MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedehead

HUNG UP / A NEW LEVEL: Madonna's finest guitar moment?

I know fanz hated this, but look at all the mostly positive comments on YouTube from Pantera fans : 

"Gotta have respect for a pop singer to pay tribute to one of the best metal bands of all time by playing their riff. In her own right she's done wonders for music, but this is just cool as fuck. Plus holy shit her drummer is badass"

"Im not a madonna fan, but as a fan of pantera, i think its cool that her guitar player (from PRONG who toured with pantera many times) showed her this kinda music... she seems to like jammin' it, if it means more people exposed to pantera and metal, who gives a fuck, win win for everyone."

"she was 51 years old ...still hot for her age!"

"People are always bitching...so fucking sick of it. I love Cannibal Corpse  and Death as much as the next guy, but you know....this is really not that bad. Let Madonna be..."

"she how much better it sounds with metal, also not to mention is it me or she got way hotter when she played those riffs"

"She should try to shred, I'm sure she could do it."

And my favourite: 

"none of these idiots knew who she was paying respect to with the song at the end"

:dead:

She should record a full heavy metal album,it would be rad lol. I would soo buy it.

you can say whatever you want... it's so damn sexy that she plays guitar, and even more a Pantera Riff!! \m/

Way to go +Madonna you rock my heavy metal world play a beatle tune very nice electric guitar performance.

that was great, I was really surprised to see Madonna playing Dimebag's riffs

My brother who is a Pantera/Metal fan loved it.

He has gone to every Madonna concert in Mexico and always has the best comments about her. 

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

"none of these idiots knew who she was paying respect to with the song at the end"

:dead:

giphy.gif

Fabulous! My absolute favorite GUITARdonna reinvention.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

My brother who is a Pantera/Metal fan loved it.

Yesss! When I made my heterosexual big brother watch the S&S DVD, he thought this was one of the highlights :headbang:

16 minutes ago, IsaacHarris said:

Fabulous! My absolute favorite GUITARdonna reinvention.

Yesss! When I made my heterosexual big brother watch the S&S DVD, he thought this was one of the highlights :headbang:

Me too! I loved it from the moment I saw and heard it! I love the whole performance and never got the fan hate for it. It shows how much of an eccletic artist she is and how that tour tried to meld things together (and succeeded).

I love that pantera riff, I'm one of those ignorant fans that did not recognize the A new level riff..like the majority of the gays in the audience, 😂but now I love it, that's the best part of this HU reinvention 

atrocious - even worse than MDNAT version. 🤢

Monte is of course playing this riff not M , i always liked this rendition of hung up and she's sexy playing  (or trying to play  ) the guitar. Way better than MDNA 

I had NO idea about the Pantera riff. Makes the rendition more interesting. But it's still one of the absolute WORST things I've EVER seen live on stage. She just bastardized that song and neutered it of all its disco glory on S&S and MDNA. 

20 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I had NO idea about the Pantera riff. Makes the rendition more interesting. But it's still one of the absolute WORST things I've EVER seen live on stage. She just bastardized that song and neutered it of all its disco glory on S&S and MDNA. 

Ok it's not worse than the MDNA hung up! 

1 hour ago, Mensch said:

Ok it's not worse than the MDNA hung up! 

Oh, I think it is. 

While Hung Up on MDNA was terrible, at least it worked thematically with the rest of the first segment.  The S&S version of Hung Up was pretty self indulgent to say the least. It hurt my ears and I took a bathroom break. 

Feel ambivalent about this version! There are parts of it that I really like & at other times not crazy about it at all. 

On 27/07/2017 at 10:07 PM, sotos8 said:

Monte is of course playing this riff not M , i always liked this rendition of hung up and she's sexy playing  (or trying to play  ) the guitar. Way better than MDNA 

No and no 

She's playing it too

God Madonna fans sometimes are the worst

On 26/7/2017 at 11:58 PM, Suedehead said:
She should record a full heavy metal album,it would be rad lol. I would soo buy it.

you can say whatever you want... it's so damn sexy that she plays guitar, and even more a Pantera Riff!! \m/

Way to go +Madonna you rock my heavy metal world play a beatle tune very nice electric guitar performance.

that was great, I was really surprised to see Madonna playing Dimebag's riffs

For years I'm waiting for a real rock album, with raw vocals and fuck you atittude. In my opinion, it was a missed opportunity in AL. Her thin voice in I'm So Stupid or Hollywood takes away much possibilities. 

She started as a rock chick, she feels that music. And her voice is perfect. Open Your Heart or Papa Don't Preach were so powerful precisely because rock was so trendy back then and she sung those pop songs as rock songs. 

And let's remember the rock atittude she had with Let It Will Be for example. She has it in her veins, for God's sake, but she's somehow shy when it comes to recording nowadays. 

I actually quite like this performance, but I didn't when I first saw it. (And fans generally were SO angry at this particular reinvention.)

I really liked how rock she went on this tour. It worked so well in the big stadium setting. I think this performance suffers by comparison because "Borderline" and "Dress You Up" and "Human Nature" (and even the request song) worked better when they were rocked up. So, even though I quite like this, it does come out looking weak because I like the others so much more.

I think the weakest part of this number is actually the slow-mo breakdown at 3:10. It just doesn't work in the rock reinvention. But I do love the Pantera bit. Absolutely amazing -- and, yeah, it might be peak Rockdonna.

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

For years I'm waiting for a real rock album, with raw vocals and fuck you atittude. In my opinion, it was a missed opportunity in AL. Her thin voice in I'm So Stupid or Hollywood takes away much possibilities. 

She started as a rock chick, she feels that music. And her voice is perfect. Open Your Heart or Papa Don't Preach were so powerful precisely because rock was so trendy back then and she sung those pop songs as rock songs. 

Agreed x 1000 for this -- and want to add WTG Tour was put together as a big stadium rock show, according to Leonard.

But I have I disagree on wanting a full-on rock album. I love the Emmy and other pre-"Madonna" rock demos, and I love the rock reinventions (mostly -- sorry, RIT "Material Girl" and "Burning Up" but you sucked), but I'm not sure I want a straight rock album. Maybe if it blended in rock and other genres, I could get excited, though.

Edited by material_boy

A full rock doesn't mean having all being screaming with a guitar, is that rock ballad, or the rock symphonic or gothic tracks... 

On 7/26/2017 at 5:54 PM, Suedehead said:

I know fanz hated this, but look at all the mostly positive comments on YouTube from Pantera fans : 

RRRRRIIIIING

RRRRRIIIING

RRRRRIIIING

GOES THE TELEPHONE ☎️