MadonnaNation.com Forums
Royal T

People Magazine cover and interview

fantastic feature, mambo!

XXL    0
3 hours ago, peppermint said:

Took the last two at my local newsstands...and the guy said Man I have never sold that many people magazine in a day! The power of Madonna!!

The Irrelevance :laugh:

juliebean    0
1 hour ago, XXL said:

The Irrelevance :laugh:

someone on E-bay was selling it the magazine for 20$ on e-bay they are crazy. lol :blink:

Mluv    0

Madonna next re-invention is in full swing.   Authentic, Caring and Philosophical...  I sense we might have our "like a prayer' moment soon

MeakMaker    0
1 minute ago, Mluv said:

Madonna next re-invention is in full swing.   Authentic, Caring and Philosophical...  I sense we might have our "like a prayer' moment soon

You mean a SecretProject that is not so secret lol seriosuly I'd love for Madonna to come out as bold as never before with a strong message. I think the world is ready... well, maybe not that ready but I think there are more people willing to listen this time. When she did American Life and even Secret Project the state of the world was still too sleepy on so many issues. Now we are facing a complete shift on the matter and we need strong voices to speak up. I still haven't heard an anti Trump anthem from Perry or Cyrus, Beyonce etc... Only artist to do it was Eminem but it was during election. 

MeakMaker    0
10 hours ago, peppermint said:

Took the last two at my local newsstands...and the guy said Man I have never sold that many people magazine in a day! The power of Madonna!!

Yes! 2017 and M still selling mags as if it was 1987! You cant make this stuff up.. there's truly something about this special human being. Sometimes I wonder what historians are going to say about M. I think it will be a completely different piece compared to Marylin Monroe and Lady Diana. 

Kim    0
6 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

Now we are facing a complete shift on the matter and we need strong voices to speak up. I still haven't heard an anti Trump anthem from Perry or Cyrus, Beyonce etc... Only artist to do it was Eminem but it was during election. 

The whole nature of celebrity has changed though. They are no longer the untouchable heroes of yesteryear, they're now your Instagram "friend" next door.  When a really famous person went political in the past - Jane Fonda, Brando etc it was taken seriously. Now it's just fodder for trolls on facebook for a day or two before they move on to the next target. 

Eminem, who you mentioned, had a "fuck trump" t-shirt on at the gig my sister went to the other week. I think it got a small murmur on social media.

But it's not like half the world is silent about Trump. He's ripped apart on a daily basis by economists, scientists, heads of state etc. Doesn't make an impact really.

In fact, I'd say it's gone the complete opposite direction. Celebrity endorsements (or the opposite) tend to be just ignored. All those celebs that came out for Hillary made not one jot of a difference. May have done in the past, but not now.

I'd certainly like to see Madonna comment more about the economic and social impact of Trump's policies on her home country, but a specific anti trump song? another one-off appearance at a "women's march"? Naw.

MeakMaker    0
1 minute ago, Kim said:

The whole nature of celebrity has changed though. They are no longer the untouchable heroes of yesteryear, they're now your Instagram "friend" next door.  When a really famous person went political in the past - Jane Fonda, Brando etc it was taken seriously. Now it's just fodder for trolls on facebook for a day or two before they move on to the next target. 

Eminem, who you mentioned, had a "fuck trump" t-shirt on at the gig my sister went to the other week. I think it got a small murmur on social media.

But it's not like half the world is silent about Trump. He's ripped apart on a daily basis by economists, scientists, heads of state etc. Doesn't make an impact really.

In fact, I'd say it's gone the complete opposite direction. Celebrity endorsements (or the opposite) tend to be just ignored. All those celebs that came out for Hillary made not one jot of a difference. May have done in the past, but not now.

I'd certainly like to see Madonna comment more about the economic and social impact of Trump's policies on her home country, but a specific anti trump song? another one-off appearance at a "women's march"? Naw.

Yes definitely that, Kim.

And you are right about celebrities and their political message being not that impactful anymore but considering all the furore women march did and seeing people like Perry and Cyrus -who are still very popular and talked about -expressing their views on the presidency, state of the US/world, etc.. I haven't heard anything worth their outrage or political/social views through their music. If Perry thought Chained To The Rythm was her take on the issue it was way too dumbed down or simplicistic to strike a chord. Same goes with Pink who has always managed to release songs with a message anyway. What it annoys me the most is that in spite of the promise from such and such artist to resist and oppose this new American regime we see little sign of it in the artistic department. Maybe they're scared of the backlash/ fear of not being played on radio or being boycotted. Maybe record companies are showing them videos of Dixie Chicks cds being burned as a reminder of what might come if they take a stand against the president. It was well and good for them to support Hillary and then condemn Trump and protest against his presidency but if they have to put it on paper with their signature over their career no one seems to want to risk it. I might be wrong but still no big artist released a song against Trump or the policies the US government is taking. 

jasray    0
1 hour ago, Kim said:

You hit the nail on the head

rebelgirl    0

5 hours ago, Nastya Zubenko said:

So many wonderful photos!

I love this woman so much!

Perfect!

Pedro    0
3 hours ago, Kim said:

I think there's a whole world listening and being inspired by certain messages by artists that have earned the "credentials" to speak up. Even though a reaction in social media can be taken as modern measure of a message's penetration and importance, it doesn't represent the whole broader aspect of what all different targets really think o feel about the message they've been delivered and can't be taken as the solely indicator. 

I understand your point and I agree there seems to be a diminished influence of people who had a voice being worsened with the fragmentation and diversification of communication channels. 

There's also the point that you can't really measure the real influence that celebrities had in the past, maybe they were just as ignored as they are today, if they made all the headlines in the past their message could have not been understood. 

I think that artists could deliver a positive message to their audience like the case you posted of Eminent and can influence positively even if it doesn't make a dent in social media as most of the issues happening around the world. 

I hope Madonna keeps inspiring the ones who are ready and wiling to listen. 

Kim    0
17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I think there's a whole world listening and being inspired by certain messages by artists that have earned the "credentials" to speak up. Even though a reaction in social media can be taken as modern measure of a message's penetration and importance, it doesn't represent the whole broader aspect of what all different targets really think o feel about the message they've been delivered and can't be taken as the solely indicator. 

I understand your point and I agree there seems to be a diminished influence of people who had a voice being worsened with the fragmentation and diversification of communication channels. 

There's also the point that you can't really measure the real influence that celebrities had in the past, maybe they were just as ignored as they are today, if they made all the headlines in the past their message could have not been understood. 

I think that artists could deliver a positive message to their audience like the case you posted of Eminent and can influence positively even if it doesn't make a dent in social media as most of the issues happening around the world. 

I hope Madonna keeps inspiring the ones who are ready and wiling to listen. 

Well sure, for ME I'd like to hear Madonna being more politically astute and outspoken. For someone else, the high fashion photo shoot vibe of The Secret Project might be what inspires them, for someone else it could be...whatever. I don't think stars or celebrities have the gravitas, the mystique or the PR control they once had, partly because of social media and because everyone is just a little bit more enlightened about the world (of celebrity and of politics) 

I'd say the measure of the influence from celebrities in the past is if they're still of historical significance and/or still being referenced today. I've no interest in Jane Fonda but I heard about the whole Hanoi Jane thing, Brando declining his Oscar over his Native American support, The Hollywood Blacklist and McCarthy trials etc. etc.

On the other hand, why should there be an expectation for any of them to say anything at all? I've never looked to Madonna for political inspiration (artistic, yes) But if they want to put their hat in the ring, cool.

I thought Katy Perry's Brits performance with the giant Trump and Theresa May effigies was brilliant. Others thought it was shit.

So yeah, if Madonna want's to give us an anti-Trump song, that's great... it just better be a good song.

Pedro    0
7 hours ago, Kim said:

Well sure, for ME I'd like to hear Madonna being more politically astute and outspoken. For someone else, the high fashion photo shoot vibe of The Secret Project might be what inspires them, for someone else it could be...whatever. I don't think stars or celebrities have the gravitas, the mystique or the PR control they once had, partly because of social media and because everyone is just a little bit more enlightened about the world (of celebrity and of politics) 

I'd say the measure of the influence from celebrities in the past is if they're still of historical significance and/or still being referenced today. I've no interest in Jane Fonda but I heard about the whole Hanoi Jane thing, Brando declining his Oscar over his Native American support, The Hollywood Blacklist and McCarthy trials etc. etc.

On the other hand, why should there be an expectation for any of them to say anything at all? I've never looked to Madonna for political inspiration (artistic, yes) But if they want to put their hat in the ring, cool.

I thought Katy Perry's Brits performance with the giant Trump and Theresa May effigies was brilliant. Others thought it was shit.

So yeah, if Madonna want's to give us an anti-Trump song, that's great... it just better be a good song.

Agreed  :yes:

VogueMusic    0
On 9/9/2017 at 6:32 AM, MeakMaker said:

If Perry thought Chained To The Rythm was her take on the issue it was way too dumbed down or simplicistic to strike a chord. Same goes with Pink who has always managed to release songs with a message anyway.

I don't know about that.  While no one really has the boldness or guts of Madonna, considering the current state of popular music (and that most of these young artists are not saying or doing shit with their work anyway), I will give credit where it's due. I don't think it's 'dumbed down' or too 'simplistic'...I think they are trying to balance the act of wanting to say something with their work while also being commercial and palatable enough. I can understand that. Don't think it totally diminishes what they're doing though. And both pieces (CTTR and WAU) are pretty obvious in what they're trying to say.

As for not being Anti-Trump enough... I probably wouldn't expect it from a pop star anyway these days (except for M). I think looking for great popular entertainers to take that stand like in the 60s and 70s is long over, sadly. And while I'd love to see it, I don't think it's the only way to go about it. I think some are trying to get at a broader scope of things, like M with the MDNA Tour into the secretprojectrevolution into the RH project/tour...as so many of these issues are so much bigger than Don The Con alone. I don't even know if I want a pure 'anti-Trump' song from M either. Well, maybe one, but I don't even know if that's the most effective way to go about it anymore.

MeakMaker    0
7 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

I don't know about that.  While no one really has the boldness or guts of Madonna, considering the current state of popular music (and that most of these young artists are not saying or doing shit with their work anyway), I will give credit where it's due. I don't think it's 'dumbed down' or too 'simplistic'...I think they are trying to balance the act of wanting to say something with their work while also being commercial and palatable enough. I can understand that. Don't think it totally diminishes what they're doing though. And both pieces (CTTR and WAU) are pretty obvious in what they're trying to say.

As for not being Anti-Trump enough... I probably wouldn't expect it from a pop star anyway these days (except for M). I think looking for great popular entertainers to take that stand like in the 60s and 70s is long over, sadly. And while I'd love to see it, I don't think it's the only way to go about it. I think some are trying to get at a broader scope of things, like M with the MDNA Tour into the secretprojectrevolution into the RH project/tour...as so many of these issues are so much bigger than Don The Con alone. I don't even know if I want a pure 'anti-Trump' song from M either. Well, maybe one, but I don't even know if that's the most effective way to go about it anymore.

I just have to disagree on this. I think the average person is still oblivious to the real situation and that's because it's still not affecting them personally.. or possibly it can now if an hurricane is going to tumble your house down. But my point is no big artist took a stand against this government that every two weeks or so evokes or imposes a law that is going to disadvantagely effect a minority group. People won't care on the matter because it's not about them. Yes there is this knowledge that the liberal media or celebrities or Hollywood have their own agenda but that's not the point. Thai is not for your average American after all. This is for many young, impressionable people who need to be constantly told about this mess.

Chained To The Rythm was a nice try but as I said it was too tongue in cheek and simplicistic for peeps to take it seriously; maybe instead of a fair ground Perry should have showed the brutal reality. I take Perry performance at the Brits with more favours as it shows she does have an opinion and shes more than keen to express it but when she comes out with her second single recycling old feuds then in my book she loses all credibility. 

Fact that the biggest musicians (ie Swift and Bieber) who both enjoy a huge amount of exposure they're silent on the matter goes to show that yes there is still the old mentality that you can't slag off the government or the president. As much as it seems to become more and more acceptable to say something against Trump i still don't believe these so called artists are prepared to risk even a little fraction of their viewers or listeners in order to fight for what it is right. 

If we look at the charts/ most popular songs at the minute for example would you be able to say what sort of state we are living in? Apart from an occasional song that makes its round every blue moon I still have to listen to a big tune that clearly takes a position in opposing this new regime. It doesn't necessarily need to be anti Trump but at least shed a light on the current affairs. 

Jazzy Jan    0

Loved the message of chained to the rthym and admire Katy Perry for trying to make a political point. People unfortunately often lump all celebrities together now because too many people are famous for nothing.  Reality tv stars, celebrity bloggers, footballers wives and celebrity off-Spring who are not famous in their own right now mainly have more press than people who are singers, musicians, actors, authors, artists and sports stars etc.  Dilutes the messages from people that are famous for something when too many who are famous for nothing get so much attention. 

karbatal    0

I don't want a political song or album if she's conciously writing it. Best inspirational songs from Madonna come unconciously. She just has to let herself go and her true feelings will show, like the song Swim, for example. 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I don't want a political song or album if she's conciously writing it. Best inspirational songs from Madonna come unconciously. She just has to let herself go and her true feelings will show, like the song Swim, for example. 

If her true feelings will be political, I'm in. Whatever the QUEEN wants. 

IMG_1631.JPG

MeakMaker    0
5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Loved the message of chained to the rthym and admire Katy Perry for trying to make a political point. People unfortunately often lump all celebrities together now because too many people are famous for nothing.  Reality tv stars, celebrity bloggers, footballers wives and celebrity off-Spring who are not famous in their own right now mainly have more press than people who are singers, musicians, actors, authors, artists and sports stars etc.  Dilutes the messages from people that are famous for something when too many who are famous for nothing get so much attention. 

Yes it's all true but a song from a popular artist can still send a strong statement. Can you imagine if Taylor would have released a song about the state of the world instead of going on about her long ass feuds? 

MeakMaker    0

And by the way I'm far from wishing on a politically charged album. I'm all down for whatever she wants to do. Madonna's already done so much already that I don't need her to validate her political views one more time. I'm just disappointed that no big popular singer is taking a true stand against this hate filled regime.

VogueMusic    0
10 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

I just have to disagree on this. I think the average person is still oblivious to the real situation and that's because it's still not affecting them personally.. or possibly it can now if an hurricane is going to tumble your house down. But my point is no big artist took a stand against this government that every two weeks or so evokes or imposes a law that is going to disadvantagely effect a minority group. People won't care on the matter because it's not about them. Yes there is this knowledge that the liberal media or celebrities or Hollywood have their own agenda but that's not the point. Thai is not for your average American after all. This is for many young, impressionable people who need to be constantly told about this mess.

Look, I'd love for popular culture to get some balls and actually say something...but the realist in me says don't put too much stock in it because it probably isn't going to happen. Hell, it hasn't really happened since, what, the 90s?  For decades now pop culture isn't taking that stand. Didn't start with the current crop of kiddies. Hell, where was it during the W. Bush regime? Looking to pop stars to inform the kids is a nice idea, but in the current landscape, as much as I think anything is needed to wake people up right now, I think expecting it to happen with pop stars is a long shot. That's why I'm willing to give credit to those like Katy and Pink who are are least trying to say something.

Chained To The Rythm was a nice try but as I said it was too tongue in cheek and simplicistic for peeps to take it seriously; maybe instead of a fair ground Perry should have showed the brutal reality. I take Perry performance at the Brits with more favours as it shows she does have an opinion and shes more than keen to express it but when she comes out with her second single recycling old feuds then in my book she loses all credibility.

I don't think everything has to be overly literal though either. I think what Katy did, particularly considering her demographic, made a lot of sense. The question is whether these kids are looking past the surface and paying attention.

As for her other singles not also being political...Sometimes beating people over the head with it too much can actually have the opposite effect. I don't remember every single off AL directly addressing politics/politicians. In fact, most of that album wasn't even political (in a literal sense). It had a broader message.

Fact that the biggest musicians (ie Swift and Bieber) who both enjoy a huge amount of exposure they're silent on the matter goes to show that yes there is still the old mentality that you can't slag off the government or the president. As much as it seems to become more and more acceptable to say something against Trump i still don't believe these so called artists are prepared to risk even a little fraction of their viewers or listeners in order to fight for what it is right. 

If we look at the charts/ most popular songs at the minute for example would you be able to say what sort of state we are living in? Apart from an occasional song that makes its round every blue moon I still have to listen to a big tune that clearly takes a position in opposing this new regime. It doesn't necessarily need to be anti Trump but at least shed a light on the current affairs. 

Swift and Biebs? That's the last place I would look babe. :lmao:

I'd love to see a modern day "Imagine" or "What's Going On", or a great "fuck Trump" anthem though. Question is, does the industry even have artists that can pull that off anymore?

VogueMusic    0
8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Well said.

2 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

Yes it's all true but a song from a popular artist can still send a strong statement. Can you imagine if Taylor would have released a song about the state of the world instead of going on about her long ass feuds? 

That's assuming Taylor cares about anything other than her own ego....:newspaper: