MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cailohfornia

Madonna's LIVE VOCALS on all tours

Guest cailohfornia
1 hour ago, Kim said:

The 5:1 mix (which I understand from previous threads here is the only mix on the USA Girlie Show DVD unlike international editions which have the superior stereo mix on one side of the disc and the surround mix on the other) isolates the vocal (and drum) track on the centre channel so all those little vocal inconsistencies are picked up easily. All the complaints about The Girlie Show sound over the years seems to come from US fans listening to that surround mix through their regular TV/PC speakers and it does indeed sound bad. I don't understand why the regular stereo mix (which is great) was omitted from the US DVD. Further proof (if it were needed) that upgraded, new releases of some of Madonna's past artistic endeavours is LONG overdue.

I understand what you mean because when I first watched the GST back when I was growing up in the Philippines, it was on VCD (Asian market’s lower quality DVDs back in early 2000s) where the concert was divided on 2 VCD’s and had a much lower quality and def a lower frame rate! It was from Warner Music Philippines so like you guys had said that the STEREO SOUND MIX is on the international releases hence there were less surround sound-like additions to that VCD I owned.

When I moved to the U.S. and finally got the GST DVD it definitely had those sound effects/musical parts that I didn’t hear on the VCD I had! The vocals sound more... mixed/had mixing done although I know it’s live. The DVD audio is different from the clear simple stereo audio from the VCD (international release).

So yeah I don’t know why the US DVD only had ONE audio option of 5.1 mix... but for me, it’s alright cause I know the entire DVD was based off the LIVE BROADCAST so all’s good ☺️

Guest cailohfornia
1 hour ago, Gus said:

It wasn't like that on the HBO broadcast, doubt it was an error though i do remember a fax from November 1993 that leaked some time ago where Madonna was telling someone about how disappointed she was about the camera work/ sound of the HBO special so who knows really...

Omg! Did she really think so? I wonder why because she even said on the Sydney date (GST DVD) how she liked it when cameras zoom in for a closeup... and the closeups were damn good and concert video release/DVD was so rich with closeups! If she went into the editing room for the LD/VHS release then I’m glad cause it meant she was still willing to release it for us to own back then despite her not liking the HBO broadcast.

The GST DVD truly is a pop music masterpiece! I love how it’s 60fps specifically (same with WTGT/BAT video releases + DWT HBO broadcast)

Guest cailohfornia

By the way @Kim @Gus and all y’all Madonna loons, while we’re discussing sound/vocal mixing on concert video releases...

Did you guys ever make the observation that for the DWT DVD the LIVE VOCALS on some tiny parts were — let’s say — edited/autotuned/fixed compared to the HBO broadcast super raw live vocals lol!?!?? 

Did the post production team think some parts were like bad or off key? Lol

18 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

By the way @Kim @Gus and all y’all Madonna loons, while we’re discussing sound/vocal mixing on concert video releases...

Did you guys ever make the observation that for the DWT DVD the LIVE VOCALS on some tiny parts were — let’s say — edited/autotuned/fixed compared to the HBO broadcast!?!?? 

Yes, all the shows that aired live on TV before getting an official release got some post production work to clean them up a bit - going back to the original 16/32 track tapes and constructing a new mix and smoothing out the odd dodgy vocal in the process. That's industry standard and everyone does it. Understandable, as whoever is on the sound desk during a live broadcast is very limited in what they can do to make everything sound as perfect as it should. All except BA Nice which for some unfathomable reason (maybe time constraints, maybe something happened to the tapes) was put on laser disc with the very same (crap) sound mix that aired on HBO. Now I personally love that throaty growly BA vocal she had as the tour progressed, but it could  and should have been mixed better with the instrumentation in post production. 

34 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

By the way @Kim @Gus Did you guys ever make the observation that for the DWT DVD the LIVE VOCALS on some tiny parts were — let’s say — edited/autotuned/fixed compared to the HBO broadcast super raw live vocals lol!?!?? 

Yes, like Kim said, that was already being done to the Virgin Tour/ Ciao Italia/ Girlie Show releases...some more obvious than others...

One of the most obvious examples that i remember(though not officially released), was the Girlie Show from Fukuoka tv broadcast during La Isla Bonita

0:32

Had it been released on dvd i'm sure they would've made it a little less obvious lol

12 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yes, like Kim said, that was already being done to the Virgin Tour/ Ciao Italia/ Girlie Show releases...some more obvious than others...

One of the most obvious examples that i remember(though not officially released), was the Girlie Show from Fukuoka tv broadcast during La Isla Bonita

Had it been released on dvd i'm sure they would've made it a little less obvious lol

This is the obvious example I can think of. Same song, different tour - from the Euro WTG broadcast -

Loved listening to that GS LIB clip again though. Madonna belting it out in great voice with a great live, organic band!

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

This is the obvious example I can think of. Same song, different tour from the Euro WTG broadcast -

Yes, i forgot about that one! 

Same show during Lucky Star at 1:47

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

Loved listening to that GS LIB clip again though. Madonna belting it out in great voice with a great live, organic band!

Definitely, one of her best!

Guest cailohfornia
51 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yes, all the shows that aired live on TV before getting an official release got some post production work to clean them up a bit - going back to the original 16/32 track tapes and constructing a new mix and smoothing out the odd dodgy vocal in the process. That's industry standard and everyone does it. Understandable, as whoever is on the sound desk during a live broadcast is very limited in what they can do to make everything sound as perfect as it should. All except BA Nice which for some unfathomable reason (maybe time constraints, maybe something happened to the tapes) was put on laser disc with the very same (crap) sound mix that aired on HBO. Now I personally love that throaty growly BA vocal she had as the tour progressed, but it could  and should have been mixed better with the instrumentation in post production. 

Amazing info thanks especially about the track tapes and about the industry standard way of just “cleaning up” vocals and sound! That’s why TV broadcasts like Torino, Barcelona, Nice, Fukouka, DWT HBO could prob be one of the few TRUE UNEDITED FULLY LIVE MADONNA CONCERTS we can ever see or have seen!

The more authentic the better! Although I still appreciate and love the “cleaned up” DVD/LD/VHS releases we’ve gotten! 👍🏼

14 minutes ago, Gus said:

Ah, and I'd forgotten about that one!!

Of course, the mother of them all is...

...not just for the forgotten line, but the fact that the vocal on this song on every date in Europe sounded like it was coming straight from the fiery pits of hell itself - which I love, LOL!

MDNA Tour from the 2nd night in Miami soundboard has leaked tonight

Guest cailohfornia
43 minutes ago, Gus said:

32 minutes ago, Kim said:

This is the obvious example I can think of. Same song, different tour - from the Euro WTG broadcast -

24 minutes ago, Gus said:

Definitely, one of her best!

Wow the Fukouka LIB though. Yep they definitely would’ve edited that (or kept it — GST US DVD Vogue).

The Rai Italian TV broadcast is prob the most genuine display of LIVE CONCERT cause the *bloopers* and that rowdy Italian crowd lol! Love it though! So raw and so live ugh.

I wonder from what audio they took the “cause you make the darkness seem so far” on the Ciao Italia audio cause obviously the TV broadcast she messed up.

I do know it was the genius of Pat Leonard who did the sound mixing idk during the tour or post broadcast as I saw recently on Instagram.

Guest cailohfornia
8 minutes ago, Kim said:

...not just for the forgotten line, but the fact that the vocal on this song on every date in Europe sounded like it was coming straight from the fiery pits of hell itself - which I love, LOL!

THOSE DEEP RASPY LOWER REGISTER VOCALS ADVANCING TO A MID REGISTER HEAD VOICE ON THE HIGH NOTES omg. Jazz queen!

Guest cailohfornia
11 minutes ago, hawes-king said:

MDNA Tour from the 2nd night in Miami soundboard has leaked tonight

Oooooh okay! 

LINK IT UP 😏

11 minutes ago, Kim said:

LOL so true!

To me LAV and SOL sounded so much better in Europe, even if she was a bit hoarse at times...how i miss that voice!!!

12 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

I wonder from what audio they took the “cause you make the darkness seem so far” on the Ciao Italia audio cause obviously the TV broadcast she messed up.

I believe it's from the last show in Florence.

25 minutes ago, Gus said:

LOL so true!

To me LAV and SOL sounded so much better in Europe, even if she was a bit hoarse at times...how i miss that voice!!!

Totally. Another reason I can't be doing with that Yokohama show with its wafer-thin, high pitched LAV and SOL. Gimme me that guttural grunting vocal any day!

16 minutes ago, Kim said:

Totally. Another reason I can't be doing with that Yokohama show with its wafer-thin, high pitched LAV and SOL. Gimme me that guttural grunting vocal any day!

Yes, i feel the same about Japan. 

The New Jersey show i did like, seems like she was midway from the high pitched squeeky voice from Japan and the hoarse, much deeper voice from Europe...

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Yes, i feel the same about Japan. 

The New Jersey show i did like, seems like she was midway from the high pitched squeeky voice from Japan and the hoarse, much deeper voice from Europe...

We're totally on the same wavelength as regards BA VOX!  I wish that Dallas bootleg (or Westwood radio show whatever it is) was from a bit later in the US leg as that was definitely the sweet spot between the two vocally, and the instrumentation had beefed up a bit by then as well.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Gimme me that guttural grunting vocal any day!

Vogue @ Wembley 1990 (the radio broadcast) comes to my mind as well. I prefer these imperfect vocals any time over polished phoniness. 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

We're totally on the same wavelength as regards BA VOX!  I wish that Dallas bootleg (or Westwood radio show whatever it is) was from a bit later in the US leg as that was definitely the sweet spot between the two vocally, and the instrumentation had beefed up a bit by then as well.

Absolutely, would've been great to have one of those US shows in HQ!

I still have hopes for a HQ stereo file of the NJ show...oh well

Guest cailohfornia
2 hours ago, Gus said:

I believe it's from the last show in Florence.

Makes sense. 

Oh the ever coveted FLORENCE SHOW! Been wanting to see it since I realized that Ciao Italia is edited how it is (hello necklace-bye necklace lol)

I wonder if we’ll ever get the full Florence show which apparently had so many pranks on Madonna and crew! Wow 

Guest cailohfornia
2 hours ago, Kim said:

Yes guttural is the freaking word! 

WTG Tokyo / BAT Yokohama to me both have that wafer thin “oh I’m gonna preserve my voice by singing so breathily” vocals — and I don’t like it! 

Give me Torino hoarseness any day!

Guest cailohfornia
1 hour ago, Cyber-Raga said:

Vogue @ Wembley 1990 (the radio broadcast) comes to my mind as well. I prefer these imperfect vocals any time over polished phoniness. 

YAS YAS YAS! 💯

*replays (emotional) Live To Tell performance from WTGT* 😭

I think the live broadcast of DWT was better in terms of her voice, camera and crowd cheering.

If you watch the DVD everything is so manipulated, especially that gorgeous moment of La Isla Bonita. Its horrible.

I cant find the HBO broadcast of DWT on youtube, maybe someone has it and uploads here ?

Besides Ms live vocals, another point which is important for me is the crowd cheering. In every DVD from DWT to RH its just messed up. They can do that much better.