MadonnaNation.com Forums
Mattress

EROTICA 25 - The Silver SEXiversary Thread (#MadonnaErotica25)

wNNjkzh.png

On October 20, 1992, Madonna released one of her finest albums and launched perhaps the most significant, polarizing era ever in pop culture history.

She published some book, too.

Ladies and gentlemen... we have (rather unbelievably) reached Erotica 25.

:drama:

Dita first reared her saucy head in September,

her first official public appearance at Jean-Paul Gaultier's amFAR fashion show benefiting AIDS research where she unveiled a new, shiny gold tooth...

madonna-jpg_0.jpg

...and both of her breasts...

tumblr_mslpzb5jGL1s7xduro1_1280.jpg

...before a fleet of flashing cameras and an enthralled planet just aching to react.

343972.jpg

Shep Pettibone: "After three and a half months of working in the same studio and hearing the same songs day after day, it was a relief to have the album finished. Everything went smoothly except the last two songs, Why’s It So Hard and Words, both of which we had to recall for changes.

On September 12, I walked out of Soundworks with the completed master of Erotica in my hands.

A month later, I went to the Sex party. The Erotica blitz was about to hit in music, video, and book form and a variety of stars were coming out for the party. Madonna herself surveyed the scene during the midnight hour. I walked over to meet her in the DJ Booth. There was all this wild stuff going around us: people tattooing one another, couples simulating sex – it was crazy. And when I went to talk to Madonna, who was in the middle of it all, our conversations turned to music. For all the multimedia extravaganzas that were braying for her attention, it was still the music that mattered and it was the record that we fawned over. "

shep.jpg

So grateful to have been born in the early 80s so I could enjoy the early 90s with the best possible version of nostalgia.

she paved the way!

the album is my favorite of hers and should be recognized. Love this era. She was truly a brave rebel, always.

What an incredible and brave era. Love this thread already ! 

I am so happy to have lived this era (I was 17 in 1992) and to have felt the magnitude of the event. During October 1992, we heard about her everywhere: news bulletin, newspapers, radio, magazines, people on the street. No one was indifferent and opinions were very clear. People detested or loved it.

Mi #1 Song Ever! 

Favorite era.

Best era.

I live for this era. 

Even after all the shit got for "Erotica/Sex," the shit she STILL gets for it, it was one of the most important and defining moments of her career. It NEEDED to happen (for a number of reasons), and at that time she was the only one who had the balls and the intelligence to pull it off.  God bless her. 

Of all her eras I always come back to this one the most. Even in 2017 it sounds fantastic to me.

the closing lines on the title track have so many layers, give me chills each time.

and it was such a revealing , honest, gritty, colorful, beautiful, era too.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Did she debut Erotica during that Aids Aid fashion event? Was the song banned from radio? I happen to hear songs like Rain or Deeper And Deeper on radio but I never hear Erotica. 

This was a difficult era for me as I was 12 or so and my parents who had both been relatively warm towards Madonna until then (we would listen to all her cassettes in the car) came down firmly on the ”She's gone too far this time” side. So I had to rely on a friend to copy the album for me😜😜

Honestly, at that time I had no idea what those songs meant anyway....

I think i listened to that album every day for about 2 years! I was 15 when it came out and it was everything! Deep, dark and beautiful..the Andre Betts tracks were my absolute favourites...such an amazing time to be a fan, despite the horrific press at the time. Modern pop stars with all their victim mentality truly have no idea what it's like to be crucified by the press..it was relentless 

Such an amazing and exciting era and probably my favorite album! Ever!

She really pushed the boundaries sonically, visually, and socially - and I'm so glad that she did.

:bow:

5 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

Seems like everyone but her is doing deluxe reissues. Tori Amos, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Garbage, U2, Shawn Colvin, Live, Stone Temple Pilots.  The list goes on and on.  Her back catalog as we've all said is handled so poorly it's a sin.

Erotica could be her most important album.  In addition to its groundbreaking themes and diverse musical styles, the imagery was amazing, the videos exquisite, and music is exceptional.  Pop melodies hang out with beats of all kinds, great vocals and fantastic lyrics.