MadonnaNation.com Forums
Royal T

People Magazine cover and interview

3 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Look, I'd love for popular culture to get some balls and actually say something...but the realist in me says don't put too much stock in it because it probably isn't going to happen. Hell, it hasn't really happened since, what, the 90s?  For decades now pop culture isn't taking that stand. Didn't start with the current crop of kiddies. Hell, where was it during the W. Bush regime? Looking to pop stars to inform the kids is a nice idea, but in the current landscape, as much as I think anything is needed to wake people up right now, I think expecting it to happen with pop stars is a long shot. That's why I'm willing to give credit to those like Katy and Pink who are are least trying to say something.

I don't think everything has to be overly literal though either. I think what Katy did, particularly considering her demographic, made a lot of sense. The question is whether these kids are looking past the surface and paying attention.

As for her other singles not also being political...Sometimes beating people over the head with it too much can actually have the opposite effect. I don't remember every single off AL directly addressing politics/politicians. In fact, most of that album wasn't even political (in a literal sense). It had a broader message.

Swift and Biebs? That's the last place I would look babe. :lmao:

I'd love to see a modern day "Imagine" or "What's Going On", or a great "fuck Trump" anthem though. Question is, does the industry even have artists that can pull that off anymore?

I mentioned them two because they're extremely popular at the moment. Not because I actually believe they would be that kind of artist but that should be irrelevant anyway. Anybody can come out with some sort of message.

And talking about Katy Perry which I love by the way I meant to say that if you first choose to release a song  that basically says to wake up and see out of ourselves and then you release a song about an old tired feud you lose all credibility. She should have been above that sort of crap when there are bigger problems on the horizon. 

14 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

If her true feelings will be political, I'm in. Whatever the QUEEN wants. 

IMG_1631.JPG

Yes!!!  :beret:

UGH WHEN DOES THIS COME OUT IN CANADA!

all i see everywhere is lemi remi

@MeakMaker @VogueMusic I think it all depends on the historical context and the artists credentials to make any kind of claims stating the climate of world or US specific affairs rather than the music genre they are coming from. 

I can tell you that there's a bigger historical movement regarding musicians that make public denounces and social commentaries on the abuse of power groups, on social and economic inequity of the people in Latinamerica, and the consequences that all this conditions have brought on us. 

They are very well respected artists and movements with many many followers but I'm afraid that they we wouldn't be categorized as pop artists, even though they share a common historical ground with other similar artists. If you have the chance there's a Puerto Rican artist named Calle 13 or Residente who is a Spanish speaking singer that makes incredible intelligent, deep, sometimes very funny lyrics regarding social issues and present conditions in a very clever way, but obviously he never gets played on the radio with the exception of very safe songs, he writes and produces his own records and he doesn't have a record company but he plays to sold out crowds of 40/50 thousand people...

I agree that CTTR was a very nice effort in making a step in denouncing social conditions but there's a ominous lack in continuity, context and consistency. 

I think there are many ways of making people think and reflect rather than a straightforward political song. But if there's going to be one it will be welcomed. 

Lovely article and 6 page spread of photos in Who magazine which is the equavilent of People magazine in Australia. Madonna is part of the cover with the headline of "Madonna's family album - at home with my kids" but the main cover star is reality star Sophie Monk who is the new Bachelorette :banghead: :wacko:  still, lovely long article and photos of Madonna inside with a very positive write up about her which is always appreciated.