MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KalamazooJay

WHY wasn't there 17th anniversary thread for MUSIC?

Just now, zizibello said:

Ahem...

"Hung Up" is in another completely different league than "Run" which actually SOUNDS LIKE A GENUINE JINGLE written for an advert. Thank God Madonna ditched it. 

While Music is not my #1 Madonna album (the throne belongs to ROL), it is definitely the album with the best selection of track listing. It shows her finest sense of quality by far. 

4 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Hung Up" is in another completely different league than "Run" which actually SOUNDS LIKE A GENUINE JINGLE written for an advert. Thank God Madonna ditched it. 

Well, it's not a good Demo for sure ... but you never know ... tweaking it around could have made it a good album cut

But, yeah - def not single material

5 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

Is  3:47 & onward the best instrumental outro of any song in existence?

Why yes. Yes it is!

Ughhhh this song! :drama:

I can dance to it all night long. 

I love everything about this single, this album, this era. This was peak fandom for me. I visited a half dozen or more Madonna sites every single day. I bought every magazine, scrounged for every scrap of news or rumor.

The Queen was so effortlessly cool in this era. She seemed so relaxed, so comfortable in her own skin. The music was cutting edge, unlike anything else out at the time -- but it still had that very Madonna feel to it. (I think it was melodies. She was undeniably the best melody-writer in the music biz from 1982-2000.) The urban cowgirl look was instantly iconic. Every girl in my high school had a cowboy hat after the music video dropped. (Boot-cut jeans, cowboy boots, and belt buckles followed soon after the "Don't Tell Me" video dropped.) The whole era was just the perfect mix of serious and fun from start to finish.

Everything about this era was just right. Even the little things, like using consistent artwork on the spines of the cassette and CD singles. And the Letterman 2000 show remains one of my all-time favorite Madonna TV appearances.

This era is perfect. My personal favorite, and among her all-time best.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:10 AM, tasteinmen said:

The video is the original Bitch I'm Madonna. I don't get why people get shocked by her "recent" pimp / gangsta ways, they've always been apart of her.

Loved it when this song came out, it was everywhere, once again, and such a change from her previous video American Pie.

The music channels would only play half the video.

Erm, no. "Music" is a parody of faux-gangsta materialism that dominated rap and hip hop videos in the late-90s -- the big cars, the big tits, the absurdly objectified women, the expensive champagne, etc. etc. The whole video is a send-up of rap / hip hop iconography, right down to a direct shot at Puff Daddy on the license plate.

"BIM" doesn't satirize anything -- if anything, it glorifies contemporary hip hop imagery and style. That's the exact opposite of "Music."

"Music" says "Look at how stupid and ridiculous this is." "Bitch I'm Madonna" says "Look how cool and fun this is."