Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
V.K

New Ariel Pink interview(insight on that Madonna dig/Interscope)

Recommended Posts

Lolo    0

^ There must be labels who know how to handle a 'legacy act'. It's not like she's the only legend still making records. At least it can't get any worse than Interscope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nikki    0

who is celine using? sony? same for U2 and those rock bands?

and im sure they're staying with the label they got big with, so there's always gonna be support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzy Jan    0
15 minutes ago, vocalism said:

+1.

As much as I dislike the situation with Interscope, I'm not sure it would be any better anywhere else. The people who understand Madonna and her career are all mostly gone now, even at WB. What I'm concerned about is the possibility of her jumping from one label to the next. Before we know she'll be "self-releasing" or releasing on some unknown indie label and there will be ZERO money to support the albums. Look at Mariah, Janet, etc. NOT trying to compare to their careers/music, but the just the reality of being an older woman on a record label today. 

There is a huge difference. Madonna is a worldwide superstar and icon who still makes millions touring and sells albums.   Mariah can't sell even with Lionel Ritchie and is now a laughing stock and Janet just jancels her concerts all the time.  Madonna will always create more interest than other stars and will always be able to attract a record company. She just is with the wrong record company at the moment.  Interscope is hopeless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sotos8    0
25 minutes ago, vocalism said:

+1.

As much as I dislike the situation with Interscope, I'm not sure it would be any better anywhere else. The people who understand Madonna and her career are all mostly gone now, even at WB. What I'm concerned about is the possibility of her jumping from one label to the next. Before we know she'll be "self-releasing" or releasing on some unknown indie label and there will be ZERO money to support the albums. Look at Mariah, Janet, etc. NOT trying to compare to their careers/music, but the just the reality of being an older woman on a record label today. 

Agreed , and if you see the artists WB is representing right now ..this label doesn't have a hot artist right now .What they have done for Kylie's career in the past years for example? and she's younger than M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lolo    0
11 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

There is a huge difference. Madonna is a worldwide superstar and icon who still makes millions touring and sells albums.   Mariah can't sell even with Lionel Ritchie and is now a laughing stock and Janet just jancels her concerts all the time.  Madonna will always create more interest than other stars and will always be able to attract a record company. She just is with the wrong record company at the moment.  Interscope is hopeless. 

Exactly. Even RH album with all the sabotage was a nr. 1 in physical and actual sales! And I mean sales as in 'money'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XXL    0
50 minutes ago, vocalism said:

+1.

As much as I dislike the situation with Interscope, I'm not sure it would be any better anywhere else. The people who understand Madonna and her career are all mostly gone now, even at WB. What I'm concerned about is the possibility of her jumping from one label to the next. Before we know she'll be "self-releasing" or releasing on some unknown indie label and there will be ZERO money to support the albums. Look at Mariah, Janet, etc. NOT trying to compare to their careers/music, but the just the reality of being an older woman on a record label today. 

In those two cases in particular being an older woman has got nothing to do with their respective career situations. First of all they are 12 and 8 years Madonna junior but haven't enjoyed a fruitful career in well over decade, not on the charts, not anywhere else. Which basically means they haven't had any chart success since their early to mid 30s. Their approach to work is completely .... different shall we say

Madonna has dominated the charts throughout all her 30s and 40s and has generally slayed as long as she was supported by radio and as long as she was on a traditional recording deal. Something that she has sustained with the same recording house for a quarter of a century which is something neither Janet nor Mariah can exactly boast about, in that it is something that must be worked for and deserved, whereas the nature of their ever shifting companies and contracts depended more on other people's efforts and personal affiliation rather than their own merits or actual contribution.

We can discuss all we want about Madonna needing to return to a traditional recording deal but the fact remains that it was an arrangement of her own choosing and as long as she was with WB she more than worked her butt off in promotion as much as creation, radio would still play her and she still more than managed with the charts till 51. She focused more on the tour and Superbowl with MDNA but still found the time to film three lovely videos and with RH well, needles to say she went all the way with album promotion too

Anyone who actually believes that Interscope who only has a distribution deal with Madonna and Live Nation to begin with felt the need to go to this little guy to bitch about RH sales is seriously naive. As if ....

An anyway, an album that in spite of the leaks, in spite of a poorly veiled media campaign about Madonna being irrelevant, unworthy or desperate (not even her claim of the #4 tour of 2015-2016 / #1 arena tour placated their pathological need to diminish her and they had their first fresh opportunity with the Prince tribute and onwards ...) STILL managed to be one of 25 releases only in the 2015 Top 40 to reach the 1M (or close) mark of copies sold worldwide is a fact that never gets stated enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orion    0

 

3 minutes ago, XXL said:

In those two cases in particular being an older woman has got nothing to do with their respective career situations. First of all they are 12 and 8 years Madonna junior but haven't enjoyed a fruitful career in well over decade, not on the charts, not anywhere else. Madonna has slayed on the charts as long as she was supported by radio and as long as she was on a traditional recording deal. Something that she has sustained with the same recording house for a quarter of a century which is something neither Janet nor Mariah can exactly boast about, in that it is something that must be worked for and deserved, whereas the nature of their ever shifting companies and contracts depended more on other people's efforts and personal affiliation rather than their own merits or actual contribution.

We can discuss all we want about Madonna needing to return to a traditional recording deal but the fact remains that it was an arrangement of her own choosing and as long as she was with WB she more than worked her butt off in promotion as much as creation, radio would still play her and she still managed with the charts till 51

Anyone who actually believes that Interscope who only has a distribution deal with Madonna and Live Nation to begin with felt the neeed to go to this little guy to bitch about the RH performance is seriously naive. As if ....

An anyway, an album that in spite of the leaks, in spite of a poorly veiled media campaign about Madonna being irrelevant, unworthy or desperate (not even her claim of the #4 tour of 2015-2016 / #1 arena tour placated their pathological need to diminish her and they had their first fresh opportunity with the Prince tribute and onwards ...) STILL managed to be one of 25 releases only in the 2015 Top 40 to reach the 1M mark of copies sold worldwide

Thank you.

RH did good and I wonder how much more it would have sold if there was radio support and no leaks. People don't realise how big of a deal is selling 1 million copies of your album today. Excluding Adele or TS, the average popstar barely reaches that mark with MULTIPLE hits, oh and let alone Madonna's peers (Mariah and Janet's last albums sold 300.000 copies, LESS than what RH sold in its first week, crazy). 

24 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

There is a huge difference. Madonna is a worldwide superstar and icon who still makes millions touring and sells albums.   Mariah can't sell even with Lionel Ritchie and is now a laughing stock and Janet just jancels her concerts all the time.  Madonna will always create more interest than other stars and will always be able to attract a record company. She just is with the wrong record company at the moment.  Interscope is hopeless. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XXL    0

In short:

Please let's not CASUALLY lump Madonna with Janet and Mariah just because they share "being older women in the music industry":rotfl:

Nothing worse and more cringe worthy. Not the same work ethic by miles and obviously not the same results by many more miles ... Traditional recording deal or not. Madonna is not lazy or eternally relying on other people / shifting the blame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XXL    0
34 minutes ago, Orion said:

Thank you.

RH did good and I wonder how much more it would have sold if there was radio support and no leaks. People don't realise how big of a deal is selling 1 million copies of your album today. Excluding Adele or TS, the average popstar barely reaches that mark with MULTIPLE hits, oh and let alone Madonna's peers (Mariah and Janet's last albums sold 300.000 copies, LESS than what RH sold in its first week, crazy)

 

Totally :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MerGirl    0

I never got why Interscope would suggest Ariel Pink as someone Madonna should work with to sell more albums. He's not exactly commercial and well known 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ghost Town    0
2 hours ago, Jester said:

I think Madonna signed a 3-albums deal. It is one left and she doesn't seem to hurry to make music. If you think of it in 2014 summer she was writing music, two years after MDNA. It It is been 2,5 years since RH and she seems not interested in making something.

Why bother if no radio plays your newest music or deem you old and irrelevant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XXL    0

If we look strictly at album sales, not singles sales obviously, Madonna hasn't sold much less than younger acts but not as industry recent as an Adele, Bieber, Bruno Mars, One D or Taylor Swift, say a Beyonce or Rihanna, Britney (Gaga? Let's not even go there as it's all the more glaring and unfortunate). She was deemed to be outsold by any new female star and their mothers since ever but in the long run she never really was when you factor in how many years she's been at this for and the newcomers' ever dwindling career trajectory

In the 2010s Madonna has sold 4M copies between S&S, MDNA, MDNA Tour and RH .... How many albums have JLO, Britney, Gwen, Bey, Rhianna sold in the same time .... Exactly

With about a zillion billion more airplay. Also I don't understand why Madonna is expected to outdo Taylor Swift or Beyonce without the similar radio treatment? Or why does she have to measure up against them to begin with to be worthy of something?? Nobody in the media ever mentions how U2 and Bon Jovi haven't been selling like Justin Timberlake (mid 2000s JT perhaps because his overall sales don't equally hold a candle to Madonna's this decade or the previous one) or Bieber and how Madonna sells shitloads more than U2, on top of being one of a handful of their PEERS touring wise, the only female, albeit without forcing her music on anyone's iTunes list like they instead do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tuckeye    0

who is this nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mnino    0
3 hours ago, V.K said:

http://www.stereogum.com/1953660/qa-ariel-pink-on-trump-madonna-his-new-album-dedicated-to-bobby-jameson/franchises/interview/

 

STEREOGUM: Was that a direct response to the press you got leading up to pom pom? It seemed like every interview you did was more controversial than the last.

ARIEL PINK: Yeah. I got the Donald Trump treatment before Donald Trump. I could’ve warned him. The very first interview I did, an Australian interview at the top of the campaign, set the mood. That guy just had daggers in his sights, and I hadn’t even settled into the groove of doing the campaign for the record, and it was very alarming, very obnoxious and very destabilizing, especially at my age. I’m not Hitler. I’m not a Nazi. I’m a harmless lover of things. And I love Madonna too! Way to ruin my chances with that lady. She’s so great! She’s had greater success and a greater string of memorable hits that I like personally than almost any of my favorite artists, and yet here I am, people saying that I’m throwing her under the bus. I was paraphrasing what the label said to me. People think that I was saying those things. Interscope came to me saying her last record didn’t do too well, she had her Avicii, she had all these things she wanted but there weren’t any songs there, so that’s why they were looking for writers. I was paraphrasing why they would hire somebody like me for somebody like her. So those aren’t things that I feel about her — the stripper pole shit or whatever — those aren’t my feelings. I want to work with Madonna! They were just looking at songwriters, so the next record could do better than her last one. That’s all it was. And people take it as my opinions that are valid; that’s not even my opinion!

STEREOGUM: Well it didn’t end with Madonna; there were lots of choice moments that people latched onto. You were sort of branded as a troll.

ARIEL PINK: Yeah, because I was responding to people completely misrepresenting me, and that was like a witch hunt. I felt persecuted. I don’t know how you would feel, if people said that you were a mansplaining men’s rights activist. What if they said that about you? And all the feminists in the world basically came out and started getting on your case. So they would go after you, and you would basically try to downplay it as much as possible but they’re just not letting you because they’re saying you’re just fucking wrong, dude. It’s a perversion of whatever it is that they projected onto me.

STEREOGUM: So you’re saying that your statements were taken out of context and twisted?

ARIEL PINK: Yeah. Like when I say Grimes is stupid for saying that Ariel’s characterization of Madonna is a perfect example of the misogyny that’s in the business today. Making me, again, an adversary, when I have nothing but great respect for both Grimes and Madonna. The headline was “Grimes Is Stupid” because I “hate women.” It backs up my hatred of women and of Madonna. So you see how it’s just willful blindness on the part of everyone.

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nikki said:

I FUCKING HATE INTERSCOPE

they do all this shit behind her back (calling djs/songwriters)

Really sad how she lost the control of her career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeakMaker    0
53 minutes ago, XXL said:

If we look strictly at album sales, not singles sales obviously, Madonna hasn't sold much less than younger acts but not as industry recent as an Adele, Bieber, Bruno Mars, One D or Taylor Swift, say a Beyonce or Rihanna, Britney (Gaga? Let's not even go there as it's all the more glaring and unfortunate). She was deemed to be outsold by any new female star and their mothers since ever but in the long run she never really was when you factor in how many years she's been at this for and the newcomers' ever dwindling career trajectory

In the 2010s Madonna has sold 4M copies between S&S, MDNA, MDNA Tour and RH .... How many albums have JLO, Britney, Gwen, Bey, Rhianna sold in the same time .... Exactly

With about a zillion billion more airplay. Also I don't understand why Madonna is expected to outdo Taylor Swift or Beyonce without the similar radio treatment? Or why does she have to measure up against them to begin with to be worthy of something?? Nobody in the media ever mentions how U2 and Bon Jovi haven't been selling like Justin Timberlake (in the mid 2000s perhaps) or Bieber and how Madonna sells shitloads more than U2, and without forcing it on anyone's iTunes list

:clap::clap::clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brasileiro    0

She needs to start from zero. Her team is stale and her inspiration needs a kick.

There will always be an audience for her but it is dissapointing to see her without the precision of the past. All seems messy and (shocking...!) uneventful.

People like Beyonce, Rihanna, Katy Perry... even Gaga seem more focused when releasing their stuff.  Their PR works much better than hers somehow.

To witness another RH era-like will for the first time make me wonder if she should just call it quit.  I also know that deep inside there is no one like her and she will come back with another sound that kills it 💥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XXL    0
4 hours ago, Nikki said:

I FUCKING HATE INTERSCOPE

they do all this shit behind her back (calling djs/songwriters)

 

There have been obviously consequences to Madonna not being on a traditional recording deal anymore, the more glaring one is radio completely dropping her new material post Celebration and the inadequate timing, in store promotion quality etc but thinking Interscope actually called this Ariel guy and trashed Madonna would be assuming he is necessarily telling the truth without a shred of proof

And of course there is the other aspect to all of this, he's getting attention by simply mentioning Madonna, for the second time to be exact. As fans we should not automatically take this guy at face value simply because we might at times have legitimate criticism and concerns about Madonna's career and the handling of her legacy. Be it for Interscope, Live Nation or Madonna's management. That's all I mean

Regardless of our own take of his words or of our views about Interscope he's out to get a lot of mileage off Madonna and he's obviously getting it and probably loving it. I don't trust him more than I trust Interscope :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spotlight    0
2 hours ago, XXL said:

In those two cases in particular being an older woman has got nothing to do with their respective career situations. First of all they are 12 and 8 years Madonna junior but haven't enjoyed a fruitful career in well over decade, not on the charts, not anywhere else. Which basically means they haven't had any chart success since their early to mid 30s. Their approach to work is completely .... different shall we say

Madonna has dominated the charts throughout all her 30s and 40s and has generally slayed as long as she was supported by radio and as long as she was on a traditional recording deal. Something that she has sustained with the same recording house for a quarter of a century which is something neither Janet nor Mariah can exactly boast about, in that it is something that must be worked for and deserved, whereas the nature of their ever shifting companies and contracts depended more on other people's efforts and personal affiliation rather than their own merits or actual contribution.

We can discuss all we want about Madonna needing to return to a traditional recording deal but the fact remains that it was an arrangement of her own choosing and as long as she was with WB she more than worked her butt off in promotion as much as creation, radio would still play her and she still more than managed with the charts till 51. She focused more on the tour and Superbowl with MDNA but still found the time to film three lovely videos and with RH well, needles to say she went all the way with album promotion too

Anyone who actually believes that Interscope who only has a distribution deal with Madonna and Live Nation to begin with felt the need to go to this little guy to bitch about RH sales is seriously naive. As if ....

An anyway, an album that in spite of the leaks, in spite of a poorly veiled media campaign about Madonna being irrelevant, unworthy or desperate (not even her claim of the #4 tour of 2015-2016 / #1 arena tour placated their pathological need to diminish her and they had their first fresh opportunity with the Prince tribute and onwards ...) STILL managed to be one of 25 releases only in the 2015 Top 40 to reach the 1M (or close) mark of copies sold worldwide is a fact that never gets stated enough

 

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 hour ago, XXL said:

If we look strictly at album sales, not singles sales obviously, Madonna hasn't sold much less than younger acts but not as industry recent as an Adele, Bieber, Bruno Mars, One D or Taylor Swift, say a Beyonce or Rihanna, Britney (Gaga? Let's not even go there as it's all the more glaring and unfortunate). She was deemed to be outsold by any new female star and their mothers since ever but in the long run she never really was when you factor in how many years she's been at this for and the newcomers' ever dwindling career trajectory

In the 2010s Madonna has sold 4M copies between S&S, MDNA, MDNA Tour and RH .... How many albums have JLO, Britney, Gwen, Bey, Rhianna sold in the same time .... Exactly

With about a zillion billion more airplay. Also I don't understand why Madonna is expected to outdo Taylor Swift or Beyonce without the similar radio treatment? Or why does she have to measure up against them to begin with to be worthy of something?? Nobody in the media ever mentions how U2 and Bon Jovi haven't been selling like Justin Timberlake (in the mid 2000s perhaps) or Bieber and how Madonna sells shitloads more than U2, and without forcing it on anyone's iTunes list

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pedro    0

I think the really important issue (besides the unfair treatment in her record deal) is: 

Wasn't Madonna in fully and independently in charge of her creative output? 

Why do the distribution company has a say in finding writers?

Why do they judge the creative work? 

If they do why don't they have a quality control then on mastering issues? 

That makes no sense to me... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vocalism    0
3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

There is a huge difference. Madonna is a worldwide superstar and icon who still makes millions touring and sells albums.   Mariah can't sell even with Lionel Ritchie and is now a laughing stock and Janet just jancels her concerts all the time.  Madonna will always create more interest than other stars and will always be able to attract a record company. She just is with the wrong record company at the moment.  Interscope is hopeless. 

 

3 hours ago, XXL said:

In those two cases in particular being an older woman has got nothing to do with their respective career situations. First of all they are 12 and 8 years Madonna junior but haven't enjoyed a fruitful career in well over decade, not on the charts, not anywhere else. Which basically means they haven't had any chart success since their early to mid 30s. Their approach to work is completely .... different shall we say

Madonna has dominated the charts throughout all her 30s and 40s and has generally slayed as long as she was supported by radio and as long as she was on a traditional recording deal. Something that she has sustained with the same recording house for a quarter of a century which is something neither Janet nor Mariah can exactly boast about, in that it is something that must be worked for and deserved, whereas the nature of their ever shifting companies and contracts depended more on other people's efforts and personal affiliation rather than their own merits or actual contribution.

We can discuss all we want about Madonna needing to return to a traditional recording deal but the fact remains that it was an arrangement of her own choosing and as long as she was with WB she more than worked her butt off in promotion as much as creation, radio would still play her and she still more than managed with the charts till 51. She focused more on the tour and Superbowl with MDNA but still found the time to film three lovely videos and with RH well, needles to say she went all the way with album promotion too

Anyone who actually believes that Interscope who only has a distribution deal with Madonna and Live Nation to begin with felt the need to go to this little guy to bitch about RH sales is seriously naive. As if ....

An anyway, an album that in spite of the leaks, in spite of a poorly veiled media campaign about Madonna being irrelevant, unworthy or desperate (not even her claim of the #4 tour of 2015-2016 / #1 arena tour placated their pathological need to diminish her and they had their first fresh opportunity with the Prince tribute and onwards ...) STILL managed to be one of 25 releases only in the 2015 Top 40 to reach the 1M (or close) mark of copies sold worldwide is a fact that never gets stated enough

 

3 hours ago, XXL said:

In short:

Please let's not CASUALLY lump Madonna with Janet and Mariah just because they share "being older women in the music industry":rotfl:

Nothing worse and more cringe worthy. Not the same work ethic by miles and obviously not the same results by many more miles ... Traditional recording deal or not. Madonna is not lazy or eternally relying on other people / shifting the blame

EYE ROLL. I knew even mentioning another female artist would send you all clutching your pearls. I used them as examples because THEY HAVE JUMPED FROM ONE LABEL TO ANOTHER (and, in Janet's case, her "own" label), NOT BECAUSE THEIR CAREERS ARE THE SAME. If Britney Spears or Cher were doing the same thing, I would have mentioned them. My point is that it doesn't matter what label Madonna moves to. Interscope is NOT the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orion    0
2 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

536644_600.gif

:chuckle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VogueMusic    0
5 hours ago, V.K said:

http://www.stereogum.com/1953660/qa-ariel-pink-on-trump-madonna-his-new-album-dedicated-to-bobby-jameson/franchises/interview/

 

STEREOGUM: Was that a direct response to the press you got leading up to pom pom? It seemed like every interview you did was more controversial than the last.

ARIEL PINK: Yeah. I got the Donald Trump treatment before Donald Trump. I could’ve warned him. The very first interview I did, an Australian interview at the top of the campaign, set the mood. That guy just had daggers in his sights, and I hadn’t even settled into the groove of doing the campaign for the record, and it was very alarming, very obnoxious and very destabilizing, especially at my age. I’m not Hitler. I’m not a Nazi. I’m a harmless lover of things. And I love Madonna too! Way to ruin my chances with that lady. She’s so great! She’s had greater success and a greater string of memorable hits that I like personally than almost any of my favorite artists, and yet here I am, people saying that I’m throwing her under the bus. I was paraphrasing what the label said to me. People think that I was saying those things. Interscope came to me saying her last record didn’t do too well, she had her Avicii, she had all these things she wanted but there weren’t any songs there, so that’s why they were looking for writers. I was paraphrasing why they would hire somebody like me for somebody like her. So those aren’t things that I feel about her — the stripper pole shit or whatever — those aren’t my feelings. I want to work with Madonna! They were just looking at songwriters, so the next record could do better than her last one. That’s all it was. And people take it as my opinions that are valid; that’s not even my opinion!

STEREOGUM: Well it didn’t end with Madonna; there were lots of choice moments that people latched onto. You were sort of branded as a troll.

ARIEL PINK: Yeah, because I was responding to people completely misrepresenting me, and that was like a witch hunt. I felt persecuted. I don’t know how you would feel, if people said that you were a mansplaining men’s rights activist. What if they said that about you? And all the feminists in the world basically came out and started getting on your case. So they would go after you, and you would basically try to downplay it as much as possible but they’re just not letting you because they’re saying you’re just fucking wrong, dude. It’s a perversion of whatever it is that they projected onto me.

STEREOGUM: So you’re saying that your statements were taken out of context and twisted?

ARIEL PINK: Yeah. Like when I say Grimes is stupid for saying that Ariel’s characterization of Madonna is a perfect example of the misogyny that’s in the business today. Making me, again, an adversary, when I have nothing but great respect for both Grimes and Madonna. The headline was “Grimes Is Stupid” because I “hate women.” It backs up my hatred of women and of Madonna. So you see how it’s just willful blindness on the part of everyone.

536644_600.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×