MadonnaNation.com Forums
Je5u5

"I Wrote a Hit Song With Justin Bieber. Want to See My Royalties?"

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/10/03/hit-song-justin-bieber-royalties/

Justin Bieber's 2010 smash, 'As Long As You Love Me,' co-produced by Rodney Jerkins

The following comes from Rodney Jerkins, who alongside Andre Lindal produced Justin Bieber’s 2010 hit, ‘As Long as You Love Me’.  Jerkins disclosed the royalties from that song in front of an audience of fellow songwriters and publishers in Los Angeles.

“I had a guy, who I met in my studio in 2009.  And there were different publishing companies wanting to sign this guy, and he was from Norway [Andre Lindall].  And here I am, just a producer, and I’m interested in this guy, but I’m going against the heavyweight publishing companies.

“And the only thing I can sell this guy — they can sell him on the bank — and the only thing I can sell this guy on is that I have the relationships with the artists.  I can get your music in the hands of the artist.

“And he’s goes, ‘Oh yeah, like who?’

“And I’m like, ‘Well who’s hot, who do you want to work with?’

“And he’s like, ‘Justin Bieber’.

“And I was like, ‘Okay, we’ll make that happen’.

“And so he goes, ‘Really? Well I’ll sign with you then.’

“So he left Norway, and he came to the States.  He left his family in Norway.  And came to the States, to what — to live the American Dream.  To hit the studio and potentially work with Justin Bieber.

“And guess what? It happened, within a year. Not only did he get a chance to work on a record with me with Justin.  But [the song] actually became a top hit for Justin.  It was called ‘As Long as You Love Me.’

“And his percentage on this particular song was about 20%.  That was 2010 when it came out.

“What I’m going to talk to you about real quick is 2013 — three years later — after the song blew up.

rodney_jerkins_1.jpg

Rodney Jerkins

“And I have witnesses here, so you can fact check. Okay.

“So, on the first page. It says the total royalty amount was $149,000.”

“Top ten hit. 20%, $149,000. This is three years, three years in.  This is his performance royalty from BMI.

“The song played on the radio, it had 347,820 spins.  The royalty amount on that alone, was $53,000.

“Let’s fast-forward to this page, the interesting page.

“Sirius XM, not bad.  1,509 spins, earned him $765 dollars.

“You ready for this?

“Pandora: 38,225,700 spins earned him $278.

[audience laughs; starts talking; one person says ‘WOW!’]

“I’m not finished.

[audience quiets down]

“YouTube: 34,220,900 spins earned him $218.17.

[chatter in the audience]

“Now I did the math for you guys.  That’s on 20%.  If he were to own 100% of the song, on YouTube he would have earned $1,100.

“If he owned 100% of the song on Pandora, he would have made $1,400.

[audience member: ‘jeez’]

“That’s why I wanted to get involved.  Because to me, looking at those numbers, that’s criminal.

[audience member: ‘it is!’]

“How many songwriters in the room?

[about 65% raise their hand]

A Grammy Nominated Artist Shares His Streaming Music Royalty Statements….

We all have a unique gift. All of us in this room as songwriters. You know what our unique gift is? We create, we create. And when we create — I have four children. It’s a beautiful thing. When my daughter walks into the room and I look in her eyes I know it’s a piece of me.

[pauses]

I hope.

[boisterous laughter, clapping]

There’s no feeling better than sitting down at a piano, or with your pen and your pad, or with your phone.  And you start to create something. And then you created it and it’s yours.  And then it goes over to this company over here, and it gets played 30 something million times.

“And the only thing that shows for it is $273?  Are you kidding me?

So what happens to the next generation? To the guy from Norway who does this.  You know what happens? He’s gotta go back.

How can the next generation survive in Hollywood? You guys know what the rent is out here.

[audience: murmurs in agreement]

+ Prince Trumpet Player’s 14 Rules You Can’t Break If You Want To Turn Pro

“So what happens is — the plan is ruined.  The plan is ruined.  We come out here and we’re excited because it’s the American Dream.

“I want to be the greatest songwriter of all time!  I have the skill set!

“But the problem is that if streaming is taking over, and the numbers don’t add up…

“How will I be able to support my gift?

[applause]

“I’m very passionate about this.  This is close to me because I’ve been in the business for 23 years.  And I’ve been blessed.  And I want to see the next generation be able to experience life at the fullest level because their creativity means so much to us.”

[applause]

Jerkins spoke at a meeting coordinated by the Recording Academy’s Los Angeles Chapter on September 14th.  The meeting was designed to boost support ahead of the Academy’s ‘District Advocate Day’.  Jerkins is a Recording Academy Los Angeles Chapter Board Trustee.

After Jerkin’s speech, we asked Academy members to forward DMN their royalty statements for confidential republication.  Please send your statements to news@digitalmusicnews.com; be sure to specify what (if any) identifying information you want removed.

------------------

These numbers are a disgrace, surely. The sad thing is, people will stay creative because they can't help themselves, despite all the abuse, so the system won't change and the exploitation will only get bigger. Where to start? I love streaming, I have a premium account and I wouldn't like to pay more. But maybe I should? But then again I pay more money now on music then back in the days when there were times when I bought just three CDs a year. 

madonna was really smart.

1 hour ago, Lolo said:

These numbers are a disgrace, surely. The sad thing is, people will stay creative because they can't help themselves, despite all the abuse, so the system won't change and the exploitation will only get bigger. Where to start? I love streaming, I have a premium account and I wouldn't like to pay more. But maybe I should? But then again I pay more money now on music then back in the days when there were times when I bought just three CDs a year. 

For my part, I used to spend 40-50$/months for Cds. Let's say 2-3 cds/months.

Now I pay 10$/month and I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. I think it was Rebel Heart. 

I wouldn't mind to pay more for my stream. But I guess I'm in the minority right there. And it has something to do with my age. Younger generations will never pay for their "culture". They want everything for free.

Its really sad and shows why things are so bad in music.

The only thing that could help is if music starts having a distribution deal like films , but that wont happen

WOW!!!!!

So if this happens... how does a songwriter get money these days? Will this be the end of the songwriter and the rising (again) of the artist who writes and performs his own music? Because touring is the only part where there's money still.

Or will this change the scenery, creating "teams" where the songwriter gets a chunk of the touring money???? 

This is really interesting. 

But is streaming making money for the artist now? 

It does. 273$.

I really don't understand these people who expect to make a living off of producing shit music that goes viral like in the old days. That's dead. Boo hoo.

6 hours ago, karbatal said:

WOW!!!!!

So if this happens... how does a songwriter get money these days? Will this be the end of the songwriter and the rising (again) of the artist who writes and performs his own music? Because touring is the only part where there's money still.

Or will this change the scenery, creating "teams" where the songwriter gets a chunk of the touring money???? 

This is really interesting. 

I think you could be into something

Not only touring money but also perfumes and other revenues

Wow. This was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing. Such a depressing state of affairs. Hence the touring/products/endorsements that most recording artists get involved with. 

For millennia being a professional musician was synonymous with being a live performer, perhaps the era of recorded music being the foundation was a century-long blip before the normal historical pattern resumes.  

3 minutes ago, LSD said:

For millennia being a professional musician was synonymous with being a live performer, perhaps the era of recorded music being the foundation was a century-long blip before the normal historical pattern resumes.  

id say WAY LESS than a century. But yes...I agree for the most part. 

Tragic figures. No wonder artists tried to release Tidal.

i made about $200 on streaming sites in 4 months :) yay for me LOL. but i get 100% royalty. Tidal pays out the most. when people bought my album I noticed i dont get the full 9.99 :/. made a few hundred there too. but yeah,  people have been discovering me since I am not promoting anything. however, I'm learning you have to have good promo to bring in the big bucks in addition to writing everything yourself.

7 hours ago, LSD said:

That's true also. 

Will this also be the end of bimbo dolls with vocoder releasing stuff written for them? Because this really started in the 80s. 

I expect music to become REALLY BORING though :lmao:

dire

madonna was smart. her tours alone pay for her lifestyle. imagine her mdnaskin line and everything else is where it's at too. 

Sexiest thighs:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

DYhGF8jVwAA1e8m.jpg

DYhGXwpWsAE0zMy.jpg

DYhGXwuW4AsCsxy.jpg

The Jesus tattoo 

BE9DDDDF-5942-4CBC-8A63-D9254CB90F06.gif

7F197E1C-30B3-4449-8A63-242D6C254123.gif

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well, to be honest, he is credited for about 20% of the song.... and it wasn't THAT huge either, it came and went... he did just FINE, it's not like he wrote something as huge as , I dunno, Despacito all by himself.

I mean let's face it, this whole music business thingie is coming to an end

On 21/03/2018 at 5:34 PM, Genevieve Vavance said:

I mean let's face it, this whole music business thingie is coming to an end

It wouldn't surprise me if suddenly all artists or record companies remove their music from spotify at once and kill it. 

People will tire of expensive live events too. I know I am fed up of having to fork out £50+ for gigs.

Something will happen because I don't think it's sustainable at the moment.

On 17/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, spotlight said:

Sexiest thighs:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

DYhGF8jVwAA1e8m.jpg

DYhGXwpWsAE0zMy.jpg

DYhGXwuW4AsCsxy.jpg

Resultado de imagen de disgusted gif

On 11/10/2017 at 3:38 AM, LSD said:

In Denmark it still is. Most professional full-time musicians in Denmark tour (almost) every year. If you're among the most popular Danish recording artists, royalties from streaming and music sales will typically account for 15-20 % of your total earnings if you write your own songs.

1m views on youtube is not equivalent to 1m sales.

Almost all viewers stream for free.

What makes people feel that they should get more from free streaming?

2 hours ago, horn said:

1m views on youtube is not equivalent to 1m sales.

Almost all viewers stream for free.

What makes people feel that they should get more from free streaming?

They get royalties when the song is getting played on radio. That's the same thing. 

On 3/23/2018 at 6:02 AM, jonski43 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if suddenly all artists or record companies remove their music from spotify at once and kill it. 

People will tire of expensive live events too. I know I am fed up of having to fork out £50+ for gigs.

Something will happen because I don't think it's sustainable at the moment.

Concerts for sure, M made her bucks at the best time