Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KalamazooJay

WHY wasn't there 17th anniversary thread for MUSIC?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Shane said:

A real contender for my favorite Madonna album of all time.  Tight, effortless, no filler.  Folktronica.  Classic pop, ballads, dance, and experimentalism.  Everything she does so well with no facet left out or excluded.

Although ROL has emerged alongside LAP as her critical masterpiece, Music was extremely acclaimed upon its release, basically as much as ROL had been. Got excellent reviews and made many a year end list.

I agree. It's one of my favourite M albums because of those reasons you listed. It has a little bit of everything, is experimental yet feels very cohesive and tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a universe where ROL doesn't exist, Music would be the bookend alongside of LAP as her critical masterpiece. The ONLY reason Music is, shall we say, overlooked is because of ROL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

In a universe where ROL doesn't exist, Music would be the bookend alongside of LAP as her critical masterpiece. The ONLY reason Music is, shall we say, overlooked is because of ROL. 

Well said!

Additionally, I think Erotica is viewed as her underrated opus or lost masterpiece lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Music's first single up to the DWT, what a fantastic era :bow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She was so universally popular during in Music and respected. The press was amazing, the reviews were amazing. 

1998-2001 is most certainly a return to absolute domination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shane said:

A real contender for my favorite Madonna album of all time.  Tight, effortless, no filler.  Folktronica.  Classic pop, ballads, dance, and experimentalism.  Everything she does so well with no facet left out or excluded.

Although ROL has emerged alongside LAP as her critical masterpiece, Music was extremely acclaimed upon its release, basically as much as ROL had been. Got excellent reviews and made many a year end list.

Yes, yes, YES!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-09-06 at 11:03 PM, Gus said:

 

This performance makes me so nostalgic for the trio that was M, Niki and Donna. Maybe one day they'll perform together again.... I can hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Let's not forget the fabulous performance at The Grammy's that did 3 epic things

 

1. Teased us with clips of the last video of hers that got banned on MTV

tumblr_lqk1723ex21qfgkudo1_250.gif 

 

2. Gave us the  official Video Megamix of LIFE (That's reinvented on tours)

 

3. She debuted the iconic Squat Jump dance move...

KRD68Y.gif 

 

That till date looks ICONIC in every tour and song she includes it in...

 

Kr4bzY.gif

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

those squats were so powerful, I've never seen another human being being able to recreate them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love those squats!

I wasn't a fan back then but the MUSIC era was so big in school and everywhere. Radio and MTV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Friday, September 08, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Confessit said:

She was so universally popular during in Music and respected. The press was amazing, the reviews were amazing. 

1998-2001 is most certainly a return to absolute domination.

Remember as well how positive the reviews were & she was given  the respect she deserves. People were talking very positively about her being both an artist & legend.

No stupid polls to determine if selena gomez or Kelly Clarkson can take away Madonna's crown as QUEEN of pop.:chuckle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nick said:

Remember as well how positive the reviews were & she was given  the respect she deserves. People were talking very positively about her being both an artist & legend.

No stupid polls to determine if selena gomez or Kelly Clarkson can take away Madonna's crown as QUEEN of pop.:chuckle:

Golden years everything was brilliant.

Too much focus on her age now in the press but things like the MET ball don't do that any justice. (Not that I'm saying it wasn't brilliant but talking about bad press).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zizibello said:

 

 

Let's not forget the fabulous performance at The Grammy's that did 3 epic things

 

1. Teased us with clips of the last video of hers that got banned on MTV

tumblr_lqk1723ex21qfgkudo1_250.gif 

 

2. Gave us the  official Video Megamix of LIFE (That's reinvented on tours)

 

3. She debuted the iconic Squat Jump dance move...

KRD68Y.gif 

 

That till date looks ICONIC in every tour and song she includes it in...

 

Kr4bzY.gif

 

 

 

WELCOME BACK ZIZI. Missed having u around:brenspin:

Madonna JUMP SQUATS 💚💚

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spotlight said:

WELCOME BACK ZIZI. Missed having u around:brenspin:

 

Awwwww.... Thank you Peter, my sexy Greek God :*  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Awwwww.... Thank you Peter, my sexy Greek God :*  

You're welcome mister TEDX/TEDTalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spotlight said:

You're welcome mister TEDX/TEDTalk

*Blush*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i didn't like this era much aside from the singles. the album felt like leftovers from Ray of Light and the experimental beginnings of American Life.

Personally i did not find the album to be very cohesive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoodbyeToInnocence72 said:

i didn't like this era much aside from the singles. the album felt like leftovers from Ray of Light and the experimental beginnings of American Life.

Personally i did not find the album to be very cohesive. 

She made the wisest choices by not including tracks like "Cyber-Raga" (which I REALLY LOVE but doesn't fit with the rest of the album), "American Pie" (yes my copy doesn't have it), "Run" (yikes, I'm not here for Madonna singing a jingle to advertise a cheap cellphone), "Liquid Love" (now THIS is a ROL leftover).

It's a tight album with 10 strong tracks and nothing else, no bullshits detected, and it was NEVER intended to be "cohesive" in the first place sorry. It challenges your sonic experience. Madonna wanted to display the contrast between "urban" and "rural" sounds, that's exactly the spirit of the whole Folktronica stuff going on there. Music is not an easy/basic/safe/comfortable album. IT'S A MASTERPIECE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Run" (yikes, I'm not here for Madonna singing a jingle to advertise a cheap cellphone)

Ahem...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zizibello said:

Ahem...

 

 

"Hung Up" is in another completely different league than "Run" which actually SOUNDS LIKE A GENUINE JINGLE written for an advert. Thank God Madonna ditched it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Music is not my #1 Madonna album (the throne belongs to ROL), it is definitely the album with the best selection of track listing. It shows her finest sense of quality by far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Hung Up" is in another completely different league than "Run" which actually SOUNDS LIKE A GENUINE JINGLE written for an advert. Thank God Madonna ditched it. 

 

Well, it's not a good Demo for sure ... but you never know ... tweaking it around could have made it a good album cut

But, yeah - def not single material

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is  3:47 & onward the best instrumental outro of any song in existence?

Why yes. Yes it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

Is  3:47 & onward the best instrumental outro of any song in existence?

Why yes. Yes it is!

Ughhhh this song! :drama:

I can dance to it all night long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love everything about this single, this album, this era. This was peak fandom for me. I visited a half dozen or more Madonna sites every single day. I bought every magazine, scrounged for every scrap of news or rumor.

The Queen was so effortlessly cool in this era. She seemed so relaxed, so comfortable in her own skin. The music was cutting edge, unlike anything else out at the time -- but it still had that very Madonna feel to it. (I think it was melodies. She was undeniably the best melody-writer in the music biz from 1982-2000.) The urban cowgirl look was instantly iconic. Every girl in my high school had a cowboy hat after the music video dropped. (Boot-cut jeans, cowboy boots, and belt buckles followed soon after the "Don't Tell Me" video dropped.) The whole era was just the perfect mix of serious and fun from start to finish.

Everything about this era was just right. Even the little things, like using consistent artwork on the spines of the cassette and CD singles. And the Letterman 2000 show remains one of my all-time favorite Madonna TV appearances.

This era is perfect. My personal favorite, and among her all-time best.

 

On 9/7/2017 at 7:10 AM, tasteinmen said:

The video is the original Bitch I'm Madonna. I don't get why people get shocked by her "recent" pimp / gangsta ways, they've always been apart of her.

Loved it when this song came out, it was everywhere, once again, and such a change from her previous video American Pie.

The music channels would only play half the video.

Erm, no. "Music" is a parody of faux-gangsta materialism that dominated rap and hip hop videos in the late-90s -- the big cars, the big tits, the absurdly objectified women, the expensive champagne, etc. etc. The whole video is a send-up of rap / hip hop iconography, right down to a direct shot at Puff Daddy on the license plate.

"BIM" doesn't satirize anything -- if anything, it glorifies contemporary hip hop imagery and style. That's the exact opposite of "Music."

"Music" says "Look at how stupid and ridiculous this is." "Bitch I'm Madonna" says "Look how cool and fun this is."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×