Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
spotlight

Should Madonna bring back Donna and Nikki Haris for her next world tour.

Should Nikki Haris and Donna de Lory be brought back as backup singers on the next tour?  

93 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Nikki Haris and Donna de Lory be brought back as backup singers on the next tour?



Recommended Posts

Where's that two pages spread about the GT feud when you need them???? :lmao:

I love them. Niki asking for room service. Madonna with the cigar... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Where's that two pages spread about the GT feud when you need them???? :lmao:

I love them. Niki asking for room service. Madonna with the cigar... 

 

11ih6hg.jpg

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As if they're still physically capable of doing big world tours... get real...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Gus said:

 

11ih6hg.jpg

:lol:

- Instead of working out like everyone else, Nikki has been eating like a horse.

- We've had to enlarge the tight pants she(Nikki) wears in the "Express Yourself" number 7 times.

- While Madonna is exercising, Nikki is ordering room service from her hotel room. Nikki has eaten her way across the world. She loves sampling the cuisine of every country she visits and can't resist the temptation to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madonna has moved on and so have the fans but let me add here that they have been a victim of Madonna's own ageism - yes that's right. She gets upset when people call her old or whatever and yet she's only recruiting 20-something dancers and crew members and backing singers in her own tours rather than 'the best' as she implies she wants. If she wants to have the best guitarist or best flamenco dancer or best backing dancer then their age should be irrelevant rather than her current routine of surrounding herself by imbecilic 20 somethings but that's a whole other discussion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, definitely. Donna and Nikki actually added something to the live performances they did with M. You can't say that for any of the three she's toured with since 2004, and the music is suffering for it -- something that a lot of the fans on this thread seem happy to ignore as they gossip about the behind-the-scenes drama that was probably made up by tabloids anyway.

But this backing vocals talk is really part of a larger conversation: M needs to take a step back and reevaluate her shows from top to bottom after RHT. Stop singing over album cut vocals -- it's obvious and lazy. Get a new music director. Get a real band again. Drowned World Tour was the last show that felt live. Even the most amazing moments of her live shows post-DWT are being let by the terrible bands, pre-programmed drum machines, and weak backing vocals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, horn said:

- Instead of working out like everyone else, Nikki has been eating like a horse.

- We've had to enlarge the tight pants she(Nikki) wears in the "Express Yourself" number 7 times.

- While Madonna is exercising, Nikki is ordering room service from her hotel room. Nikki has eaten her way across the world. She loves sampling the cuisine of every country she visits and can't resist the temptation to eat.

"Madonna is fine with my body. It has never been a problem."

"I had to gain 45 pounds to play the young Billie Holiday."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YEs, oviously..its been downhill ever since they left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gus said:

 

11ih6hg.jpg

:lol:

That was proven to be a false.  Just another stupid article made up by Australia's pathetic weekly magazines.  That one being Women's Day.   The same magazines that had pages saying how drunk and out of control Madonna was at Tears of a Clown and using the "evidence"  of her falling off her tricycle.   Never take anything they say seriously.  They change their stories from week to week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Suedehead said:

Madonna has moved on and so have the fans but let me add here that they have been a victim of Madonna's own ageism - yes that's right. She gets upset when people call her old or whatever and yet she's only recruiting 20-something dancers and crew members and backing singers in her own tours rather than 'the best' as she implies she wants. If she wants to have the best guitarist or best flamenco dancer or best backing dancer then their age should be irrelevant rather than her current routine of surrounding herself by imbecilic 20 somethings but that's a whole other discussion.

 

I agree about singers and musicians ( age does not matter ) but dancers are always young in all forms of live shows.  I have noticed in all the musicals I have seen that the dancers are always young ( from the programme profiles )    I think it is just because people get more injuries as they become older.  Same with sport.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one thing I have always wondered about Donna -- does she imitate M's vocals when she sings backup? You can always hear Nikki perfectly, as he voice is totally different, but Donna kind of merges with Madonna's voice, and M always sounds stronger when Donna is doing backup.

Also, in one scene of the Confessions Tour behind-the-scenes, you hear something very similar to M's voice, and you see Donna singing, and Madonna is giving directions and making comments...Here it is, the exact moment is set:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this would help ticket sales, to be honest, especially since she's been touring so often in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, material_boy said:

Yes, definitely. Donna and Nikki actually added something to the live performances they did with M. You can't say that for any of the three she's toured with since 2004, and the music is suffering for it -- something that a lot of the fans on this thread seem happy to ignore as they gossip about the behind-the-scenes drama that was probably made up by tabloids anyway.

But this backing vocals talk is really part of a larger conversation: M needs to take a step back and reevaluate her shows from top to bottom after RHT. Stop singing over album cut vocals -- it's obvious and lazy. Get a new music director. Get a real band again. Drowned World Tour was the last show that felt live. Even the most amazing moments of her live shows post-DWT are being let by the terrible bands, pre-programmed drum machines, and weak backing vocals.

I think she had a great mix of Live and Computer during RIT and CT and even S&S wasnt so bad.

Its during MDNA that the music starred sounding  100% programmed and with RHT and the latests perfs you really notice how the songs feel flat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Suedehead said:

Madonna has moved on and so have the fans but let me add here that they have been a victim of Madonna's own ageism - yes that's right. She gets upset when people call her old or whatever and yet she's only recruiting 20-something dancers and crew members and backing singers in her own tours rather than 'the best' as she implies she wants. If she wants to have the best guitarist or best flamenco dancer or best backing dancer then their age should be irrelevant rather than her current routine of surrounding herself by imbecilic 20 somethings but that's a whole other discussion.

 

Exactly.  You can't tell it better than that.   Of course @Jazzy Jan is right about the dancers,  but the rest aren't to be limited by age.  And she's limiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, functions_X said:

one thing I have always wondered about Donna -- does she imitate M's vocals when she sings backup? You can always hear Nikki perfectly, as he voice is totally different, but Donna kind of merges with Madonna's voice, and M always sounds stronger when Donna is doing backup.

Also, in one scene of the Confessions Tour behind-the-scenes, you hear something very similar to M's voice, and you see Donna singing, and Madonna is giving directions and making comments...Here it is, the exact moment is set:

 

That was her main role and why she's so missed and the three of them as an ensemble are missed.  Donna was hired for the Who's That Girl tour because of that ability to enhance and enrich Madonna's voice.  Madonna was present during casting for back singers and Donna was singing with her and Madonna snapped "will you start singing?" and she discovered that Donna was singing all the time,  only being such perfect that it seemed that Madonna was singing alone.  

And Donna added the DRAMA.  She may be whatever people like but no other back singer has ever touched her.  Music the song is glorious when she's on vocals live, for example.  Or Express Yourself.  Imagine Deeper And Deeper in RHT with both of them????????  imagine how would have sounded Living For Love in the album with them????? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Starman said:

I think she had a great mix of Live and Computer during RIT and CT and even S&S wasnt so bad.

Its during MDNA that the music starred sounding  100% programmed and with RHT and the latests perfs you really notice how the songs feel flat

Sticky and Sweet had a fuller sound, and thank God 4 that drummer. DWT held the perfect balance with Stuarts aproach
and it worked well with the overall theme. Cofessions souned flat 2 me...sometimes there would b only stuart with his laptop,
It was a bit depressing 2 watch. But I think the screens have someting 2 do with it cuz a lot the sound is time coded with the visuals
on the screens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, acko said:

Sticky and Sweet had a fuller sound, and thank God 4 that drummer. DWT held the perfect balance with Stuarts aproach
and it worked well with the overall theme. Cofessions souned flat 2 me...sometimes there would b only stuart with his laptop,
It was a bit depressing 2 watch. But I think the screens have someting 2 do with it cuz a lot the sound is time coded with the visuals
on the screens.

Hmm the screens are obviously timecoded with the songs but there is no effort right now to enrich them besides monte and his guitar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, material_boy said:

Yes, definitely. Donna and Nikki actually added something to the live performances they did with M. You can't say that for any of the three she's toured with since 2004, and the music is suffering for it -- something that a lot of the fans on this thread seem happy to ignore as they gossip about the behind-the-scenes drama that was probably made up by tabloids anyway.

But this backing vocals talk is really part of a larger conversation: M needs to take a step back and reevaluate her shows from top to bottom after RHT. Stop singing over album cut vocals -- it's obvious and lazy. Get a new music director. Get a real band again. Drowned World Tour was the last show that felt live. Even the most amazing moments of her live shows post-DWT are being let by the terrible bands, pre-programmed drum machines, and weak backing vocals.

:clap: I 100% agree! Especially about the musical director part. Kevin Antunes is quite honestly terrible. I cringe so hard when I listen to his cheaply produced studio versions. Sounds like a damn MIDI track. They are so fucking bad. Stuart Price on the other hand did a great job with the reworking of her tracks although it still could have improved from a live band playing the tracks on stage. 

I really hope she does one big ass purge on her current team. It's time for a big change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jazzy Jan is correct about the dancers, I have personally heard some of M's former dancers say they that they think they're too old for the kind of tours she does. 

It could be the same for some of the musicians I suppose, even though they're not jumping around on stage they would need to be reasonably fit & healthy to be a part of M's show just because it is so strenuous. Not eveybody is superhuman like our fave. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I'm not including Monte obviously - he's been with her for over 15 years or whatever. 

My point is more about the overall 'age average' of mostly her dancers and her backing singers.

It would be so refreshing if she had like a 50 year old ballerina or dancer doing a dancer interlude rather than the usual acrobatic / B-boy business the average 19 year old dancer does in her tours which we've seen before so many times. I guess the gays like their eye candy but they can go to Kylie Minogue or Britney Spears shows for that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, loowee said:

As if they're still physically capable of doing big world tours... get real...

they're both younger than Madonna so yes they are still physically capable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad_On_Her said:

they're both younger than Madonna so yes they are still physically capable

In my experience, being younger than Madonna doesn't always mean you are as physically capable as she is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×