MadonnaNation.com Forums
V.K

New Ariel Pink interview(insight on that Madonna dig/Interscope)

loowee    0
2 hours ago, Chilltown said:

I can't be the only one that remembers everyone calling for Madonna to leave Warner's a decade back because they weren't doing enough for her.  It clearly isn't Warner or Interscope - she did absolutely nothing for MDNA and the Rebel Heart rollout was a mess. Those were the problems.

Okay yes we all hated Warner, but what does that have anything to do with Interscope being 10 times worse? I don't think many people here expected her chart success would decline so swiftly after she switched labels. Warner at least managed to make sure small stations in small countries would play new Madonna music. Interscope doesn't do ANYTHING to push her music. She promoted the hell out of Rebel Heart (for her promo standard) but no one gave her a chance. Global radio stations completely dropped her the moment she left Warner, and you think record label isn't part of the problem? 

XXL    0
1 hour ago, Kim said:

Yes, which is why this misnomer of a "distribution deal only" needs to end. They are her record company. A shit record company that has no idea what to do with her and probably has limited funds and interest in how to deal with her, but her record company all the same. And yes, it was her choice (with the urging of Mr. O$earey) to sign this deal with the devil for a few quick $$$ at the expense of her recording career.

As someone said above though, when the time comes they just need to start all over again. I wish she would throw caution to the wind and get rid of dinosaur O$eary, who's long since stopped being a "maverick" of anything. There was no need for such a premature end to her reign (outwith the USA) but greed conquered all.

Fortunately she's Madonna, and has the legacy and talent to take herself on a new path and embrace what people still want - a great pop star making great pop music. 

I feel like saying Madonna went along with the idea of making a quick buck is somewhat diminishing of the amount of work and strain she's put herself through on the touring front during the past nine years. There's nothing in her touring work that suggests anything to be quick or effortless. She genuinely saw that she was not going to increase her music sales totals post a certain mark and consciously vied for other options.

There is no way of knowing what her sales would be had she chosen another recording home in place of Universal with her 360 tenure or had she never left WB for the recording/distribution side to begin with. The fact remains Madonna is conspicuously absent from radio but that process had already started during the last few years at WB's. This person said this, that other person said that is mere speculation on our part and gossip primarily.

Madonna's entire career has been an experiment in constant unchartered waters as there was never an act that's released music at constant intervals and performed well or exceptionally depending on the specific career point, all the way to 50. She was never going to see her sales increase since not even Beyonce's sales are increasing but steadfastly diminishing by the sheer changing nature of the industry and its logics/ technology advancements etc. And acts like Beyonce, Katy, Rhianna etc have a MASSIVE backing from radio in comparison

Madonna makes and has made career mistakes like everyone can and does, though she tends to make that much less of them than most.

We often joke about how she reads the forum as she gives little signs she does :laugh: so I 'm sure she reads our discussions about these particular issues on here and has already noted down most of the criticisms made, criticisms that in part I share myself by the way.

What I don't actually think is that she deliberately said "fuck my recording career or my legacy I'm going to have so many $200 a ticket stadium shows and it's all going to be fine"

Kim    0
14 minutes ago, XXL said:

I feel like saying Madonna went along with the idea of making a quick buck is somewhat diminishing of the amount of work and strain she's put herself through on the touring front during the past nine years. There's nothing in her touring work that suggests anything to be quick or effortless. She genuinely saw that she was not going to increase her music sales totals post a certain mark and consciously vied for other options. There is no way of knowing what her sales would be had she chosen another recording home in place of Universal with her 360 tenure or had she never left WB for the recording/distribution side to begin with. The fact remains Madonna is conspicuously absent from radio but that process had already started during the last few years at WB's. This person said this, that other person said that us mete speculation on our part and gossip primarily. Madonna's entire career has been an experiment in constant unchartered waters as there was never an act that's released music at constant intervals and performed well or exceptionally depending on the specific career point, all the way to 50. She was never going to see her sales increase since not even Beyonce's sales are increasing but steadfastly diminishing by the sheer changing nature of the industry and its logics/ technology advancements etc

She makes career mistakes like everyone can make them, though she tends to make that much less of them than most. We often joke about how she reads the forum as she gives little signs she does :laugh:, so I'm sure she reads our discussions about these particular issues on here and has already noted down most of the criticisms made, criticisms that in part I share myself by the way.

What I don't actually think is that she deliberately said "fuck my recording career or my legacy I'm going to have so many $200 a ticket stadium shows and it's all going to be fine"

We've been through all this before. Madonna did state how excited she was about getting her music out there to more people and how the paradigm had shifted blah blah I don't think she necessarily knew she was doing it, but that's where decent (risk) management decisions come in. Short term gain for long term uncertainty is nothing new.

We can all keep bleating about radio and distribution deals and the (sad and shocking fact) that Madonna's core worldwide fanbase has somehow shrunk to less than a million, giving all the same excuses that Mr O$eary gives to Madonna when he's explaining why no one even knows she has a record out or why a dinky arena that sold out in 5 minutes 5 years ago is taking 5 months to fill, or why she is opening a new album with 23k in the UK, but the fact remains that mistakes were made.

Madonna should have been the one to break the glass ceiling, not the one to sit under it crying about Radio 1. Madonna at this point should be an albums artist (singles are a bonus if anything) with a guaranteed decent opening in the main markets (I don't care is she sells 1 million in Zimbabwe if she's selling 20k in Germany) The point is we don't even know where Madonna stands music wise these days, unlike her contemporary legacy acts (and make no mistake that is what Madonna is for the majority of the world) who know their demographic and are managed well.

Madonna's career has been one of leading the way, breaking barriers, not standing on the sidelines or floundering in uncharted waters of her own making. 

The next album and the next tour (after the cheap but exceedingly cheeerful RH) will be interesting. Let's hope someone is listening anyway.

XXL    0
30 minutes ago, loowee said:

Okay yes we all hated Warner, but what does that have anything to do with Interscope being 10 times worse? I don't think many people here expected her chart success would decline so swiftly after she switched labels. Warner at least managed to make sure small stations in small countries would play new Madonna music. Interscope doesn't do ANYTHING to push her music. She promoted the hell out of Rebel Heart (for her promo standard) but no one gave her a chance. Global radio stations completely dropped her the moment she left Warner, and you think record label isn't part of the problem? 

But that's exactly the point!

The nature of her deal with Interscope is not comparable to the nature of her deal with WB. That's PARTLY the reason why she's not to be found on radio anymore. So to correct this she would have to go back to the traditional recording home pattern but even then there's no guarantee radio wouldn't at least partially be difficult to her. Because they have been difficult, pretext ridden and biased for no reason other than "you've bee round for too long" before

Chimera    0

Edited by Chimera

XXL    0
7 minutes ago, Kim said:

We've been through all this before. Madonna did state how excited she was about getting her music out there to more people and how the paradigm had shifted blah blah I don't think she necessarily knew she was doing it, but that's where decent (risk) management decisions come in. Short term gain for long term uncertainty is nothing new.

We can all keep bleating about radio and distribution deals and the (sad and shocking fact) that Madonna's core worldwide fanbase has somehow shrunk to less than a million, giving all the same excuses that Mr O$eary gives to Madonna when he's explaining why no one even knows she has a record out or why a dinky arena that sold out in 5 minutes 5 years ago is taking 5 months to fill, or why she is opening a new album with 23k in the UK, but the fact remains that mistakes were made.

Madonna should have been the one to break the glass ceiling, not the one to sit under it crying about Radio 1. Madonna at this point should be an albums artist (singles are a bonus if anything) with a guaranteed decent opening in the main markets (I don't care is she sells 1 million in Zimbabwe if she's selling 20k in Germany) The point is we don't even know where Madonna stands music wise these days, unlike her contemporary legacy acts (and make no mistake that is what Madonna is for the majority of the world) who know their demographic and are managed well.

Madonna's career has been one of leading the way, breaking barriers, not standing on the sidelines or floundering in uncharted waters of her own making. 

The next album and the next tour (after the cheap but exceedingly cheeerful RH) will be interesting. Let's hope someone is listening anyway.

I disagree that hee fan base has shrunken to a million because RH sold one million :lol:

Her fan base measure is determined by how many people watch her on TV when she appears on a show, the number of copies of a magazine she makes sell, how many people turn up at a live event, in short it is given by a number of indicators not just how many physical or digital copies an act might sell or shift, particularly in an industry like music in the current times. It is not a mono dimensional avenue of release

Also that one million figure is the same figure another 24 releases in the Top 40 have totalled so my other point is why does it gave to be constantly sneered at as if the overall performance elsewhere was ten times as much when it's the same but with a much broader radio support. 25 albums in the Top 40 all getting to 1M is sheer maths not an opinion. That's why many are just saying "imagine IF Madonna got also played on radio". That if depends on a number of variables, last but not least what she has agreed with Universal to do for her upon album release. We do not have the contract to read.

The LN interview you mentioned also says that U2 chose from the start to leave their recording arrangements unchanged

Jazzy Jan    0
6 minutes ago, Kim said:

That is it exactly. So many people don't even know when she releases a new record. I personally noticed that from the release of the last 2 albums. I remember that interview with that live nation executive you mentioned  and it was depressing and explained their mentality and lack of interest in her recording career.  It was horrible to read that they basically did not care about the recording career of the most iconic and successful female singer ever worldwide.  Her management and Madonna herself should have been just as horrified at that as her fans here were. 

This should never have happened with Madonna. She has Always been above all pop acts when it comes to public interest in both her and her music. Why it astounds me that other women such as Mariah, Janet and Kylie have been mentioned in this thread as somewhat examples of what Madonna should expect.  Madonna has always been so far ahead of them in every way for many years and they never should be used as any form of comparison to how she is perceived.  

Orion    0
7 minutes ago, XXL said:

I disagree that hee fan base has shrunken to a million because RH sold one million :lol:

Her fan base measure is determined by how many people watch her on TV when she appears on a show, the number of copies of a magazine she makes sell, how many people turn up at a live event, in short it is given by a number of indicators not just how many physical or digital copies an act might sell or shift, particularly in an industry like music in the current times. It is not a mono dimensional avenue of release

Also that one million figure is the same figure another 24 releases in the Top 40 have totalled so my other point is why does it gave to be constantly sneered at as if the overall performance elsewhere was ten times as much when it's the same but with a much broader radio support. 25 albums in the Top 40 all getting to 1M is sheer maths not an opinion. That's why many are just saying "imagine IF Madonna got also played on radio". That if depends on a number of variables, last but not least what she has agreed with Universal to do for her upon album release. We do not have the contract to read.

The LN interview you mentioned also says that U2 chose from the start to leave their recording arrangements unchanged

This. 

XXL    0
20 minutes ago, Kim said:

Why a dinky arena that sold out in 5 minutes 5 years ago is taking 5 months to fill, or why she is opening a new album with 23k in the UK, but the fact remains that mistakes were made.

Another over semplification I disagree with. What the touring market would bear in 2004-2009 is not the same of what it would go on to bear a mere three years later let alone 2015-2016. Acts like U2 and Madonna have saturated the market with big open air gigs for years it was only natural they'd downsize at some point. Madonna's tour was one of the highlights of the season and retroactive comparison per se serve no purpose imo

As for her debut week figures, MDNA did 740,000 in its first week, 2M in total (as did ten other albums in the top 15), RH three years later 300k in its first week, 1m overall business, so it's all proportioned. She's certainly not one of those acts you can make fun of for being number one in Cape Verde and 60 in Germany :laugh:

Now, what are these huge sales from Katy's, Beyoncé, Rihannas? They should be outselling her 10 to 1 considering they have 10 to 1 radio backing, well they aren't in the least. What I find a tad annoying is people assuming those girls make better music or are more present on the charts because they have more presence if mind and focus or knowledge than a Madonna does when in reality all it would take for them to be gone in five minutes is for the constant media beatification and transparent building up to cease for ten seconds

I also cannot share the logic of Madonna should be an album act at this point. Hasn't she been for a while at this point. Ever since she ceased having back to back huge singles all the way to DAD?

By the same token we could all the more in fact ask ourselves why hasn't Rihanna turned into a legitimate album act and remains tied to the throwaway and unpredictable single strategy instead considering she has been famous for 12 years now .... Quite enough time to mature into an album act who can carry a concept but it would seem not enough for her

Kim    0
17 minutes ago, XXL said:

I said CORE fanbase. As far as I'm concerned, there comes a point in every musical act's life when they will be guaranteed a certain amount of record sales and concert ticket sales, a number that remains steady and consistent. Anything above or below being a blip. This is the core fanbase. Madonna's has shrunk, continues to shrink. This does not need to happen.

I repeat, your "maths" means nothing. I don't care if Madonna is selling well in Mongolia and her concert in Lapland was an instant sell out. There are certain benchmarks and parameters that MADONNA of all people should reach. Selling good numbers in US, UK and Germany for a start. Not struggling to sell two 20k arena shows in a city of 8 million, for a concert special not to get embarrassingly bad viewing figures, for Channel 4 in the Uk not to feel obliged to put in a "pity" bid for a Madonna concert they don't want to show, for people to know the name of Madonna's new album rather than the name of her latest boyfriend etc etc etc

The point being, none of this actually had to happen.

I also blame you apologists for the current state of things, be the way. Nothing worse than those standing back and watching and making excuses all the time. 

Kim    0
12 minutes ago, XXL said:

Another over semplification I disagree with. What the touring market would bear in 2004-2009 is not the same of what it would go on to bear a mere three years later let alone 2015-2016. Acts like U2 and Madonna have saturated the market with big open air gigs for years it was only natural they'd downsize at some point. Madonna's tour was one of the highlights of the season and retroactive comparison per se serve no purpose imo

As for her debut week figures, MDNA did 740,000 in its first week, 2M in total (as did ten other albums in the top 15), RH three years later 300k in its first week, 1m overall business, so it's all proportioned. She's certainly not one of those acts you can make fun of for being number one in Cape Verde and 60 in Germany :laugh:

Now, what are these huge sales from Katy's, Beyoncé, Rihannas? They should be outselling her 10 to 1 considering they have 10 to 1 radio backing, well they aren't in the least. What I find a tad annoying is people assuming those girls make better music or are more present on the charts because they have more presence if mind and focus or knowledge than a Madonna does when in reality all it would take for them to be gone in five minutes is for the constant media beatification and transparent building up to cease for ten seconds

I also cannot share the logic of Madonna should be an album act at this point. Hasn't she been for a while at this point. Ever since she ceased having back to back huge singles all the way to DAD?

By the same token we could all the more in fact ask ourselves why hasn't Rihanna turned into a legitimate album act and remains tied to the throwaway and unpredictable single strategy instead considering she has been famous for 12 years now .... Quite enough time to mature into an album act who can carry a concept but it would seem not enough for her

There we go again. Katy, Beyonce, Rihanna, Swift. Anyone else you want to erroneous compare Madonna to?

Do U2 fans compare them to One Direction? Rolling Stones to Kasabian or some shit?

This is what you people don't understand. Madonna was not one of the pack, she stood alone.

Orion    0

What XXL is writing is right tbh. 

It's hard for a pop act to be an album artist the way you mean it, Kim. Pop albums need DEM HITS to sell :laugh: unlike rock albums, as rock acts have a far more loyal fanbase (and even they're starting to struggle....U2 and Bon Jovi's latest albums sold half of what RH sold).

Still, I don't know another veteran pop artist who sells the amount of copies Madonna sells, who is global like her or capable of having 4 successful worldwide tours in the span of a decade. 

Ageism is not an excuse, I don't need to play the ageism card to justify Madonna's less eventfull charting career today, radios do that themselves.

If Madonna was the only veteran act to have trouble making her way on the charts today I'd agree with some people in here....but she's not (she's actually the only one doing kinda decent, as I stated earlier) so show me those other veterans whose fanbase has not shrunk.

We're comparing Madonna to other people not to disrespect her but because Madonna is somewhat seen as "the only one flopping" when others (among youngsters and her peers) are selling LESS than her and get away with it. 

Again, I agree that all of these things are not the only ones to blame.  

Pedro    0
18 minutes ago, Kim said:

There we go again. Katy, Beyonce, Rihanna, Swift. Anyone else you want to erroneous compare Madonna to?

Do U2 fans compare them to One Direction? Rolling Stones to Kasabian or some shit?

This is what you people don't understand. Madonna was not one of the pack, she stood alone.

While I agree on points made by @XXL and points made by you, I fully agree on this issue... 

I have never understood the need to compare Madonna with other singers that have nothing to do with her except being female pop music singers. There's always this need to get validation from this "peers" that have absolutely nothing in common with her. She's a category by herself... I'm not talking about this case in particular but from many other instances... 

Kim    0
32 minutes ago, Orion said:

What XXL is writing is right tbh. 

I don't think I agree with this romantic "Madonna stood alone" thing, especially from a commercial point of view. 

It's hard for a pop act to be an album artist the way you mean it, Kim. Pop albums need DEM HITS to sell :laugh: unlike rock albums, as rock acts have a far more loyal fanbase (and even they're starting to struggle....U2 and Bon Jovi's latest albums sold half of what RH sold).

I don't know another veteran pop artist who sells the amount of copies Madonna sells, who is global like her or capable of having 4 successful worldwide tours in the span of a decade. 

Ageism is not an excuse, I don't need to play the ageism card to justify Madonna's less eventfull charting career today, radios do that themselves.

If Madonna was the only veteran act to have trouble making her way on the charts today I'd agree with some people in here....but she's not (she's actually the only one doing kinda decent) so show me those other veterans whose fanbase has not shrunk.

We're comparing Madonna to other people not to disrespect her but because Madonna is somewhat seen as "the only one flopping" when others (among youngsters and her peers) are selling LESS than her and get away with it. 

Again, I agree that all of these things are not the only ones to blame. 

But these posts just reek of trying to make excuses for bad management, lack of foresight, and an incapacity to move with the times.

The reason we cannot make these pointless comparisons is because Madonna DID indeed stand alone. She was alone in joining the echelon of premium priced legacy concert acts while still being a relevant chart and sales force. Absolutely no-one getting number one singles and albums in the 00s was selling tickets for £120 a pop (and in retrospect killing off her future ticket buying prospects from young people who bought the records but couldn't afford to see her) No-one walked the tightrope of pop artist yet also pop pioneer with her successful collaborations that actually sold and reviewed well, no-one was both a legacy artist and a contemporary sales and chart force, no-one more or less ignored their earlier discography while still being able to sell shitloads of concert tickets. Madonna pioneered all these things.

When Madonna stopped leading (some would say with the deplorable Hard Candy) is when she stopped pioneering, stopped selling (as much) stopped caring (as much) Then in came the Live Nation Years, and here we are.

I'm not interested in sweeping generalizations of rock fans being more "loyal" Says who? Would Madonna fans still be loyal if she would just "make good pop songs again" (the number one complaint I read and hear from non-hater fans (or one time fans) of Madonna who thanks to her business choices have no idea if her songs are even good or not because they don't know she has a record out) There's still a great deal of goodwill out there for Madonna to come back and do well. People love good pop songs.

All of this is just conjecture anyway. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The point is she needs a real maverick manager, she needs to recruit people that know and care about her legacy past and present, she needs to let go of the purse strings (beyond her laudable charitable endeavours, Madge's penny pinching is bordering on hilarious) she needs to make a great pop album again. Of course she doesn't NEED to do anything at this point and I doubt she even really cares that much right now, but we're all just shooting the shit here, no? 

XXL    0
1 hour ago, Kim said:

And that Madonna is not one of the pack is what I am constantly saying. But you cannot have it both ways when you often read among M fans themselves that Katy etc are selling more, moaning about this and that other, as if everything is to be squarely blamed on her and there cannot ever be other contingencies at play, never mind they have an actual airplay allotment, a huge one and are never challanged on anything.

Katy is getting some of that only now. If you read one of my previous posts you will notice how I underlined how U2 record sales get never compared to Bieber etc ( they never equally say how they sell less than their peer Madonna does though you cannot read a Madonna article which doesn't mention her touring clout but her inexistent sales)

I am not an apologist at all, I am not saying it's ok for Interscope to not have proper in store representation for Madonna, or that her management it's perfect but talking about Zimbabwe as a laughing point and talking about her first week figures, her overall year end sales, her inability to sell a tour as if Madonna were trailing far behind the rest of the pack or as if Madonna had become some B-list star overnight is somewhat misleading.

Her first week figures on the UWC for 2012 or 2015 were as a matter of fact the highest of those years respectively. Which means people still have an interest if younger acts with radio time fail to collect the same plaudit proportionate to the marketing and radio platforms they instead enjoy

The point is only Madonna can redress this by opting for a contract that repositions the scope of the marketing of whatever new music she'll put out from now on. And I hope she called the LN guy when he said those things in that interview but depicting her as some clueless entity who does what Oseary tells her to do is wrong imo

Orion    0

Che stress essere fan di Madonna

:lmao:

Madonna has lots of fan (some fanatic, others casual) and are willing to part with their money for her. The parents were lining up like ants to buy the Rebel Heart CD in the Manila stop of the RHT. Even if they were unaware of her new music, Madonna can still draw a huge audience. Imagine if she has radio support and a proper promotion of her music. 

After her Interscope contract is done, I hope she leaves them.

vocalism    0
6 hours ago, XXL said:

It's not about a ban on mentioning other female artists but if you bring up an example you either contextualise things or expect others to offer a counter argument. When has Madonna jumped from one label to another? Janet and Mariah's careers are a mess because they made it so by how they operate, Mariah's much more than Janet's of course. It is not related to their age at all also in consideration that compared to Madonna they have just reached that industry threshold of discrimination for age NOW or recently anyway and their careers have been a mess for a long time already

The issue is mainly Madonna not being on a traditional recording deal anymore and not receiving adequate support from radio probably as a result of that. Although even during WB last few years radio, particularly in the US, had already started to drop the ball on her minus in part with the COADF era. In Europe all the way up to Celebration she hasn't had a problem with radio airplay the way she seems to have been struggling with in the US since 2003

The other point I was trying to make is that as far as the album front goes the Beyonces, Katys, Rihannas, Britneys should be selling a lot more than Madonna is, considering they have 100 fold her radio airplay, and they aren't. Beyonce has probably sold 7m in the 2010s vs Madonna's 4m, big fucking deal, 35 years behind her. As far as the single situation goes being a teen controlled share of the market, and in this digital age of all times, females in their 20s up to their mid 30s are obviously going to have an edge versus a woman who's nearing 60. Nobody over 30 buys singles from newly released material at least. And anyway they are in the prime of their careers and they'd be expected to deliver the goods, if not now when? Do they show the same Madonna trajectory or her success consistency? Far from it

Which is me simply saying, imagine if Madonna's new music was played on radio, how much she'd be selling

I'm not saying she's jumping from one label to another. I'm warning against that with some fans complaining about Interscope and saying she should go somewhere else. Since she's a "free agent" she could theoretically sign one-off deals to distribute each album, but I think the lack of a long-term relationship with a record label with the budget and connections necessary to make a hit happen (assuming a hit for a 58-year-old woman is even possible anymore) is a problem. Which is basically what you're also saying, so we don't disagree at all.

Regarding radio, I've always found it interesting that M did so well in Europe until she left WB. It sort of suggests that the record label was solely responsible for her success, no? I have a hard time believing that, but it's shocking that M's reputation alone couldn't have resulted in at least a few moderate hits since Celebration - even with the label's help. In the U.S., radio is an uphill battle regardless of much influence her label flexes.

I don't think the album sales thing is such a surprise. No one is buying albums anymore, so of course these younger females aren't doing a whole lot better than M, who fanbase is older and gayer (and thus more wealthy) and are still buying CDs and vinyl. This is not to discount M's enduring popularity after 35 years or that her fans aren't some of the most devoted in the world. I just think we tend to paint a rosy picture. 

I think the answer to all of these concerns is the quality and style of the material. She's going against the grain in a lot of ways and paying for it.

Barbie    0

I just want her next musical release to be amazing. Keep it short and sweet, no more than 11 tracks and zero filler tracks. I want critical acclaim over sales, but both would be nice.

White Heat    0

I had forgotten this person existed until now. I doubt what he is saying is entirely true, though they say there is no smoke without fire & it does seem apparent that M currently has a pretty shit deal. 

Personally, I am of the opinion that she she should probably fulfil her contractual obligations with Interscope as soon as possible. Then, replace Guy (just because he has expired) & find him something less important to do if he really must stick around. Then go get something that is more like a "traditional contract" with whoever can give her the best deal. It's not about the label, it's the deal. 

My understanding is that M left Warner because they wasn't treating her right as an artist, they wasn't treating her right because they wasn't the same Warner anymore... Well most labels are not what they once were. In addition to that, none of these labels operate in the same way that they did previous to Napster etc & most of them are not run by people who understand or care about music or entertainment. They basically are finance companies. This is where I think the problem lies. It's always been the music business but now it's something else.... I'm still waiting for someone to reinvent that wheel.

Starman    0

M didnt leave warner in bad terms, they simply couldnt compete with LN 120Mi offer

Jester    0

For those saying Madonna is selling only in mongolia, Madonna is doing great and is outselling not only her contempories females but the big A-list pop stars of th 2010s.

Major markets(not small countries included)

Mariah carey for example does not have a single album of hers selling in a major market, 

Album: Rebel Heart(released in 2015, zero radio support)       

iTunes:

Album: Joanne(released in late 2016, superbowl 2017, discounts, album sold for 4,69 many times)

iTunes:

Album: Witness(released in June 2017)

iTunes:

Rebel Heart sold 50,000 copies in France, something Joanne and Witness wont do.
Madonna even though being almost 60 has managed to be an album seller without hits and radio support

San    0

I've been listening to Ariel Pink lately, with the new single and all, and I would love for M to collaborate with more organic artists like this than the one trick losers she has been working with. Just get in a studio and create some original music without drawing influence from top 40 sounds. The results would be magic I'm sure. There's no reason she can't still have fun with this approach. She has magic within her, and whilst I'm not bagging her recent output, she could do a lot better. I agree 100% with whoever said critical acclaim is far more important than chart success, especially at this point in her career. Chart music is a fucking abysmal joke.

Do it M! :inlove: