Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Flip The Switch

Janet Jackson thread

Recommended Posts

Going back to TVR - at the time of its release, I do recall the reviews being very lukewarm. I think the biggest complaint from critics was that the album was too "overproduced," "contrived," and "long." 

It also still seems to be generally overlooked - I don't see as many pieces written about the 20th anniversary of its release, there are some, but not like those that were written when Control, Rhythm Nation, and janet. celebrated milestone anniversaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TVR is the B-side collection of Erotica.

I still remember Kurt Loder mocked Floppita for doing stuff that M had done 3 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not just the US' reaction to janet's boob, but janet herself reacting to the controversy shows just how conformist, safe, and unartistic she is. I just dont get the american way of thinking and their hypocrisy. you have people worshipping statues of the madonna feeding baby jesus, whilst these same moral conservatives are making a big deal of seeing a boob in the flesh. not just with janet, but ive seen it be up for debate on whether women can breastfeed in public. it's a joke.

madonna would have OWNED it. (and she wouldve owned it with her real natural breasts..) she wouldve turned it into an interesting conversation.. and the funny thing is.. janet fans would probably be the first to criticize madonna for it too.

also, Madonna never shaded janet. I dont know why janet fans are always trying to make her out to be a bully, when janet herself was the first to rant about having more class, and start talking shade about the sales of the erotica album. fucking crazy how some of these fanbases try to change the narrative with their lies and bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will her tour manage to gross 20m$ overall gross ?:dead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, continuing this year's tradition of seeing some of my favorite females for the first time, I will be seeing Damita Jo in Bethlehem, Pa., on Nov. 11. Ticketmaster released a couple of regular seats today (not verified resale) and my other half and I got seventh row. Our seats are a handful of seats apart, but that's "Aright" with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madonna wouldn’t get out of bed 0.7 million :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jester said:

Will her tour manage to gross 20m$ overall gross ?:dead:

Grosses for only 4 random shows out of the 25 performed have been reported so far -  and those 4 have been underwhelming - Lionel Ritchie/Mariah Carey underwhelming.

I wonder how bad the others have been if they aren't being reported.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 5:45 PM, KalamazooJay said:

Her streak from Control through the Velvet Rope is quite honestly pop perfection. She had a pretty impeccable run of albums with those 4. 

True.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 Janet Jackson Rogers Arena Vancouver, British Columbia Sept. 26, 2017 $326,808 7,077 /
8,063
1 / 0 $101.27, $23.49 Live Nation

 

yikes......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, swimtoshore said:
40 Janet Jackson Rogers Arena Vancouver, British Columbia Sept. 26, 2017 $326,808 7,077 /
8,063
1 / 0 $101.27, $23.49 Live Nation

 

yikes......

Screenshot_2017-10-26-10-18-25-1.png

So it is 5 reported shows out of 26...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Screenshot_2017-10-26-10-18-25-1.png

So it is 5 reported shows out of 26...?

yes 5 reported now - this the worst gross of the 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Christs,

for a global supa dupa megastar Jancel Jacksonese, those numbers are far worse than flop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, horn said:

TVR is the B-side collection of Erotica.

I still remember Kurt Loder mocked Floppita for doing stuff that M had done 3 years ago.

Throb from the Janet album (a song I enjoy a lot) sounds exactly like an Erotica reject

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ That's true about "Throb." TVR sounds nothing like Erotica though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, vocalism said:

^ That's true about "Throb." TVR sounds nothing like Erotica though. 

Agreed. What About, Every Time, You, Go Deep, I Get Lonely and Rope Burn alone are nothing alike Erotica’s sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, vocalism said:

^ That's true about "Throb." TVR sounds nothing like Erotica though. 

It lifts thematic material from Erotica.

Together Again / In This Life

Free Xone / Deeper And Deeper

Rope Burn / Erotica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta give credit to farmJan, she didnt Jancel her shows yet, and she fulfilled the Denver show, which some people I know were pissed last time she jancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, erotica blu said:

It lifts thematic material from Erotica.

Together Again / In This Life

Free Xone / Deeper And Deeper

Rope Burn / Erotica

Right, but those songs don't sound anything alike. I agree that M explored sex and S&M before Janet, but even though I think Erotica is the better, more daring album, I think they're quite different. And I don't see any relationship between Free Xone and D&D. Also, Janet is the sub in songs like RB, whereas M is the dominatrix in "Erotica." Minor, but I really don't see TVR as a knockoff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, vocalism said:

Right, but those songs don't sound anything alike. I agree that M explored sex and S&M before Janet, but even though I think Erotica is the better, more daring album, I think they're quite different. And I don't see any relationship between Free Xone and D&D. Also, Janet is the sub in songs like RB, whereas M is the dominatrix in "Erotica." Minor, but I really don't see TVR as a knockoff. 

Madonna mined thematic material for those Velvet Rope tracks on Erotica first. Hell the sound of the Janet album owes a debit to Erotica. Were it not for Justify My Love and Erotica, That's the Way Love Goes might have a different sound altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erotica blu said:

Madonna mined thematic material for those Velvet Rope tracks on Erotica first. Hell the sound of the Janet album owes a debit to Erotica. Were it not for Justify My Love and Erotica, That's the Way Love Goes might have a different sound altogether.

We're just going in circles here. You're not going to convince me that TVR is similar to Erotica in any meaningful way aside from the S&M themes on "Erotica" and "Rope Burn" and the photos in the booklet. Actually, the album has more in common lyrically to BS than Erotica. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×