Cats in Australia kill over 1 million birds a day

Camacho

:lmao:at the cat pic they selected to attach to the article 

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/cats-australia-kill-1-million-birds-day-article-1.3543955

BY  CONSTANCE GIBBS 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, October 5, 2017, 6:17 PM

IMG_3943

Cats in Australia have swallowed many, many canaries.

Over a million birds are eaten a day by hungry cats — both feral and pets.

A study in the journal Biological Conservationsays that cats are on a killing spree, wiping out over 300 million birds in Australia annually.

This certainly sounds like a lot, until realizing that there are about 11 billion native birds in the country, making cat kills only about 4% of the population. And in the United States, cats kill over 2.4 billion birds per year. So Australia’s getting off easy.

But scientists are still worried. Cats are killing about 71 threatened species of bird in the country. Here in the states, cats have contributed to the extinction of 33 species of bird.

Australia has committed more than $23 million toward reducing cats’ impact on bird populations, including beginning construction on “cat free zones” to allow native birds on the threat of extinction some peace of mind.

Australia’s animals are known for overtaking the people. Rabbits are a well-documented menace, kangaroos outnumber the population 2:1 and magpie swooping season happens every September, where people must protect their property — and their necks — from low-flying magpies.

3 hours ago, Hector said:

:lmao:at the cat pic they selected to attach to the article 

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/cats-australia-kill-1-million-birds-day-article-1.3543955

BY  CONSTANCE GIBBS 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, October 5, 2017, 6:17 PM

IMG_3943

:rotfl: Poor kitty!

7 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I love cats but they do kill so many native birds  :cries:  I put a bell on my cat's collars so they could not sneak up on birds. Always love plenty of birds in the garden.  Also when my lovely tabby cat Ablett was very old, the birds in my back garden got their revenge. They used to steal Ablett's food while he was eating !  He would just look at them in disgust. 

25 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I love cats but they do kill so many native birds  :cries:  I put a bell on my cat's collars so they could not sneak up on birds. Always love plenty of birds in the garden.  Also when my lovely tabby cat Ablett was very old, the birds in my back garden got their revenge. They used to steal Ablett's food while he was eating !  He would just look at them in disgust. 

Is your tabby cat fat like the one we see above?