Australia legalizes marriage equality!

The big Evangelical mega-church 'Hillsong' that Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, and a whole load of young Hollywood celebs attend (and hang with all the pastors) was, of course, on the no side -

"Brian Houston, founder of the Australia-based global evangelical megachurch Hillsong has released a letter urging all Christians to vote, saying, “I believe God’s Word is clear that marriage is between a man and a woman,” and adding, “The writings of the apostle Paul in scripture on the subject of homosexuality are also clear, as I have mentioned in previous public statements.”     http://religiondispatches.org/australian-church-leaders-see-marriage-vote-as-battle-for-soul-of-australia-global-lgbt-recap-1030/

Always found it kind of ironic that lots of these young celebs love this church so much...

Are we the only 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

What a great day for Australia. Yes vote gets home easily and Australia has just qualified for the World Cup :tigger:

Are we the only Aussies on this board Jazzy? Surely not!

Yay so happy yes won. A little disappointed that the yes vote was not higher and that NSW was one of the worst performers in the country with quite a few No results winning. I am pleased that my area Warringah (Tony Abbotts electorate) voted in favour of yes by 76%!

Whilst we have won the survey vote we have not won the fight as yet and still need the laws changed, but i am so happy that Australia showed it was a progressive nation and not a backwards one.

I have just got home from celebrating in oxford street Sydney, where we marched all the way down oxford street celebrating and the DJ played like a prayer as we marched past St Marys catholic church and the whole crowd sang along and really got into the song. It sounded amazing to hear everyone sing Madonna and celebrate love and praying for equality.

20171115_184357.jpg

20171115_190358.jpg

20171115_193556.jpg

20171115_200249.jpg

4 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Are we the only Aussies on this board Jazzy? Surely not!

Unfortunately not many Australians venture into the Politics section 

4 hours ago, Leebf said:

Yay so happy yes won. A little disappointed that the yes vote was not higher and that NSW was one of the worst performers in the country with quite a few No results winning. I am pleased that my area Warringah (Tony Abbotts electorate) voted in favour of yes by 76%!

Shocked that New South Wales had the biggest percentage of No votes out of all Australian states and the 2 territories. The Yes vote still got home easily in NSW but it was the only state that had less than 60 % voting yes. 

@Jazzy Jan NSW numbers were low due to the inner west sydney suburbs that have a high population of immigrants with strong religious beliefs (muslim & catholic). People in this area are from Asia, the middle east & Europe, who don't believe in marriage equality or same sex relationships. Unfortunately as these areas voted no over 70% this brought down our average yes vote.

18 hours ago, Leebf said:

@Jazzy Jan NSW numbers were low due to the inner west sydney suburbs that have a high population of immigrants with strong religious beliefs (muslim & catholic). People in this area are from Asia, the middle east & Europe, who don't believe in marriage equality or same sex relationships. Unfortunately as these areas voted no over 70% this brought down our average yes vote.

And Australians r what exactly!? Gurl...

Either way, way 2 go!

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Leebf. @Rugbyguy   Loving this. The mood and joy in Australia is electric.  Never seen Australia as happy as this since winning the America cup years ago.  

Yeah it's great. I'm quite taken aback with the support from the straight community.

5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Leebf. @Rugbyguy   Loving this. The mood and joy in Australia is electric.  Never seen Australia as happy as this since winning the America cup years ago.  

Yes it is amazing everyone seems happy and relieved. I'm just glad the horrible ads have stopped and the daily arguments.

• 3 weeks later...

It is so interesting that rural areas in the middle of nowhere were so supportive, but some Sydney suburbs just a few miles from downtown voted 70-80% against gay marriage. Basically all the NO vote came from certain Sydney suburbs. Not rural areas or smaller cities that much.

The same has been happening in Europe with certain immigrant populations. That's why a significant number of gays vote for extreme right wing parties. Instead of demonising those groups of people we should try to open their eyes. It's not their fault they come from countries that are so backwards. At the end of the day, they vote massively for Labour which is more gay friendly and tolerant so they help minorities with their vote. It just shows you that cultural issues are kind of irrelevant in Australian politics, as they should be. It seems like it is more about class, income, taxes etc.. What do the Australian members have to say about this?

Congrats to my Aussie pals on here!! Soo wish I was there to celebrate and be part of it all :inlove:and..frrankly to friggin live there about now! lol 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:47 PM, iasonas said:

It is so interesting that rural areas in the middle of nowhere were so supportive, but some Sydney suburbs just a few miles from downtown voted 70-80% against gay marriage. Basically all the NO vote came from certain Sydney suburbs. Not rural areas or smaller cities that much.

t just shows you that cultural issues are kind of irrelevant in Australian politics, as they should be. It seems like it is more about class, income, taxes etc.. What do the Australian members have to say about this?

No, this is actually massively incorrect. I don't think you understand Australian demographics and how they translate in Australian politics. The result was [directly a reflection of cultural issues in Australia. The Sydney suburbs that voted no (and many other No voting electorates) have high proportions of immigrants or "first generation" Australians. Particularly they are of Muslim or Orthodox backgrounds who are way less likely to support marriage equality. These electorates also tend to have a lower socio-economic status. Lower socio-economic electorates are also more likely to vote Labor which is the working class/Union backed party in Australia.

The electorates that voted yes were more likely to be "white", university educated and wealthier. They also tended to be in Liberal electorates. (This is a bit of a misnomer because the Liberal party are considered the conservative party of Australian politics.)

The irony here is that the Australian media pushed the view that Labor voters were strongly in support of marriage equality whereas Liberals were seen to want it to fail. This was based on the vocal elements of each party and is the reason why we ended up with a postal vote. During the "campaign" many Liberal politicians were pushing the message that their "conservative" electorates were in favor of traditional marriage including the former PM Tony Abbott (who's electorate returned one of the highest yes votes I believe). Basically both parties were in contrast to what their electorates voted overall.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:55 AM, Napoléon said:

No, this is actually massively incorrect. I don't think you understand Australian demographics and how they translate in Australian politics. The result was [directly a reflection of cultural issues in Australia. The Sydney suburbs that voted no (and many other No voting electorates) have high proportions of immigrants or "first generation" Australians. Particularly they are of Muslim or Orthodox backgrounds who are way less likely to support marriage equality. These electorates also tend to have a lower socio-economic status. Lower socio-economic electorates are also more likely to vote Labor which is the working class/Union backed party in Australia.

The electorates that voted yes were more likely to be "white", university educated and wealthier. They also tended to be in Liberal electorates. (This is a bit of a misnomer because the Liberal party are considered the conservative party of Australian politics.)

The irony here is that the Australian media pushed the view that Labor voters were strongly in support of marriage equality whereas Liberals were seen to want it to fail. This was based on the vocal elements of each party and is the reason why we ended up with a postal vote. During the "campaign" many Liberal politicians were pushing the message that their "conservative" electorates were in favor of traditional marriage including the former PM Tony Abbott (who's electorate returned one of the highest yes votes I believe). Basically both parties were in contrast to what their electorates voted overall.

u ramble and seem as unlikable grating as that damn rancid moth ball stinky Danielle Pletka who frequently  infests my weekend morning news with Chuck Todd. Wow. 

@Napoléon and @Leebf are correct.  The areas that voted no has been discussed in a lot of detail in Australia by statisticians and media.  There was a lot of surprise about Sydney having a higher percentage of no votes then other cities. The Sydney areas that overwhelmingly voted No were for religious reasons.