MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Do We Give a Shit About Album Sales Anymore?

18 hours ago, lasky said:

She could be big again by joining forces with younger acts... like being a featured artist.... like Rihanna, Justin Bieber... that made them stay "relevant"...  If you count their No. 1s based solely on their own efforts and not being a featuring artist, they would have lesser no. 1s... (e.g. just looked at Mariah Carey...)

This is true but I'd rather she didn't.

I was totally expecting a featured artist on Living for Love but it was her first lead on her own since 2005.

Id rather she didn't bring in featured artists just to have a quick hit, 4 Minutes although a good song just sounds like Timberland/Timberlake some with Madonna latched on and GMAYL wasn't even a great lead, even 2 features couldn't save it.

On 13/08/2017 at 1:41 AM, Pedro said:

I think that If we look at it objectively, when was the last time The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen or other male performers of the stature of Madonna have offered an evolved, updated or different to what their core characteristic sound is? If they are doing their thing like you are saying, it is the exactly same thing they have been doing for the last 30-40 years, music and performance wise and their fans are not ever going to ask for more or something else. What could ever be more gimmicky that resorting to the exact same gimmicks that made you famous in the beginning?

I honestly love my ever evolving Madonna, sometimes ahead or the curb or others not so much. 

I'm happy and proud that Madonna is still compared to the new generations because in my eyes that means that she's still the bar and the reference against which everyone is measured, have you thought that everything that Madonna has done, featurings and all is what has made her the most successful female star ever, or the 3rd most successful musical act? 

I understand that you are making a point about the difference between the male and female music industry but don't reinforce or fall in the common stereotypes these same industries have reinforced on us. 

This.

I still care. I want her to be succesfully in an artistic and commercial way..

16 hours ago, ashtangi74 said:

I still care. I want her to be successful in an artistic and commercial way..

Cosign. Especially artistically.

But there's only so many times Madonna can sell out shows based on her name alone. We started seeing the decline with MDNA and RHT. It's not like she's Michael Jackson where she can sell out 50 shows in a few days (even Drowned World Tour didn't reach this far) but without at least another moderate size hit or album sales, she's going to be selling less and less shows, coupled with her notorious reputation for late starting times and high prices doesn't help either. I just think it's pretty sad when a large portion of the general public don't know she has new music out or is even still singing. I even met a girl who had thought she had retired ages ago! It's more upsetting that she's putting a lot of effort, heart and soul into her albums and it's only us fans that are lapping it up. 

Of course charts and sales count - she's still in the ring. And of course it's possible to make another hit like Hung Up or 4 Minutes happen - because streams and downloads can compensate the boycott of radio stations.

I believe that Aviciis Version of Rebel Heart would have been a massive worldwide hit - in his demo mix version. But she refused it. Maybe because it would have been considered more as an Avicii hit than a Madonna song. So she has to search for the next hit producer.

2 hours ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

I believe that Aviciis Version of Rebel Heart would have been a massive worldwide hit - in his demo mix version. But she refused it. Maybe because it would have been considered more as an Avicii hit than a Madonna song. So she has to search for the next hit producer.

I agree with you about the potential of Aviciis Rebel Heart. I have the feeling that's why she refused it as well but then again 4minutes sounded like a Timberlake/Timberland song with her vocal slapped on.

On 8/13/2017 at 9:45 AM, Shane said:

Yes a few of us still buy cds but do you realize that the practice is considered laughable by most people?

I'm not just talking about paid streaming, which I am a huge fan of.  I tend to buy the cd to support the artist and play it in my car, but stream the album on Spotify to support them in that fashion as well.  However, there are many people who simply don't think they should have to pay for music and in fact refuse to. The idea of the artist being compensated means nothing to them.

This is spot on, Shane (absolutely no pun intended...!).  I'm a high school teacher and I asked four of my classes recently who had bought music recently.  "Why would you pay for music?!" I was asked.  The best they did was use Spotify.  I regularly give out iTunes vouchers as prizes and in recent years, they've basically just used them to buy apps for their phone, rather than music (which is what I intended).  They really don't care whether the artists are missing out or not because "they're rich enough as it is!"  One of my kids very astutely pointed out that "touring is how they make their money these days".  It's sad. 

You know what, I care, because I like to see her records and achievements grow.

She should go more urban and do a ft with ASAP rocky, Ariana, DJ Khaled, Rihanna or whatever. I’d never understand why she has turned down Sia so many times, I’m sure that she had a better song concept than Body shop or SEX.

18 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

But there's only so many times Madonna can sell out shows based on her name alone. We started seeing the decline with MDNA and RHT. It's not like she's Michael Jackson where she can sell out 50 shows in a few days (even Drowned World Tour didn't reach this far) but without at least another moderate size hit or album sales, she's going to be selling less and less shows, coupled with her notorious reputation for late starting times and high prices doesn't help either. I just think it's pretty sad when a large portion of the general public don't know she has new music out or is even still singing. I even met a girl who had thought she had retired ages ago! It's more upsetting that she's putting a lot of effort, heart and soul into her albums and it's only us fans that are lapping it up. 

THIS! SPOT ON!

17 hours ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Of course charts and sales count - she's still in the ring. And of course it's possible to make another hit like Hung Up or 4 Minutes happen - because streams and downloads can compensate the boycott of radio stations.

And THIS!

You two definitely get it!

On ‎12‎.‎8‎.‎2017 at 9:31 PM, Jester said:

Album sales are dead, Katy Perry is selling shoes(katy perry collection.com check it out) and lady gaga sells hats and meet and greet selfies. When record labels don't make enough money from album sales(like 10 years ago) the money comes mostly from merchandise and tours. There are still some people that sell albums like Adele and Taylor Swift, but they are like 1%, not the rule. Beyoncé had a good run with her lemonade, but the whole thing it was more promo for her tour. As for Madonna, we know she can have decent album sales. I still believe she can deliver a hit, it just needs right producers and wise marketing. If you want a hit today you need Spotify power. A song that is promoted on the Today Top Hits(a playlist with tracks that labels pay to put in it when they debut new material) is a tool to make many people listen to it. Katy used Spotify to make CTTR chart to #4 on Hot 100. As for digital sales, I think people will buy the song if its good. The big problem is the radio. Radio stratospheric hits in us(over 100 mill audience impressions) help the song sell on iTunes, because million people get to hear it. Interscope really struggled to promote gaga on the radio and she is like 31 years old. Million reasons was added after superbowl, even though it was released months before. Radio seems to love people like Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber(musicians aged 20-25 years average). It will be a real win if 60 years old Madonna can have a radio hit.

she cant, that ship has sailed.

15 hours ago, Confessit said:

I agree with you about the potential of Aviciis Rebel Heart. I have the feeling that's why she refused it as well but then again 4minutes sounded like a Timberlake/Timberland song with her vocal slapped on.

i think she wanted more organic sound that Avicii..

On 8/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, functions_X said:

that's true, male legends are not often measured against young males, but to be completely honest, they don't chase trends, features, trendy producers etc like women do. Every now and then there is a rare collaboration, but most of the older male stars are doing their thing, not teaming up with Niki, Katy, Diplo or whoever is trendy at the moment. Women sometimes reinforce stereotypes and ageism when they are trying to stay current by collaborating with the hottest new trendy kid. It's really a vicious circle.... but male stars rarely go with gimmicks like that, if you look at it objectively.

Most male legends that I can think of do rock oriented music which does not change as much as dance/electronic music which a lot of the female artists do. Dance and electronic music is always dismissed as following a trend even though Madonna has done it since the beginning of her career. Your point would be more valid if you could compare an older male artist who does electronic music to Madonna and other female artists but there really aren't any.

And male legends have on occasion done collaborations and hired trendy producers but they don't get the same criticism as Madonna. Paul McCartney for example did a song with Rihanna and Kanye  and has worked with trendy producers such as Marc Ronson and Greg Kerstin. 

Edited by Glindathegood

On 8/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, functions_X said:

but I feel you are oversimplifying things... The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce etc are doing nothing new, and collaborations with Niki, LMFAO etc are considered "evolving"? What exactly are these collaborations bringing to the table, artistically? And why is she always collaborating with the hottest new thing who just happens to have a hit on the charts?

I think that Madonna's songs that are closer to her core characteristic sound are much stronger artistically than any of these "young" "hip" collaborations. I think that all of these older acts, male or female, are producing better music when they are sticking to their own style, whether it's Madonna or U2.

But what is Madonna's core characteristic style? Isn't it primarily dance/electronic music mixed in with some R&B? Hasn't she mostly stuck to that albeit with a modern production?  I think those styles of music evolve more than rock so if you are going to continue doing those styles you are going to end up working with what people see as young hip producers and sounds. It's not like Madonna was a rock and acoustic artist and all of a sudden changed to doing electronic and hip hop influenced music. It doesn't make sense to compare her to a rock band like U2. 

5 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

But what is Madonna's core characteristic style? Isn't it primarily dance/electronic music mixed in with some R&B? Hasn't she mostly stuck to that albeit with a modern production?  I think those styles of music evolve more than rock so if you are going to continue doing those styles you are going to end up working with what people see as young hip producers and sounds. It's not like Madonna was a rock and acoustic artist and all of a sudden changed to doing electronic and hip hop influenced music. It doesn't make sense to compare her to a rock band like U2. 

Its def not RnB/hiphop at all, thats one of the reason of her decline. the gays dont like it

But more importantly she used to have a different sound to what was the commerical/trending at the moment, a more refined and unique.

Now it lost that uniqueness