MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crux

"Nothing Really Matters" live at the Grammy's.

My God... I'd forgotten just how great this performance is. Her voice, the geisha look, everything is on point.

What a woman!

:bow:

Incredible staging and her look was so on point and memorable.

Just the vocal wasn't her strongest im guessing that's why she never sang this on tour.

It is really strange to think that the exact same performance today would create an immediate controversy because she would be accused of cultural appropriation.:wacko:

Great song and performance:clap::clap::clap: The ROL era was on point from start to finish.

Love it! Very 2017 even... except for the quality...

Edited by rooch4u

the geisha look is EVERYTHING, even Madonna herself said it's one of her favourites
and the kimono is amazing
not her strongest vocal delivery though....

I've always love "Nothing really matters" and I think it's a great performance. I think it's a very simple scenography is quite "simple" compared to what she does on tour but even with simple things she looks like the queen she is.

As some of you I think her voice is not perfect but love how she sounds (once again) with Nikki and Donna. The last part when they sang the chorush with Donna singing background vocals and Nikki saying the "Nothing really matters" is just great. I think the album version caught my attention for that. For Nikki and Donna. I mean, the last time we heard them so clear was in "Deeper and deeper" so was great to hear them again.

6 hours ago, spotlight said:

Great song and performance:clap::clap::clap: The ROL era was on point from start to finish.

Indeed :clap::clap:

Just now, Confessit said:

Incredible staging and her look was so on point and memorable.

Just the vocal wasn't her strongest im guessing that's why she never sang this on tour.

I agree.And same with the power of goodbye

11 hours ago, Martin B. said:

It is really strange to think that the exact same performance today would create an immediate controversy because she would be accused of cultural appropriation.:wacko:

And yet a performance like LAV or one of her other sexual performances wouldn't get any attention at all today. 

The video in the original post is blocked for me, so maybe I need to revisit it, but I recall the vocals being pretty bad and generally feeling underwhelmed by the performance. Which is too bad since I think it was a missed opportunity to appeal to even more people with the project. Obviously the wins boosted sales, but a better performance could have drawn in even more new fans. It's just not my favorite.

1 hour ago, vocalism said:

And yet a performance like LAV or one of her other sexual performances wouldn't get any attention at all today. 

The video in the original post is blocked for me, so maybe I need to revisit it, but I recall the vocals being pretty bad and generally feeling underwhelmed by the performance. Which is too bad since I think it was a missed opportunity to appeal to even more people with the project. Obviously the wins boosted sales, but a better performance could have drawn in even more new fans. It's just not my favorite.

Yes, it's a shame that the vocal aspect was bad because the performance was visually fantastic.

^ That seemed to be the case with many of the performances during that era. Her VH1 Fashion Awards performance started out good but then went downhill. Same with VMAs. She looked gorgeous during those two though!

Fabulous performance I never could find it on yt. The end with donna and nikki sounds great.

There wouldnt be enough safespaces if it was today.

That was her first ever performance at The Grammys.  She sounds nervous (which is understandable, given that she dislikes performing at awards shows, since she's not overly comfortable performing in front of a bunch of critics...!), but the vocal was by no means bad.  If memory serves me correctly, this was the first year (or one of the first years) in which artists were allowed to perform tracks from a nominated album, as opposed to solely tracks that were nominated individually.  Had the old rule been in place, Madonna would only have been allowed to perform "Ray of Light".  

Some Grammys trivia for you!  Warner made the decision to submit ROL for the Dance category in 1999 and "Frozen" for the Pop category.  ROL made it all the way to Record of the Year, whereas "Frozen" missed out (unfortunately).  The following year, the submitted "Beautiful Stranger" to the Pop category (and it earned a nomination), then they did the same with "Music" (i.e. they made a deliberate push for a Pop nomination/award over the almost sure fire Dance nomination/award it would have received).  I firmly believe that if they hadn't changed the eligibility rules for the Dance categories in 2011 (for the 2012  awards), Madonna would still be earning nominations in that category (e.g. Girl Gone Wild and Bitch I'm Madonna).  "Serious" dance producers were tired of "pop" artists "stealing" their nominations and awards, so they pushed the academy to change the rules. 

Amazing aesthetic & concept for the performance! Sets Madonna apart from the basic wannabe crap...

It was a great night for Madonna and her team... I still wish she could have won for album of the year.

I used to think that her vocals were weak on this performance, but listening to it now its actually a much better vocal delivery that most her recent live performances, her voice is there, not drowned by layers of prerecorded tracks.  I miss this voice

18 hours ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

I loved the vocals!!

Yes! I don't know why some people complain. She's on point here, but there's to much reverberation on her microphone, so her voice doesn't really blend in with the music and sounds off sometimes, when in fact she hits the notes quite perfectly.