MadonnaNation.com Forums
Shane

Does Anyone Still Buy CDs

I don't, but I hate how low quality some of the iTunes files are. 

I just recently started streaming with Apple Music but I still have an issue with quality, but on the other side I really prefer a minimalist approach to buying and storing things. 

I don't even own a device to play CDs anymore. 

Bought Rebel Heart Super Deluxe only for that nice artwork. 

I never really bought CDs when they were huge.  It takes alot for me to really like an artist enough to buy an entire album by them.  Has been that way my whole life.  That being said yes if I like someone enough I buy their CD.  I will always buy Madonna's physical albums and the last two CDs I bought were Linkin Park and Lana.  Will probably be the last two I buy for a looooong time though since no one on my radar coming up I give a crap about. 

I'm just not made for this digital era in general.  My movie collection is nuts but I still have to buy them.. people are like but Netflix and blah blah blah.  

Even took the leap into buying digital books.  Bought a few and was like this sucks.  I like holding a damn book!  So I went back to buying them. Lol

I only listen to music digitally, usually for free on Spotify, so very rarely buy an actual CD.  Only for an artist I like who I know needs the sales.

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Skin said:

I'm just not made for this digital era in general.  My movie collection is nuts but I still have to buy them.. people are like but Netflix and blah blah blah.  

Even took the leap into buying digital books.  Bought a few and was like this sucks.  I like holding a damn book!  So I went back to buying them. Lol

Like most folks, I do read some books on my ipad, but holding a book just feels so much more concrete & special.

I'm glad  that I'm not only with this issue. Haha

42 minutes ago, Nick said:

Like most folks, I do read some books on my ipad, but holding a book just feels so much more concrete & special.

I'm glad  that I'm not only with this issue. Haha

For me reading is a way to relax and disconnect from the noise of technology and social media and life in general.  Reading a book off a screen makes me feel like I am still connected into that noise. 

I only buy a physical copy if its important to me.  Im more into buying vinyl now. But always any new Madonna release. 

Geesh, I've got boxes upon boxes of 8-tracks, cassettes, CD's, vinyl.....not that I listen to alot of them anymore.  But they ain't going anywhere, which is what I like.  I had thousands of mp3's on my computer.  Only for my hard drive to crash and I lost alot of stuff (some I thankfully had on cd's, external hard drive, jump drives).   I remember in the late 80's/90's being subscribed to.....damn.....can't remember the name!!  But it was a "club" you joined and you got a new cassette/cd like every week (return or keep).  I remember getting "The Sounds Of The Seventies".  After I got one from every year (70-79) and thinking I had them all, I started getting other 70's cd's (one hit wonders, hard rock, soft rock, punk, new wave...etc)!!  After about 100 cd's, I said F this....and cancelled....after several hundred cassettes & cd's.  

I do miss going to the record stores and searching for stuff.  It's a pity they're getting harder and harder to find.  There's just nothing like finding and holding a physical copy of something you've always wanted.  

Now I usually download/purchase what I like and make my own cd's/playlists....or pull from my collection and make mp3's or cd's that I can use on whatever device I'm using at the time or location.  There's just not much "classic/timeless" music these days.  It's all so forgettable.  But it also seems everything in these times is disposable and forgettable (with the exception of MADONNA)!!!

Sorry.  Didn't mean to write an essay!  But I do miss the excitement of a new release and rushing to an actual store to purchase a physical copy.  Like @Skin said, be it music, books, artwork.....it's satisfying to have and to hold the actual thing.  I must be getting old!!!  :old:

12 minutes ago, todsmod said:

Geesh, I've got boxes upon boxes of 8-tracks, cassettes, CD's, vinyl.....not that I listen to alot of them anymore.  But they ain't going anywhere, which is what I like.  I had thousands of mp3's on my computer.  Only for my hard drive to crash and I lost alot of stuff (some I thankfully had on cd's, external hard drive, jump drives).   I remember in the late 80's/90's being subscribed to.....damn.....can't remember the name!!  But it was a "club" you joined and you got a new cassette/cd like every week (return or keep).  I remember getting "The Sounds Of The Seventies".  After I got one from every year (70-79) and thinking I had them all, I started getting other 70's cd's (one hit wonders, hard rock, soft rock, punk, new wave...etc)!!  After about 100 cd's, I said F this....and cancelled....after several hundred cassettes & cd's.  

I do miss going to the record stores and searching for stuff.  It's a pity they're getting harder and harder to find.  There's just nothing like finding and holding a physical copy of something you've always wanted.  

Now I usually download/purchase what I like and make my own cd's/playlists....or pull from my collection and make mp3's or cd's that I can use on whatever device I'm using at the time or location.  There's just not much "classic/timeless" music these days.  It's all so forgettable.  But it also seems everything in these times is disposable and forgettable (with the exception of MADONNA)!!!

Sorry.  Didn't mean to write an essay!  But I do miss the excitement of a new release and rushing to an actual store to purchase a physical copy.  Like @Skin said, be it music, books, artwork.....it's satisfying to have and to hold the actual thing.  I must be getting old!!!  :old:

Columbia House

5 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Columbia House

Thank you!!  I knew it started with a "C", but wouldn't come to mind!!

37 minutes ago, todsmod said:

Well thankfully it hasn't much to do with age but with the fact that you are more of a collector person - I guess. It's just a question of personal preference. 

Im just the opposite, I looove to get rid of stuff and throw things out. It's like opening a window and letting fresh air in for me. But I do agree about books. It's hard to give up on books, especially the ones you really liked. And yes, I prefer a real physical book over the digital version. 

Just now, Lolo said:

Well thankfully it hasn't much to do with age but with the fact that you are more of a collector person - I guess. It's just a question of personal preference. 

Im just the opposite, I looove to get rid of stuff and throw things out. It's like opening a window and letting fresh air in for me. But I do agree about books. It's hard to give up on books, especially the ones you really liked. And yes, I prefer a real physical book over the digital version. 

Funny you say that!  I'm always bitching at my partner to get rid of stuff (he loves collecting antiques and I call him a hoarder)!  But don't touch MY stuff!!!  So we're trying to find a "comfort zone" to where we can both get rid of and de-clutter the house.  A daunting task!!!!!

Books....are you ever going to read it again?  Probably not.  But don't throw it!!!  :dazed:

God no. It's clutter and expensive. 

When I go to someone's house I enjoy going through their CD rack to see why they have, and then discussing the albums.

9 hours ago, todsmod said:

Funny you say that!  I'm always bitching at my partner to get rid of stuff (he loves collecting antiques and I call him a hoarder)!  But don't touch MY stuff!!!  So we're trying to find a "comfort zone" to where we can both get rid of and de-clutter the house.  A daunting task!!!!!

Books....are you ever going to read it again?  Probably not.  But don't throw it!!!  :dazed:

this is so difficult!!!!!!!!! I can¬īt get rid off a lot of things!!! I¬īm buying boxes to have everything there but...if I live 20 more years I will die between cds and books!

The last cd I bought was Annie Lennox's Songs Of Mass Destruction in 2007. So it's been 10 years. 

God, I have well over a thousand of them. Books and books FILLED 

It's incredible I didn't crash my car fiddling through them, trying to charge cd's while driving when I was younger. That was just as much of a hazard as texting is today. 

Vinyl or digital for me. 

Only Madonna and Selena Gomez's.

mostly new reissued / remastered / expanded editions

just recently bought within last month..... 

Sam Fox Box ; Purple Rain (Deluxe) ; Expose "What You Don't Know" (Deluxe) ; Elvis Presley RCA Albums Collection (60 CDs) ; Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" (Deluxe 2 CD)

needless to say....I've got a lost of listening to do!

Yes, like 5 or something per year.

But this year I started to buy vinyls instead of CDs. 

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM, tasteinmen said:

When I go to someone's house I enjoy going through their CD rack to see why they have, and then discussing the albums.

When I'm in someone's place,  I enjoy going through people's cd & book shelves as well. Sometimes you discover what awful taste they have in music & books.:chuckle::chuckle:

13 hours ago, Nick said:

When I'm in someone's place,  I enjoy going through people's cd & book shelves as well. Sometimes you discover what awful taste they have in music & books.:chuckle::chuckle:

Oh I've seen some awful stuff that has made me want to leave ha!