MadonnaNation.com Forums
Gâteau

Coldplay Surpasses Madonna for No. 5 Highest Grossing Tour of All Time

The British band’s continuing A Head Full of Dreams Tour has now grossed $412 million.

Coldplay has passed Madonna to claim the No. 5 highest grossing tour of all time, according to ticket sales data reported to Billboard Boxscore.

The British band’s continuing A Head Full of Dreams Tour has now grossed $412 million, pulling ahead of Madonna’s Sticky & Sweet Tour, which earned $408 in revenue in 2008 and 2009.

The all-time highest grossing tour remains U2’s 360 Tour, which tallied a massive $736.4 million during its run from 2009 through 2011.

Humanity takes its boring form in Chris Martin/Coldplay. They make boring soccer mom songs and their song catalogue is as diverse as a box of M&M's. That guy has literally no stage presence and you would never even catch me grocery shopping in any of these hideous and basic outfits he's wearing on tour. A tragedy! I'm devastated!

Sticky & Sweet >>>>>>> Boreplay

source.gif

This is a greatest hits tour right? Makes sense. Madonna hun, you know what to do

412M with 95 shows i believe versus S&S's 85.

S&S - 7 month, 85 shows, 408m

Coldplay - 10 month, 95 shows, 412m

They still have another 28 shows to go (123 shows in total).

Just now, Barbie said:

This is a greatest hits tour right? Makes sense. Madonna hun, you know what to do

wow they have greatest hits ? i thought it was one song in different forms

2 minutes ago, horn said:

S&S - 7 month, 85 shows, 408m

And:

Inflation
(adjusted 2016 gross)
$450,021,400

5 minutes ago, sotos8 said:

:rotfl:

BASICALLY.

Yea they're boring as fuck. But humans are stupid. This is what they like and will pay to see. The hits.

21 minutes ago, sotos8 said:

LOL! 

The same song played 25 times = greatest hits tour. 

21 minutes ago, Barbie said:

No, it's not. It's a tour supporting their latest studio album of the same name. They do play basically all the hits, always, and in their original form. From memory I'd say there are 5 or less album tracks, the rest is all singles from this and previous albums. Most people seem to like that in a concert. I personally found it a bit too similar to the previous stadium tour in basically everything. Then again, this era is a bit of a rehash of the multicolored Mylo Xyloto era in general.

congrats to them. For me Sticky is her worst tour no matter that it is her most successful one (commercially speaking). Money is not everything. 

One cannot compare band grosses with solo act grosses.....

9 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

Why not?

12 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

the same thing

I'm sure M won't mind them having this one for a year or so lol.

The U2 of the Taylor Swift generation. Bland, basic, safe, harmless, predictable, vanilla, generic. No wonder everyone loves them. As for the record, I think it's bound to happen. In another years a younger (shittier) act will come for this record and so on. It means nothing. 

1 hour ago, Martin B. said:

Why not?

Every person attending a solo act is there for one person... and the money does not have to be split...

1 hour ago, Cyber-Raga said:

congrats to them. For me Sticky is her worst tour no matter that it is her most successful one (commercially speaking). Money is not everything. 

ive always thought she should have her greatest successful tour with confessions or RIT. they're perfect for people who haven't watched madonna live yet, and I know for a fact ss disappointed many curious casual fans in some countries where she visited for the first time and actually hurt her rep

1 minute ago, Nikki said:

ive always thought she should have her greatest successful tour with confessions or RIT. they're perfect for people who haven't watched madonna live yet, and I know for a fact ss disappointed many curious casual fans in some countries where she visited for the first time and actually hurt her rep

Really, WTG should be at the tops. It was a greatest hits tour for its time (because all she had was hits) and she could have toured it for years. Really, there's no reason that WTG couldn't have sold out stadiums across every continent until September 1988 or even right up until the day she released "Like a Prayer." She had the momentum.

the unfair one is roger waters, who performed pink floyd songs under his solo name

i cant stand coldplay. to me, they're a more pop-py and redundant version of U2. they always go for the easy melody.. they're predictable. not that I'm a U2 fan but I can enjoy their visuals and innovation for the shows.. they did a "smaller" tour a year ago and I thought it was really beautifully done

5 minutes ago, material_boy said:

Really, WTG should be at the tops. It was a greatest hits tour for its time (because all she had was hits) and she could have toured it for years. Really, there's no reason that WTG couldn't have sold out stadiums across every continent until September 1988 or even right up until the day she released "Like a Prayer." She had the momentum.

i was thinking of the mid 00s tours but in her whole career many tours wouldve been better, if not all.

but i agree, when it comes to madonna the performer.. nothing beats who's that girl. alone with her band on stage, dancing alone, giving so much energy. it's so raw. a real rockstar

1 minute ago, Nikki said:

when it comes to madonna the performer.. nothing beats who's that girl. alone with her band on stage, dancing alone, giving it her all. it's so raw. a real rockstar

WTG is maybe the ultimate MADONNA show. The whole show is basically Madonna and spotlight. Yeah, Pat rocked up the songs with the band, and there were a couple dancers -- but really, this show was carried by the sheer magnetism that was MADONNA. She was such a phenomenon at the time, you can't look away for the entire show.

Now, I love the sheer spectacle of M's shows from 1990 onward, but I would love to see her revisit a format like WTG's one more time.

I own their first 3 albums and then after that it was zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz.  Couldn't give a flying fuck.  At this point I truly don't understand their continued success or U2s.  I don't think I have ever met someone that was like "U2 I love them!!!!!".  And I am sorry but the thought of Madonna selling a "greatest hits tour" to pander to basics does nothing for me, especially for the sake of simply breaking tour records.