MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedehead

DIVA REWIND: Mylene Farmer - "Je te Dis Tout" Live Timeless 2013

24 minutes ago, Aime said:

I love when @Roland Barthes talks about Mylene. It's always nice to get some insider info.

I must say that i really really love her run from her first album to her "Les mots" compilation after that i completly ignored her because the music was terrible and she was not very creative anymore. But on her first 4 albums she's magical, i like "Mylenium" less but it still got great songs (Je te rends ton amour is my favourite) and except the tepid duet with Seal, the new tracks on her compilation were great (C'est une belle journée but most of all Pardonne moi). She really hit rock bottom with that awful awful Red one track oui mais non)

That said i quite like Rolling stone, it's probably my favourite track of hers in the last 20 years or so. 

Her movie Ghostland just won a the top prize at a festival and the buzz surrounding it is very good. Laurent Boutonnat (her Patrick Leonard) is developping a mini series with an horror and fantastic theme or "terror" like he says, i have a very close friend who is friends with him and he told him that 3 weeks ago. Mylene is part of the project. 

She ALWAYS goes to #1 in France, it does not mean it's good. All her albums and first singles from the last 20 years went to the top of the french charts even though they were the biggest turds ever. This however gives me hope that it is a comeback to being creative.

I hate the people she's accointed with, gosh she collaborated with that fucking idiot Michel Onfray, we have the worst philosophers in the world, here they become tv personalities but most of the ones we see (ALL THE TIME) are from the right to far right politically speaking. I don't understand why she worked with this guy who is misogynistic. She also worked with two of her worst novelists, Amélie Nothomb (though she's from Belgium) and Marc Levy. 

My favourite album of hers is Anamorphosée. 

Pardonne-moi is fantastic and so underrated!

@Roland Barthes, I remember you saying that a lot of underground French producers would like to work with Mylene, I'd love it. Anamorphosée is my favourite too, followed by her debut album (I love Greta and Plus Grandir). It was the exact moment when she became more, well, 3D, everything before that was more like an act.

So is this lil lady releasing a new album or is it just a one off song for the movie?

3 hours ago, Aime said:

Pardonne-moi is fantastic and so underrated!

@Roland Barthes, I remember you saying that a lot of underground French producers would like to work with Mylene, I'd love it. Anamorphosée is my favourite too, followed by her debut album (I love Greta and Plus Grandir). It was the exact moment when she became more, well, 3D, everything before that was more like an act.

Not a lot but french dj Para One is a huge fan. Thing is about Mylene that she has very bad taste. 

This new album is also her first one not for Universal. She left the record company after the last one and followed its president whom was fired in his independent adventure. I totally see her working with Red One something Universal pushed her to do (he is a big fan). It reminds me of the Damita Jo situation when Daft Punk said publicly they would love to work with Janet in interviews and apparently even sent her a demo but she never even replied. 

I absolutely love Plus grandir but the album & single version, the version on the compilation "Les mots" is bad. Anamorphosée is when i started taking her seriously as an artist because she tried something different for the first time and it really took her to the next level that does not mean that "Cendres de lune" "Ainsi soit-je" and "l'autre" are bad, far from it but Anamorphosée is something else.

The teaser for her new video reminds me of Ghosttown.

Oh yes, the album version is something else. The video version with the title track used as an intro and the extra synth drop in the middle of the song is amazing too!

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Thing is about Mylene that she has very bad taste. 

So true. :rotfl:

11 hours ago, Suedehead said:

I dedicate this Mylene perf to acko 

I confess I find some of her (ahem) choreographies simply terrible, but I love her anyway. 😍

9 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

I must say that i really really love her run from her first album to her "Les mots" compilation after that i completly ignored her because the music was terrible and she was not very creative anymore. But on her first 4 albums she's magical, i like "Mylenium" less but it still got great songs (Je te rends ton amour is my favourite) and except the tepid duet with Seal, the new tracks on her compilation were great (C'est une belle journée but most of all Pardonne moi). She really hit rock bottom with that awful awful Red one track oui mais non)

I think Avant and PDS are brilliant albums, they have some duds yes (Looking For My Name, Nobody Knows, Redonne Moi) but I feel she kinda lost it after Monkey Me, IS was a bit of a return but some tracks are way too produced.

11 hours ago, Suedehead said:

To be fair the French singles chart is a joke. No streaming or downloads allowed. So not really reflective of the current market, but yeah it's great for legacy acts because it means that the loons that will buy the 5,000 physical copies will get it to No. 1.

Her chart runs are HILARIOUS post C'est Une Belle Journee 

Stolen Car is like 1 - 70 -150 - OUT

47 minutes ago, AlanLongoria said:

Her chart runs are HILARIOUS post C'est Une Belle Journee 

Stolen Car is like 1 - 70 -150 - OUT

You are right - partially. But I'm not sure, if "hilarious" is the accurate term for 17 number ones. 
Is it known what Mylène and Madonna think of each other?

1 hour ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

You are right - partially. But I'm not sure, if "hilarious" is the accurate term for 17 number ones. 

Reaching the peak is still respectable, when was the last time Madonna did that in France? Her albums still sell like hotcakes, Interstellaires sold 300k +, Madonna, in comparison, sold 50kish

Mylene said in an interview in the 90s that the only similarity she sees is thay they are both musicians, dancers and strong women 

1 hour ago, AlanLongoria said:

Reaching the peak is still respectable, when was the last time Madonna did that in France? Her albums still sell like hotcakes, Interstellaires sold 300k +, Madonna, in comparison, sold 50kish

Mylene said in an interview in the 90s that the only similarity she sees is thay they are both musicians, dancers and strong women 

Their only big difference seems to be that Madonna wanted to rule the whole world while Mylene is satisfied with a much smaller part of French/Russian territories - but why? Only because her English singles flopped or more because she can express herself better in French and is too introspective and shy for an "epic world career"?

I think both Madonna and Mylene love and respect each other's work. Mylene did go to one of Madonna's tours in 2000s, and they've had a dinner together (well, according to the press).

3 hours ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

They certainly admire each other. I read Mylène always attends M's concerts in France. 

By the way, I can't wait for the release of the remastered "Pourvu qu'elles soient douces" maxi single. The extended remix is my favorite version and there's also a non-album track called "Puisque...", that I love with all my heart. 

20 minutes ago, surannée said:

They certainly admire each other. I read Mylène always attends M's concerts in France. 

By the way, I can't wait for the release of the remastered "Pourvu qu'elles soient douces" maxi single. The extended remix is my favorite version and there's also a non-album track called "Puisque...", that I love with all my heart.

When I was a DJ in Berlin 1989, the club people loved Douces when I mixed it into Keep It Together (the album version, because it wasn't released as a single that time). Some weeks later I discovered the Libertine video in a record store and became a Mylene fan.

5 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

When I was a DJ in Berlin 1989, the club people loved Douces when I mixed it into Keep It Together (the album version, because it wasn't released as a single that time). Some weeks later I discovered the Libertine video in a record store and became a Mylene fan.

Did it work well? I'd love to hear it. "The Remix Club" still gets me going after all this time. :D

10 minutes ago, surannée said:

Did it work well? I'd love to hear it. "The Remix Club" still gets me going after all this time. :D

It worked very well: Douces is 90 BPM and Keep it Together is 104 BPM, I still have some mix tapes where I mixed these songs with Back to Life (Soul II Soul) and Ain't Nobody (Chaka Khan). The people on the dance floor loved the scratched "He-he-he-he-hey!" part on the Douces maxi.

IMO Monkey Me is her worst album. The only decent track is a remake of the song "Chloe" from her first album (largely inspired by Lalo Shiffrin's theme fot Amityville).

She loves Madonna, they met her with Boutonnat in 2004 during Re-invetion tour in Paris. Farmer was also photographed entering MSG in NYC for the Rebel heart tour (with a cast on her leg). She did a track for Maverick's soundtrack for The Rugrats movie. Madonna said in an interview in 1994 while promoting Bedtime Stories in Paris that she wanted to see Farmer's first movie Giorgino. Farmer used Donna de Lory as a back up singer on a tour. 

6 hours ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Their only big difference seems to be that Madonna wanted to rule the whole world while Mylene is satisfied with a much smaller part of French/Russian territories - but why? Only because her English singles flopped or more because she can express herself better in French and is too introspective and shy for an "epic world career"?

I think she tried to break the English market with the English version of Que Mon Coeur Lache but no one cared, deservedly so, that version sucks, lol.

I also recall she said she's intimidated by American crowds so she never tried to break it again.

26 minutes ago, AlanLongoria said:

I think she tried to break the English market with the English version of Que Mon Coeur Lache but no one cared, deservedly so, that version sucks, lol.

I also recall she said she's intimidated by American crowds so she never tried to break it again.

She tried earlier thant that. Her first single was recorded in english but the instrumental they chose was so lame. She did it again with Libertine, renamed Bad girl in english and it is atrocious.

the english version of her first single

compared to the french version which is delightful

Bad girl

The chorus in english is atrocious

Even My soul is slashed sounds corny, like she does not understand what she's saying. There's a lag between the music and the vocals too. They don't fit. And yet again they chose a different instrumental for the english version and like for My mum is wrong and Bad Girl it sounds flat compared to the french version

22 hours ago, Kim said:

TO BE FAIR, when was Madonna's last number 1 in France? Which was my point.

Living for Love - No 50 SMASH y'all.

Well to be really fair, France is not your typical market 4 non French speaking acts.

I think she had like one number-1 hit in the 80's. that being said...

MDNA en RH were BIG flops.

22 hours ago, Suedehead said:

I dedicate this Mylene perf to acko 

:rotfl: at that hopscotch feetwork ....

Thanx boo :kiss2:

43 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

One of my favourites by her Music + Video from 1988

I LOVE Sans Logique (or Sans Follicle, that's how I call it) 

I think it's one of her best songs overall. The whole album is great actually.

Sign in to follow this