MadonnaNation.com Forums
Mattress

EROTICA 25 - The Silver SEXiversary Thread (#MadonnaErotica25)

Being a teenager in the 80's and falling in love with her....well, I thought, what else could she possibly do to captivate me even more?  Low and behold, after being called everything from "a flash in the pan, a bimbo, a whore, trash with no talent"....she comes out with this blatant/in your face sexual proclamation with her head held high and showed all the naysayers just where to shove their bigotry.  

I was 24 then, and couldn't wait to get my hands on (let alone show everyone around me) the SEX book and the Erotica album.  Although many said ugly things....i.e....she's too sexual, that's going too far, she needs to stop....I'll be damned if they weren't the first ones wanting to see the book and grooving to every track on the album.  I lived for the times when those said people were diminishing her but asking me to see the book.  FUCK YOU!!!  Because once their lying eyes beheld the beauty of this woman, they were smitten!!!  There were a few haters I did NOT allow to come near that filthy book!!!   

What a memorable time in her life and career....and I thank her constantly for making it a memorable one in mine also!!!

Thank you, Madonna.  For not backing down.  For believing in yourself.  For enthralling me.  For simply being YOU!!! 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:13 AM, MeakMaker said:

Did she debut Erotica during that Aids Aid fashion event? Was the song banned from radio? I happen to hear songs like Rain or Deeper And Deeper on radio but I never hear Erotica. 

It wasn't banned - in fact, it debuted at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart, and it holds the record for the highest debut ever on that chart.  All of Billboard's chart experts expected it to go to #1, but Sex was released and sales of the single were nowhere near as strong as expected, unfortunately.  Its #3 peak was still extremely impressive, though.

I decided that Waiting should b a single THIS October :lol: In my head it is.

Its brilliant!

1 hour ago, acko said:

I just listened 2 the entire album in the bath tub :fag:

Your skin must look like a prune.

Just out of curiosity, if SEX hadn't exsisted (or was released 6months later) what commercially would of been the impact?

14 minutes ago, LVX said:

Your skin must look like a prune.

:rotfl:  I was thinking "better keep adding some HOT water"!!   But I have listened to the whole album several times in a Jacuzzi/hot tub (not alone either)!!!!  I almost made a S E X book pamphlet!!!!  

3 minutes ago, todsmod said:

:rotfl:  I was thinking "better keep adding some HOT water"!!   But I have listened to the whole album several times in a Jacuzzi/hot tub (not alone either)!!!!  I almost made a S E X book pamphlet!!!!  

What do you mean by "not alone" ? :smug: 

details please, :rotfl:

@runa  you nosey bitch!!!  I never kiss & tell.  Well, sometimes.  The thing was.....I'll just send you a PM (so I don't get fussed at for derailing a thread)!!!!

:dead: well... it's an Erotica thread. Talking about sex doesn't mean derailing it, :dead:

5 minutes ago, acko said:

:rotfl: Yes I kept adding water

Let it wash all over me.  Did you swim to the ocean floor too?  :chuckle:

3 hours ago, Confessit said:

Just out of curiosity, if SEX hadn't exsisted (or was released 6months later) what commercially would of been the impact?

The album and singles would've probably sold better as parts of the audience wouldn't have become as alienated as they did because of all the cunt-troversy unleashed by the book. She was coming from a mega imperial phase where Vogue, Justify My Love, This Used to be My Playground all went to #1, Erotica had the record for highest debut in history, she was on a roll. Songs like Bad Girl were never going to be a super smash but Deeper and Deeper, Fever, Rain could have been bigger hits.

3 hours ago, todsmod said:

@runa    I never kiss & tell. 

don't you mean "suck & tell"? Lol

adore Erotica but it was a tough time for a fan. The backlash was huge. M put on a brave face but it was tough on her as well.

the cassette didnt have all the pictures like the cd has in it. and 'erotica' video was banned in canada as well. 

but even on the cd i had bought years later, 'did you do it' was no where to be found. 

Erotica 25

Disc 1:

Remastered Album

Disc 2: Demos

You Thrill Me

Goodbye to Innocence

Bye Bye Baby

Deeper and Deeper

Dear Father

Shame

You Are the One

Thief of Hearts

Actions Speak Louder than Words

Rain

Love Hurts

Secret Garden

+ more

Disc 3: The Remixes

A selection of remixes from all singles

Disc 4: the DVD

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper

Bad Girl

Fever

Rain

Bonus features:

Erotica (Uncensored)

SNL performances: Fever & Bad Girl

Arsenio Hall performances: Fever & The Lady is a Tramp

MTV VMAs performance: Bye Bye Baby

On 16/09/2017 at 4:21 PM, Confessit said:

Most definitely agree that the album would have done much better and Erotica may have got to No.1. It's a great single that got overshadowed.  I always said the book should have come later as people would always buy filth out of curiosity. 

I actually found this era quite stressful - Erotica failed to get to No.1, Deeper and Deeper stalled missing the top five then Bad Girl stalled at No. ten. It seemed like everything she did she was getting hammered in the press for and she was getting less successful. 

Of course, it turned out to me an amazing era with great videos, remixes and photoshoots but geez, what a roller coaster.

14 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Erotica 25

Disc 1:

Remastered Album

Disc 2: Demos

You Thrill Me

Goodbye to Innocence

Bye Bye Baby

Deeper and Deeper

Dear Father

Shame

You Are the One

Thief of Hearts

Actions Speak Louder than Words

Rain

Love Hurts

Secret Garden

+ more

Disc 3: The Remixes

A selection of remixes from all singles

Disc 4: the DVD

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper

Bad Girl

Fever

Rain

Bonus features:

Erotica (Uncensored)

SNL performances: Fever & Bad Girl

Arsenio Hall performances: Fever & The Lady is a Tramp

MTV VMAs performance: Bye Bye Baby

They always lose me with the DVD's and the remixes. A good double set is what we need.

1 hour ago, acko said:

They always lose me with the DVD's and the remixes. A good double set is what we need.

I don't care much about the remixes in that kind of sets tbh. But I enjoy the DVDs and it'd be pretty much the only situation where they'd even consider releasing those videos together.

What an era! What a woman

Not just superb musically speaking

The debate she generated in Europe alone is astounding. Not surprisingly the voices of praise were coming more from 35-50 yo European intellectuals than American ones. Europe was waking up big time in those years.

Madonna was leaving behind a Republican run decade and a Democrat was getting into the WH so things might have gotten "safer" and she was coming off a decade of massive GP likeability, back to back endless string of commercial and in many instances critical triumphs, TB, LAP, Dick Tracy, BAT, The Immaculate Collection, TUTBMP, ALOTO ... She took it to yet another level of risk and didn't give a damn about selling "only" 6m copies worldwide

Richard and Judy cluelessly interrogating Callaway's CEO as if he was some dangerous terror suspect(same English Roses publisher) about "Madonna's need" to do this now "because usually stars do this when they're desperate for fame at the beginning, not when they have dominated an entire decade through a legitimate medium" :rotfl:Talk about missing the point of the SEX book.

Thank you for this amazing quarter of a century anniversary thread  @Mattress :bow::inlove: Masterpiece of an era and record