MadonnaNation.com Forums
Ugly Hecty

Pitchfork reviews 4 classic M albums for her birthday

Suedehead    0
7 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Oh. They like her now? Thank but no thanks. Fucking hipster assholes can fuck off! 

Owen pallett is an indie artist who confessed his love for Madonna and calls himself a fan.He must be on the other score....

Suedehead    0
1 minute ago, Roland Barthes said:

Owen pallett is an indie artist who confessed his love for Madonna and calls himself a fan.He must be on the other score....

Oh, okay then, fair enough. But I'd have included Confessions in there instead of Bedtime Stories or I'd have given it more than the score he did. 

Kim    0
7 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

Oh, okay then, fair enough. But I'd have included Confessions in there instead of Bedtime Stories or I'd have given it more than the score he did. 

I think the point is that he's a "fan" who's anything but :bad:. Who the hell has Take a Bow as their favourite Madonna song? Dreadful. Anyway, these reviews by blogging 'journos' are about as noteworthy as some random Amazon review. Pointless.

Suedehead    0
3 minutes ago, Kim said:

I think the point is that he's a "fan" who's anything but :bad:. Who the hell has Take a Bow as their favourite Madonna song? Dreadful. Anyway, these reviews by blogging 'journos' are about as noteworthy as some random Amazon review. Pointless.

Worst :lmao:

LSD    0

Their scores are done via committee and then they choose a writer whose personal view is closest to the consensus for a particular album.  

32 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

I meant the othetshore (stupide telephone). Madonna must be the only artist whose fans are more critical of her than professional critics.

Kennedy    0
43 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

Finally I learned how to quote lol

They already did one for Confessions (score 6.2): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5030-confessions-on-a-dance-floor/

And in one of those new reviews they called Erotica one of her masterpieces, so why didn't they review it instead of BS? It makes no sense. They probably didn't want to give 4 "good" reviews in her birthday, I suppose LOL

dollhouse    0

BS is her TOP5 albums and WILDLY LOVED By GP too..

AND BS the song is one of her best, tbh. There are multiple reviews which praise this song.

rocknrolla    0
2 hours ago, micco said:

Have read the reviews of Like a prayer and Ray of light and I felt they we're in-depth and very praising of everything from the arrangements, production, vocals and lyrics. Highly praising in my view. This was one of the points that stuck with me:

"“Mer Girl,” which closes the album, is a tender psalm about the death of her mom. It ends the album on a remarkably reflective and unresolved note, while also pointing to the reason Madonna has needed to be so many different people across her life to begin with: “I ran and I ran,” she sings. “I’m still running away.”"

I haven't read them all, but a 8 or 9 is a really good score, for Pitchfork and Madonna, isn't it?

Icykiller    0

They also have a very cool article about Madonna's most defining characteristics based on her songs (how to get Madonna, is called).  I loved it,  honestly made me a proud fan of one of te most prolific and consistent (at evolving!)  artists ever.  

humanracin    0

The review of Madonna's debut album got me excited but c'mon Bedtime Stories is a fan favourite!

For me It's one of her best albums even with it's little flaws.

And how could anyone rate Ray Of Light lower than her Debut ?! 

Then they did this:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/6-sides-of-madonna-that-explain-her-genius-listening-guide/

rocknrolla    0
38 minutes ago, humanracin said:

The review of Madonna's debut album got me excited but c'mon Bedtime Stories is a fan favourite!

For me It's one of her best albums even with it's little flaws.

And how could anyone rate Ray Of Light lower than her Debut ?! 

Then they did this:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/6-sides-of-madonna-that-explain-her-genius-listening-guide/

That is a very high score for her debut, higher than what was given at the time or even now. 

vocalism    0

It does seem random to pick BS if it's so "inessential" and ignore TB, Erotica, and COADF. Even Music. Owen Pallett is entitled to thinking BS is inessential (many do), but his reasoning is flawed. And his taste is questionable if he doesn't respond to some of those clearly very personal songs.

The LAP review is great though (haven't read the others and not sure if i will). But fuck Pitchfork. They're 20 years late to the game, refused to review M or acknowledge her in any of their 80s or 90s lists. They're a bunch of hipsters who have their head up their ass about pop music. 

Oh and their rating for ROL is perfectly fine. It's a great album but Erotica and LAP are better. Even Music is as good and doesn't get as much love.

Shane    0

To be honest, I was floored to see them honor her with four reviews.  I agree that their hipster attitude can be annoying, but based on the way they score albums, they are basically saying they think Madonna, Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are masterpieces.  An 8 for them is amazing, and a 9 is exceptional.  And even a 6.2 or whatever is pretty good for them.

The reviews for Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are really well written.

That having been said, they are still one of the all time most annoying music review sites.

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

To be honest, I was floored to see them honor her with four reviews.  I agree that their hipster attitude can be annoying, but based on the way they score albums, they are basically saying they think Madonna, Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are masterpieces.  An 8 for them is amazing, and a 9 is exceptional.  And even a 6.2 or whatever is pretty good for them.

The reviews for Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are really well written.

That having been said, they are still one of the all time most annoying music review sites.

+1 and also maybe because of this Madonna Pitchfork Day (they just  re-posted her 2015 interview with them) some hipster millennial will discover The Queen. 

I'd love to read their take on Erotica and Music and American Life too.

Edited by cosmic_system

Nick    0

Appreciate any coverage of Madonna tbh, however the BS review was a bit unkind.

Still one of my all time favorites & the videos are fantastic!  

ROL should at least have a 9 (lemonade had 8.5 ffs)

LAP review is accurate in my opinion and i'm not mad at the review of the first album either really 

but bedtime stories really? it should  be MINIMUM 7.5

Bedtimes stories has so many beautiful deep cuts and some of her finest songwriting and they focused on fucking human nature and take a bow lol

also what was the point of mentioning Erotica as her masterpiece and not being assed with reviewing it ??

VogueMusic    0
8 hours ago, XXL said:

Precisely

Perfectly said

Rather transparent wouldn't you say

What is the other one that starts with an S we've had a thread about a few weeks ago?

And don't get me started on the cultural appropriation bullshit. Culture should be heritage of everyone and accessible to everyone especially if accessed with intelligence and sensibility or a celebratory undertone. Exactly because the idea is to reach a point of unconditional acceptance and living as a whole.

We have all this technology available but emotionally and culturally we are being made to regress to a state of entrenchedness and self imposed barriers, generalizations and separation. Not to mention a utterly fake espousal of compassion

The hipster know it all SWJ lite intellectuals are the worst. Curiously their arrival coincided with the failed explosion and relevance of you-know- who and accompanying trite and pretentious V columns

https://media.tenor.co/images/98fcea9f9a9e0f629e3a44ec5efee867/raw

Jazzy Jan    0

It is always the same.  The back handed compliments, the put downs and the down playing of her in general.   Plus so many bloggers etc who love to claim they are "fans"  of Madonna but it is more than obvious that they either can't stand her or are like the rampant ex fans that never can stop talking about her in blogs, forums etc while wringing their hands about once liking her. 

micco    0
15 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

It is always the same.  The back handed compliments, the put downs and the down playing of her in general.   Plus so many bloggers etc who love to claim they are "fans"  of Madonna but it is more than obvious that they either can't stand her or are like the rampant ex fans that never can stop talking about her in blogs, forums etc while wringing their hands about once liking her. 

I don't see what you see. From what I've read of their four album reviews ev has been mostly praise. But they are reviewers and therefore the chance of critique of some of her work is of course there. 

vocalism    0
18 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I disagree with the BS review, but the writer (Owen Pallett) is not a critic, he's a musician and I'm guessing this is a guest post. He's said he's a fan and posted about the backlash to the review on Facebook. But generally, yes fuck Pitchfork.

rocknrolla    0

I felt many of the same things about Bedtimes Stories.  I completely agree about some of the points:  Secret IS repetitive, Take a Bow is one of Babyface's best songs and possibly the only track which can hold it's own as one of the best R and B songs of the 90s, Bjork's work with Nellee was probably at least more interesting, I did feel underwhelmed by this album, at least at first.

The album does have some "filler":  there's really no reason to listen to Don't Stop or I'd Rather Be Your Lover, for me.  I would say a score of 7 would have been completely fair, not so far from a 6.5.  It's more the harsh words towards the end and calling it non-essential that has fired people up, I think.

How can a real fan not like sanctuary or love tried to welcome me, though??  I could understand  a casual fan not really feeling this album.  But as a fan, I feel it is essential.  Just because it was damage control, doesn't mean it was not good (Joanne).