MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Do We Give a Shit About Album Sales Anymore?

I never cared for it wether it's Madonna or other musical acts i love (who probably never had a #1 album or single but are still regarded as great).

horn    0
1 hour ago, sexycunt said:

Yes.

I always want Madonna to be successful.

Rebel Heart was robbed of a #1 spot and should've been her sixth Number One album in a row. :banghead:

THIS !!! :americanlife: 

Martin B.    0

Personally, i do not care since the Hard Candy era. At this point, Madonna had 25 years of dominance on the charts which was unheard of. At 50, it was obvious that the years of success on the charts were behind her since no artist of this age and older is able to sell albums. This reality, combined with the fact that the physical medium slowly agonized, led me to accept that a new part of her career began where sales should no longer count in the factors of appreciation. At that time, my only requirement was that she continue to produce quality albums despite low sales. MDNA made me fear the worst but Rebel Heart reassured me.

BTW, all my life, I listened to artists who never had a gold certification of their career. So the level of sales is not a very important element for me.

I care about album sales, because it´s something that people use against her, to make her look worse, a has been...although we know that nobody is selling as they used to.

and, as somebody has said, I think she needs more a hit

horn    0
6 minutes ago, promise to try said:

I care about album sales, because it´s something that people use against her, to make her look worse, a has been...although we know that nobody is selling as they used to.

and, as somebody has said, I think she needs more a hit

M's impressive album sales (e.g. Guinness World  record) is also something M fans use to mock at other artists.

Didn't we all get upset when she sells lesser than she used to be? I'm one of them.

Thank god we still have touring sales to brag about.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:41 PM, horn said:

Yes, album sales is still relevant. Maybe things get a little complicated in the US but it's still good outside US.

There's nothing wrong about US album sales, it's Billboard fucked up their system take in other shit into consideration.

Dun use "CD is over" as an excuse 'cos Adele had proven CD is not dead.

This.

XXL    0
4 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Personally, i do not care since the Hard Candy era. At this point, Madonna had 25 years of dominance on the charts which was unheard of. At 50, it was obvious that the years of success on the charts were behind her since no artist of this age and older is able to sell albums. This reality, combined with the fact that the physical medium slowly agonized, led me to accept that a new part of her career began where sales should no longer count in the factors of appreciation. At that time, my only requirement was that she continue to produce quality albums despite low sales. MDNA made me fear the worst but Rebel Heart reassured me.

BTW, all my life, I listened to artists who never had a gold certification of their career. So the level of sales is not a very important element for me.

Thank you

You have brought up some amazing and refreshingly objective points. Especially the never before seen chart domination all the way up to 51, uncharted waters for any pop act, ever. Some people talk cluelessly about Cher's Believe as a precedent and an example of longevity or outstanding commercial acclaim past a certain age, without mentioning that album was preceded and equally followed by the absolute years-long void charts wise.

Madonna has consistently released studio albums once every two and a half years on average since she was 25, minus the Evita transition in between BS and ROL and the HC to MDNA interval, and just as consistently saw them debut on top of the charts and spending time there too, has had charting singles all the way to 51 and to score a hit with Celebration after 26 years is nothing short of extraordinary, especially considering how little promotion she did for that GH and the song itself

She also isn't one of those acts who have made their policy to release three thousand compilations and GHs either. Them or their record companies whatever. Hello Kylienne Minogue and friends

And let's not forget that even post quarter of a century WB tenure, MDNA (Universal's 7th biggest seller of 2012 according to the IFPI, for an act 30 years into the business) and RH both had some of the finest UWC opening week figures for any act in their respective years, 750k and 320k respectively

I mean, the fact that Madonna scored a minor hit with BIM on Billboard and on VEVO and YouTube thanks to Nicki Minaj but 30yo Minaj with 20 times the airplay barely sold half a million globally with her studio release of the same time while RH sold 20k copies south of the 1m mark despite being shamelessly ignored by radio, tells you everything you need to know about how obviously biased, contrived and purposely oblique Billboard's charting regulations are

HolidayGuy    0

For heritage/veteran acts like Madonna, the Album Sales chart is more relevant than the multi-metric top 200 one as it is now. Even though album sales are not huge like they were, it's still a fair measure, rankwise, when comparing against past performance (newer releases, of course , won't have the longevity of her heyday, but still).

I still care because it’s a parameter to understand/size her fanbase and approach.

I think that yeah her sales are low, but we should be not only focusing on physical sales but also streaming, because for the charts they’re also sales and that’s why they added the SPS chart.

I like to think that she hit rock bottom with RH sales and even with the leaks fiasco she managed to sell 1M units and that’s very healthy still, outselling the last albums of Xtina, Janet, Brit, Mariah.

Of course Taylor, Ariana or Adele sell way too much but they are on another league, a millennial league, even there Ariana has sold around 1.6M units of his last album but she has 2Billion streams from Spotify.

M is caught between those trends, 1M sales is ‘healthy’ but not enough, RH has around 130M streams from Spotify and that’s a great number but also ‘not enough’ because the market is still shifting, maybe next era it will rely more on streams.

HolidayGuy    0

^However, heritage/veteran acts- unless they pass on or another extraordinary circumstance occurs- do not get streamed like newer/more current acts. Thus, such acts are at a disadvantage on the multi-metric chart, in general. I pay much more mind to the Album Sales chart (listing it before the multi-metric one in my archive files), as it's the only fair comparison to what the BB 200 once was. The albums chart was always just based on one factor, unlike the Hot100, which was always a blend of multiple components. Billboard made a multi-metric chart because album sales had dropped, and that was a way to "inflate" the numbers for what it considers one of its "flagship" charts (I don't any longer, but that's here nor there).

erotica blu    0

What matters to me is the artistic merit of the new music itself. I want a new project I can Stan for. The Interscope Era is my least favorite with respect to the albums themselves.

Confessit    0

No its streams and digital sales that count now in a much bigger way than album sales ever did.

But Madonnas team still release like its 1999, so I'm not sure she an ever win.

tuckeye    0
11 minutes ago, Confessit said:

No its streams and digital sales that count now in a much bigger way than album sales ever did.

true!

Yes sales and commercial success in general still matters. Madonna is a pop artist and makes music for a wide audience. Streaming is also very important and I think she can gain a lot more traction. If you don't follow her at Spotify do it:

Suedehead    0

Madonna is the best selling female recording artist of all time (learn it). Of course sales still matter to her and to a lot of her fans. Don't even pretend it's not true and let's not equate her recent flop albums with her or us just not caring. Stop the pretense!

Suedehead    0
3 hours ago, Confessit said:

Her fan base is too old for streaming 

If she hadn't spent the best part of a decade chasing the young streaming  crowd by releasing half hearted records mixed in with perfumes and face creams between tours she wouldn't have alienated millions of her core album buying fanbase. 

LSD    0
On 8/12/2017 at 0:01 AM, IsaacHarris said:

Anymore? I never did.

:asian:

VogueMusic    0
On 8/12/2017 at 5:41 PM, Pedro said:

I think that If we look at it objectively, when was the last time The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen or other male performers of the stature of Madonna have offered an evolved, updated or different to what their core characteristic sound is? If they are doing their thing like you are saying, it is the exactly same thing they have been doing for the last 30-40 years, music and performance wise and their fans are not ever going to ask for more or something else. What could ever be more gimmicky that resorting to the exact same gimmicks that made you famous in the beginning?

I honestly love my ever evolving Madonna, sometimes ahead or the curb or others not so much. 

I'm happy and proud that Madonna is still compared to the new generations because in my eyes that means that she's still the bar and the reference against which everyone is measured, have you thought that everything that Madonna has done, featurings and all is what has made her the most successful female star ever, or the 3rd most successful musical act? 

I understand that you are making a point about the difference between the male and female music industry but don't reinforce or fall in the common stereotypes these same industries have reinforced on us. 

tenor.gif

On 8/12/2017 at 7:04 PM, Pedro said:

I don't consider oversimplifying things by answering to your post where male performers were to be considered in a higher regard against women because they do their own thing and don't resort to the latest producer or "gimmicks" to stay current, but I ask you are they current? do they want to be relevant, do they want to make a contribution to the state of pop culture, do they want to keep being influential? In my humble opinion they want to remain in the same comfortable zone and not challenge their status quo... 

Madonna either we like it or not, either we want it or not is the most commercial act ever, her longevity, influence and success is based on her ability to stay current and being on the charts forever, either with this incredible duality to produce outstanding complex music or the catchiest simplest song like Hung Up. I'm in no way saying that a collaboration moves her artistic output forward or it's a process that assures evolution, but this same albums that have brought this hip collaborations have brought outstanding music. Madonna is Candy Shop, Body Shop as Falling Free and Ghosttown...

If she has chosen this way to present her music there must be a strong reason why behind it, maybe if she hadn't choose this path things could have evolved into a very different scenario...

When you say that she should stick to her own style, what would that style be, the sound of Erotica, AL, COADF,  ROL, etc, the marvel that is Madonna is the ever changing style of her music, things are very easy to judge in hindsight but who's telling us that her decision to work with the trendiest producer today isn't the fabric of her future development. 

I assume that we are talking about the last 3 albums HC (which I adore) that had two trendy producers, MDNA that had one trendy producer and one of the biggest Jedi master ever William Orbit, and RH (which I worship) that couldn't have had more of the most mature and Madonna sounding music and lyrics from the las 10 years made by the most current people in the music business today. Many people consider that not releasing the Avicii Rebel Heart was the biggest mistake ever, and others don't want her to try to hard to sound current and follow trends. 

tumblr_nzbnr4zEzS1rlafseo1_400.gif

VogueMusic    0
On 8/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, XXL said:

@functions_X, @Pedro has answered beautifully already. Besides Madonna started the collabo thing when she was almost 50. Not 20 or 30 like some other acts who were supposed to have come to steal her thunder and have ended up being visibly outsold by her in the 90s and 2000s. Hello Mariah, Janet, Britney, Chrustina, JLO etc

And U2 haven't made collaborations with younger pop acts? Not really. Maybe not for a single release because they truly don't care about radio play, they know that they can stick to the same arrangements forever, get massive publicity off Bono being photographed next to world leaders (Madonna opens an hospital in Malawi and all they talk about is her supposed words about Whitney and Sharon Stone from 25 years ago), generally get the royal treatment by the media without ever being innovative and they keep selling concert tickets.

Madonna works a lot harder than they do and always does a visceral, visibly more engaging and ever stimulating type of show. She's invested on more than one platform. And I'm not referring to the gyms or her business aspirations to which she's also very much entitled to. Has anyone listened to Bono's voice lately? Nobody in the media, curiously, seems to have picked up on how croaky and thin it's become, meanwhile RHT voice ...

anigif_enhanced-15796-1453130025-4.gif

On 8/13/2017 at 6:15 AM, XXL said:

You have brought up some amazing and refreshingly objective points. Especially the never before seen chart domination all the way up to 51, uncharted waters for any pop act, ever. Some people talk cluelessly about Cher's Believe as a precedent and an example of longevity or outstanding commercial acclaim past a certain age, without mentioning that album was preceded and equally followed by the absolute years-long void charts wise.

Madonna has consistently released studio albums once every two and a half years on average since she was 25, minus the Evita transition in between BS and ROL and the HC to MDNA interval, and just as consistently saw them debut on top of the charts and spending time there too, has had charting singles all the way to 51 and to score a hit with Celebration after 26 years is nothing short of extraordinary, especially considering how little promotion she did for that GH and the song itself

She also isn't one of those acts who have made their policy to release three thousand compilations and GHs either. Them or their record companies whatever. Hello Kylienne Minogue and friends

And let's not forget that even post quarter of a century WB tenure, MDNA (Universal's 7th biggest seller of 2012 according to the IFPI, for an act 30 years into the business) and RH both had some of the finest UWC opening week figures for any act in their respective years, 750k and 320k respectively

I mean, the fact that Madonna scored a minor hit with BIM on Billboard and on VEVO and YouTube thanks to Nicki Minaj but 30yo Minaj with 20 times the airplay barely sold half a million globally with her studio release of the same time while RH sold 20k copies south of the 1m mark despite being shamelessly ignored by radio, tells you everything you need to know about how obviously biased, contrived and purposely oblique Billboard's charting regulations are

tumblr_ojhguvvXFA1vrjwbvo1_500.gif

rocknrolla    0

Back in the 90s, I thought her career was basically over.  Now she's the most successful female artist of all time.  But everything's going to streaming where she does not do so well, so her record will not matter so much in the future.

It appalls me that someday GAGA could beat her touring record.  She has complete piece of shit tour like Joanne that probably barely breaks even and is a flop by today's standards.  BUT -- she still gets to add a $100 million dollars to the total.  Back in the height of her fame Madonna didn't charge the big bucks so she doesn't get to take advantage of that.  Even if not Gaga, it will be Beyoncé or Taylor Swift. 

Records are made to big broken but it still saddens me to think about it.  On the other hand, I am a fan of many artists who would be thrilled to sell even Rebel Heart's numbers. 

Shane    0
8 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

Back in the 90s, I thought her career was basically over.  Now she's the most successful female artist of all time.  But everything's going to streaming where she does not do so well, so her record will not matter so much in the future.

It appalls me that someday GAGA could beat her touring record.  She has complete piece of shit tour like Joanne that probably barely breaks even and is a flop by today's standards.  BUT -- she still gets to add a $100 million dollars to the total.  Back in the height of her fame Madonna didn't charge the big bucks so she doesn't get to take advantage of that.  Even if not Gaga, it will be Beyoncé or Taylor Swift. 

Records are made to big broken but it still saddens me to think about it.  On the other hand, I am a fan of many artists who would be thrilled to sell even Rebel Heart's numbers. 

So true. We may see most of her chart, sales, and touring records broken, and that's just the way of the world.

However, there was an artistic level and a cultural impact that Madonna had that won't be equalled let alone surpassed. And while there will always be lazy people who insist that "their fave" did everything better, I find that most times when I randomly ask someone about Madonna, they "get" that what she did was above and beyond.  

Kim    0

Of course they matter. It's PART of the job of a pop star to sell records and we and Madonna herself want her to do her job to the best of her ability. Madonna knows it, normal fans know it. As album sales drop, tour revenue drops, quality control drops, visibility drops. Sure, there are fans who can't wait for the day they spend 5k a ticket to see Madonna in some 1000 seater theatre singing her latest self-released tat. They are the worst. There has been nothing organic or natural about Madonna's slight decline across the entire world since she signed her last deal. It's been abrupt and it's been obvious why. 

Of course, when Madonna DOES have her next classic and critically and financially successful album (and she will) everyone will change their tune AS PER.

karbatal    0

I hope she brings a new wave of young fans, as it always happened until MDNA.  From then on her fan base stuck and then decreased.  If it's sales or streaming,  I don't care.  But I don't want Madonna being just a legend :( 

I wish we knew the truth though.  What she really feels,  what's her strategy.  If she feels it ain't worth it,  if RH was her "fight back"  album and she was left exhausted,  if she plans more world domination,  if she plans some big musical surprise... 

We know NOTHING ugh.  Remember last film got Masterpiece because Guy Oseary convinced her???????  Maybe this time we don't even have a song.  

Or maybe we get a conceptual new album!!!!!!!?!?! 🙌 

lasky    0

She could be big again by joining forces with younger acts... like being a featured artist.... like Rihanna, Justin Bieber... that made them stay "relevant"...  If you count their No. 1s based solely on their own efforts and not being a featuring artist, they would have lesser no. 1s... (e.g. just looked at Mariah Carey...)

In this time and age, record sales don't mean anything anymore unless you are wildly successful... like who can outsell Adele nowadays? album sales are quite disappointing for many artists, but M made it up with touring.... I see nowadays, other artists also follow these kinda trend too... 

I do hope she put out a new song/single to clear and moisturize our droughts...

Jazzy Jan    0

Always want Madonna to be appreciated by the masses as she deserves to be.  Her music deserves to be heard, celebrated and loved by the world. She is the Queen of Pop, the Queen of everything music related. I detest it with a passion when they call other basics the Queen of pop.  Every single female music star that matters looks up to her and wants to have the same career. 

I grew up with Madonna always being a superstar and her music being known by everyone. When all other pop superstars faded or sadly somewhat self destructed, she has remained a pop superstar. She needs to have her music promoted and played properly. Interscope has been second rate and inept as an excuse for a record company. Madonna deserves better.   

I think she will have a massive hit again.  Never count Madonna out.