MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KalamazooJay

WHY wasn't there 17th anniversary thread for MUSIC?

She was so down to earth during Music era! Guy R, the pregnancy, the baby, The Royal Wedding.. Loved the cool Daft Punk Mirwais sound but Ali G was the real star of the Music video.

index.jpg

On 9/7/2017 at 6:48 AM, XXL said:

And Nikki and Debi featuring in the video for the first single was such a lovely nod to the early days

Totally!!! Their inclusion makes it even more fabulous :wow:

On 9/7/2017 at 7:10 AM, tasteinmen said:

The video is the original Bitch I'm Madonna. I don't get why people get shocked by her "recent" pimp / gangsta ways, they've always been apart of her.

EXACTLY!

tumblr_nzf3exiEPA1qzjr2jo4_r1_400.gif

A real contender for my favorite Madonna album of all time.  Tight, effortless, no filler.  Folktronica.  Classic pop, ballads, dance, and experimentalism.  Everything she does so well with no facet left out or excluded.

Although ROL has emerged alongside LAP as her critical masterpiece, Music was extremely acclaimed upon its release, basically as much as ROL had been. Got excellent reviews and made many a year end list.

2 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

EXACTLY!

tumblr_nzf3exiEPA1qzjr2jo4_r1_400.gif

Omg Nikki's face in this gif ūüėā I never noticed this

2 hours ago, Shane said:

A real contender for my favorite Madonna album of all time.  Tight, effortless, no filler.  Folktronica.  Classic pop, ballads, dance, and experimentalism.  Everything she does so well with no facet left out or excluded.

Although ROL has emerged alongside LAP as her critical masterpiece, Music was extremely acclaimed upon its release, basically as much as ROL had been. Got excellent reviews and made many a year end list.

I agree. It's one of my favourite M albums because of those reasons you listed. It has a little bit of everything, is experimental yet feels very cohesive and tight.

In a universe where ROL doesn't exist, Music would be the bookend alongside of LAP as her critical masterpiece. The ONLY reason Music is, shall we say, overlooked is because of ROL. 

17 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

In a universe where ROL doesn't exist, Music would be the bookend alongside of LAP as her critical masterpiece. The ONLY reason Music is, shall we say, overlooked is because of ROL. 

Well said!

Additionally, I think Erotica is viewed as her underrated opus or lost masterpiece lol.

From Music's first single up to the DWT, what a fantastic era :bow:

She was so universally popular during in Music and respected. The press was amazing, the reviews were amazing. 

1998-2001 is most certainly a return to absolute domination.

6 hours ago, Shane said:

Yes, yes, YES!

On 2017-09-06 at 11:03 PM, Gus said:

This performance makes me so nostalgic for the trio that was M, Niki and Donna. Maybe one day they'll perform together again.... I can hope!

Let's not forget the fabulous performance at The Grammy's that did 3 epic things

1. Teased us with clips of the last video of hers that got banned on MTV

tumblr_lqk1723ex21qfgkudo1_250.gif 

2. Gave us the  official Video Megamix of LIFE (That's reinvented on tours)

3. She debuted the iconic Squat Jump dance move...

KRD68Y.gif 

That till date looks ICONIC in every tour and song she includes it in...

Kr4bzY.gif

I love those squats!

I wasn't a fan back then but the MUSIC era was so big in school and everywhere. Radio and MTV.

On Friday, September 08, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Confessit said:

She was so universally popular during in Music and respected. The press was amazing, the reviews were amazing. 

1998-2001 is most certainly a return to absolute domination.

Remember as well how positive the reviews were & she was given  the respect she deserves. People were talking very positively about her being both an artist & legend.

No stupid polls to determine if selena gomez or Kelly Clarkson can take away Madonna's crown as QUEEN of pop.:chuckle:

5 hours ago, Nick said:

Remember as well how positive the reviews were & she was given  the respect she deserves. People were talking very positively about her being both an artist & legend.

No stupid polls to determine if selena gomez or Kelly Clarkson can take away Madonna's crown as QUEEN of pop.:chuckle:

Golden years everything was brilliant.

Too much focus on her age now in the press but things like the MET ball don't do that any justice. (Not that I'm saying it wasn't brilliant but talking about bad press).

16 hours ago, zizibello said:

Let's not forget the fabulous performance at The Grammy's that did 3 epic things

1. Teased us with clips of the last video of hers that got banned on MTV

tumblr_lqk1723ex21qfgkudo1_250.gif 

2. Gave us the  official Video Megamix of LIFE (That's reinvented on tours)

3. She debuted the iconic Squat Jump dance move...

KRD68Y.gif 

That till date looks ICONIC in every tour and song she includes it in...

Kr4bzY.gif

WELCOME BACK ZIZI. Missed having u around:brenspin:

Madonna JUMP SQUATS ūüíöūüíö

3 hours ago, spotlight said:

WELCOME BACK ZIZI. Missed having u around:brenspin:

Awwwww.... Thank you Peter, my sexy Greek God :*  

5 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Awwwww.... Thank you Peter, my sexy Greek God :*  

You're welcome mister TEDX/TEDTalk

7 minutes ago, spotlight said:

You're welcome mister TEDX/TEDTalk

*Blush*

i didn't like this era much aside from the singles. the album felt like leftovers from Ray of Light and the experimental beginnings of American Life.

Personally i did not find the album to be very cohesive. 

1 hour ago, GoodbyeToInnocence72 said:

i didn't like this era much aside from the singles. the album felt like leftovers from Ray of Light and the experimental beginnings of American Life.

Personally i did not find the album to be very cohesive. 

She made the wisest choices by not including tracks like "Cyber-Raga" (which I REALLY LOVE but doesn't fit with the rest of the album), "American Pie" (yes my copy doesn't have it), "Run" (yikes, I'm not here for Madonna singing a jingle to advertise a cheap cellphone), "Liquid Love" (now THIS is a ROL leftover).

It's a tight album with 10 strong tracks and nothing else, no bullshits detected, and it was NEVER intended to be "cohesive" in the first place sorry. It challenges your sonic experience. Madonna wanted to display the contrast between "urban" and "rural" sounds, that's exactly the spirit of the whole Folktronica stuff going on there. Music is not an easy/basic/safe/comfortable album. IT'S A MASTERPIECE.

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Run" (yikes, I'm not here for Madonna singing a jingle to advertise a cheap cellphone)

Ahem...