MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Do We Give a Shit About Album Sales Anymore?

10 minutes ago, functions_X said:

if she is releasing commercial music with trendy producers, rap features etc, aimed at sales, then YES, sales are a measure of success...

If it's not related to a trend, then I think it's fair to say sales don't really matter.

Agree 

17 hours ago, Skin said:

I think this next Madonna era whenever that is will be the first time where I really don't give a crap about her album sales all because the charting system with streaming is such a joke right now and actual album sales are officially in the shitter.  I mean if it does good business great, but I feel like we reached a point where album sales really are irrelevant. The #1 album this week sold a mere 36k in pure sales....That's abysmal.  

Signed

It's frustrating to often read how Madonna is not selling like the "younger ones" simply because as far as proportions go it is entirely false. Especially when you factor in the huge discrepancy in radio time. And her male counterparts from her generation who, like her, are still a massive touring and merchandising draw, are never measured up against the younger acts. Madonna has dominated the age of record sales (sprinkled with iconic and for their time successful tours no less) and she has thoroughly dominated the touring age.

She just needs to sort out youtube, get proper streaming and music marketing positioning and less hostility to her new music from radio (her catalogue airtime is always massive everywhere) wouldn't hurt.

No other pop act has remained so successful and massively bankable for nearly as long and with a transgenerational following as she got

1 hour ago, functions_X said:

if she is releasing commercial music with trendy producers, rap features etc, aimed at sales, then YES, sales are a measure of success...

If it's not related to a trend, then I think it's fair to say sales don't really matter.

True

Album sales matter to me because keeping the physical formats alive matters to me.

It's bigger than Madonna.

yes, sales are important. I still buy cd's because they have better sound quality than anything else. Sales and tours are good indicators of how relevant artists are at present. 

I never cared about album sales in the first place, I just knew that she's the queen of pop and that's about it.

of course they still matter, not because i need them to enjoy the content of an album but sales bring in more money and more interest which helps with more singles, more videos, more remixes and more to a tour. 

2 hours ago, DitaDolla said:

Album sales will be shit, tnx to GMAYL :IMG_1564:

:chuckle:

56 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

I never cared about album sales in the first place, I just knew that she's the queen of pop and that's about it.

She wouldn't have been the Queen of Pop if her sales sucks.

Based on previous report, LN will exclude album sales out of the next contract (if there's one).

In other words, she will need a proper record company to help to promote & distribute her album.

Yes a few of us still buy cds but do you realize that the practice is considered laughable by most people?

I'm not just talking about paid streaming, which I am a huge fan of.  I tend to buy the cd to support the artist and play it in my car, but stream the album on Spotify to support them in that fashion as well.  However, there are many people who simply don't think they should have to pay for music and in fact refuse to. The idea of the artist being compensated means nothing to them.

so to answer it - no i no longer care about charts. if she does well - super great though!

please Madonna go back to ur roots! pure thumping ass pounding dance floor music!

5 hours ago, XXL said:

And her male counterparts from her generation who, like her, are still a massive touring and merchandising draw, are never measured up against the younger acts

that's true, male legends are not often measured against young males, but to be completely honest, they don't chase trends, features, trendy producers etc like women do. Every now and then there is a rare collaboration, but most of the older male stars are doing their thing, not teaming up with Niki, Katy, Diplo or whoever is trendy at the moment. Women sometimes reinforce stereotypes and ageism when they are trying to stay current by collaborating with the hottest new trendy kid. It's really a vicious circle.... but male stars rarely go with gimmicks like that, if you look at it objectively.

2 hours ago, horn said:

She wouldn't have been the Queen of Pop if her sales sucks.

I know sales are important, I just meant I never really thought about the sales until I joined pop forums.

Honestly as far as I was concerned American Life was pretty much a success in the UK back in 2003, until I started using forums.

19 minutes ago, functions_X said:

that's true, male legends are not often measured against young males, but to be completely honest, they don't chase trends, features, trendy producers etc like women do. Every now and then there is a rare collaboration, but most of the older male stars are doing their thing, not teaming up with Niki, Katy, Diplo or whoever is trendy at the moment. Women sometimes reinforce stereotypes and ageism when they are trying to stay current by collaborating with the hottest new trendy kid. It's really a vicious circle.... but male stars rarely go with gimmicks like that, if you look at it objectively.

I think that If we look at it objectively, when was the last time The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen or other male performers of the stature of Madonna have offered an evolved, updated or different to what their core characteristic sound is? If they are doing their thing like you are saying, it is the exactly same thing they have been doing for the last 30-40 years, music and performance wise and their fans are not ever going to ask for more or something else. What could ever be more gimmicky that resorting to the exact same gimmicks that made you famous in the beginning?

I honestly love my ever evolving Madonna, sometimes ahead or the curb or others not so much. 

I'm happy and proud that Madonna is still compared to the new generations because in my eyes that means that she's still the bar and the reference against which everyone is measured, have you thought that everything that Madonna has done, featurings and all is what has made her the most successful female star ever, or the 3rd most successful musical act? 

I understand that you are making a point about the difference between the male and female music industry but don't reinforce or fall in the common stereotypes these same industries have reinforced on us. 

23 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I think that If we look at it objectively, when was the last time The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen or other male performers of the stature of Madonna have offered an evolved, updated or different to what their core characteristic sound is?

I honestly love my ever evolving Madonna, sometimes ahead or the curb or others not so much.

but I feel you are oversimplifying things... The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce etc are doing nothing new, and collaborations with Niki, LMFAO etc are considered "evolving"? What exactly are these collaborations bringing to the table, artistically? And why is she always collaborating with the hottest new thing who just happens to have a hit on the charts?

I think that Madonna's songs that are closer to her core characteristic sound are much stronger artistically than any of these "young" "hip" collaborations. I think that all of these older acts, male or female, are producing better music when they are sticking to their own style, whether it's Madonna or U2.

11 hours ago, functions_X said:

but I feel you are oversimplifying things... The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce etc are doing nothing new, and collaborations with Niki, LMFAO etc are considered "evolving"? What exactly are these collaborations bringing to the table, artistically? And why is she always collaborating with the hottest new thing who just happens to have a hit on the charts?

I think that Madonna's songs that are closer to her core characteristic sound are much stronger artistically than any of these "young" "hip" collaborations. I think that all of these older acts, male or female, are producing better music when they are sticking to their own style, whether it's Madonna or U2.

I don't consider oversimplifying things by answering to your post where male performers were to be considered in a higher regard against women because they do their own thing and don't resort to the latest producer or "gimmicks" to stay current, but I ask you are they current? do they want to be relevant, do they want to make a contribution to the state of pop culture, do they want to keep being influential? In my humble opinion they want to remain in the same comfortable zone and not challenge their status quo... 

Madonna either we like it or not, either we want it or not is the most commercial act ever, her longevity, influence and success is based on her ability to stay current and being on the charts forever, either with this incredible duality to produce outstanding complex music or the catchiest simplest song like Hung Up. I'm in no way saying that a collaboration moves her artistic output forward or it's a process that assures evolution, but this same albums that have brought this hip collaborations have brought outstanding music. Madonna is Candy Shop, Body Shop as Falling Free and Ghosttown...

If she has chosen this way to present her music there must be a strong reason why behind it, maybe if she hadn't choose this path things could have evolved into a very different scenario...

When you say that she should stick to her own style, what would that style be, the sound of Erotica, AL, COADF,  ROL, etc, the marvel that is Madonna is the ever changing style of her music, things are very easy to judge in hindsight but who's telling us that her decision to work with the trendiest producer today isn't the fabric of her future development. 

I assume that we are talking about the last 3 albums HC (which I adore) that had two trendy producers, MDNA that had one trendy producer and one of the biggest Jedi master ever William Orbit, and RH (which I worship) that couldn't have had more of the most mature and Madonna sounding music and lyrics from the las 10 years made by the most current people in the music business today. Many people consider that not releasing the Avicii Rebel Heart was the biggest mistake ever, and others don't want her to try to hard to sound current and follow trends. 

6 hours ago, Showdown said:

of course they still matter, not because i need them to enjoy the content of an album but sales bring in more money and more interest which helps with more singles, more videos, more remixes and more to a tour. 

THIS! Exactly this!

I mean, if you think about it no sales = no interest = no tour.

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Yes a few of us still buy cds but do you realize that the practice is considered laughable by most people?

I'm not just talking about paid streaming, which I am a huge fan of.  I tend to buy the cd to support the artist and play it in my car, but stream the album on Spotify to support them in that fashion as well.  However, there are many people who simply don't think they should have to pay for music and in fact refuse to. The idea of the artist being compensated means nothing to them.

At this point, can't imagine hardly any people under twenty one even buying music off iTunes. Maybe some legacy type artists will do a bit better with sales. 

Yes.

I always want Madonna to be successful.

Rebel Heart was robbed of a #1 spot and should've been her sixth Number One album in a row. :banghead:

11 hours ago, Anne said:

Yes, I like to see my queen being successful. 

And stack those dollars. 

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think that If we look at it objectively, when was the last time The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen or other male performers of the stature of Madonna have offered an evolved, updated or different to what their core characteristic sound is? If they are doing their thing like you are saying, it is the exactly same thing they have been doing for the last 30-40 years, music and performance wise and their fans are not ever going to ask for more or something else. What could ever be more gimmicky that resorting to the exact same gimmicks that made you famous in the beginning?

I'm happy and proud that Madonna is still compared to the new generations because in my eyes that means that she's still the bar and the reference against which everyone is measured, have you thought that everything that Madonna has done, featurings and all is what has made her the most successful female star ever, or the 3rd most successful musical act? 

I understand that you are making a point about the difference between the male and female music industry but don't reinforce or fall in the common stereotypes these same industries have reinforced on us. 

:thumbsup:

@functions_X, @Pedro has answered beautifully already. Besides Madonna started the collabo thing when she was almost 50. Not 20 or 30 like some other acts who were supposed to have come to steal her thunder and have ended up being visibly outsold by her in the 90s and 2000s. Hello Mariah, Janet, Britney, Chrustina, JLO etc

And U2 haven't made collaborations with younger pop acts? Not really. Maybe not for a single release because they truly don't care about radio play, they know that they can stick to the same arrangements forever, get massive publicity off Bono being photographed next to world leaders (Madonna opens an hospital in Malawi and all they talk about is her supposed words about Whitney and Sharon Stone from 25 years ago), generally get the royal treatment by the media without ever being innovative and they keep selling concert tickets.

Madonna works a lot harder than they do and always does a visceral, visibly more engaging and ever stimulating type of show. She's invested on more than one platform. And I'm not referring to the gyms or her business aspirations to which she's also very much entitled to. Has anyone listened to Bono's voice lately? Nobody in the media, curiously, seems to have picked up on how croaky and thin it's become, meanwhile RHT voice ...