MadonnaNation.com Forums
Mmmmm

Rebel Heart Tour DVD/Blu-ray

1 hour ago, cailohfornia said:

I am so sorry about that! You're right. It is frustrating how M and her management won't release all her music videos, movies, and ESPECIALLY TOUR CONCERTS in remastered HD quality, on all markets for the whole world to enjoy and have possession of! This would only ensure her longevity and would be great self-preservation on her part and preservation of her amazing work. Ugh. And yes Who's That Girl Tour has to be released on bluray (my fave tour!)

Was Who's that girl tour shot on film? Can it be released on blu ray if it was taped like bat japan/nice and GS?

43 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Was Who's that girl tour shot on film? Can it be released on blu ray if it was taped like bat japan/nice and GS?

It can always be released as a standard definition bluray. Won't be true HD but will have a higher bitrate than the DVD as it doesn't have a 4.5 - 9GB size limit for the video files.

Guest cailohfornia
36 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Very good question. You got me thinking.

I'm not sure what medium or format video was "stored" in the 1980s or 1990s nor am I familiar with "film" altogether but I did some research right now and found out that studio cameras "usually with pneumatic or hydraulic mechanisms called pedestals to adjust the height, and are usually on wheels" were probably used for the filming of Madonna's classic concerts pre-Confessions Tour or even pre-Reinvention Tour. These cameras are mounted on dollies or cranes so they can be moved around on many angles. In WTG and GS, you can see these cameras on some shots during the concert. In the 1980s and 1990s, it was pretty much the analog age so I would imagine Madonna's concerts from 1987 to 2001 were stored in "tapes." 

Also, "in 1986 Sony introduced the first digital video format, D1. Video was recorded in uncompressed form and required enormous bandwidth for its time." So based on that, during the Who's That Girl Tour in 1987, they could have been filmed in digital video (which I would believe with the Tokyo show for its amazing picture quality and superior sound.) Otherwise the Turin show and broadcast would have been just been stored in whichever they used to store "live footage" in 1987 aka "tapes" (?) -- not sure if they did that in analog format or in digital format.

Ugh I wish I could actually knew the technicalities of Madonna's concert filmings but I WILL do more research now on film and video.

Guest cailohfornia
10 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

It can always be released as a standard definition bluray. Won't be true HD but will have a higher bitrate than the DVD as it doesn't have a 4.5 - 9GB size limit for the video files.

Yup, totally agree! 

This makes me sad because it seems like TV shows or concerts in the 1980s and 1990s that were shot with TV studio cameras (in 60fps, shows like Roseanne or Family Ties; Madonna's WTG/BAT/GS concerts) can never really be remastered in HD.

However, it seems like those shot in FILM (the Truth or Dare Paris show) can definitely be remastered in HD hence the bluray release of ToD in 2012. This means that the Virgin Tour could actually be released on bluray pretty nicely because, unlike WTG/BAT/GS, it was shot in film it seems (I assumed because of some graininess, and is not 60fps.)

The old-school 'classic' style of editing is over. OVER. Never gonna happen again. The sooner one accepts that, the less we have to keep beating a dead horse, and the happier we'll all be.

2 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

The old-school 'classic' style of editing is over. OVER. Never gonna happen again. The sooner one accepts that, the less we have to keep beating a dead horse, and the happier we'll all be.

Exactly. Fans now are able to film much higher quality bootleg footage than they used to be able to. And it's all widely shared online. We were periscoping live nearly every single show on the RHT. If I'm in charge of the professional home video release I'm going to release an edited, highly stylized product with lots of bells and whistles which doesn't look like the tons of fan bootlegs online. 

1 minute ago, Hector said:

:rotfl: at the Rebel Heart Tour DVD/Bluray pop up ads on Grindr 

OMG LOL

Compare this to the Lisbon unedited pro shot. So much more lively and dynamic. :queenbitch:

I need those fully edited and slightly filtered DWT and RIT films in my life.  :headbang:

Guest cailohfornia
1 hour ago, loowee said:

Compare this to the Lisbon unedited pro shot. So much more lively and dynamic. :queenbitch:

I need those fully edited and slightly filtered DWT and RIT films in my life.  :headbang:

Just to be fair (as a 24 year old who LOVES the "old school" Madonna concert dvds)...

I do appreciate and even like this kind of editing done on the RIT performances chosen to be included in I'm Going To Tell You A Secret. I truly do. The effects/editing for my liking were still VERY minimal and the closeups/camera angles actually look amazing (Like A Prayer, Mother & Father) and not to mention the vocals were really highlighted on the documentary performances. I believe RIT is one of the tours she has great vocals on. So yeah I need those fully edited and slightly filtered DWT and RIT films in my life too! 

Edited by cailohfornia

Guest cailohfornia
4 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

It may be OVER for Madonna's aesthetic taste, true (I've known this since IGTTYAS & Confessions Tour) but it is not yet "over" in the music world/live concert video realm. 

The kind of editing I am talking about are those seen in 

• Kylie: Aphrodite Tour dvd/bluray (gorgeous concert video tbh)
  • Lady Gaga: Monster Ball Tour dvd/bluray
  • Adele Live At The Royal Albert Hall dvd/bluray
  • P!nk The Truth About Love Tour dvd/bluray
  • Katy Perry Prismatic Tour dvd/bluray

These are just few examples of RECENT concert video releases that still utilized the "old school" minimal, steady, multicamera with live sound kind of editing. AND they all just use one or two filmed shows from their respective tours just like how WTG/BAT/GS/DWT dvds were.They may or may not have been post-edited but if they were, they're barely recognizable and it doesn't distract. They are all definitely not the same as the CT, S&ST, MDNA Tour releases. 

I'm somewhere in the middle with this. I think CT and S&S had the perfect amount of editing, while MDNA and RHT have way too much. 

6 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

This right here

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, LVX said:

I'm somewhere in the middle with this. I think CT and S&S had the perfect amount of editing, while MDNA and RHT have way too much. 

RHT has a lot less of that than MDNA

Guest cailohfornia
28 minutes ago, LVX said:

Yas gawd.

Related image

Related image