MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cailohfornia

Madonna's LIVE VOCALS on all tours

1 hour ago, cailohfornia said:

Oh the ever coveted FLORENCE SHOW! Been wanting to see it since I realized that Ciao Italia is edited how it is (hello necklace-bye necklace lol)

I wonder if we’ll ever get the full Florence show which apparently had so many pranks on Madonna and crew! Wow 

This guy has uploaded lots of WTG Tour audio recordings(including the full show in Florence),  quality is not the best obviously but it's great nonetheless, here's the link courtesy of 'kasell2016' from MI.

http://mega.nz/#F!5jJiWJDR!yxsuneuEXe6lw4cysRJNaA

Guest cailohfornia
1 hour ago, jaron said:

I think the live broadcast of DWT was better in terms of her voice, camera and crowd cheering.

If you watch the DVD everything is so manipulated, especially that gorgeous moment of La Isla Bonita. Its horrible.

I cant find the HBO broadcast of DWT on youtube, maybe someone has it and uploads here ?

Besides Ms live vocals, another point which is important for me is the crowd cheering. In every DVD from DWT to RH its just messed up. They can do that much better.

I hope you're a DWT superfan like I am and it seems like you are! Yay!

I love the DVD and was one of my obsessions for a whiiiiile and the entire tour in itself concept-wise, staging, tone, songs... everything! It's just so brilliant. But I have to agree with you. The DWT DVD I feel was the start of the application of visual effects and sound mixing/sound manipulation that we now know today. ROL is a prime example of this backdrop interposed on the main concert video that's just so... distracting. Because of these effects, I suspect two things that happened:

1. the frame rate dropped from the original 60fps of the HBO broadcast that has that "live TV/soap opera effect" motion (UGH)
  2. so many good camera angles and closeups from the broadcast were replaced by alternate ones for the DVD (Madonna spazzing at the end of Impressive Instant was taken out!)

As for the audience cheers/roars... I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! They make 50% of the concert video experience! I mean Ciao Italia's crowd cheers throughout was just WHOA. Compared to later concert videos like RIT/CT... it's just wasn't the same ROARING CROWD perhaps because Madonna packed stadiums back then and later on she started doing more arenas. Idk. 

The HBO broadcast is on YouTube but the audio was blocked but you can still watch the different angles changed for the DVD! So interesting to do comparisons on both.

And to tease you, I have this in my possession

Image result for madonna drowned world tour hbo vhs

The For Your Consideration VHS of the Drowned World Tour HBO broadcast that was distributed to eligible Emmy voters since the broadcast was nominated for an Emmy.

Yup... this VHS is the closest we can get to the original 60fps, original vocals/sound mixing of the HBO broadcast.

Guest cailohfornia
24 minutes ago, Gus said:

This guy has uploaded lots of WTG Tour audio recordings(including the full show in Florence),  quality is not the best obviously but it's great nonetheless, here's the link courtesy of 'kasell2016' from MI.

http://mega.nz/#F!5jJiWJDR!yxsuneuEXe6lw4cysRJNaA

Holy mary mother of Lourdes. THANK YOU! :brenspin:

Guest cailohfornia

@Gus

I am crying. I am filled with so much emotion.

I just downloaded the WTG Florence audio and I'm hearing it for the first time! 

The delighted crowd cheers/singing during "Open Your Heart", the collective "whoa/wow" & whistles.

And when she greets the crowd and they ROAR! It's too much for me who has been so obsessed with the Ciao Italia DVD for the longest time when I was studying her as a new fan. I'm so gagged that I'm finally hearing the full greeting she did for the Firenze crowd (she even corrected how she said "anch'io" from the last show in Turin!) I am torn that I can't in any way be able to WITNESS that kind of Madonna-loving crowd and that era ever again meaning I wish I was a tween back in 1987 to witness all that glory 

"ALE OH-OH.... ALE OH-OH!"

Image result for madonna who's that girl tour gif

21 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

@Gus

I am crying. I am filled with so much emotion.

I just downloaded the WTG Florence audio and I'm hearing it for the first time! 

The delighted crowd cheers/singing during "Open Your Heart", the collective "whoa/wow" & whistles.

And when she greets the crowd and they ROAR! It's too much for me who has been so obsessed with the Ciao Italia DVD for the longest time when I was studying her as a new fan. I'm so gagged that I'm finally hearing the full greeting she did for the Firenze crowd (she even corrected how she said "anch'io" from the last show in Turin!) I am torn that I can't in any way be able to WITNESS that kind of Madonna-loving crowd and that era ever again meaning I wish I was a tween back in 1987 to witness all that glory 

"ALE OH-OH.... ALE OH-OH!"

Glad you like it!!! The WTGT is really an amazing point in Madonna's career!

wow great thread. And just imagine, with so much choreo, there's still a very big chunk of live vocals! 

13 hours ago, Gus said:

LOL so true!

To me LAV and SOL sounded so much better in Europe, even if she was a bit hoarse at times...how i miss that voice!!!

She was a damn good vocalist considering she had only had limited training at this point.

11 hours ago, cailohfornia said:

Yes guttural is the freaking word! 

WTG Tokyo / BAT Yokohama to me both have that wafer thin “oh I’m gonna preserve my voice by singing so breathily” vocals — and I don’t like it! 

Well I disagree about the WTG vocals, the Japan show has a freshness and control to the sound that I prefer whereas towards the end of the tour they just sounded, well... bad. BA on the other hand, the throat problems were there from the very beginning  (I remember a BBC interview during rehearsals where her voice was already completely shot) and the early vox just sounded so thin and scratchy which morphed into that deep gnarly sound which came across a lot more powerful.

Pat Leonard mixed the live sound for the Japan release btw, not Ciao Italia.

10 hours ago, jaron said:

I think the live broadcast of DWT was better in terms of her voice, camera and crowd cheering.

If you watch the DVD everything is so manipulated, especially that gorgeous moment of La Isla Bonita. Its horrible.

I cant find the HBO broadcast of DWT on youtube, maybe someone has it and uploads here ?

Besides Ms live vocals, another point which is important for me is the crowd cheering. In every DVD from DWT to RH its just messed up. They can do that much better.

I really don't like the DWT DVD as it bears no relation to what I remember seeing live, but the sound I quite like. I remember the strings in Frozen being really muted in the live broadcast but brought out beautifully in the DVD mix. 

Things really went to shit mixing wise starting from S&S, or maybe even Confessions with its looped crowd noise, but it wasn't too bad.

14 hours ago, cailohfornia said:

I hope you're a DWT superfan like I am and it seems like you are! Yay!

The HBO broadcast is on YouTube but the audio was blocked but you can still watch the different angles changed for the DVD! So interesting to do comparisons on both.

And to tease you, I have this in my possession

Image result for madonna drowned world tour hbo vhs

The For Your Consideration VHS of the Drowned World Tour HBO broadcast that was distributed to eligible Emmy voters since the broadcast was nominated for an Emmy.

Yup... this VHS is the closest we can get to the original 60fps, original vocals/sound mixing of the HBO broadcast.

OMG, I am jealous now :D

DWT was really great but dark. Its not a fun show like RHT which is actually my favorites. But it has really good moments which make it so special for me. I love the last part of the show and the Geisha theme.

But crowds cheering is sometimes wrongfully done.

I remember during  RHT in Cologne, the crowd went crazy when they heard the first melodys of La Isla bonita, but on the DVD you cant hear that. They took it to Material Girls instead :p which is also a great track.

As Kim said, Things really went to shit mixing wise starting from S&S . I did like COAD though, although I hate the moment when she does the "yeeeah" thing during my favorite remix Subsitute for love. Its cringey for me :chuckle:

Guest cailohfornia
8 hours ago, karbatal said:

wow great thread. And just imagine, with so much choreo, there's still a very big chunk of live vocals! 

Thank you! Her vocals and vocal transformation are just a huge fascination of mine like many others here!

Yes there is no one other with such discipline and determination to PERFORM as best as they can (dance + sing). 

Guest cailohfornia
5 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

She was a damn good vocalist considering she had only had limited training at this point.

She was a damn good vocalist considering she initially wanted to do only professional dancing around the time she moved from Detroit to NYC.

Considering the possibility that she perhaps had no vocal training at all when she started. Pure drive.

Guest cailohfornia
5 hours ago, Kim said:

Well I disagree about the WTG vocals, the Japan show has a freshness and control to the sound that I prefer whereas towards the end of the tour they just sounded, well... bad. BA on the other hand, the throat problems were there from the very beginning  (I remember a BBC interview during rehearsals where her voice was already completely shot) and the early vox just sounded so thin and scratchy which morphed into that deep gnarly sound which came across a lot more powerful.

Pat Leonard mixed the live sound for the Japan release btw, not Ciao Italia.

You're right, WTG Japan sounded fresh. But I still prefer the hoarse, unsuppressed vocals towards the end! Turin + Florence especially. 

And thanks for the info! What would we do without Pat Leonard

This is Madonna's personal monitor engineer for her last 5 tours, here he talks about the music, backing vocals/ playback, etc.

It's pretty long but interesting stuff.

7 hours ago, Gus said:

This is Madonna's personal monitor engineer for her last 5 tours, here he talks about the music, backing vocals/ playback, etc.

It's pretty long but interesting stuff.

This is really cool 

love this tech stuff

Amazing thread!

Someone talked about Vogue during RHT being a new prerecorded vocal. I think it's just the original vocal pitched down which makes it sound like it's not even her singing it. It's especially noticeable on the final release.

Does anyone have a link to a youtube video of the RIT performance of Express Yourself and Madonna sings the “Dont go for...” too early and then realizes it and says “oh shit”?

I saw it in a thread on here but I  cant remember which one.

I did a thread like this some time ago on Infinity and here are some corrections to make. There are some confusions due to the fact that sometimes, the backing track is really loud. (If I do not say anything about a song, then it means that it was sung live, with or without backing track help).

The Virgin Tour, Who's That Girl Tour and Sticky and Sweet Tour were all 100% live!

Blond Ambition Tour:

-Express Yourself was live during the first few shows, but was then lip-synced.

-Now I'm Following You and Vogue were lip-synced, though live vocals can be heard at the end of Vogue during the Barcelona show.

The Girlie Show:

-Erotica's sung portions were live during the first show, then it was completely lip-synced for the rest of the tour.

-Fever was lip-synced during most of the Europe shows, but otherwise was live.

-Justify My Love is lip-synced for most of the song, but towards the end, it's live.

Drowned World Tour:

-Sky Fits Heaven is lip-synced.

Re-Invention Tour:

-Vogue, Nobody Knows Me and Die Another Day were lip-synced during all the shows.

-American Life's autotuned and rap sections were lip-synced as well.

-Papa Don't Preach and Into the Groove were lip-synced for most of the tour. Into the Groove was sung live once if I'm not mistaken, while Papa Don't Preach was sung live multiple times throughout the tour.

Confessions Tour:

-Future Lovers/I Feel Love was live during the first show, but was then lip-synced for the rest of the tour.

-Sorry was lip-synced except the few bits at the end where it's live. Same for Lucky Star, where it's all playback except the bridge and the final chorus.

-During the show at Fresno, Madonna was sick and lip-synced more songs than usual. She lip-synced the songs mentionned above as described, but also lip-synced Music Inferno, Erotica/You Thrill Me, La Isla Bonita and Hung Up (except the final chorus).

MDNA Tour:

-Girl Gone Wild, Revolver, Hung Up, Give Me All Your Luvin' and Vogue were lip-synced from the beggining to the end during all the shows.

-Gang Bang's first lines, as well as the shouting bits at the end, are live, but the rest of the song is lip-synced.

-For most of the Express Yourself performances, the choruses and Born This Way part weren't live but the rest was. However, she sometimes lip-synced the song in full as well (except the intro and "1,2,3,4!").

-Most of the I'm Addicted performances were live, however, like Express Yourself, it was sometimes fully lip-synced.

-Celebration's verses are live, but the pre-choruses and choruses aren't. The Give It 2 Me bit is live tho.

Rebel Heart Tour:

-Bitch I'm Madonna was initially sung live, but after a few shows, it was lip-synced except for the shouting parts.

-The Vogue rap is lip-synced.

-During the gypsy medley, Into the Groove was lip-synced occasionally.

Once again, songs that aren't mentionned were sung live, with or without backing vocals assist.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:07 AM, Curtains said:

I did a thread like this some time ago on Infinity and here are some corrections to make. There are some confusions due to the fact that sometimes, the backing track is really loud. (If I do not say anything about a song, then it means that it was sung live, with or without backing track help).

The Virgin Tour, Who's That Girl Tour and Sticky and Sweet Tour were all 100% live!

Blond Ambition Tour:

-Express Yourself was live during the first few shows, but was then lip-synced.

-Now I'm Following You and Vogue were lip-synced, though live vocals can be heard at the end of Vogue during the Barcelona show.

The Girlie Show:

-Erotica's sung portions were live during the first show, then it was completely lip-synced for the rest of the tour.

-Fever was lip-synced during most of the Europe shows, but otherwise was live.

-Justify My Love is lip-synced for most of the song, but towards the end, it's live.

Drowned World Tour:

-Sky Fits Heaven is lip-synced.

Re-Invention Tour:

-Vogue, Nobody Knows Me and Die Another Day were lip-synced during all the shows.

-American Life's autotuned and rap sections were lip-synced as well.

-Papa Don't Preach and Into the Groove were lip-synced for most of the tour. Into the Groove was sung live once if I'm not mistaken, while Papa Don't Preach was sung live multiple times throughout the tour.

Confessions Tour:

-Future Lovers/I Feel Love was live during the first show, but was then lip-synced for the rest of the tour.

-Sorry was lip-synced except the few bits at the end where it's live. Same for Lucky Star, where it's all playback except the bridge and the final chorus.

-During the show at Fresno, Madonna was sick and lip-synced more songs than usual. She lip-synced the songs mentionned above as described, but also lip-synced Music Inferno, Erotica/You Thrill Me, La Isla Bonita and Hung Up (except the final chorus).

MDNA Tour:

-Girl Gone Wild, Revolver, Hung Up, Give Me All Your Luvin' and Vogue were lip-synced from the beggining to the end during all the shows.

-Gang Bang's first lines, as well as the shouting bits at the end, are live, but the rest of the song is lip-synced.

-For most of the Express Yourself performances, the choruses and Born This Way part weren't live but the rest was. However, she sometimes lip-synced the song in full as well (except the intro and "1,2,3,4!").

-Most of the I'm Addicted performances were live, however, like Express Yourself, it was sometimes fully lip-synced.

-Celebration's verses are live, but the pre-choruses and choruses aren't. The Give It 2 Me bit is live tho.

Rebel Heart Tour:

-Bitch I'm Madonna was initially sung live, but after a few shows, it was lip-synced except for the shouting parts.

-The Vogue rap is lip-synced.

-During the gypsy medley, Into the Groove was lip-synced occasionally.

Once again, songs that aren't mentionned were sung live, with or without backing vocals assist.

Vogue on girlie is Lypsinched too

On 9/11/2017 at 12:35 AM, dcbyebyebaby said:

Does anyone have a link to a youtube video of the RIT performance of Express Yourself and Madonna sings the “Dont go for...” too early and then realizes it and says “oh shit”?

I saw it in a thread on here but I  cant remember which one.

On 12 novembre 2017 at 10:39 PM, Starman said:

Vogue on girlie is Lypsinched too

It's actually live with backing assist, the soundboard recording that leaked some time ago proves this. She's mixed in lower as the song goes by, but still sings the entire song.