MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

I've had two people in one day ask me....

5 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

I think her last "mainstream" radio acceptance too was with "4 Minutes." I remember in high school 102.7 KIIS FM would play it here and there back in 2008. I thought that was cool. But from HC, that was the only single I heard in mainstream radio. So yeah... 4 Minutes was her last mainstream banger where people were like "Oh okay, Miss Thing's still got it." I wonder if it would have had the same success if JT was not involved/featured... hmmm.

By MDNA, there was definitely a significant decrease in mainstream airplay (at least here in L.A.) back in 2012. I don't remember main radio stations playing MDNA singles at all... except one time a friend told me she heard GGW on the radio for a little bit (and was living!) But by MDNA, a new audience seemed to have taken interest in her: the curious Stefani Germanota fans who were waiting to attack M because of that whole Born This Way debacle, blah blah blah. 

Mainstream radios may not play her anymore... but since MDNA/the whole Gaga-Madonna feud she definitely gained a new kind of audience: THE YOUNG GAYS & YOUNGER PEOPLE IN GENERAL (21 and under?) many of whom are reformed Little Monsters who now LOVE the Queen of Pop (refer to YouTube comments lol.) So not all is lost. A newer younger generation of Madonna fans can have her catalogue and her work to their full disposal if only they open their hearts, souls, and ears. Plus, forget the radio... streaming is ubiquitous and provides for more choice of listening to an artist's catalogue. 

I totally agree with you. When they "know" her, they begin to " study" and see what she has done, they are conquered. At the end of the day, between the original thing and a copy, everybody chooses the original 1.

Guest cailohfornia
3 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

I totally agree with you. When they "know" her, they begin to " study" and see what she has done, they are conquered. 

I like that. They "study" her... yes!

"MADONNA" SHOULD BE A SUBJECT COURSE OFFERED IN UNIVERSITIES (it was an actual thing in the 90s) 

6 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

I like that. They "study" her... yes!

"MADONNA" SHOULD BE A SUBJECT COURSE OFFERED IN UNIVERSITIES (it was an actual thing in the 90s) 

Yes, I know I'm not objective but, like I read somewhere, once David Lachappelle said: "Madonna is interesting, she is interesting also when she brushes her teeth", and I agree with him..lol

37 minutes ago, Kim said:

This is completely untrue actually. The reason I said that is because I remember VIVIDLY the positive reaction that those two leaks had from all over the internet, not just Madonna sites.

I can only speak for myself but yeah when the song Rebel Heart leaked it was massive! It was reported in a lot of media, I remember seeing something about it in a few showbiz sections. I'm sure it charted on some kind of internet traffic chart or something.........i also had friends mention to me that they'd heard her new single and liked it, even my mum asked me if I'd head the new Madonna single........M and her team really handled that badly, it was such a good opertunity turn the whole thing into something good.....oh well.   

1 hour ago, luluthecat said:

I can only speak for myself but yeah when the song Rebel Heart leaked it was massive! It was reported in a lot of media, I remember seeing something about it in a few showbiz sections. I'm sure it charted on some kind of internet traffic chart or something.........i also had friends mention to me that they'd heard her new single and liked it, even my mum asked me if I'd head the new Madonna single........M and her team really handled that badly, it was such a good opertunity turn the whole thing into something good.....oh well.   

The song is good and  the situation was bad. She was conflicted, like she said, and she chose to release a different version of RH. If the leak didn't exist, maybe we would have the avicii version..but who knows.

I would have asked them how do they find or listen to new music, what artists are in their radar, do they listen to radio, what kind of stations, streaming, do they buy, do they illegally download, do they go to bars or clubs, concerts, do they listen to old Madonna music at all, are they current in their musical taste??? 

If they were looking for the answer for why don’t we have a global all available platforms presence super humongous hit as HU or 4M, well you could have told them that there are a bunch of fans theorizing 24/7 about the same thing for years...  😜😜😜

Interestingly, I always heat her playing in stores.  ALWAYS!  I actually heard Turn Up the Radio at a grocery store yesterday.  My husband always teases that we cannot get away from her (although he loves her too).  Her music plays in nearly every retail store we enter... and not just the 80's stuff.  As for people not knowing that she has albums after Music.... I run into them all of the time.  Honestly though... I look up 80's singers all the time and am surprised that they have newer albums.  Different strokes for different folks...  Everyone knows that she is an icon and a music legend though.  EVERYONE!  

Well, I can only speak of Australia, but no new songs have been played on the radio from MDNA onwards.  The albums MDNA and Rebel Heart were not remotely promoted. 

Everyone knows who Madonna is and knows she is a legend but her music is not promoted to the masses anymore. I see it as a major stuff up of her management and useless "record company"  It makes me sad and angry really.  Also horrible that everyone had an opinion on her custody battle which was reported non stop. Everyone knows who Madonna is and know her biggest hits. She has a massive built in audience and should be promoted like the superstar she is. 

2 hours ago, systemvalues said:

I totally agree with you. When they "know" her, they begin to " study" and see what she has done, they are conquered. At the end of the day, between the original thing and a copy, everybody chooses the original 1.

I agree, I grew up listening to madonna because my parents like her, but when Gaga made it big I became more interested in her, and that's the tea. 

3 hours ago, cailohfornia said:

What about:

"U.S. radio doesn't really play Madonna anymore because of the whole American Life debacle."

Image result for madonna american life gif

Image result for madonna george bush gif

If she'd released "American Life" six months later (after the flag-waving ultranationalism that swept the country in the run-up to the war died down) and dropped the rap, "American Life" probably would have done much better.

Gone are the days of good 'ol MTV, big promotions, big-budget videos and heavy radio play.

Today is all about what's trending and popular on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and Vimeo. And if they do actual talk about a legend, they only talk about it briefly, in the news, when he/she has an upcoming gig in Italy, or if he/she is involved in a pretty big scandal of sort or, even worse, when he/she's dead (ie. David Bowie/Chester Bennington/Chris Cornell).

It's not only related to Madonna. But to many big popular artists/bands such as Sting, U2 and Depeche Mode (to name a few).

It's been AWHILE since I heard about Sting, U2 and Depeche Mode on either the radio or in the news. Only last week, surprisingly, I heard about the 'Mode in the news (they talked about their cover of "Heroes" that has reached the million on YT and that's about it). As for Madonna, I only heard about her, briefly, on the news, when she announced her RHT CD/DVD/BluRay set, back in August. They broadcasted the entire Sydney gig and that's about it.

I don't listen to the radio constantly, so I can't say if her songs still get played or not. But, yeah.

Everything has changed and not for the better.  

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Well, I can only speak of Australia, but no new songs have been played on the radio from MDNA onwards.  The albums MDNA and Rebel Heart were not remotely promoted. 

Everyone knows who Madonna is and knows she is a legend but her music is not promoted to the masses anymore. I see it as a major stuff up of her management and useless "record company"  It makes me sad and angry really.  Also horrible that everyone had an opinion on her custody battle which was reported non stop. Everyone knows who Madonna is and know her biggest hits. She has a massive built in audience and should be promoted like the superstar she is. 

I could probably say the same happened in Mexico. I probably heard GMAYL and Living for love twice on radio and that was it. No other singles from these albums received any radio plays. Ghosttown's video was on hea y rotation in mtv/vh1 though. There is a lack of connection with thecaudiehces, definitely. I have heard people say: she was good, what is she doing now? So a large part of general audiences have no clue of her more recent music.

I saw lots of coverage in the media about the RH leak but not once, ever did I speak with someone (that's not already a diehard fan) IRL that had actually downloaded and listened to any of the leaks. I feel like I actually had to work to find links for those songs. I recall joining some random (either a "Pop Bitch" or Britney forum) to download them so I don't think your average person would care to go through all those hoops. With that said, I absolutely believe the leaks affected the whole roll out of the single/album so obviously sales would've been affected to some degree. RH did sell almost a million copies though during it's chart run.....I truly don't believe even with a perfect roll out and no leaks that it would've done much more than over a million. 

Regarding the topic at hand, I've had people say that to me ever since around '03-'04....."oh I didn't know she still toured. Isn't she getting older?? Can she still move around like she used to??"...or..."OH you're going to see Madonna?!?! COOL! Does she still release new music?"......I mean it's the same discussion each album/tour cycle for 15 yrs.....

Image result for Madonna roll eyes gif

For like four minutes in 2008 when 4 Minutes was big, it seemed like more people were all "YAY MADONNA" than usual but at this point? It's like that never happened. That was a "ray of light" in the otherwise darkness...lol. OH and for like a week after the Super Bowl, people were all about Madonna....but still not sure if a lot of them knew she was releasing an album. 

7 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

As a fellow Aussie, I totes agree with @Jazzy Jan - I only ever hear classic Madonna tracks, either over supermarket P.A. systems or 'classic hits' radio.  Granted, radio is not a medium I listen to much, except for Triple J on the way to work (gotta hear what the young ones are listening to!).

1 hour ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

As a fellow Aussie, I totes agree with @Jazzy Jan - I only ever hear classic Madonna tracks, either over supermarket P.A. systems or 'classic hits' radio.  Granted, radio is not a medium I listen to much, except for Triple J on the way to work (gotta hear what the young ones are listening to!).

Yes, Madonna is regularly played on classic hits radio in Australia.  I am not just saying this as a major fan but Madonna's music is well known and loved by most of the population. Even people who don't like Madonna herself - mainly due to bad press - they know and love her hit music. I think that 90 % of pop music lovers know a huge amount of her hits.  Her built in audience is huge and should be tapped into at all times. 

11 hours ago, Kim said:

The baffling thing about that, as horrible as it was for Madonna, is that it was a case of something going viral, getting mega publicity yet it did not one thing for the song in terms of sales. I wonder why...

Because of the song itself. It's just not a good song and certainly not a First Single...

it doesn't only happen to Madonna. I have real hardcore fellow Madonna fans at work and in my friends circle, so everybody knows even what version she played at concerts, which stage probs were used on previous tours and we all happened to go to her last tours (different cities though).

But when i went to a Rolling Stones concert last months, some also commented on "are they still alive", "didn't they stop touring 20 years ago" and stuff like that (when they had a tour almost every year in the past 20 years and released an album last year as well, though only covers).

48 minutes ago, beta_test said:

it doesn't only happen to Madonna. I have real hardcore fellow Madonna fans at work and in my friends circle, so everybody knows even what version she played at concerts, which stage probs were used on previous tours and we all happened to go to her last tours (different cities though).

But when i went to a Rolling Stones concert last months, some also commented on "are they still alive", "didn't they stop touring 20 years ago" and stuff like that (when they had a tour almost every year in the past 20 years and released an album last year as well, though only covers).

True, some people might be surprised Bruce Springsteen still tours..and he's one of the MEGA tour earners!!

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes, Madonna is regularly played on classic hits radio in Australia.  I am not just saying this as a major fan but Madonna's music is well known and loved by most of the population. Even people who don't like Madonna herself - mainly due to bad press - they know and love her hit music. I think that 90 % of pop music lovers know a huge amount of her hits.  Her built in audience is huge and should be tapped into at all times. 

I bet if you had a fancy dress pop music-themed party, most peeps here would pull out the conical bra and pony-tail for you-know-who!!

8 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

IRegarding the topic at hand, I've had people say that to me ever since around '03-'04....."oh I didn't know she still toured. Isn't she getting older?? Can she still move around like she used to??"...or..."OH you're going to see Madonna?!?! COOL! Does she still release new music?"......I mean it's the same discussion each album/tour cycle for 15 yrs.....For like four minutes in 2008 when 4 Minutes was big, it seemed like more people were all "YAY MADONNA" than usual but at this point? It's like that never happened. That was a "ray of light" in the otherwise darkness...lol. OH and for like a week after the Super Bowl, people were all about Madonna....but still not sure if a lot of them knew she was releasing an album. 

Yeah but (and I say this often) American posters here seem to underestimate just how big Madonna still was internationally while her career had already started fading somewhat in the US. Madonna was HUGE during Confessions. Hung Up being a much bigger song than Frozen, and maybe even Music. 4 minutes being a natural continuation of her success rather than a slight upward blip. So perhaps US posters still don't quite realise that the Live Nation deal did so much damage to Madonna's worldwide status virtually overnight, in so many ways (those ways having been discussed to death in previous threads) 

2 hours ago, Lolo said:

Because of the song itself. It's just not a good song and certainly not a First Single...

Correct answer!

Cos unfortunately it's all about these dumb ass airhead bimbos nowadays that claim to be inspired by Madonna but all they're really doing is ripping her off and copying her. Shame. Huge shame. 

2 hours ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

True, some people might be surprised Bruce Springsteen still tours..and he's one of the MEGA tour earners!!

Yes. 

Regular public doesn't know either if he's releasing new albums. 

All this is a question of demographics.  Since 2008 (although I would rather say 2005) Madonna didn't connect anymore with younger kids.  It may be age, quality of singles,  changes in radio stations,  changes in technology and music consumption... 

Thats why the biggest mistake in Madonna's career has been stubbornly trying to appeal 14 year olds these two past albums, losing the 30-40 something masses in the middle. 

Or maybe it's not a mistake but rather another rebellion from Madonna.  After all she's always been quite contrary :lol:

15 minutes ago, jasray said:

Cos unfortunately it's all about these dumb ass airhead bimbos nowadays that claim to be inspired by Madonna but all they're really doing is ripping her off and copying her. Shame. Huge shame. 

The thing is that those bimbos are flopping too.  Music is now a mess. 

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

The thing is that those bimbos are flopping too.  Music is now a mess. 

It definitely is a mess. Hardly any good songs out there :(