2017 Hurricanes

Camacho

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-tweeting-harvey-mum-storm-victims-article-1.3446781

Trump keeps tweeting about Harvey, but is mum on storm victims

BY  JASON SILVERSTEIN 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 2:10 PM

As Tropical Storm Harvey wreaked historic havoc on Houston, the President kept tweeting.

President Trump essentially live-tweeted the monster Texas storm as it intensified on Sunday — hyping its size but saying nothing about its victims. Trump's only acknowledgement of the lives lost came second-hand through a White House statement. 

In nearly 10 tweets spanning the morning and afternoon, Trump made no mention of the death toll, which reached at least five.

Instead, he assured that the hurricane — which is expected to bring the highest-ever rainfall to Houston — is awfully big.

“Many people are now saying that this is the worst storm/hurricane they have ever seen. Good news is that we have great talent on the ground,” he wrote in one tweet.

In another, he proclaimed, “Wow - Now experts are calling #Harvey a once in 500 year flood! We have an all out effort going, and going well!”

And in yet another tweet he added: “Even experts have said they've never seen one like this!”

In between his flood of Harvey messages, Trump also tweeted about his Mexico border wall, his plans to potentially end NAFTA and his election results.

Trump said he would be visiting Texas as soon as he could do so without “causing disruption.”

He continued, “I will also be going to a wonderful state, Missouri, that I won by a lot in '16.”

Trump also plugged a book by Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke — a Trump supporter with a history of alleged abuse — before tweeting a word on Sunday about the hurricane.

The White House has said Trump plans to visit Texas early this week, but it has not given a date. He is also scheduled to visit Missouri this week to promote tax reform, one of his legislative priorities when Congress returns in September.

As Trump tweeted, Houston residents struggled to endure as Harvey’s punishing floods and rain swallowed up the city. The National Weather Service said some parts of the country’s fourth-largest city could get hit with an unprecedented 50 inches of rain by the end of the week.

“This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced. Follow orders from officials to ensure safety. #Harvey,” the weather service tweeted.

The storm will be the Trump administration's first test for how it handles natural disasters. 

The White House said in a statement that Trump and Vice President Pence held a video conference with officials Sunday to discuss federal support for Harvey.

The statement said Trump's "number one priority is saving lives."

"The President and Vice President continue to extend their thoughts and prayers to those affected and recognize the many volunteer and faith-based organizations dedicating time and effort to helping fellow Americans," it said.

FEMA Director William (Brock) Long said Harvey could become the worst disaster in Texas history, and that recovery efforts will last “many years.”

Thinking about and praying for those affected Texans.  I was a little nervous, living in Louisiana.  We've been getting steady rain, but nothing like Texas.

As for this so-called President, he just needs to STFU!!!  

I can't believe those elderly people in nursing home, sitting in water!!!  I did notice that they still had electricity!!  I'd be scared to turn anything electrical on, in fear of getting electrocuted.  Hope they made it to safety.

What a devastating storm. I have two friends who live in the Houston area and the pictures they've sent me look like they're from the Day After Tomorrow. It's absolutely heartbreaking. 

The media is talking about thousands of people being affected, but when it's all said and done, millions are going be homeless for weeks if not months. 

Amd the rain is going to continue until Friday. 

Guest ditaluver

both of my parents are trapped in their homes, surrounded by water. However, the water has not entered their homes yet.

Supposed to get hammered with more rain tonight so I pray the situation doesnt get worse for them!

8 hours ago, Hector said:

It's horrible! The flooding and devastation is going to get worse! Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S.

So awful and distressing. Natural weather disasters are so cruel and destructive in every way possible. 

9 hours ago, ditaluver said:

both of my parents are trapped in their homes, surrounded by water. However, the water has not entered their homes yet.

Supposed to get hammered with more rain tonight so I pray the situation doesnt get worse for them!

Hope they are ok. 

:cries: 

On the local ABC news here they showed a  couple hundred dogs and cats that were evacuated from a shelter in Texas and brought all the way to a shelter in New Jersey. If they weren't taken out of there and they would all be drowned now. They looked scared like the dog above. :cries:

1 hour ago, Hector said:

:cries: 

On the local ABC news here they showed a  couple hundred dogs and cats that were evacuated from a shelter in Texas and brought all the way to a shelter in New Jersey. If they weren't taken out of there and they would all be drowned now. They looked scared like the dog above. :cries:

:cries: He looks so terrified. 

So much devastation. Mother Nature is the cruelest mother of all with natural weather disasters.  Seeing people in shelters, people in nursing homes up to their waists in water, people losing their homes, others being trapped and pets being left to drown.  Heart breaking. 

Totally heartbreaking.  I honestly don't think I could leave my dogs/pets behind.  We've been hit by hurricanes before and have had major damage....but never flooded.  Mostly wind damage, loss of power for a week and stranded.  But again, never HAD to evacuate...thank God.  You can't predict what mother nature will do.

@ditaluver  Hope your parents are still ok.  I know they said the water was still rising as of last night.  It will definitely be a long and daunting task repairing the damage Harvey left behind.  

:(

A shelter near Houston for at least 100 displaced people has been overrun by Harvey floodwaters, forcing weary evacuees to retreat to bleacher seats, according to the Associated Press. Jefferson County sheriff’s deputy Marcus McLellan said Wednesday that the Bowers Civic Center in Port Arthur was inundated overnight due to overwhelming rainfall and a nearby overflowing canal. McLellan says it’s not clear where the evacuees will go. Some have been at the civic center since Monday.

:dead: Yet f'king again at some of these minion pundits praising and impressed with his 'performance' today. lmao Just like when Van Jones said in February this is when he became president etc...Gimme fucking break. He simply showed up and did the bare minimum of what a president is supposed to do! :doh:All he 'did' were photo ops basically.Yet, WHO doesn't get it by now- ALL about himself. A day or moment of apparent sanity and that gets the media and others tingly. Tick tock until he goes off the rails again with his crazed Donny dementia. He simply did this knowing he'd be all over every channel, get some good/favorable publicity by pasty white sheeple (90% Trump country anyway) worshiping/welcoming him etc.... Just another campaign rally! Christ. The attention span and dumb down-ness of the US public is horrifying. 

5 hours ago, Hector said:

omfg and this god, grits and gravy Chick Fil A guzzling cutie is only 35! :blink:Imagine..just try to imagine when she's 45 (if it even takes that long)! Kathy Bates in Misery x200 worse/scarier. Just talking Annie Wilkes NO shade at all towards Queen Kathy

Guest ditaluver
On 8/30/2017 at 11:57 AM, todsmod said:

@ditaluver  Hope your parents are still ok.  I know they said the water was still rising as of last night.  It will definitely be a long and daunting task repairing the damage Harvey left behind.  

thank you so much. yes they are both fine. volunteering at local places to help those in need. that's what we all need to do. spread the love! 

Just now, ditaluver said:

i hope you've all donated! It will really help people! 

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053

its a terrible situation over there!!!! 

the thing is that...all the help should be paid using the taxes!!!! that´s why I pay taxes!!! to help people with their health, safety, studies, retirements...I really can´t understand why the most powerful ciuntry in the world has this situations as if it was the third world

On 2017/8/29 at 2:02 AM, ditaluver said:

I´m so sorry to hear that, I really hope everything goes well and they are safe!!

Just read an article about price-gouging going on around Houston and other areas in Texas.  $20 for a gallon of gas, $99 for a case of water.?  This is just as bad a looting, IMO.  A crew from a news outlet stayed at a Best Western Hotel and got charged $300-something dollars a night, when it's normally $120!!  This behavior is disgusting and immoral!!!  How can someone take advantage of others in a time of need is beyond me.  Humanity if fucked!!!!! 

I'll try and link the article (if I can).