MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cailohfornia

Madonna's LIVE VOCALS on all tours

Guest cailohfornia

Madonna is known as one of the greatest live performers in music and her concerts are an impressive testament to such an accolade. This thread breaks down just how much Madonna did and does sing live/use live vocals on her concert tours over the years.

• Please comment on whatever you find incorrect/missed info on my analysis & enlighten us with whatever little known detail/correction you guys may have!
  • Please note that all song counts given on some of the tours do not include openings and interludes as they are included on the actual set lists

1. The Virgin Tour 1985

• 13 of 13 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals along with simple to complex choreography/energetic movement
    • based on the official concert video release Virgin Tour Live + full audio recording of the Detroit concert used in the concert release which includes "Angel" "Borderline" and "Burning Up"
  • Live vocal usage = 100% 
    • percentage goes for the official video release which applies to all tour dates

2. Who's That Girl Tour 1987

• 16 of 16 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals despite a much more rigorous dancing/energetic choreography/dance sequences
    • based on the 2 official concert DVD and video releases Ciao Italia Live From Italy + Who's That Girl Live in Tokyo, Japan
  • Live vocal usage = 100% 
    • percentage goes for the 2 official concert video releases which also applies to all tour dates

3. Blond Ambition Tour 1990

• 14 of 18 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals despite elaborate choreography/theatrical sequences/energetic dancing 
    • based on the 2 official concert video releases Blond Ambition Tour Live in Nice, France + Blond Ambition Tour Live in Yokohama, Japan
    • this tour marks the first time Madonna started doing playback on some songs (for understandable reasons)
  • "Express Yourself" "Where's The Party" "Now I'm Following You" and "Vogue" were all performed with playback (this is okay due to the amazing rigorous choreography during these songs)
    • "Open Your Heart" is performed with live vocals during the verses but during the pre-choruses and choruses, studio vocals from the album version are added for support but nonetheless Madonna's vocals during these parts on the performance can still be heard
    • ”Papa Don’t Preach” is also performed using the same playback style in “Open Your Heart” in which live vocals are used during the verses while studio vocals from the album are again used during the pre-choruses, choruses, and bridge [thanks @Rugbyguy!]
    • "Into The Groove" is performed with live vocals mostly but during the choruses again we hear the album version added as support; Madonna's live vocals are still heard on the choruses. [thanks @Bat-Fan!]
  • Live vocal usage = 78%
    • percentage goes only for the 2 official concert video releases however it DOES NOT apply to all tour dates due to some nights apparently having live vocals sung over playback vocals on "Express Yourself" and parts of "Vogue" (Europe: Germany, Spain) [thanks @Carta ]
    • "Open Your Heart" + "Papa Don't Preach" + "Into The Groove" are all counted as full LIVE performances on the percentage calculation despite the supporting vocal use on parts of each songs to which Madonna sung over with live vocals 

4. The Girlie Show Tour 1993

• 12 of 15 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals again with elaborate choreography/theatrical sequences/energetic dancing
    • based on the official concert DVD release The Girlie Show Live Down Under
  • "Erotica" "Vogue" and "Justify My Love" were all performed with playback
    • usage of playback in "Erotica" & "Justify My Love" is pretty understandable due to the spoken word nature of the 2 songs
    • despite the playback in "Justify My Love," the upbeat part towards the end of the performance contains live vocals 
    • curious detail: During the first verse in "Vogue" you can hear her live vocals however by the second line of the first verse we only now just hear the actual album version vocals/playback. This could have been a technical error if the song was intended to be performed with playback but it's fascinating to consider that Madonna could have performed the entire song with live vocals although her mic feed was turned off/lowered. 
  • Live vocal usage = 80%
    • percentage goes only for the concert DVD release however it does not apply to all tour dates as the first few nights appear to have "Fever" using playback album version vocals although it seems Madonna was still singing over the playback vocals with her mic lowered (London, Paris, Istanbul) [thanks @Dr Lecter @Gus @Kim ]

5. Drowned World Tour 2001

• 19 of 20 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals with less rigorous but energetic choreography/movement throughout the concert
    • based on the official concert DVD concert release Drowned World Tour 2001 + HBO broadcast
    • fan footages of the Barcelona and Philadelphia concert dates used for comparison on "Sky Fits Heaven"
    • the fact that almost all of the songs were performed live is amazing considering the 8 year gap from her last live concert outing in 1993
  • "Sky Fits Heaven" is the only song that appears to be performed with playback (I compared the vocals on the DVD from a couple of fan footages and found that all vocals sound identical and sounded like playback pre-recorded studio vocals)
    • "Nobody's Perfect" is performed with live vocals though it appears otherwise; a "vocoder" effect was used in real time during the performance to make her voice sound electronica/robotic-like as on the album version
  • Live vocal usage 95%
    • percentage only goes for the official DVD concert release + HBO broadcast which also applies to all the tour dates

6. Reinvention Tour 2004

• 16 of 21 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals 
    • based on the leaked full pro-shot concert video from Lisbon, Portugal
    • used fan footages from the Paris, Washington, New York, and Slane Castle concert dates
  • "Vogue" "Nobody Knows Me" "Die Another Day" "Papa Don't Preach" and "Into The Groove" were all performed with playback pre-recorded studio vocals (again, all songs have a decent amount of choreography/energetic movement)
    • This may be controversial but at first I thought "Papa Don't Preach" and "Into The Groove" were performed live but after careful viewing/analysis/comparison of vocals from the Paris, Washington, New York, and Slane Castle concert dates all fan footages seem to have the same pre-recorded studio vocals that sounded "live" which ends up sounding/looking live during the concert and actually works for these 2 songs due to the energetic [tribal] choreography during both songs
  • Live vocal usage = 76%
    • percentage calculated only goes for the leaked full pro-shot Lisbon concert video which also applies to all the tour dates

7. Confessions Tour 2006

• 14 of 19 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals along with intense, rigorous, and energetic choreography
    • this was a very challenging and tricky concert tour to analyze since I had to watch the actual concert from fan footages during the New York concert dates so I based this conclusion not on the official concert DVD release since I suspect alterations/post-filming editing on the vocals but otherwise based it on the fan footages in which the video screens from the New York concert were recorded + Fresno concert
  • "Future Lovers/I Feel Love" "Jump" "Sorry" and "Erotica/You Thrill Me" "La Isla Bonita" were performed with playback pre-recorded studio vocals
    • "Sorry" was mostly performed entirely with playback pre-recorded studio vocals due to the rigorous, fierce choreography during the performance; the only part where she sings with live vocals is towards the end when she sings "Don't explain yourself, cause talk is cheap... there's more important things than hearing you speak" as you hear a much deeper and winded vocal
    • "Music Inferno" was performed half with live vocals; verses are live and during the chorus is playback pre-recorded studio vocals
    • "Lucky Star" was performed somewhat half with live vocals; verses are playback pre-recorded studio vocals while chorus and bridge sound live
  • Live vocal usage = ~75%
    • estimate percentage DOES NOT go for the official concert DVD release at all
    • estimate percentage only goes for the full fan footages from one of the New York concert dates and some of the Fresno concert dates as it's not know yet for sure if all tour dates have the same songs performed with playback or if those same songs on some tour dates have live vocals sung over

8. Sticky & Sweet Tour 2008

• 19 of 20 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals along with elaborate choreography and even athleticism onstage
    • this was again a very challenging concert tour to analyze as many of us know the concert DVD/Bluray release has "issues" with the vocals so I had to watch actual concert from several fan footages on various 2008 concert dates (Madison Square Garden, Atlantic City, Lisbon, Athens) but thanks to the leaked soundboards from the Lisbon/Athens concert dates it was easier to determine which songs were performed with live vocals
    • the song count includes the special performance of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" in Buenos Aires which was also sung flawlessly live!
  • ”Into The Groove” seems to be the only song with playback pre-recorded studio vocals
  • Live vocal usage = ~95%

9. The MDNA Tour 2012

• 11 of 20 songs on the set list were performed with live vocals
    • based on numerous fan footages on YouTube and not on the concert DVD/Bluray release
    • the song count doesn't include the special performances of "Beautiful Killer/Die Another Day" and "Je T'aime Moi Non Plus" during the Paris Olympia show both of which were performed with live vocals
    • the song count doesn't include "Holiday" nor "Everybody" which were performed on some concert dates and with live vocals
  • "Girl Gone Wild" "Revolver" "Gang Bang" "Hung Up" "Express Yourself/Born This Way" "Give Me All Your Luvin" "Vogue" "I'm Addicted" and "Celebration" were all performed with playback pre-recorded vocals with seemingly more effects on the vocals than usual
    • During "Celebration" the first verse contains live vocals but the pre-chorus and choruses seemed to be playback pre-recorded studio vocals
  • Live vocal usage = ~60%

10. Rebel Heart Tour 2015

• This main set list is taken from Wikipedia and MOSTLY 20 of 20 songs were all performed LIVE! (vocal enhancers/vocal effects/backing tracks are heard however)
    • special songs performed on various concert dates were all performed with live vocals as well (i.e. "Ghosttown" "Frozen" "Secret" "Take A Bow" etc.)
    • based this conclusion on my analysis of numerous fan videos + soundboard/mic feed videos uploaded on YouTube
  • "Bitch I'm Madonna" seems to have heavy album version sounding playback vocals however some parts of it have live vocals (verses, ending)
  • "Body Shop" for most of the song contains some kind of "vocal enhancers" that sound very autotuned 
  • "Into The Groove" in the Latin section medley sounds to have pre-recorded studio vocals but "Dress You Up" and "Lucky Star" are live
  • Live vocal usageTo be determined/tricky to calculate (help needed for a better percentage lol!)

1. Iconic (SOUNDBOARD)

2. Bitch I'm Madonna (SOUNDBOARD) 

3. Burning Up (SOUNDBOARD)

4. Holy Water/Vogue (SOUNDBOARD)

5. Devil Pray (SOUNDBOARD)

6. Body Shop (SOUNDBOARD)

7. True Blue (SOUNDBOARD)

8. Deeper And Deeper (SOUNDBOARD)

9. Heartbreak City/Love Don't Live Here Anymore (SOUNDBOARD)

10. Like A Virgin (SOUNDBOARD)

11. Living For Love (SOUNDBOARD)

12. La Isla Bonita (FANMADE VIDEO)

13. Dress You Up/Into The Groove/Lucky Star (FANMADE VIDEO)

14. Who's That Girl (FAN FOOTAGE)

15. Rebel Heart (SOUNDBOARD)

16. Music/Candy Shop (SOUNDBOARD)

17. Material Girl (SOUNDBOARD)

18. La Vie En Rose (FAN FOOTAGE)

19. Unapologetic Bitch (SOUNDBOARD)

20. Holiday (SOUNDBOARD)

Awesome thread mate 👍

I'm certain that Papa Don't Preach from Blond Ambition is performed similar to Open Your Heart in that she uses her live vocal for the verses but uses playback on the choruses. I first noticed this on the Barcelona recording but I need to go back and watch Nice and Japan as it's one of the performances I usually skip now. 

What does everyone think?

Regarding Rebel Heart, at my show in Brisbane she lipped the 'and we can run and we can hide' section of Devil Pray but on the DVD it's clearly a live vocal. During Holy Water when she starts singing Vogue whilst up on the pole she didn't pull the mic out of her corset quick enough and the 'C'mon vogue' line was missed but her vocals still clearly came out of the speakers so I'm assuming Holy Water was live but the Vogue section was new studio vocals for the tour. The Devil Pray vocals sounded like studio vocals from the album. There also seemed to be a mix of live and new studio vocals for Bitch I'm Madonna.

Lastly, you didn't specify which song on Sticky and Sweet was playback?

Not sure why almost 50% of MDNAT vocals were not live....

Wonder why this decision was made even though other pop bitches do it too. 

My mom attended one MDNAT show with me & she even commented that GGW didn’t sound live. Lol

Guest cailohfornia
5 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Awesome thread mate 👍

I'm certain that Papa Don't Preach from Blond Ambition is performed similar to Open Your Heart in that she uses her live vocal for the verses but uses playback on the choruses. I first noticed this on the Barcelona recording but I need to go back and watch Nice and Japan as it's one of the performances I usually skip now. 

What does everyone think?

Regarding Rebel Heart, at my show in Brisbane she lipped the 'and we can run and we can hide' section of Devil Pray but on the DVD it's clearly a live vocal. During Holy Water when she starts singing Vogue whilst up on the pole she didn't pull the mic out of her corset quick enough and the 'C'mon vogue' line was missed but her vocals still clearly came out of the speakers so I'm assuming Holy Water was live but the Vogue section was new studio vocals for the tour. The Devil Pray vocals sounded like studio vocals from the album. There also seemed to be a mix of live and new studio vocals for Bitch I'm Madonna.

Lastly, you didn't specify which song on Sticky and Sweet was playback?

Thanks for the in depth additions!

Yes! You’re right! In BAT she does use the same playback style in “Open Your Heart” in “Papa Don’t Preach” so I’ll def add that to the main post. 

Regarding RHT, I suspected the same as you had said when I was watching some fan footages and also a little of the DVD/Blu-ray. Like you said some parts in Holy Water/Vogue and Holy Water (more obviously) were probably playback vocals on some parts like how it was on BAT during “Open Your Heart.” I also noticed more vocal effects on the tour to make it sound like more autotuned (?) for lack of better terms.

What made me convinced about RHT being performed live was the soundboards leaked/uploaded on YouTube. You do actually hear her vocals so clear from her mic feed and also the person cueing her next lyrics and cueing her counts. It may be that RHT used both live vocals AND playback support which is okay! The DVD/Blu-ray though is a different story so I won’t count or get into that lol!

I’ll also update the playback songs on S&ST which I believe is only “Into The Groove”

Thank you mate! 👍🏼

Guest cailohfornia
14 hours ago, Nick said:

Not sure why almost 50% of MDNAT vocals were not live....

Wonder why this decision was made even though other pop bitches do it too. 

My mom attended one MDNAT show with me & she even commented that GGW didn’t sound live. Lol

I know right! It was so obvious and even more so on the pro-shot footages and on many fan footages. 

I understand that she had amazing and fierce choreography on the tour but she def could’ve performed “Express Yourself/Born This Way” and “Give Me All Your Luvin” with live vocals. It also sounds like the same playback of “Vogue” on the Superbowl was also used for the MDNA Tour to save time or whatnot. I’m glad that we have the Paris Olympia show though cause she sings live throughout the entire show (except Vogue)

MDNA Tour was still a solid tour and def a tour in which M still freely showcased her athleticism and intense dancing.

Guest cailohfornia
5 hours ago, FeTuoni said:

Isn’t LIb from Confessions live?

I thought so too! But after watching the fan footages of the New York and Fresno concerts, it does sound like the vocals from "La Isla Bonita" were pre-recorded studio vocals especially on the parts where she is dancing/moving a lot. To me, it's  especially obvious on the higher vocal parts of "Where a boy loves a girl and a girl (long note)... loves a girl"

I may be wrong though and you may be right as I need better audio quality videos to analyze it more in depth. The verses may be live while the chorus may be pre-recorded. Thanks for the observation I'll look into it!

1 hour ago, cailohfornia said:

I thought so too! But after watching the fan footages of the New York and Fresno concerts, it does sound like the vocals from "La Isla Bonita" were pre-recorded studio vocals especially on the parts where she is dancing/moving a lot. To me, it's  especially obvious on the higher vocal parts of "Where a boy loves a girl and a girl (long note)... loves a girl"

I may be wrong though and you may be right as I need better audio quality videos to analyze it more in depth. The verses may be live while the chorus may be pre-recorded. Thanks for the observation I'll look into it!

Thank you for such an awesome and informative topic! 

Into the groove chorus during bat is mimed like OYH and PDP style.

Guest cailohfornia
25 minutes ago, FeTuoni said:

Thank you for such an awesome and informative topic! 

You're so welcome thank you! It's my pleasure and passion! Glad you liked it!

Image result for madonna mdna tour gif

Image result for Madonna concert gif

Guest cailohfornia
23 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Into the groove chorus during bat is mimed like OYH and PDP style.

Thanks @Bat-Fan! Can't believe I missed that. I'll update it rn!

Image result for madonna into the groove gif

Guest cailohfornia
26 minutes ago, DitaDolla said:

MDNA Tour tho :lmao:

My sentiments exactly lol 😏

The only parts from that tour that I can bear are Papa Don’t Preach, Open Your Heart, Like A Virgin, Love Spent, Human Nature, and Like A Prayer. 

Oh and of course the entire Paris Olympia show (all live vocals except Vogue!) 🙌🏼

Very interesting read thank you 

from my experience being at The Girlie Show in London, Fever was playback but she sang over it live so it was like a. I tire .I'm not sure if the playback was too loud but you can hear it on the audio . 

3 hours ago, Dr Lecter said:

from my experience being at The Girlie Show in London, Fever was playback but she sang over it live so it was like a. I tire .I'm not sure if the playback was too loud but you can hear it on the audio . 

Yes, it was like that during the first few shows, this is Paris:

Compared to Istanbul(wich was just a few shows later than Paris), the pre-recorded voice is now very low, and the live vocals sound very prominently:

On 19/10/2017 at 12:26 AM, cailohfornia said:

10. Rebel Heart Tour 2015

•  
  • Live vocal usage~99%
  •  

LOL! 

Certain songs on RHT are heavily backed up by studio tracks. It's not 99% live lol

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Yes, it was like that during the first few shows, this is Paris

Compared to Istanbul(wich was just a few shows later than Paris), the pre-recorded voice is now very low, and the live vocals sound very prominently:

Yeah they eventually completely dropped the album vocal backup - just as well, as the live version is MUCH better.

27 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

LOL! 

I was about to LOL at the same thing. The fact that we got the earpiece recordings from this tour in which Madonna, whenever she feels like it,  talks, laughs, whispers and croaks over the heavy, heavy backing tracks of RHT does not in any way indicate a live vocal for tracks like Iconic, BIM, Material Girl etc etc. If we had those same recordings for MDNA than you'd probably hear Madonna occasionally joining in over GGW and Revolver and Gang Bang etc.

I'll lay the blame for this awful vocal mixing (which started with S&S) at Kevin Outoftunes stinky feet. The worst.

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

LOL! 

Yeah...

0:13

31 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yeah they eventually completely dropped the album vocal backup - just as well, as the live version is MUCH better.

Yes, SO much better! I always wondered why they did that at the beginning of the tour, i suppose to take care of/ preserve her voice a little bit better...?

Guest cailohfornia
7 hours ago, Dr Lecter said:

Very interesting read thank you 

4 hours ago, Gus said:

Yes, it was like that during the first few shows, this is Paris:

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Thank you all for the correction and amazing details you guys! Making this thread I referred to the official DVD/video releases of the first 5 tours cause I found the vocals/audio pretty reliable since all of them (except the Virgin Tour) were based off of TV broadcasts so it's more than likely the vocals would be live and they are! 

It is so interesting to see the first few shows of the Girlie Show Tour to have "Fever" performed in playback as all I have known until today is that it was performed rather flawlessly LIVE like @Kim said with those deep lower register chest vocals of hers (as on the DVD). I imagine Madonna figured she could sing it live after a few concert dates and may even have rehearsed for it in between the first few shows thereby eliminating/faintly hearing the album version playback later on.

Or what happened was... for the B-Rolls of all the concert dates (i.e. news reports, MTV) you could probably hear her vocals so clearly since they usually include the mic feed on those footages (i.e. Istanbul video above) so in the end Madonna could have been singing "Fever" -- and even "Vogue" for that matter -- throughout the entire tour with lowered album version playback vocals or not. Yas queen.

Guest cailohfornia
4 hours ago, loowee said:

Certain songs on RHT are heavily backed up by studio tracks. It's not 99% live lol

3 hours ago, Gus said:

Yeah...

0:13

Here are all soundboards/mic feed/cueing from Madonna's earpiece I have gathered so far... and all I can say is "fucking amazing effort." Yes there are playback vocals that sound pre-recorded (especially on "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Body Shop) but I did mention the "vocal enhancers" on my main thread post lol. Otherwise I think these soundboards are proof that Madonna still sung live, whether over the obvious playback pre-recorded vocals on some songs or not. You still hear her winded/breathy vocals on all of these soundboards.

The only thing that is for sure pre-recorded vocals are "Into The Groove" from the Latin section -- I have made this observation from months ago and I forgot to add it to my main thread post and as well as these soundboards! Oh and "Bitch I'm Madonna" is like... so heavily drowned out with playback (either pre-recorded or album version) but on the verse I could her her winded vocals lol

So yeah lol... it's not 99% live like I calculated at first maybe about 92% to 94%. Thank you guys! 

1. Iconic (SOUNDBOARD)

2. Bitch I'm Madonna (SOUNDBOARD)

3. Burning Up (SOUNDBOARD)

4. Holy Water/Vogue (SOUNDBOARD)

5. Devil Pray (SOUNDBOARD)

6. Body Shop (SOUNDBOARD)

7. True Blue (SOUNDBOARD)

8. Deeper And Deeper (SOUNDBOARD)

9. Heartbreak City/Love Don't Live Here Anymore (SOUNDBOARD)

10. Like A Virgin (SOUNDBOARD)

11. Living For Love (SOUNDBOARD)

12. La Isla Bonita (FANMADE VIDEO)

13. Dress You Up/Into The Groove/Lucky Star (FANMADE VIDEO)

14. Who's That Girl (FAN FOOTAGE)

15. Rebel Heart (SOUNDBOARD)

16. Music/Candy Shop (SOUNDBOARD)

17. Material Girl (SOUNDBOARD)

18. La Vie En Rose (FAN FOOTAGE)

19. Unapologetic Bitch (SOUNDBOARD)

20. Holiday (SOUNDBOARD)

52 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

Or what happened was... for the B-Rolls of all the concert dates (i.e. news reports, MTV) you could probably hear her vocals so clearly since they usually include the mic feed on those footages (i.e. Istanbul video above) so in the end Madonna could have been singing "Fever" -- and even "Vogue" for that matter -- throughout the entire tour with lowered album version playback vocals or not. Yas queen.

She did the same thing(singing live), on several Blond Ambition shows during EY and WTP in particular, like this EY clip from Germany:

Guest cailohfornia
11 minutes ago, Gus said:

She did the same thing(singing live), on several Blond Ambition shows during EY and WTP in particular, like this EY clip from Germany:

Amazing! Yes you're right the same thing! I just watched a news report too on the Munich, Germany concert and she's singing live with playback obviously heard. So I guess yeah she perhaps was really singing live on all these shows during songs that sounded playback on the broadcasts/video releases (EY + WTP + Vogue) but the sound mixers just decided to lower her mic feed vocals for reasons we don't really know! But these new report B-rolls prove that she probably was using her live vocals anyway! KWEEN!

1 hour ago, cailohfornia said:

So yeah lol... it's not 99% live like I calculated at first maybe about 92% to 94%. Thank you guys! 

No. You can't praise WTG for it's 100% live vox (which it is) then give such a high percentage to RHT( based mostly on inner-ear feed bootlegs that we were never meant to hear) when we all know that she was basically dipping in and out of singing over very loud backing tracks on every single date on every single high tempo track.