Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Hector

DIVA REWIND: Whitney Houston reading the hell out of Wendy Williams

Recommended Posts

Martin B.    0
2 hours ago, vocalism said:

The classy, sweet little girl persona was an act that was largely created by Clive and Arista.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vocalism    0
1 hour ago, Dancing_Queen said:

She desperately wanted to be street, but she was raised in a good neighbourhood by fairly well-off parents. But her father was this mobster-like, greedy, philandering piece of sh*t (idolized by his daughter) while her mother is/was this strict, holier-than-thou bigot (that Whitney probably secretly despised).

End result being as we all know it.

Anyway, maybe she did say it then. But then I think I agree with tuckeye's theory that she was jealous of Madonna's liberty to choose her own path.

On the other hand, I found out that the pop magazines I used to read were completely made up BS most of the time. I've never heard of this magazine, so I'll take your word on it if you say they were reliable.

This is all valid. Obviously it's not her fault that she was born into the family she was, but we all need to take responsibility for our lives at some point. With her hard upbringing, Madonna could have grown up to be a hot mess too, but she didn't. Who knows why. It must have been hard to be raised in such a religious environment and be bisexual (or a lesbian), but she praised Jesus until the day she died and that was her choice, not Cissy's. And like I've said about Mariah's comments about Madonna in the mid '90s, these are two women (of color) who were controlled by men, both professionally and personally. I know it's easy and fun to make fun of Mariah in particular and downplay her success because of that, but these are two artists who were white-washed early in their careers. Of course they were jealous of someone like Madonna, who was in charge of her sexuality and her career. 

That said, a cunt is a cunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzy Jan    0
2 hours ago, vocalism said:

The classy, sweet little girl persona was an act that was largely created by Clive and Arista. She was street. She had a taste for drugs from an early age because of her brothers and her upbringing. Everyone blames Bobby, but he was more of a drinker. She liked her drugs. And women, supposedly.

 

16 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

This.

True. Clive Davis controlled her image and music with a fine tooth comb. It must of been awful to have to play a white washed version of who she was to fit her promoted, created image. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin B.    0
1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

 

True. Clive Davis controlled her image and music with a fine tooth comb. It must of been awful to have to play a white washed version of who she was to fit her promoted, created image. 

She would have been a much better singer (a more soulful one) and would have probably recorded better songs (more R&B) without this excessive control aimed at selling her to the caucasian public in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vocalism    0

But then she wouldn't have had a fraction of the success. The bottom line is that she chose to sign with Arista and let Clive and her mother control her. She chose to sing those songs. If she'd had the talent to write her own material then maybe she wouldn't have had to rely on them to launch her career. It's not like she was nobody. Her mother and aunt were both famous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shaun    0

You guys MUST visit this queen's Instagram. He does multiple clips from the Whitney/Wendy interview and it's hilarious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzy Jan    0
1 hour ago, vocalism said:

But then she wouldn't have had a fraction of the success. The bottom line is that she chose to sign with Arista and let Clive and her mother control her. She chose to sing those songs. If she'd had the talent to write her own material then maybe she wouldn't have had to rely on them to launch her career. It's not like she was nobody. Her mother and aunt were both famous. 

I think Clive Davis and her mother were controlling horrible people but I have to admit Clive really launched her into superstardom with her debut album.  I read an interview with him once where they talked of how they spent so much time picking the songs they knew would sell. Saving all my love for you, How will I know and The Greatest love of all are all classics that she sang beautifully and have remained classics. 

I don't like Clive or Cissy but I do think they did everything right with her debut. They should of then given her more artistic freedom with her subsequent releases and not controlled her music and image. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin B.    0
1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I think Clive Davis and her mother were controlling horrible people but I have to admit Clive really launched her into superstardom with her debut album.  I read an interview with him once where they talked of how they spent so much time picking the songs they knew would sell. Saving all my love for you, How will I know and The Greatest love of all are all classics that she sang beautifully and have remained classics. 

I don't like Clive or Cissy but I do think they did everything right with her debut. They should of then given her more artistic freedom with her subsequent releases and not controlled her music and image. 

For the first album, they white-washed her but the choice of songs was indeed very good. It was with the second album that they made terrible choices by erasing all traces of R & B and soul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzy Jan    0
34 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

For the first album, they white-washed her but the choice of songs was indeed very good. It was with the second album that they made terrible choices by erasing all traces of R & B and soul.

Agree totally. They really went overboard from the word go with the God fearing wholesome Christian girl image that she never really was.  That was really emphasised in the recent concert'/biopic about her.  Her debut album had songs that suited her but the follow up was purely aimed at the record buying public with the choices they made.  Had some great pop songs on it of course but nowhere near as good as the debut album and like you said, removed the traces of R& B and soul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IsaacHarris    0

2 pages in & no one has posted the ICONIC interview of all interviews:

 

 

Nippy was having NONE of Diane's foolishness that afternoon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vocalism    0
1 hour ago, IsaacHarris said:

2 pages in & no one has posted the ICONIC interview of all interviews:

 

 

Nippy was having NONE of Diane's foolishness that afternoon.  

Foolishness? Whitney embarrassed herself. Even she would have admitted that when she got clean. But she gave us some iconic memes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spotlight    0
17 hours ago, Shaun said:

You guys MUST visit this queen's Instagram. He does multiple clips from the Whitney/Wendy interview and it's hilarious.

 

This queen is hilarious. :chuckle::chuckle: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2017 at 5:59 PM, vocalism said:

The classy, sweet little girl persona was an act that was largely created by Clive and Arista. She was street. She had a taste for drugs from an early age because of her brothers and her upbringing. Everyone blames Bobby, but he was more of a drinker. She liked her drugs. And women, supposedly.

I disagree. That was only one side of her. She WAS classy, well spoken (even when she was shading someone) and could be a sweetheart. Yes, she did have a street side obviously and could cuss with the best of them but she wasn't raised that way and knew how to conduct herself when she felt like it. That "street" side was only one side of her personality. It wasn't all she was at all.

Whitney had different facets to her personality as most of us do and certainly, with regards to some of her interviews, the drugs didn't help.

To label her as ONLY being a bitchy "crackhead" as if that's all she was isn't fair or accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IsaacHarris    0
Just now, StrawberryBounce12 said:

Whitney had different facets to her personality as most of us do and certainly, with regards to some of her interviews, the drugs didn't help.

To label her as ONLY being a bitchy "crackhead" as if that's all she was isn't fair or accurate.

 

giphy.gif

You betta tell em! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vocalism    0
21 minutes ago, StrawberryBounce12 said:

I disagree. That was only one side of her. She WAS classy, well spoken (even when she was shading someone) and could be a sweetheart. Yes, she did have a street side obviously and could cuss with the best of them but she wasn't raised that way and knew how to conduct herself when she felt like it. That "street" side was only one side of her personality. It wasn't all she was at all.

Whitney had different facets to her personality as most of us do and certainly, with regards to some of her interviews, the drugs didn't help.

To label her as ONLY being a bitchy "crackhead" as if that's all she was isn't fair or accurate.

I'm not denying that she was capable of being a "sweetheart." And I never said all she was was a "crackhead." I don't think I ever even used that word. She was one of the greatest singers of her generation, maybe ever. And she achieved a lot in her career. Of course she was capable of being well spoken. She obviously had the ability to act a certain way when being interviewed, but I have NEVER seen any candid video or audio of her being that way in her private life. Are you denying that they groomed her to look, act, speak, and perform in a certain way? Because that's a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IsaacHarris    0

 

"Good morning Ms Houston.

MRS. BROWN ...how r u?

We're well thank you.

WE!? You & the camera???"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barbie    0

Honestly I miss Whitney :cries:she was one of the most relatable superstars ever. She always kept it REAL. Fuck the music and image, I'm talking about who WHITNEY was off the stage. I will never forget the day she died, I legit had a panic attack because I could not believe the news. Anyone but Whitney.

I love her. The voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
horn    0
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:02 AM, graffitiheart said:

DE-Z2rHWAAAQWp4?format=jpg&name=large

Thank you @graffitiheart

Guess who's having the last laugh now.

M is still in the game and healthy whereas bitch rot in hell now with her daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barbie    0
3 hours ago, horn said:

Thank you @graffitiheart

Guess who's having the last laugh now.

M is still in the game and healthy whereas bitch rot in hell now with her daughter.

:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
todsmod    0
4 hours ago, horn said:

Thank you @graffitiheart

Guess who's having the last laugh now.

M is still in the game and healthy whereas bitch rot in hell now with her daughter.

Exactly!!  Where is Nippy now?  One chip on your shoulder usually means two feet in the grave!!!  She should have taken Bobby w/her (and Cissy, Dionne...and the rest)!!!!   Privilege is earned, not given.  Why is it so easy to dismiss privilege simply because someone is of color is beyond me.  Whitney (and a few others) have had everything handed to them on a silver platter.  It's what you do with what is given to you (or earned) that makes someone special, a star.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IsaacHarris    0
8 hours ago, Barbie said:

:unsure:

EXACTLY:rotfl:  That comment was so EXTRA.

Let's get back to the original purpose of the thread & worship Nippy's legendary diva antics:

 

 

(Get into her face when Bobby brings the flowers. SHE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barbie    0
2 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

EXACTLY:rotfl:  That comment was so EXTRA.

Let's get back to the original purpose of the thread & worship Nippy's legendary diva antics:

 

 

(Get into her face when Bobby brings the flowers. SHE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED)

Whitney wanted to just stay home and sleep :rotfl:ugh I miss her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spotlight    0

Whitney has never minced words. She just speaks.

i love her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×