MadonnaNation.com Forums
Hector

Paste Magazine: The 10 Best Madonna Songs of the 21st Century

All remarkable songs, but kind of shitty write ups haha I have a love hate situation about many of the songs being more unknown or not even singles, because it makes it seem like decent songs from Madonna are hidden buried gems you've never heard of. At the same time, I love it if non fans discover great M songs they have never heard. SO I dunno.

Save for the writer's commentary, it's not a bad list.  Impressed with Gone at #1.

The song selections are actually quite interesting and non-obvious so that is a nice surprise - but the write-up is so damn bitchy. WTF?

9 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

It's written by a bitter cunt who needs to get laid, so fuck off to this web site

8 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

The cunty tone of it all as if IT understands Madonna's music better than MADONNA HERSELF...

THIS!!!

Typical "let's praise her a little, and then shade her too" bullshit. I mean, can the woman get her credit without being so passive-aggressively cut down at the same time? 

Tired as hell.

Actually I think it's a very weak list (I agreed with only 3 choices). My top 10 would be something like this...

1. Get Together
  2. Don't Tell Me
  3. Love Spent
  4. Devil Pray
  5. Easy Ride
  6. Impressive Instant
  7. Hung Up
  8. Rebel Heart
  9. Music
  10. Nobody Knows Me 

Basically loves her most balladish/boring songs except for Impressive Instant which only got a backhanded compliment.

What a shitty write up. Sad thing is, is that he's obviously a 'fan' because of the knowledge he hab about her and the songs themselves. 

MY LIST would go something like this: (no particular order)

1. Intervention
  2. She's Not Me
  3. Runaway Lover
  4. Celebration
  5. Future Lovers
  6. Best Night
  7. Hollywood
  8. Impressive Instant
  9. Inside Out
  10. Beat Goes On

While it's not one of my top albums, the cover art for Hard Candy is absolutely iconic. End of. 

This would be my list of Non-singles only

(Chronologically)

1. Impressive Instant
  2. Paradise (Not For Me)
  3. Easy Ride
  4. Future Lovers
  5. Isaac
  6. Heartbeat (I can't get enough of the "see my booty get down like - UH" bit)
  7. Devil Wouldn't Recognise You
  8. Falling Free
  9. Unapologetic Bitch / Holy Water
  10. Messiah

Nothing Fails should've been there

I love the list.  I might have included Nothing Fails, Easy Ride, or Joan of Arc but with so many treasures how can you hit everything?

8 hours ago, strictmachine said:

While it's not one of my top albums, the cover art for Hard Candy is absolutely iconic. End of. 

ABSOLUTELY! 

:brenspin:

5 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

Nothing Fails should've been there

:yes:

I don't think that list is right when it's missing Devil Pray, Rebel Heart, Love Spent, TBGO, Isaac, Mother and Father and Paradise. Even Music leaning, it skips the most interesting song. 

1. Jump 2. Devil Pray 3. Love Spent 4. Rebel Heart 5. TBGO 6. Hung Up 7. Get Together 8. Paradise 9. Isaac 10. Mother and Father

01. Nothing Fails

02. Hung Up

03. Devil Pray

04. Music

05. Rebel Heart

06. Heartbeat

07. Impressive Instant

08. Masterpiece

09. Isaac

10. Mother and Father

The commentary kind of ruined the whole thing for me. Why bother take the time to do something like this if your just gonna be a little bitch about it? I don't understand why he would give a majority negative review to a song like Devil Wouldn't Recognise You for example, why not give that spot in the list to another much deserving song like Love Spent or Music?What really irritated me was when he (and others) said Madonna jumped on the EDM bandwagon far too late? Are you fucking serious? Madonna has been experimenting with EDM since Bedtime Story. 

I dunno, I think there's a big difference between electronic music (like bedtime story) and EDM, which is like the uninspired, trashy cousin of proper electronic music. Something like Real McCoy or La Bouche would be a more accurate 90's analogy to EDM than the highly evolved electronica of bedtime story  IMO...

I dont consider her songs from MDNA EDM... they dont follow the typical beats + chorus + breakdown structure thats is present in most songs