White nationalists marching in Charlottesville

Camacho

43 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Exactly. There's a big amount of bigots and supremacits, misogynists, homophobes...  They only need to be validated to feel strong enough and parade, march and even push further and try to win elections. 

Facebook is just a showcase of these people, but there are much more hidden, too ashamed to verbalize their believes, until some Trump or some UKip or some LePenn comes and release the beast.  

So true.  Political leaders and movements give these people validation and acceptance.  

28 minutes ago, Hector said:

This is how neo-Nazi website the Daily Stormer characterizes Trump's remarks.

IMG_3487

Sickening.  What they are saying is true though. He has not condemned them. They have new life and validation due to that revolting orange buffoon and his toxic disgusting views and behaviour.  

Guest eroticerotic
3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Social media can be toxic but I don't put the blame on it.  There was no social media around with the rise of Hitler.  

Very good point. It's definitely not social media perse, but people's mentality. Social media - media in general- just helps carry that condition faster and further.

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Social media can be toxic but I don't put the blame on it.  There was no social media around with the rise of Hitler.  

So true. It always is easy to blame the social medias or network, but how about the traditional media ? Dont they support or give subliminal messages to the people about a certain case ?

As I mentioned before, its good those people go out and demonstrate. The government can identify them and observe. Of course that other incident with the car is horrible. Should not happen.

I am curious how far this will go and what will happen. President will take a long weekend vacation next week to play golf, since he skipped it this week :p

Social media spread that message like wild fire because its direct and very in your face, unlike "subliminal" traditional media. The message is there for anyone to see and spread, much quicker and effective than any traditional media ever been. Ultimately its social media that enables politicians like Trump and Le Pen gain ground and validates these ideologies once they are officialy in power.

In France we have an expression for this kind of men : babtous fragiles.  Babtous is an african word that means whitey (and fragile, well you got it). We use the expression whenever these white supremacists cry about their culture supposedly disapearing and they can't handle it.

I truly believe this is not the beginning but the end even for Trump, him being president is like the bouquet final of years of white privileges because no matter how vocal these men are, the march of the world is not going their way that's why they are getting more and more vocal. Sadly it will take another generation or two to see these privileges going away. They may have the money and power but we are outnumbering them.

Meanwhile today was just another day in good ol' USA

40 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Social media spread that message like wild fire because its direct and very in your face, unlike "subliminal" traditional media. The message is there for anyone to see and spread, much quicker and effective than any traditional media ever been. Ultimately its social media that enables politicians like Trump and Le Pen gain ground and validates these ideologies once they are officialy in power.

How then do you explain the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot etc gaining power and all other dictators and fascists from past eras ?  Social media can also be used for good to expose these leaders and their supporters.  

29 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

In France we have an expression for this kind of men : babtous fragiles.  Babtous is an african word that means whitey (and fragile, well you got it). We use the expression whenever these white supremacists cry about their culture supposedly disapearing and they can't handle it.

I truly believe this is not the beginning but the end even for Trump, him being president is like the bouquet final of years of white privileges because no matter how vocal these men are, the march of the world is not going their way that's why they are getting more and more vocal. Sadly it will take another generation or two to see these privileges going away. They may have the money and power but we are outnumbering them.

Meanwhile today was just another day in good ol' USA

How many videos do people need ? Time after time we see videos from America of unarmed black people getting shot, bashed and assaulted by police and it just continues.  Those police officers should be sacked and charged.  Disgusting in every way.  

1 hour ago, MadFan said:

DHCsSnkXsAIwf9N.jpg

:megamanson:

This would be grounds for imprisonment in Germany.

well, the reality is different that the theory.

Its forbidden in germany in any kind of way, wearing, saluting or expressing yourself.

But you will not get imprisoned. Much more, you get fined to pay money and thats it. But mostly and thats for sure, you gonna loose your job if someone reports your ideology to your employer.

Our country is fucking ridiculous.  I have no idea why anyone who lives here is even remotely shocked that this is happening.

We have a great habit of forgetting/denying our history and until we own our shit this crap is going to continue to occur.

49 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

How then do you explain the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot etc gaining power and all other dictators and fascists from past eras ?  Social media can also be used for good to expose these leaders and their supporters.  

Hitler used the dire situation of Germany in the 20's pos-WWI to pose as a savior of the german people and Stalin gained power by brute force riding from a revolutionary punch. The extremism of left and right was a direct side effect of WWI and it spreaded across many european nations at that time. Sometimes people seems to forget how truly life changing that war was and we still feel effects even today. Now with social media anyone can spread extremism without necessarily be grounded on real facts, you simply don't need a world war anymore to make society feels "threatened", you can just invent it and stupid people will dig it up and repeat to more stupid people till whatever extreme idea becomes acceptable.

44 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Hitler used the dire situation of Germany in the 20's pos-WWI to pose as a savior of the german people and Stalin gained power by brute force riding from a revolutionary punch. The extremism of left and right was a direct side effect of WWI and it spreaded across many european nations at that time. Sometimes people seems to forget how truly life changing that war was and we still feel effects even today. Now with social media anyone can spread extremism without necessarily be grounded on real facts, you simply don't need a world war anymore to make society feels "threatened", you can just invent it and stupid people will dig it up and repeat to more stupid people till whatever extreme idea becomes acceptable.

This is an interesting discussion.  I think there are parallels of Trump getting in with people feeling left out and abandoned and foolishly thinking they would give Trump a go as wanting something different.  I don't believe that everyone that voted for Trump is racist, sexist and uncaring.  I know so many are but definitely not all.  Listening to the likes of Michael Moore who said from the word go that so many people in Michigan felt so angry about how their state had been neglected that they were willing to overlook the warning signs of Trump and hoped he would offer a change.  He warned from the word go that he thought Trump would get in through listening to the views of the neglected people in his state.  

I actually think that social media has exposed Trump more and more for what he is.  A lot of people that wanted change because they felt neglected are now fully aware of what Trump is about and regret ever voting for him.  Of course the racist, horrible scum that love him will always have him as a hero, but social media is also exposing him and them as well.  His redneck crazy racist supporters will always support him but others have seen through him.  The people that blindly support him on social media,  would be supporting him anyway.  

It is Trump himself having that power that has given these racist pond scum the right to proudly shout their disgusting views openly.   Not social media. 

Guest eroticerotic
1 hour ago, Hector said:

More and more these racist pigs are being identified online. Trump emboldened them and they don't bother hiding behind hoods anymore.

look how distorted his facial expressions are and also his eyes are barely open or look like they are even looking at what is in front of them, they look somewhere else...he has no idea who he is. 

there are soon many people like this though. yikes.

7 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This is an interesting discussion.  I think there are parallels of Trump getting in with people feeling left out and abandoned and foolishly thinking they would give Trump a go as wanting something different.  I don't believe that everyone that voted for Trump is racist, sexist and uncaring.  I know so many are but definitely not all.  Listening to the likes of Michael Moore who said from the word go that so many people in Michigan felt so angry about how their state had been neglected that they were willing to overlook the warning signs of Trump and hoped he would offer a change.  He warned from the word go that he thought Trump would get in through listening to the views of the neglected people in his state.  

I actually think that social media has exposed Trump more and more for what he is.  A lot of people that wanted change because they felt neglected are now fully aware of what Trump is about and regret ever voting for him.  Of course the racist, horrible scum that love him will always have him as a hero, but social media is also exposing him and them as well.  His redneck crazy racist supporters will always support him but others have seen through him.  The people that blindly support him on social media,  would be supporting him anyway.  

It is Trump himself having that power that has given these racist pond scum the right to proudly shout their disgusting views openly.   Not social media. 

Exactly. Exactly! Social media is what is saving us from being treated like imbeciles and being lied on our faces every day. Those of us who work in media know who biased can be the information given. Especially in Spain now, when the situation is literally unbearable (unemployment + corruption) and yet mainstream media is speaking about Venezuela all day and portraing any left idea as "radicalism". 

Just an example of what happened to me this past weekend. As some people know, when I have to work on the weekends I am in charge of the International section. Being a regional newspaper, we don't have correspondents: we rely on press agencies. 

Well, on Saturday the big news where Trump meneacing into using the army to go to Venezuela. WTF? That's simply illegal, as any army force entering an independent country has to be approved by the UNO. Well, I had the page written, with Venezuela's reponse to this uncalleda ttack, taking paragraphs from here and that, and in the evening the person in charge told me "We are not supporting dictator Maduro! What is this? Change this and make it look better for Trump". 

Resultado de imagen de what? gif

Of course I did it because, frankly, I don't give a damn about that section at all and my name was not in the piece. And I was too busy trying to write that page about what was happening in Charlottesville. 

Well, on Sunday, I open the paper and all references to Trump in the Charlottesville piece had been deleted after I had gone home. And then, yesterday in the evening, the person in charge came to me again to tell me "You cannot put in as the main news that Trump is getting shit from not condemning white supremacy. Turn the page around, jus tell that people in USA are so sad, blah, blah, blah, and hide the Trump reference". 

I was STUNNED. Because frankly, after you inform about what happened in Virginia, it was TRUMP AND THE BACKLASH WHAT WAS THE NEWS!!!! 

Well, I wouldn't be worried if all major newspapers today had made a page exactly like mine. "Sad and consternation in Virginia after..." and Trump's behaviour is hidden into small pieces attached. 

Imagen relacionada

Something is happening here, guys... At least in Spain. Whatch out your media in your own countries because this is going to turn around. 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Exactly. Exactly! Social media is what is saving us from being treated like imbeciles and being lied on our faces every day. Those of us who work in media know who biased can be the information given. Especially in Spain now, when the situation is literally unbearable (unemployment + corruption) and yet mainstream media is speaking about Venezuela all day and portraing any left idea as "radicalism". 

Just an example of what happened to me this past weekend. As some people know, when I have to work on the weekends I am in charge of the International section. Being a regional newspaper, we don't have correspondents: we rely on press agencies. 

Well, on Saturday the big news where Trump meneacing into using the army to go to Venezuela. WTF? That's simply illegal, as any army force entering an independent country has to be approved by the UNO. Well, I had the page written, with Venezuela's reponse to this uncalleda ttack, taking paragraphs from here and that, and in the evening the person in charge told me "We are not supporting dictator Maduro! What is this? Change this and make it look better for Trump". 

Resultado de imagen de what? gif

Of course I did it because, frankly, I don't give a damn about that section at all and my name was not in the piece. And I was too busy trying to write that page about what was happening in Charlottesville. 

Well, on Sunday, I open the paper and all references to Trump in the Charlottesville piece had been deleted after I had gone home. And then, yesterday in the evening, the person in charge came to me again to tell me "You cannot put in as the main news that Trump is getting shit from not condemning white supremacy. Turn the page around, jus tell that people in USA are so sad, blah, blah, blah, and hide the Trump reference". 

I was STUNNED. Because frankly, after you inform about what happened in Virginia, it was TRUMP AND THE BACKLASH WHAT WAS THE NEWS!!!! 

Well, I wouldn't be worried if all major newspapers today had made a page exactly like mine. "Sad and consternation in Virginia after..." and Trump's behaviour is hidden into small pieces attached. 

Imagen relacionada

Something is happening here, guys... At least in Spain. Whatch out your media in your own countries because this is going to turn around. 

Karbatal, That is so annoying for you as a journalist and for people in general.  I have noticed that so much of the media is completely on the side of right wing conservatives and do not call out Trump that much.  Our own main paper ( owned by Rupert Murdoch )  is pro Trump,  anti anything remotely leaning to the left and is actively campaigning against people wanting same sex marriage. - We are having a postal vote and then the parliament will vote on it.  

They are completely defending the religious people against it and even have their conservative writers telling people to vote no to shut up the "bullies" who want equality. It is outrageous.   Why we need social media to counter act this.  We can hear different viewpoints.   I am finding too that "freedom of speech"  is now being used by people that want to take away everyone's rights - ie racists, white supremacists, religious fanatics etc.  Plus with the new trend of calling everything "fake news"  like Trump is encouraging his supporters to,  we need the opposite views to be published and seen.   There will be too many defending the white nationals marching and trying to take the viewpoint of shifting the blame onto people protesting against them.   Disgusting that in this day and age,  Neo-Nazis are proud to have their views out there.  Why we need people to stand up against them on social media. 

9 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Karbatal, That is so annoying for you as a journalist and for people in general.  I have noticed that so much of the media is completely on the side of right wing conservatives and do not call out Trump that much.  Our own main paper ( owned by Rupert Murdoch )  is pro Trump,  anti anything remotely leaning to the left and is actively campaigning against people wanting same sex marriage. - We are having a postal vote and then the parliament will vote on it.  

They are completely defending the religious people against it and even have their conservative writers telling people to vote no to shut up the "bullies" who want equality. It is outrageous.   Why we need social media to counter act this.  We can hear different viewpoints.   I am finding too that "freedom of speech"  is now being used by people that want to take away everyone's rights - ie racists, white supremacists, religious fanatics etc.  Plus with the new trend of calling everything "fake news"  like Trump is encouraging his supporters to,  we need the opposite views to be published and seen.   There will be too many defending the white nationals marching and trying to take the viewpoint of shifting the blame onto people protesting against them.   Disgusting that in this day and age,  Neo-Nazis are proud to have their views out there.  Why we need people to stand up against them on social media. 

These next years are going to be tricky regarding information. Because they are scared. Those in the power are scared because for the first time in DECADES people are getting information from very different channels. I don't mean blogs or fake pages, I mean serious online newspapers who we know that are rigurous in their information covering but aren't licking so many people's asses. And the counteract is to spread such a level of shit that in the very end will explode and there's going to be mor confrontation everywhere. As I said, any 'left' idea in Spain, like "let's have higher salaries so consumerism rises and more employment is created' is labelled as radical, "communism is back" and things like that. People are against each other more now than 10 years ago.

On the other hand, there's such a saturation of information that we are just on the risk (if we haven't already crossed that line) of being anaesthesied: no amount of shocking revelation will make us blink if we continue this path for the next two or three years. And I don't know if it's scape fo that. 

That's why I am looking for new ways to be a journalist but not be working in media, because I am not sure I can handle it. I am already oversaturated.