PETA sue for copyright for monkey 'selfie'

So a photographer set up his equipment to try and get animals to trigger some pictures and one monkey took this picture. However, because the monkey took the image, not the photographer, he supposedly owns the copyright according to US law and PETA are now suing to make sure he gets the royalties not the photographer!

There was this idiot PETA representative on a UK chat show on Sunday whining on about the animals' rights.

So embarrassing. I know PETA have been criticised before but this just made me despair for America.

monkey-selfie.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/22/monkey-selfies-copyright-lawsuit-peta

I think most people are against animal cruelty (even though yes as a carnivore to my core so I sometimes wonder if even saying that makes me a total hypocrite.) But PETA just takes it too damn far.  

in my young career, I really have seen some ridicolous trials,

but this one is may be the biggest worst ridicolous one. A organisation is sueing in the name of an animal. Animals dont have copyrights thank god to our legal system and we dont see such joke trials.

So annoying. There is so much barbaric and sickening cruelty to animals worldwide that should be exposed and stopped and they are trivialising the issue with this monkey selfie nonsense.  Cruelty to animals is never taken seriously enough and we should be speaking up for them as they don't have a voice.  The last thing needed is stupid crazy talk like this as people then don't take the real issues seriously which are truly horrific and wrong. 

16 hours ago, Pedro said:

And who is going to handle the monkey's bank account... PETA??? 

And how will they find the monkey to give him his royalties... Sometimes I just wonder why those ppl put so much effort in such a stupidity while there are so many horrible things that happen to both animals and ppl.

34 minutes ago, elijah said:

And how will they find the monkey to give him his royalties... Sometimes I just wonder why those ppl put so much effort in such a stupidity while there are so many horrible things that happen to both animals and ppl.

Exactly. It is like they are sabotaging their own cause and beliefs on purpose for some crazy reason. It infuriates me as people are then suspicious of brave people truly fighting to end animal cruelty and trying to save endangered animals. Like Cultural appropriation fanatics who hate someone wearing their hair a certain way instead of talking about real dreadful racism or those idiots in Jezebel who attack other women instead of wanting equality.  They do so much harm to the true causes. 

6 hours ago, elijah said:

Exactly, not only it detracts from their already "questionable" actions and means and make their intentions shady, but also detracts from other more truthful and honest organizations that are really trying to get the work done. 

6 hours ago, karbatal said:

The monkey will manage his money and will start working in the jungle 

:chuckle:

He's opening a bar called: I'm going bananas 🍌🍌🍌

On 7/25/2017 at 10:58 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

So annoying. There is so much barbaric and sickening cruelty to animals worldwide that should be exposed and stopped and they are trivialising the issue with this monkey selfie nonsense.  Cruelty to animals is never taken seriously enough and we should be speaking up for them as they don't have a voice.  The last thing needed is stupid crazy talk like this as people then don't take the real issues seriously which are truly horrific and wrong. 

This.

10 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Exactly. It is like they are sabotaging their own cause and beliefs on purpose for some crazy reason. It infuriates me as people are then suspicious of brave people truly fighting to end animal cruelty and trying to save endangered animals. Like Cultural appropriation fanatics who hate someone wearing their hair a certain way instead of talking about real dreadful racism or those idiots in Jezebel who attack other women instead of wanting equality.  They do so much harm to the true causes. 

And this.