Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Mattress

EROTICA 25 - The Silver SEXiversary Thread (#MadonnaErotica25)

Recommended Posts

Just now, Alexz said:

A man that old saying he never saw a woman touching herself, what a loser. 

He lies!!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2017 at 4:53 PM, vocalism said:

My experience/reaction was very similar. I disagree on this one point though. Of course she would never be as popular as in the 1980s, but during the ROL era she was absolutely respected and liked by many different demographics and groups - gay, straight, male, female, rock, dance, electronica. Maybe R&B/hip-hop fans weren't on board, but my older sister and mom (who was about 50) was SO on board. Some of my straight male friends were into what she was doing too.

Music the song made all people come together (pardon the pun) one last time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Alexz said:

Music the song made all people come together (pardon the pun) one last time too.

I think the albums ROL, Music and COADF all had broad appeal.  The popularity 'decline' (for want of a better word) was after 4 Minutes.  The reasons are varied (ageism, current trends, etc) but there is no disputing it.

in my humble opinion, a truncated version of Rebel Heart (in two volumes -- 'Rebel' for the upbeat, 'Heart' for the reflective tracks) would have been the trick for wider appeal, again.  Very underrated album.  Ghosttown is the global hit that sadly never was, the Take A Bow of this era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

I think the albums ROL, Music and COADF all had broad appeal.  The popularity 'decline' (for want of a better word) was after 4 Minutes.  The reasons are varied (ageism, current trends, etc) but there is no disputing it.

in my humble opinion, a truncated version of Rebel Heart (in two volumes -- 'Rebel' for the upbeat, 'Heart' for the reflective tracks) would have been the trick for wider appeal, again.  Very underrated album.  Ghosttown is the global hit that sadly never was, the Take A Bow of this era.

I agree with that.

Once Hard Candy was finished and Celebration was released in 2009, when she eventually came back in 2012 nobody thought she'll never have a chart hit again. The decline was so dramatic in the space of 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree with that.

Once Hard Candy was finished and Celebration was released in 2009, when she eventually came back in 2012 nobody thought she'll never have a chart hit again. The decline was so dramatic in the space of 3 years.

Very dramatic decline, indeed.  The main argument I read over and over again is that Madonna now belatedly follows trends rather than CREATES them (after she recognises an underground trend and polishes it up for mass consumption).  I have favourite tracks from both HC and MDNA, but more for the good songwriting than the instrumentation/product.

 

Anyway, Erotica thrills for the fact that there are not too many cooks spoiling the broth!  RH's credits read like the overly long credits of a film's end titles!

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The videos for Erotica singles were brilliant. Bad Girl is a masterpiece. Louise Oriole is another "character" to emerge in a funny way from that era.  Loved the story, look, feel of that video clip and it was like a small mini movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The videos for Erotica singles were brilliant. Bad Girl is a masterpiece. Louise Oriole is another "character" to emerge in a funny way from that era.  Loved the story, look, feel of that video clip and it was like a small mini movie. 

Exactly!!  I watched ALL Erotica era videos more times than I could dare to remember!

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

Very dramatic decline, indeed.  The main argument I read over and over again is that Madonna now belatedly follows trends rather than CREATES them (after she recognises an underground trend and polishes it up for mass consumption).  I have favourite tracks from both HC and MDNA, but more for the good songwriting than the instrumentation/product.

 

Anyway, Erotica thrills for the fact that there are not too many cooks spoiling the broth!  RH's credits read like the overly long credits of a film's end titles!

 

image.jpg

I remember there being huge anticipation for Madonna's new music in 2012, the world was ready. As much as I love the majority of MDNA, the material just wasn't strong enough. GMAYL should never have been the lead off single. The decline in album sales was inevitable and can't be 100% attributed to GMAYL but the thirst was definitely there for one more worldwide smash hit single. I believe if something like Rebel Heart had been released in 2012, the era would have smashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh the bad girl video is a masterpiece .

When I ve realized back in the days that the abstract painting (an angel) the young murderer is looking at before he kills M ...that painting is behind M&MrWalken (HER angel now down on earth to kiss HER goodbye) down on the floor , I mean that metaphor is pure genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, idro said:

Oh the bad girl video is a masterpiece .

When I ve realized back in the days that the abstract painting (an angel) the young murderer is looking at before he kills M ...that painting is behind M&MrWalken (HER angel now down on earth to kiss HER goodbye) down on the floor , I mean that metaphor is pure genius

Yes, there is so much to that video.  I remember watching it over and over and noticing new things constantly.  Also the entire sense of dread throughout it along with melancholy.  It is the only time a video clip has made me love a song more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Alexz said:

Music the song made all people come together (pardon the pun) one last time too.

Yeah I know some people who weren't really into the whole ROL/spiritual girl phase but really dug "Music."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

image.jpg

 

Wish Celebration cover was more like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The videos for Erotica singles were brilliant. Bad Girl is a masterpiece. Louise Oriole is another "character" to emerge in a funny way from that era.  Loved the story, look, feel of that video clip and it was like a small mini movie. 

I went from not liking Bad Girl to it becoming one of my favourite M slow songs. Such a class video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

I remember there being huge anticipation for Madonna's new music in 2012, the world was ready. As much as I love the majority of MDNA, the material just wasn't strong enough. GMAYL should never have been the lead off single. The decline in album sales was inevitable and can't be 100% attributed to GMAYL but the thirst was definitely there for one more worldwide smash hit single. I believe if something like Rebel Heart had been released in 2012, the era would have smashed.

I agree had she of come out with Rebel Heart and LFL in 2012 alongside the Bowl she would of continued her chart glory (especially outside America, where she was having top ten singles upto 2009).

But MDNA killed her recording career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree had she of come out with Rebel Heart and LFL in 2012 alongside the Bowl she would of continued her chart glory (especially outside America, where she was having top ten singles upto 2009).

But MDNA killed her recording career.

This is an awesome thread so it would be a shame if it got derailed into a conversation about what killed M's recording career, but I don't think it's fair to say that MDNA is the culprit. A lot of pieces were in place long before that. At least in the U.S. AL was the first (and probably most significant) factor. COADF got by on word of mouth, but the fact is that she hasn't had a solo radio smash in the U.S. since "Don't Tell Me" (maybe "Die Another Day" if you're being generous). I've always thought TUTR (with a guest artist like Nicki) would have been a better lead single from MDNA, but if the follow-ups to 4M (including the Celebration singles) couldn't get any attention, there was no way anything from MDNA or RH was going to, regardless of how good they were. She's a woman in her late 50s in 2017. It's virtually impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, vocalism said:

This is an awesome thread so it would be a shame if it got derailed into a conversation about what killed M's recording career, but I don't think it's fair to say that MDNA is the culprit. A lot of pieces were in place long before that. At least in the U.S. AL was the first (and probably most significant) factor. COADF got by on word of mouth, but the fact is that she hasn't had a solo radio smash in the U.S. since "Don't Tell Me" (maybe "Die Another Day" if you're being generous). I've always thought TUTR (with a guest artist like Nicki) would have been a better lead single from MDNA, but if the follow-ups to 4M (including the Celebration singles) couldn't get any attention, there was no way anything from MDNA or RH was going to, regardless of how good they were. She's a woman in her late 50s in 2017. It's virtually impossible.

I didn't wanna want to derail the discussions just answering an earlier point in thread.

Youve made some brilliant points here though, although I do think it was the music that was the issue, MDNA is one of her weakest albums over all and it's lead one of her weakest. I think she'd of struggled releasing it with Warners.....I don't just buy the argument it was because she left, MDNA and GMAYL would still of been average had she'd of released the with Warners.

Edited by Confessit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59261472830096.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madonna+Erotica+-+Jukebox-41726.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MADONNA_EROTICA%2B-%2BNEW%2BALBUM%2B10.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

athens_artwork_stencil3news.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

_MG_2709-1920x1920.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

France, November 1992:

z08859.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popgear+Japan+November+1992+Erotica+page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too hot for Australia!

1992%2B10%2B21%2B-%2BOttawa%2BSun%2B-%2B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×