MadonnaNation.com Forums
XXL

Bedtime Stories' Lyrics

XXL    0

I have always loved this album's lyrics. All the hurt and disappointment over the hypocrisy from the Erotica/SEX backlash is on display, although she never plays the victim. But also her willingness to go past it, her strength, the memory of her mother, her sexuality, her being unrepentant. I've sometimes heard this album referred to as Madonna's depressed album but there are so many moments of positivity and good energy

Today is the last day
That I'm using words
They've gone out, lost their meaning
Don't function anymore

I could be your sister, I could be your mother
We could be friends, I'd even be your brother
But I'd rather be your lover
That's right, I'd rather be your lover

I don't know where I stand with you
I never ever make any plans with you
I don't know what I mean to you
The only thing I know is I dream of you

And all that I know (All that I know)
Is I just don't understand (Just don't understand]
Why my, happiness always lies
In the palm of your hand, but

Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice
Him or her I shall follow

Who needs the sun, when the rain's so full of life
Who needs the sky
It's here in your arms I want to be buried
You are my sanctuary

Who needs the sun, when the rain's so full of life
Who needs the sky, when the ground's open wide
It's here in your arms I want to be buried
You are my sanctuary

Who needs a smile, when a tear's so full of love
Who needs a home, with the stars up above
It's here in your heart I want to be carried
You are my sanctuary

Who needs the light, with the darkness in your eyes
Who needs to sleep, with the stars in the sky
It's here in your soul I want to be married
You are my sanctuary

I can't stop thinking of you
The things we used to do
The secrets we once shared
I'll always find them there
In my memories

But this heartache isn't going anywhere
In the public eye I act like I don't care
When there's no one watching me
I'm crying

I will always have you, inside of me
Even though you're gone
Love still carries on
Love, inside of me

I keep a picture of you
Next to my bed at night
And when I wake up scared
I know I'll find you there
Watching over me

When my world seems to crumble all around
And foolish people try to bring me down
I just think of your smiling face
And I'm flying

I also love the interviews from this era

A year later and technically not part of the BS era but still a millon gazillion eloquence about the SEX backlash

S.E.X.    0

Lovely album, very well produced but I can't help but feel it's a bit generic.

Rugbyguy    0

My favourite Madonna album, yes I agree it's very well produced and there's no filler to be found here. Bedtime Stories is full with lush, strong vocals, some of the best and most soul searching lyrics of her career and every video was iconic.

What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said? 

It's a gorgeous album and an absolutely brilliant marketing and business move by Madonna after Erotica. I think it reminded a lot of people how incredible her music was. 

Secret was the perfect single to lead with. Lush, mid tempo, killer chorus and stunning video. I remember it wasn't an out of the door smash like the rest of her lead singles. It was a grower. And it remains one of the most beloved songs from her entire 90's catalog by the general public. Such a slinky, sexy groove. 

After Ray of Light, I think this is her best album lyrically. It's vulnerable, yet empowering at the same time. Inside of Me, Love Tried To Welcome Me, Sanctuary, and Bedtime Story have some of the most poignant, aching lyrics of her entire career. Beautiful. 

And if there's ever been an anthem for Madonna, and her fans, to live by, it's Human Nature. I don't care how successful it was or how high it charted. I can imagine how cathartic it must've been for her to release this song. After the way she was dragged for almost 2 years, she had every right to release a big FUCK YOU anthem. No one else would've done this. Especially in today's vanilla field of shitty pop music. 

Shaun    0

A lyrical triumph. No question. Love Tried To Welcome Me alone makes this album shine.

MeakMaker    0

I always play this album. I like the 90's  r&b sound and sounds fresh in that retro sense. Lyrically it goes from being in your face to extremely romantic and so poetic to the point of being philosophical. I can listen to it from start to finish skipping Don't Stop (not because it's not a great track but only cus it's not as strong as the rest and yes lyrically speaking it's a filler lol ). 

spotlight    0

Sanctuary was one of her lyrical peaks, imho. The album is one of my favourites M albums now. It's one of my most played on iTunes. At the time of BS'  release, I was underwhelmed. It definitely grew on me over the years. 

Pedro    0
4 hours ago, spotlight said:

Sanctuary was one of her lyrical peaks, imho. The album is one of my favourites M albums now. It's one of my most played on iTunes. At the time of BS'  release, I was underwhelmed. It definitely grew on me over the years. 

Exactly my feelings about the album, I was too young to appreciate the quality and deep profound lyrics and production, now it's one of my favorites. 

Stereo    0

I ignored the album for a long time, but recently reconnected with it and really appreciate it more now than at release.

Your Honesty, Dont Stop, Id Rather Be Your Lover are groovy and fun; love her voice in Secret, and Forbidden Love/Dont Stop should have been the last singles, even after Human Nature. I wouldve loved remixes or extended versions of both songs.

Never cared for Take a Bow, but always loved the melancholy of Love Tried To Welcome Me.

Sanctuary and Bedtime Story are dark and moody and I love how they paved the way for her electronic venture a few years later.

And, adding I’ll Remember, Let Down Your Guard and Your Honesty to it makes for quite a lovely album.

Her most poetic album lyrically.

Regarding the song Bedtime story, Bjork stated that Madonna got the lyrics wrong, that the song was about getting drunk but she liked what she did with it and found it interesting.

mnino    0

Part of the Holy Trinity:

1. LAP

2. BS

3. ROL

I know Erotica gets a lot of love but to me BS is much more sensual and personal. LUSH.

XXL    0
On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, Stereo said:

I ignored the album for a long time, but recently reconnected with it and really appreciate it more now than at release.

Your Honesty, Dont Stop, Id Rather Be Your Lover are groovy and fun; love her voice in Secret, and Forbidden Love/Dont Stop should have been the last singles, even after Human Nature. I wouldve loved remixes or extended versions of both songs.

Never cared for Take a Bow, but always loved the melancholy of Love Tried To Welcome Me.

Sanctuary and Bedtime Story are dark and moody and I love how they paved the way for her electronic venture a few years later.

And, adding I’ll Remember, Let Down Your Guard and Your Honesty to it makes for quite a lovely album.

Indeed :clap:

I also would like to add that I feel like the BS album started with Erotica's Secret Garden

XXL    0
On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, Roland Barthes said:

Regarding the song Bedtime story, Bjork stated that Madonna got the lyrics wrong, that the song was about getting drunk but she liked what she did with it and found it interesting.

:thumbsup:

tuckeye    0

it is pop perfection for Madonna. i was into it again last month. on repeat.

very differnt then erotica and something that no one would expect a follow up to be during that backlash. 

On 8/6/2017 at 10:41 AM, Roland Barthes said:

Didn't she release her own version of it? I can see the changes M made compared to this which I feel are the original lyrics unless were reworked.

23 minutes ago, dylanciccone_ said:

Didn't she release her own version of it? I can see the changes M made compared to this which I feel are the original lyrics unless were reworked.

Madonna wanted to sing it in duet with her at the Brits but Bjork was recording Post in the Bahamas. 

Shane    0

A wonderful thread, thank you.

I also think this album is among her best in terms of lyrics.  Bedtime Stories gets overshadowed by Erotica and Ray Of Light, but it really was an important album in her career.  It was also quite popular at the time.  It debuted high and sunk fast but then returned to the Top 20 and hung there for many weeks.  

The I'll Remember, Secret, Take A Bow string of singles was quite a juggernaut and will bring back memories to anyone who listened to pop radio in 1994-95.

I also liked the visual imagery of this era from the four exquisite videos to the album art.