MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cailohfornia

Madonna's LIVE VOCALS on all tours

Guest cailohfornia
13 minutes ago, Kim said:

No. You can't praise WTG for it's 100% live vox (which it is) then give such a high percentage to RHT( based mostly on inner-ear feed bootlegs that we were never meant to hear) when we all know that she was basically dipping in and out of singing over very loud backing tracks on every single date on every single high tempo track.

You're right! I should have analyzed it based on what we were supposed to hear not on leaks/bootleg earpiece feeds like you said; I just thought they were solid proofs of her singing/dipping in and out with live vocals which were enough for me to attest to her live singing for RHT, that's all. I'll just leave the percentage for RHT as undetermined just to be safe. I have to praise M for still trying to sing live and not solely relying fully on the obvious backing tracks though! Thanks @Kim 

Virgin Tour - 100%
Who's That Girl - 100%
Blond Ambition - 70%
Girlie Show - 80%
Drowned World - 80%
Reinvention - 70%
Confessions - 50%
Sticky - 50%
MDNA - 50%
Rebel Heart - 40%

#handleit

Guest cailohfornia
7 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

Virgin Tour - 100%
Who's That Girl - 100%
Blond Ambition - 70%
Girlie Show - 80%
Drowned World - 80%
Reinvention - 70%
Confessions - 50%
Sticky - 50%
MDNA - 50%
Rebel Heart - 40%

#handleit

Fascinating! Thank you for this! I'll make adjustments/updates and do more research

Image result for madonna who's that girl tour gifImage result for madonna who's that girl tour gif

There's a difference between 100% playback (e.g. "Now I'm Following You" on BAT) and Madonna singing live over a "soft" double up of her lead vocal (e.g. "Burning Up" on RHT - she's clearly singing live and loudly in that clip posted above where she misses her cue).  The real question is, who actually decides from night to night the exact mix/balance of the two vocal tracks, since for some songs, it clearly differs from show to show (for the record, I think she actually sings live the whole time she's on stage, but the audience doesn't always hear that).  In "Vogue" on the BAT, at least for the Barcelona show, she actually sang the "Oooh....you've got to..." outro after the rap (over a "guide" vocal, true, but she's definitely singing live herself).  She also sang "Vogue" live during rehearsals, so it's unknown as to why the actual performance used a support vocal. 

Fans bicker amongst themselves about whether have a supporting vocal means that Madonna's actually singing live or not (e.g. LAV at the MTV Awards in 1984, "Bye Bye Baby" at thee MTV Awards in 1993 etc. etc.).  If she were doubling up her vocals during something like LTT, then it might be considered odd, but in anything uptempo, doubling up the vocal to strengthen it makes sense. 

Guest cailohfornia
7 hours ago, Carta said:

There's a difference between 100% playback (e.g. "Now I'm Following You" on BAT) and Madonna singing live over a "soft" double up of her lead vocal (e.g. "Burning Up" on RHT - she's clearly singing live and loudly in that clip posted above where she misses her cue).  The real question is, who actually decides from night to night the exact mix/balance of the two vocal tracks, since for some songs, it clearly differs from show to show (for the record, I think she actually sings live the whole time she's on stage, but the audience doesn't always hear that).  In "Vogue" on the BAT, at least for the Barcelona show, she actually sang the "Oooh....you've got to..." outro after the rap (over a "guide" vocal, true, but she's definitely singing live herself).  She also sang "Vogue" live during rehearsals, so it's unknown as to why the actual performance used a support vocal. 

Fans bicker amongst themselves about whether have a supporting vocal means that Madonna's actually singing live or not (e.g. LAV at the MTV Awards in 1984, "Bye Bye Baby" at thee MTV Awards in 1993 etc. etc.).  If she were doubling up her vocals during something like LTT, then it might be considered odd, but in anything uptempo, doubling up the vocal to strengthen it makes sense. 

tumblr_o9gcy7IH4h1u2gzw0o1_500.gif

Yes thank you for this. This is what my thoughts and thinking processes were when it comes to her actually probably singing live during whole concert shows (BAT, GST and now arguably the RHT like I initially asserted earlier in the thread). Thank you for the terms you used too! Makes sense to me a lot.

Yes I have seen the rehearsals of “Vogue” for BAT and live vocals are heard. So yes I sill believe she sings live on many of the BAT/GST/RHT concert dates and like you said it’s just a matter of who’s turning her mic up or down for a certain date/how she wants the sound technicalities to be for that night... aka what we actually hear.

And as for the VMA performances you mentioned... I know from my heart they are live with supporting album version vocals or without. At least LAV was. Sure of it.

Thank you!

We all know that the first time Madonna sang Vogue live was Sticky & Sweet. Let's not rewrite history and claim Vogue on BA tour was live because during a line or two on some random dates the mic picked up her voice when she chose to sing over the lead track (not even backing track - lead track)

Just like that recent thread comparing the Burning Up performances. RIT raw and live and wonderful. RHT terrible vocal over loud, loud backing track. Both are not equal, which is where the problem comes with this percentage system.

Kinda live, almost live, a wee bit live, nearly live - doesn't cut it.

Love this thread ! ❤️

Guest cailohfornia
2 hours ago, Kim said:

Just like that recent thread comparing the Burning Up performances. RIT raw and live and wonderful. RHT terrible vocal over loud, loud backing track.

Agree with this. I’ll def recalculate the percentages later and count the “almost live/half live/dipping in and out with live vocals” concept into the calculations (IF I CAN EVEN FIGURE THEM OUT DUE TO VARYING SOUND TECHNICALITIES ON CERTAIN DATES lol)

But great point!

Guest cailohfornia
2 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

TOACL: 25% live vocals

I kid, I kid :lol: 

Omg lol!

“Send in The Clowns” and ”Toxic” though 🙌🏼🔥

Guest cailohfornia
1 hour ago, runa said:

Love this thread ! ❤️

I just wanted to highlight that she DOES sing most of her shows LIVE. I mean aren’t we all so proud of VT & WTGT performed live all throughout? Wow 

1 minute ago, cailohfornia said:

Omg lol!

“Send in The Clowns” and ”Toxic” though 🙌🏼🔥

"tawk...sick, sick, sick" :lmao: 

Guest cailohfornia
5 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"tawk...sick, sick, sick" :lmao: 

tumblr_m86zg64qTi1qdcxoeo1_500.gif

Kweens.

Just now, cailohfornia said:

Kweens.

I love the echoed vocals!!! She gave the song a darker, more sinister spin 

Guest cailohfornia
12 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I love the echoed vocals!!! She gave the song a darker, more sinister spin 

Yup loved it. It’s so sinister it easily could’ve been the opening theme to AHS Cult 

Guest cailohfornia

Updated the *percentages* on the initial thread post y'all after adding your precious inputs/corrections (lol!)

I'll keep updating and researching and sitting through tons OF pixelated fan footages uploaded 7-9 years ago on YouTube lol!

Please don't eat me, hehe. 

Image result for marge worried

Thanks to @Kim @Dr Lecter @Rugbyguy @FeTuoni @Carta @Gus @Suedehead @Bat-Fan

All LOVE to one of the greatest performance artists evarrr!

Image result for marge happy gif

I find it interesting that on one side of the GS DVD, you can clearly hear Madonna singing the first few lines of "Vogue", but on the other side, you don't hear her at all (yet it's the same performance).  Did she sing the whole thing live on the night?  Did they decide to replace her vocal with a track for broadcast/DVD purposes?  Why have different audio tracks on the different sides of the DVD?  What tomfoolery is at play here?!  :beret:

Fascinating thread :clap:

Thank you @cailohfornia

Madonna is phenomenal for singing live everything that can be sung live, in light of the fact she's always been a proficient and energetic physical performer. She's unlike any other just for this.

Competitors male or female from the 80s, 90s or whenever will never have a VT or WTG rate to their resume. Especially all those acts that were put together by a factory, a family name or a powerful spouse and don't minimally have her immaculate touring trek record, as far as non cancellations etc go.

I love the rawness and emotion in her voice of VT, WTG but with DWT, RIT and CT in particular she reached a whole different level. She also deserves praise for being one of very few singers to have engaged with several different vocal styles.

Anyone who keeps spreading the false myth of "Madonna can't really sing" should try and sing one of her songs from any career point and compare it to how she sings it

MDNA and RH also have some spectacular live singing moment. It's not so much about the percentage itself but about the nature of any specific tours of her. The Evita part on S&S was also a high point

Guest cailohfornia
7 hours ago, Carta said:

I find it interesting that on one side of the GS DVD, you can clearly hear Madonna singing the first few lines of "Vogue", but on the other side, you don't hear her at all (yet it's the same performance).  Did she sing the whole thing live on the night?  Did they decide to replace her vocal with a track for broadcast/DVD purposes?  Why have different audio tracks on the different sides of the DVD?  What tomfoolery is at play here?!  :beret:

Oh my God i thought the same thing! The GST DVD has DTS/Dolby 5.1 Channel Surround Sound feature so little sound details pop up like a crisper thunder during “Rain” + trombones on “Holiday” during the fanfare music... I think that’s amazing because this was again done on the DWT DVD.

Yes and on “Vogue” like I mentioned on the initial post, you do hear live vocals for like 8 bars then it’s gone. No one knows for sure if this was intended for the HBO broadcast or was a technical error, who knows why they did those technical differences! 

All I know is Madonna was and hopefully is able to perform an entire set list live if she wanted to. So yes MADONNA IS A LIVE SINGER AND ONE OF THE BEST at that.

Guest cailohfornia
3 hours ago, XXL said:

Fascinating thread :clap:

Thank you @cailohfornia

Madonna is phenomenal for singing live everything that can be sung live, in light of the fact she's always been a proficient and energetic physical performer. She's unlike any other just for this.

Competitors male or female from the 80s, 90s or whenever will never have a VT or WTG rate to their resume. Especially all those acts that were put together by a factory, a family name or a powerful spouse and don't minimally have her immaculate touring trek record, as far as non cancellations etc go.

I love the rawness and emotion in her voice of VT, WTG but with DWT, RIT and CT in particular she reached a whole different level. She also deserves praise for being one of very few singers to have engaged with several different vocal styles.

Anyone who keeps spreading the false myth of "Madonna can't really sing" should try and sing one of her songs from any career point and compare it to how she sings it

MDNA and RH also have some spectacular live singing moment. It's not so much about the percentage itself but about the nature of any specific tours of her. The Evita part on S&S was also a high point

THIS THIS THIS. I am emotional just reading what you wrote cause it’s 100% what I feel about her.

You just summed up why I love her so much and why I am such a fan of Madonna  the Vocalist + performance artist. There is no one else that has this kind of capability to entertain, captivate, and command.

I am so especially proud of her first two tours in which she sang live! That alone is a testament to her artistry and perseverance. All the tours you mentioned are exactly all the tours I KNOW she had amazing vocals on — I mean how can one not be mesmerized if the different ranges/registers/styles she has done not only on each tour but even on the same tour!? I mean... I’m still in awe and also mystified by this. She is something truly special. 

Thanks for sharing 🙏🏼

Adele-25-Cry-Madonna.gif 

24 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

Oh my God i thought the same thing! The GST DVD has DTS/Dolby 5.1 Channel Surround Sound feature so little sound details pop up like a crisper thunder during “Rain” + trombones on “Holiday” during the fanfare music... I think that’s amazing because this was again done on the DWT DVD.

Yes and on “Vogue” like I mentioned on the initial post, you do hear live vocals for like 8 bars then it’s gone. No one knows for sure if this was intended for the HBO broadcast or was a technical error, who knows why they did those technical differences! 

All I know is Madonna was and hopefully is able to perform an entire set list live if she wanted to. So yes MADONNA IS A LIVE SINGER AND ONE OF THE BEST at that.

The 5:1 mix (which I understand from previous threads here is the only mix on the USA Girlie Show DVD) unlike international editions which have the superior stereo mix on one side of the disc and the surround mix on the other, isolates the vocal (and drum) track on the centre channel so all those little vocal inconsistencies are picked up easily. All the complaints about The Girlie Show sound over the years seems to come from US fans listening to that surround mix through their regular TV/PC speakers and it does indeed sound bad. I don't understand why the regular stereo mix (which is great) was omitted from the US DVD. Further proof (if it were needed) that upgraded, new releases of some of Madonna's past artistic endeavours is LONG overdue.

22 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

Yes and on “Vogue” like I mentioned on the initial post, you do hear live vocals for like 8 bars then it’s gone. No one knows for sure if this was intended for the HBO broadcast or was a technical error, who knows why they did those technical differences

It wasn't like that on the HBO broadcast, doubt it was an error though i do remember a fax from November 1993 that leaked some time ago where Madonna was telling someone about how disappointed she was about the camera work/ sound of the HBO special so who knows really...

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

It wasn't like that on the HBO broadcast, doubt it was an error though i do remember a fax from November 1993 that leaked some time ago where Madonna was telling someone about how disappointed she was about the camera work/ sound of the HBO special so who knows really...

It's only like that on the 5:1 mix which boosts the vocals when listening to it through regular speakers.

The stereo mix - a cleaned up and remixed version of the HBO original, which debuted on VHS and laserdisk is a great live sound. If it's true that the US DVD omits that version then I'm perplexed as to why. Not everyone, especially then, had a surround set up.

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

It's only like that on the 5:1 mix which boosts the vocals when listening to it through regular speakers.

The stereo mix - a cleaned up and remixed version of the HBO original, which debuted on VHS and laserdisk is a great live sound. If it's true that the US DVD omits that version then I'm perplexed as to why. Not everyone, especially then, had a surround set up.

Yes, i originally purchased the vhs and the sound is great, what i didn't know is that the international version of the dvd has the stereo mix, i had no idea the region 1 version was the only one with just one audio option...

18 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yes, i originally purchased the vhs and the sound is great, what i didn't know is that the international version of the dvd has the stereo mix, i had no idea the region 1 version was the only one with just one audio option...

Yeah I discovered it years ago on this forum when I couldn't understand where all the complaints were coming from. The disc is one of the few double sided DVDs I own. Side 1 has the good stereo mix and the other side has the 5:1. Why they didn't just have the two audio options on the one side is anyone's guess. Why they altogether omitted the best mix from the USA disc is another. Weird!!!