Pray for Somalia or Je suis Somalia

jaron

Since it has not been posted here, a human tragedy with over 300 deads,

Im gonna share it here.

There is a big problem indeed concernig the double standard.

Anyway, my whole prayers go to all family victims, and everyone who live somewhere where the elite world doenst wanna become them

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/double-standards-aren-somalia-171016105300793.html

Almost 300 people were killed when a powerful bomb blast ripped through Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, on Saturday.

The attack marked the deadliest assault the country has ever witnessed.

Somalia has entered a three-day national mourning period for the victims, with around 300 more people also injured in the blast.

Dozens are missing, hospitals are running out of blood and anger is growing. 

But social media users have asked: Where is the collective outrage?

The attack in Somalia came little more than one week after a deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas, but many noted a quieter response to events in Mogadishu.

"The world is unfair; social media can attest to that. 276 died in Somalia and we aren't doing the same thing we did when it was Las Vegas," tweeted Eke van Victor.

"We mourn with Somalia. 276 dead. 300 hurt. We confess that our tears are often limited to the West. Forgive us. We long for peace with you," said Eugene Cho.

"You should be as devastated about the sheer loss of life in Somalia, as you were about the senseless killings in Vegas," wrote Stacey Dooley, a British television presenter. 

Some were also concerned by the low level of media coverage compared with other horrendous attacks.

Commentator and law professor Khaled Beydoun noted that a bomb attack in Manchester, a northern British city, was covered more widely. "The # of people killed in Somalia yesterday was 10x more than the # killed in Manchester in May (230 to 22). But it got 100x less coverage," he tweeted.

49 minutes ago, jaron said:

Since it has not been posted here, a human tragedy with over 300 deads,

Im gonna share it here.

There is a big problem indeed concernig the double standard.

Anyway, my whole prayers go to all family victims, and everyone who live somewhere where the elite world doenst wanna become them

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/double-standards-aren-somalia-171016105300793.html

Almost 300 people were killed when a powerful bomb blast ripped through Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, on Saturday.

The attack marked the deadliest assault the country has ever witnessed.

Somalia has entered a three-day national mourning period for the victims, with around 300 more people also injured in the blast.

Dozens are missing, hospitals are running out of blood and anger is growing. 

But social media users have asked: Where is the collective outrage?

The attack in Somalia came little more than one week after a deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas, but many noted a quieter response to events in Mogadishu.

"The world is unfair; social media can attest to that. 276 died in Somalia and we aren't doing the same thing we did when it was Las Vegas," tweeted Eke van Victor.

"We mourn with Somalia. 276 dead. 300 hurt. We confess that our tears are often limited to the West. Forgive us. We long for peace with you," said Eugene Cho.

"You should be as devastated about the sheer loss of life in Somalia, as you were about the senseless killings in Vegas," wrote Stacey Dooley, a British television presenter. 

Some were also concerned by the low level of media coverage compared with other horrendous attacks.

Commentator and law professor Khaled Beydoun noted that a bomb attack in Manchester, a northern British city, was covered more widely. "The # of people killed in Somalia yesterday was 10x more than the # killed in Manchester in May (230 to 22). But it got 100x less coverage," he tweeted.

I noticed this as well. It's because the interest in Somalia and its struggle as a country is no topic. The media has always been good at manipulating our interests. Especially now with social media people will always tag along to what's trendy and popular. Sheep indeed...

I mourn with Somalia.

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Equally shocking and depressing is the lack of publicity and coverage by the mainstream news outlets. 

Media outrage and "democracy exportation" are only reserved to long established oil and energy resources countries

It is not much a question of controlled feelings, but a question of what is near and what is not. If a train collapses near your home, you will be horrified. If it collapses in another European country you could be a bit sad. If it collapses further, it makes little news. We get affected by things that are near us (first) or we can relate to (second). That's why I never understand those critics about the media coverage on things that are incredibly remote. We would be crying and messing our hairs EACH DAY if we gave the same importance to every tragedy in the world.

That said, it is HORRIBLE and, once again, another attack against innocent population. 

51 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It is not much a question of controlled feelings, but a question of what is near and what is not. If a train collapses near your home, you will be horrified. If it collapses in another European country you could be a bit sad. If it collapses further, it makes little news. We get affected by things that are near us (first) or we can relate to (second). That's why I never understand those critics about the media coverage on things that are incredibly remote. We would be crying and messing our hairs EACH DAY if we gave the same importance to every tragedy in the world.

That said, it is HORRIBLE and, once again, another attack against innocent population. 

It's not a matter of geographical distance. But rather geopolitical convenience and what the media is allowed to focus on or otherwise. Afghanistan is far more distant than Somalia yet it has dominated media coverage for the past 16 years and that's just one of many examples

2 hours ago, XXL said:

It's not a matter of geographical distance. But rather geopolitical convenience and what the media is allowed to focus on or otherwise. Afghanistan is far more distant than Somalia yet it has dominated media coverage for the past 16 years and that's just one of many examples

I don't agree. 

Change terrorism for train accidents and you will notice the same.  

If Afghanistan was news was because soldiers from our countries are there.  That means: we are related to the situation. 

12 hours ago, karbatal said:

Karbatal, I do understand what you are saying and get your point about media access to remote areas etc but the magnitude of this bombing is so massive and dreadful. Over 300 innocent people killed and hundreds more injured in one attack is something that I thought would be huge worldwide news.  What happened in Somalia with this terrorism attack is beyond horrific, heartless and evil. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Karbatal, I do understand what you are saying and get your point about media access to remote areas etc but the magnitude of this bombing is so massive and dreadful. Over 300 innocent people killed and hundreds more injured in one attack is something that I thought would be huge worldwide news.  What happened in Somalia with this terrorism attack is beyond horrific, heartless and evil. 

Yes it's true and this should be an opportunity for trying to help the country.  It's been like 20 years of absolute chaos there!  

20 hours ago, karbatal said:

True. Was African Twitter full of "Pray for Paris", "Pray for Manchester"? Not so much.

That doesn't change what a horrible attack this was, but let's not moan about double standards. The world is a big place.