Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Jazzy Jan

Australia legalizes marriage equality!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

 

Are we the only Aussies on this board Jazzy? Surely not!

Unfortunately not many Australians venture into the Politics section 

4 hours ago, Leebf said:

Yay so happy yes won. A little disappointed that the yes vote was not higher and that NSW was one of the worst performers in the country with quite a few No results winning. I am pleased that my area Warringah (Tony Abbotts electorate) voted in favour of yes by 76%!

 

Shocked that New South Wales had the biggest percentage of No votes out of all Australian states and the 2 territories. The Yes vote still got home easily in NSW but it was the only state that had less than 60 % voting yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now Kylie can finally get married to Sasse Away.   

Oh,  wait... 

:lmao:

Remember their stupid campaign????  

Anyway,  congratulations on the World Cup! Three's a charm,  get ready for Eurovision!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jazzy Jan NSW numbers were low due to the inner west sydney suburbs that have a high population of immigrants with strong religious beliefs (muslim & catholic). People in this area are from Asia, the middle east & Europe, who don't believe in marriage equality or same sex relationships. Unfortunately as these areas voted no over 70% this brought down our average yes vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Leebf said:

@Jazzy Jan NSW numbers were low due to the inner west sydney suburbs that have a high population of immigrants with strong religious beliefs (muslim & catholic). People in this area are from Asia, the middle east & Europe, who don't believe in marriage equality or same sex relationships. Unfortunately as these areas voted no over 70% this brought down our average yes vote.

And Australians r what exactly!? Gurl...

Either way, way 2 go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, karbatal said:

Now Kylie can finally get married to Sasse Away.   

Oh,  wait... 

:lmao:

Remember their stupid campaign????  

 

:dead:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leebf. @Rugbyguy   Loving this. The mood and joy in Australia is electric.  Never seen Australia as happy as this since winning the America cup years ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Leebf. @Rugbyguy   Loving this. The mood and joy in Australia is electric.  Never seen Australia as happy as this since winning the America cup years ago.  

Yeah it's great. I'm quite taken aback with the support from the straight community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Leebf. @Rugbyguy   Loving this. The mood and joy in Australia is electric.  Never seen Australia as happy as this since winning the America cup years ago.  

Yes it is amazing everyone seems happy and relieved. I'm just glad the horrible ads have stopped and the daily arguments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🌈 L O V E     W O N 🌈

Same sex marriage is now legal in Australia! Congratulations everyone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg congratulations 🎊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so interesting that rural areas in the middle of nowhere were so supportive, but some Sydney suburbs just a few miles from downtown voted 70-80% against gay marriage. Basically all the NO vote came from certain Sydney suburbs. Not rural areas or smaller cities that much.

The same has been happening in Europe with certain immigrant populations. That's why a significant number of gays vote for extreme right wing parties. Instead of demonising those groups of people we should try to open their eyes. It's not their fault they come from countries that are so backwards. At the end of the day, they vote massively for Labour which is more gay friendly and tolerant so they help minorities with their vote. It just shows you that cultural issues are kind of irrelevant in Australian politics, as they should be. It seems like it is more about class, income, taxes etc.. What do the Australian members have to say about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to my Aussie pals on here!! Soo wish I was there to celebrate and be part of it all :inlove:and..frrankly to friggin live there about now! lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 2:47 PM, iasonas said:

It is so interesting that rural areas in the middle of nowhere were so supportive, but some Sydney suburbs just a few miles from downtown voted 70-80% against gay marriage. Basically all the NO vote came from certain Sydney suburbs. Not rural areas or smaller cities that much.

t just shows you that cultural issues are kind of irrelevant in Australian politics, as they should be. It seems like it is more about class, income, taxes etc.. What do the Australian members have to say about this?

No, this is actually massively incorrect. I don't think you understand Australian demographics and how they translate in Australian politics. The result was [directly a reflection of cultural issues in Australia. The Sydney suburbs that voted no (and many other No voting electorates) have high proportions of immigrants or "first generation" Australians. Particularly they are of Muslim or Orthodox backgrounds who are way less likely to support marriage equality. These electorates also tend to have a lower socio-economic status. Lower socio-economic electorates are also more likely to vote Labor which is the working class/Union backed party in Australia.

The electorates that voted yes were more likely to be "white", university educated and wealthier. They also tended to be in Liberal electorates. (This is a bit of a misnomer because the Liberal party are considered the conservative party of Australian politics.)

The irony here is that the Australian media pushed the view that Labor voters were strongly in support of marriage equality whereas Liberals were seen to want it to fail. This was based on the vocal elements of each party and is the reason why we ended up with a postal vote. During the "campaign" many Liberal politicians were pushing the message that their "conservative" electorates were in favor of traditional marriage including the former PM Tony Abbott (who's electorate returned one of the highest yes votes I believe). Basically both parties were in contrast to what their electorates voted overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 1:55 AM, Napoléon said:

No, this is actually massively incorrect. I don't think you understand Australian demographics and how they translate in Australian politics. The result was [directly a reflection of cultural issues in Australia. The Sydney suburbs that voted no (and many other No voting electorates) have high proportions of immigrants or "first generation" Australians. Particularly they are of Muslim or Orthodox backgrounds who are way less likely to support marriage equality. These electorates also tend to have a lower socio-economic status. Lower socio-economic electorates are also more likely to vote Labor which is the working class/Union backed party in Australia.

The electorates that voted yes were more likely to be "white", university educated and wealthier. They also tended to be in Liberal electorates. (This is a bit of a misnomer because the Liberal party are considered the conservative party of Australian politics.)

The irony here is that the Australian media pushed the view that Labor voters were strongly in support of marriage equality whereas Liberals were seen to want it to fail. This was based on the vocal elements of each party and is the reason why we ended up with a postal vote. During the "campaign" many Liberal politicians were pushing the message that their "conservative" electorates were in favor of traditional marriage including the former PM Tony Abbott (who's electorate returned one of the highest yes votes I believe). Basically both parties were in contrast to what their electorates voted overall.

u ramble and seem as unlikable grating as that damn rancid moth ball stinky Danielle Pletka who frequently  infests my weekend morning news with Chuck Todd. Wow. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Napoléon and @Leebf are correct.  The areas that voted no has been discussed in a lot of detail in Australia by statisticians and media.  There was a lot of surprise about Sydney having a higher percentage of no votes then other cities. The Sydney areas that overwhelmingly voted No were for religious reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

u ramble and seem as unlikable grating as that damn rancid moth ball stinky Danielle Pletka who frequently  infests my weekend morning news with Chuck Todd. Wow. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hahaha who the fuck is this cunt?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 1:55 AM, Napoléon said:

No, this is actually massively incorrect. I don't think you understand Australian demographics and how they translate in Australian politics. The result was [directly a reflection of cultural issues in Australia. The Sydney suburbs that voted no (and many other No voting electorates) have high proportions of immigrants or "first generation" Australians. Particularly they are of Muslim or Orthodox backgrounds who are way less likely to support marriage equality. These electorates also tend to have a lower socio-economic status. Lower socio-economic electorates are also more likely to vote Labor which is the working class/Union backed party in Australia.

The electorates that voted yes were more likely to be "white", university educated and wealthier. They also tended to be in Liberal electorates. (This is a bit of a misnomer because the Liberal party are considered the conservative party of Australian politics.)

The irony here is that the Australian media pushed the view that Labor voters were strongly in support of marriage equality whereas Liberals were seen to want it to fail. This was based on the vocal elements of each party and is the reason why we ended up with a postal vote. During the "campaign" many Liberal politicians were pushing the message that their "conservative" electorates were in favor of traditional marriage including the former PM Tony Abbott (who's electorate returned one of the highest yes votes I believe). Basically both parties were in contrast to what their electorates voted overall.

 

Well, in a way that supports that cultural issues are not that relevant when it comes to voting in a general election. It's all about socio-economic status. Otherwise the NO areas in Sydney wouldn't be such Labour strongholds since Labour is considered more gay friendly. Also, Tony Abbott's voters obviously do not care about the fact that he's such a bigot even though they overwhelmingly support gay marriage. I guess tax cuts, smaller government, less state intervention, free trade or whatever else Abbott's party stands for are much more important to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iasonas said:

 

Well, in a way that supports that cultural issues are not that relevant when it comes to voting in a general election. It's all about socio-economic status. Otherwise the NO areas in Sydney wouldn't be such Labour strongholds since Labour is considered more gay friendly. Also, Tony Abbott's voters obviously do not care about the fact that he's such a bigot even though they overwhelmingly support gay marriage. I guess tax cuts, smaller government, less state intervention, free trade or whatever else Abbott's party stands for are much more important to them.

Tony Abbott was never a typical leader of the Liberal party.  He is deeply religious and a part of the right wing faction of the Liberal party.  It is because of the religious and ultra conservative factions of the Lib party, that we had a postal vote on marriage equality.  Most of the Liberal party and a huge majority of the Labor party wanted marriage equality but our current Liberal party leader and PM Malcolm Turnbull  ( who replaced Abbott as leader ) had to appease the ultra conservative factions of his party. They have more say in politics due to their involvement and numbers in parliament. 

Tony Abbott was an extremely unpopular leader with the General public. The overwhelming majority of Labor voters and areas which were dominated by Labor voters, voted yes.  It was purely for religious reasons that the No votes got up in certain seats in Sydney.  The majority of both Labor and Liberal voters voted yes in every state. Was a great result for marriage equality and gave the government a clear mandate to recognise and implement marriage equality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×