MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Do We Give a Shit About Album Sales Anymore?

I think this next Madonna era whenever that is will be the first time where I really don't give a crap about her album sales all because the charting system with streaming is such a joke right now and actual album sales are officially in the shitter.  I mean if it does good business great, but I feel like we reached a point where album sales really are irrelevant. The #1 album this week sold a mere 36k in pure sales....That's abysmal.  

the industry sales are shit and will not get any better...i thought i would cry if rebel heart didnt hit number one...but it was such an amazing album that i didnt care...she has proven herself above and beyond any famous person could ever wish for...all i want is more music more music!

not really even if it sells 1 per country i couldn't care less it's the vehicle for the next tour.....  

i think it's all about streams and tours nowadays. Album sales are a nice bonus but people forgot how to respect and appreciate music lol. gotta move with the times! although, vinyl is coming back, so maybe the tides will shift in the next few years.

Even if it only charts in Tajikistan, if it's good music (which it always has been) then i'm content.

I think it still important if her tours are based on her latest release

38 minutes ago, eroticerotic said:

i think it's all about streams and tours nowadays. Album sales are a nice bonus but people forgot how to respect and appreciate music lol. 

Completely agree. Madonna has her fan base and always will. I ask for good music, and in that regard Rebel Heart delivered for me big time. She had an amazing tour that made millions. Album sales aren't what they were for any artist, not just M.

True album sales have deteriorated a lot over the years and by the the time her next album is released sales will be even more pitiful by then. It makes little sense for album sales to be highly regarded. Compared to what they were a decade ago or even just a couple years ago is a joke!

All I want is a hit single. 

15 minutes ago, loowee said:

All I want is a hit single. 

Me too. Radio is practically impossible but I want her to generate big exposure in some ways and get a big reaction. And that's what will help sell concert tickets the most.

I admit it was thrilling to see how well Madonna did in the late 90s/early 00s.  With the internet, I was able to see how the Music album would sell like ten million copies worldwide in one week.  I thought she was a total flop up until this point, based on US sales alone of Erotica/Bedtime stories.  Or how the Immaculate Collection is one of the best selling albums of all time.

It's all about quality of music even though I def enjoy looking at charts for fun & discussion witn others. My own personal issue is that I haven't been fully content with several of singles starting with HC. Want Madonna to be a bit more experimental with new beats. She did do that partly for me with some of RH. 

Yes, album sales is still relevant. Maybe things get a little complicated in the US but it's still good outside US.

There's nothing wrong about US album sales, it's Billboard fucked up their system take in other shit into consideration.

Dun use "CD is over" as an excuse 'cos Adele had proven CD is not dead.

I am very interested in streaming figures for the next era.  Suddenly Spotify has explode among people from my generation,  who were still buying cds, as digital download seemed a stupid scam.  

Nowadays I can buy a cd but I don't rip it anymore to transfer to my phone,  as I did with Rebel Heart.  Now I listen to Rebel Heart in Spotify when I'm not at home.  Had it been like that two years ago,  I would have counted as much more sales. 

We may be surprised because more and more people are streaming and this can benefit Madonna a lot.  

About pure sales,  if Madonna delivers there's still a lot of former fans out there THRISTY of material that will make them love her again.  

It's up to her too. 

i never gave a shit until people made it out to be important.. to me it's about the quality.. and bragging about statistics only seems to show insecurity.. (i.e. what mariah fans do)

and ive said this before.. as long as madonna puts out real high quality material, it's gonna sell

Good music is good music, regardless. Nearly all the current material ruling the charts and the airwaves right now is utter SHIT. So...

And I'm tired of this "well, Adele sells"... please. Yes, there is always that 1 exception to the rule. But for the other 99.9% to have to be compared to that...no. Not a fair comparison, nor how it even works...even for legends.

Yes of course I do 

I haven't cared about music sales or top positions ever.

First because it was a given and she was ruling to the left and to the right, then came the AL era and we all worried to an extreme, then came the world domination of Hung Up with humongous WW sales that calmed us up. But then when GI2M didn't chart or sale on the "important makets" I thought: fuck it I'm just going to enjoy the Madonna ride as it comes up...

I think RH is a magnificent album with outstanding work that connects deeply with me, so if it just only did sell my copy I'm totally happy with it. 

Of course I would love a global hit, with tv ads, movie deals, Spotify or whatever platforms are in vogue just to remaind people of the power of Madonna. 

She has been uber successful in other arenas for the longest time, so maybe it's time to stop measuring with an indicator that doesn't reflect success anymore. 

I hope we just get lots physical stuff to buy this next era!

8 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Good music is good music, regardless. Nearly all the current material ruling the charts and the airwaves right now is utter SHIT. So...

And I'm tired of this "well, Adele sells"... please. Yes, there is always that 1 exception to the rule. But for the other 99.9% to have to be compared to that...no. Not a fair comparison, nor how it even works...even for legends.

I agree!  If it's good, I really don't care how I get it (but I do miss all the physical releases we used to get).  But this current "streaming/airplay" shit is just that....SHIT!!!

M, please release something soon (we already know it will be good) and ignite that fire once again.  I'm not really sure what she could do at this stage of the game to win the GP back.  A lot of the younger people are not interested, even though the song is superior to anything getting attention now.  Biased and ageist.  If she'd release a single with a different name and no one knew it was her, I bet it'd be a hit.  But (at least for most of us loons), her voice is too recognizable.  

if she is releasing commercial music with trendy producers, rap features etc, aimed at sales, then YES, sales are a measure of success...

If it's not related to a trend, then I think it's fair to say sales don't really matter.

Album sales are dead, Katy Perry is selling shoes(katy perry collection.com check it out) and lady gaga sells hats and meet and greet selfies. When record labels don't make enough money from album sales(like 10 years ago) the money comes mostly from merchandise and tours. There are still some people that sell albums like Adele and Taylor Swift, but they are like 1%, not the rule. Beyoncé had a good run with her lemonade, but the whole thing it was more promo for her tour. As for Madonna, we know she can have decent album sales. I still believe she can deliver a hit, it just needs right producers and wise marketing. If you want a hit today you need Spotify power. A song that is promoted on the Today Top Hits(a playlist with tracks that labels pay to put in it when they debut new material) is a tool to make many people listen to it. Katy used Spotify to make CTTR chart to #4 on Hot 100. As for digital sales, I think people will buy the song if its good. The big problem is the radio. Radio stratospheric hits in us(over 100 mill audience impressions) help the song sell on iTunes, because million people get to hear it. Interscope really struggled to promote gaga on the radio and she is like 31 years old. Million reasons was added after superbowl, even though it was released months before. Radio seems to love people like Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber(musicians aged 20-25 years average). It will be a real win if 60 years old Madonna can have a radio hit.

I'd personally like to see Madonna buck the trend and just release short eps or three-four song projects with interesting visuals. She could be more experimental, change up styles and sounds more often. People just rip individual songs from net these days so why not? She could still do full album projects in the mix.