MadonnaNation.com Forums
Shane

NPR's 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women [merged]

mnino    0

Madonna in the Top 20 with LAP while Bluff-yonce NeverPregnant Knowles Carter scores a #6 with her LemonKoolAid.

And Jancel at #17 above Bjork, Tina and Tracy Chapman?

tenor.gif

Jazzy Jan    0

While I don't agree with the rankings at all, this is very interesting and diverse list that includes so many genres.  Love the write ups that I have read too. 

Jazzy Jan    0
4 minutes ago, mnino said:

Madonna in the Top 20 with LAP while Bluff-yonce NeverPregnant Knowles Carter scores a #6 with her LemonKoolAid.

And Jancel at #17 above Bjork, Tina and Tracy Chapman?

tenor.gif

The order and rankings are dreadful but the list itself is interesting.  Many dreadful omissions as well but some great inclusions.  They hardly featured multiple albums by anyone so glad that Madonna had more than one album. She deserves every accolade possible. 

Shane    0

Yes, I think they overreached with a few of the newer titles.  Not in terms of what they selected, but as far as how HIGH they put them.  

Some general thoughts:

1. Read the introduction by Ann Powers. It's long but very significant in outlining WHY they undertook this project.  She calls out Rolling Stone, Pitchfork etc. for the fact that these "greatest of all time" lists are always so male-centered.

2. Interesting that they went with LAP and LAV instead of LAP and ROL as is customary.  However, I personally am thrilled to see LAV get some list love over self-titled which is always fawned about the most as far as her first three albums.

3. Thrilled to see Tracy Chapman and Kate Bush so high.

4. Thrilled to see Siouxsie and the Banshees recognized.

5. LOVE that Stevie Nicks is featured with Bella Donna as well as Rumours.

6. Very pleased with number one.

Ugly Hecty    0

Shockingly no Ray Of Light, but Like A Virgin appears! Compiled by nearly 50 women from across NPR and the public radio system and produced in partnership with Lincoln Center, it rethinks popular music to put women at the center.

• 63. Madonna - Like a Virgin (Sire, 1984)

Her self-titled debut, in 1983, had been MadonnaLouise Ciccone's declaration, of sorts. She would one day be a household name  and just one name, thank you, would be plenty. But it was the follow-up album Madonna released, Like a Virgin, that made that a reality. Co-produced with Nile Rodgers, its buoyant, confectionery dance-pop glossed with a modern, new wave sheen helped usher in the golden age of MTV, an era that still feels defined by her ecstatic writhing, wrapped in acres of bridal tulle, dangling crucifixes, and rubber bracelets, on the stage of the first VMAs two months before the full album's release. She went on to show savvy, intuitive mastery of the new form (and marketing platform) to build a dazzling, ever-shapeshifting 360-degree persona  sound, image, art, text  which she manipulated with an iron fist clad in a fingerless lace glove. Like a Virgin, and all that came with it, made it clear that there would never be a pop music landscape without the impact and influence of Madonna again  and it made it hard to imagine how there had even been one without her in the first place. —Alison Fensterstock (Contributor)

Top 20:

• 20. The Ronettes, Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes featuring Veronica 
  • 19. Selena, Amor Prohibido
  • 18. Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
  • 17. Janet Jackson, Control
  • 16. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
  • 15. Diana Ross and the Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go
  • 14. Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston
  • 13. Madonna, Like a Prayer
  • 12. Erykah Badu, Baduizm
  • 11. Dolly Parton, Coat of Many Colors
  • 10. Carole King, Tapestry
  • 09. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
  • 08. Janis Joplin, Pearl
  • 07. Patti Smith, Horses
  • 06. Beyonce, Lemonade
  • 05. Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly
  • 04. Aretha Franklin, I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You
  • 03. Nina Simone, I Put a Spell on You
  • 02. Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
  • 01. Joni Mitchell, Blue

Write-up on Like A Prayer:

In 1989, AIDS was ravaging cities everywhere, particularly New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco. The Supreme Court had begun to chip away at abortion rights. Activists were handing out condoms in the streets and fighting the indifference of the Reagan Administration, which instead supported the abstinence-only policies of fundamentalist Christians and the Catholic Church. Madonna's album Like A Prayer, released that same year, daringly takes on the struggles of a generation that refused to accept spirituality without sensuality. Through interweaving gospel, funk, soul and pop, the album's songs raise questions about religion, sexuality, gender equality and interdependence. For one thing, the title song opens with a few seconds of a hard rock guitar that stop abruptly and make way for a gospel choir and an organ. The lyrics suggest a girl who might experience God as a lover  or is it a girl who loves a man as if he is God? While "Oh Father" was in many ways about Madonna's own father, it goes beyond her relationship with him and instead alludes to someone who abuses power. And when all those activists weren't agitating in the streets they were dancing to "Keep It Together," Madonna's tribute to her family. While most critics saw this as the album where Madonna went from bubblegum pop to true artistry, that wasn't the only thing she did with Like a Prayer. With this album she also led the way for a new generation top female pop stars to express themselves. Laura Sydell (NPR Staff)

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/20/538317263/turning-the-tables-150-greatest-albums-made-by-women-page-14

Chimera    0

Any list that ranks that stupid Lemon above other real WONDERFUL albums is a self destruct for me.

Orion    0

LAP and LAV should have been #1 and #2 TBH :laugh: 

Beyonce at #6 :lmao: they could at least have chosen ST or 4 instead of that Lemonade trash. 

Happy they included Ofra Haza and The Bangles. 

Orion    0
2 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Any list that ranks that stupid Lemon above other real WONDERFUL albums is a self destruct for me.

Hi Chimera! welcome back! 

Nikki    0

no ray of light says it all

lemonade? the album that had 50 writers/producers and all those samples? seriously? if that were a madonna album it wouldnt be on the list

Orion    0

What's Beyonce doing among all those legends in the top 10? 

Put Like a Prayer in there and the list is valid. 

This Beyonka asslicking needs to stop, she's shit. 

Orion    0
1 minute ago, Nikki said:

no ray of light says it all

lemonade? the album that had 50 writers/producers and all those samples? seriously? if that were a madonna album it wouldnt be on the list

This. 

vocalism    0

Lemonade, Back to Black and Supa Dupa Fly (love Missy but...) are all way too high. I get why LAV is on the list, but not if ROL and Erotica are MIA.

sotos8    0

Fail list ,Madonna should be Top 10 or even Top 3 .Lemonade?? what's wrong with these people? ROL ,TB ,MUSIC ,COAD should all be in that list

Orion    0

Madonna's 14 studio albums should have occupied the entire top 14. 

Jester    0

Wow at Bianka, I liked her Lemonade, but not #6 all time. She is not Jesus. Good news this list is about taste, it has no Lady Discount:lol2:

Skin    0

No Ray of Light?  Flop list. 

dollhouse    0
5 minutes ago, Orion said:

Madonna's 14 studio albums should have occupied the entire top 14. 

+1

That was a beautiful write up about the album. Deserved to be in the top 5 tho. 

Lemonade at #6 is a fucking travesty. And this is coming from someone who likes that album. But, c'mon. It's embarrassing how these publications trip over themselves to see who can out praise Beyonce'. I've just fucking had it with this notion that's she's untouchable and that everything she releases is pure gold. Enough is enough.  

Orion    0

At least there's no Gags :chuckle:

Hector    0

5 years from now Lemonade won't be ranking so damn high or at all on these critics lists.

IsaacHarris    0
23 minutes ago, Jester said:

Wow at Bianka, I liked her Lemonade, but not #6 all time. She is not Jesus.

Your right. She IS God though :lemon:

IsaacHarris    0

I'm glad that Beyoncé is on the list, but who would EVER rank Lemonade higher than B'Day?

Blasphemous!