10. Love Tried To Welcome Me
11. In This Life
12. Oh Father
13. Rain
14. Promise to Try

This would've been PERFECT. 

Lolo    0
1 hour ago, vocalism said:

My theory has always been that BS was one of M's favorite tracks (Bjork was the reason she wanted to work with Nellee Hooper and she obviously went on to pursue that sound far more than the R&B of the rest of the album), and after the huge success of TAB I think she felt the confidence to try to push BS. Why they didn't go for FL right after is a mystery. My sub-theory has always been that after BS flopped in the U.S. she was like "Fuck you" and released HN. All great singles, but FL (and DS) would have probably done better in the U.S.! 

Yes, I always had the impression she was already over the R&B vibes by the time the album got released. You could tell the Nellee Hooper/Björk sound was more up her alley. It felt more natural, don't know why. Maybe because of her dance oriented origins, also musically. 

mnino    0
On 7/24/2017 at 11:22 AM, acko said:

01. I Want You
02. I'll Remember
03. Take a Bow
04. You'll See
05. Crazy for You
06. This used to be my playground
07. The Look of Love
07. Live to tell
08. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
09. Something to Remember
10. Love Tried To Welcome Me
11. In This Life
12. Oh Father
13. Rain
14. Promise to Try

I would swap it with Bad Girl and add Spanish Eyes between LDLHA and STR. 

tasteinmen    0

Does nobody else hear the end of Dear Jessie at the beginning of Oh Father? 

jonski43    0

The period between 92 - to 95 is my second favourite after 84 - 85. 

I call it the Miamidonna era from the SEX shoot through to the beautiful Versace shoots. The music, videos, remixes, photoshoots etc were all stunning and this era rounded it off perfectly.

Personally, I would have dropped the re-release of CFY and OF. I like One More Chance and don't get the hate for it. A simple video would have really helped that song. Shame about IWY being dropped from release and yes, I agree about the 12" of LDLHA - great remixes and potentially beautifully cover. 

cjc    0
1 hour ago, tasteinmen said:

Does nobody else hear the end of Dear Jessie at the beginning of Oh Father? 

Yes. It is annoying. I have a 1 track US promo of Oh Father without Dear Jessie at the beginning but it is edited a little towards the end too.

S.E.X.    0
On 23.7.2017 at 2:47 PM, Illuminati said:

My favourite M compilation.

I think "Love Tried To Welcome Me" could've been included instead of "Forbidden Love".

I think Forbidden Love was only included because it was originally going to be the b-side of I Want You after it got cancelled as fifth single from BS. Sadly, that didn't happen although it should have happened. :( That's the only truly annoying thing about the STR era. 

MrK1ngB33    0

Knowing madonna she treats some of her songs like bad children if they don't perform up to standards which is why I think she left off Bad Girl which totally deserved to be on this compilation.  Also the look of love would have fit great as well. 

S.E.X.    0

I would also change te tracklist a little. First of all, Warner should have come to an agreement with Motown over the I Want You single. The tracklists:

7" Single:

01. I Want You [Edit]
02. Forbidden Love

12" Single:

01. I Want You 
02. I Want You [Club Mix]

03. Forbidden Love
04. I Want You [Orchestral]

CD Single:

01. I Want You 

02. Forbidden Love

03. I Want You [Orchestral]

Remix EP

Then, the album tracklist would have been the following:

01. I Want You
02. I'll Remember 
03. You'll See
04. Spanish Eyes
05. Crazy for You
06. This Used to Be My Playground [Solid Gold Edit]
07. Oh Father
08. Live to Tell
09. Bad Girl
10. Something to Remember 
11. Love Don't Live Here Anymore 
12. Love Tried to Welcome Me
13. One More Chance
14. Rain
15. Take a Bow

One More Chance was actually recorded in Spanish some years later by Mexican Pop Act Sentidos Opuestos *Eugenio Derbez's wife* and released in their album

S.E.X.    0
4 hours ago, realityisalways said:

One More Chance was actually recorded in Spanish some years later by Mexican Pop Act Sentidos Opuestos *Eugenio Derbez's wife* and released in their album

Makes me wonder if the guy that translated You'll See into Veras also did One More Chance in advance.

Morrigan    0
9 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

This would've been PERFECT. 

Promise to Try as finale would be so atmospheric. 

Trent    0

It truly is a beautiful compilation. I wish I Want You had the single treatment it deserved.

Shane    0

One of the rare compilations (by any artist) that holds together as an album.

Gus    0
On 26/7/2017 at 0:59 AM, S.E.X. said:

Makes me wonder if the guy that translated You'll See into Veras also did One More Chance in advance.

Veras was adapted by Paz Martinez and OMC by Donato Poveda.

tuckeye    0

i never liked the you'll see single cover...but..now i think it holds up well..it's a beautiful shot.

LHakaLH    0

Spanish Eyes, Promise To Try, In This Life, Bad Girl and The Look of Love should've been included as well. It was weird to add Forbidden Love specially as it was in talks to be the final single from BS (rumor has it they even shot a video) but said release got scrapped in favor of STR..Which ironically includes Forbidden Love. Other than that, lovely album, lovely look and lovely era.

Rugbyguy    0

Was Something to Remember considered a greatest hits compilation or a best of her ballads compilation. I always considered it the former but based on some of your comments it's seems like it could of been a best of.

S.E.X.    0
2 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Was Something to Remember considered a greatest hits compilation or a best of her ballads compilation. I always considered it the former but based on some of your comments it's seems like it could of been a best of.

It was a "Best of Ballads" compilation. It doesn't focus on hits but on her "finest vocal moments". It's purely coincidental that a lot of her ballads were also among her biggest hits. Another purpose of this compilation was to have all the soundtrack ballads on a Madonna release. This was also the first time This Used to Be My Playground was available on an album other than the weird Barcelona Gold album. It was not included on the Soundtrack of A League of Their Own.

Gambler    0

Something to Remember set a trend for ballad compilations. As awlays, Madonna was in the lead.

And yes the lovely "The Look of Love" should have been there. ♥

On 7/25/2017 at 4:59 PM, jonski43 said:

The period between 92 - to 95 is my second favourite after 84 - 85. 

I call it the Miamidonna era from the SEX shoot through to the beautiful Versace shoots. The music, videos, remixes, photoshoots etc were all stunning and this era rounded it off perfectly.

Personally, I would have dropped the re-release of CFY and OF. I like One More Chance and don't get the hate for it. A simple video would have really helped that song. Shame about IWY being dropped from release and yes, I agree about the 12" of LDLHA - great remixes and potentially beautifully cover. 

I feel like 94-96 doesn't get the credit from fans that it deserves. It's hands-down the most experimental era of her career. She was clearly lost artistically, and -- instead of choosing one path forward after the "SEX" backlash -- she chose to try a little of everything.

The straight pop brilliance of "I'll Remember," soft ("Take a Bow") and hard ("Secret") R&B, electronica ("Bedtime Story"), strong hip hop influence ("Human Nature"), trip hop ("I Want You"), an acoustic Spanish ballad ("You'll See"), and a full-on classic musical -- she proved she could do it ALL these few years. Such an incredible artist.

i became a fan of her during 1994-1996 as it suited my experimental vibe as a teenager and eventually as an artist in my own right. i agree it is underrated. but it will forever be part of what inspired me to be an artist! 1997-2001 was icing.

there was actually a recent article about how bedtime stories is her most influential album. for me it was. the whole chill, atmospheric vibe was what attracted me to Madonna. and now it's EVERYWHERE. i  wish i could find the article! its definitely not a popular POV but for me it makes sense. Madonna the musician is what resonates with me. Not the pop star.

Nick    0
19 hours ago, material_boy said:

IThe straight pop brilliance of "I'll Remember," soft ("Take a Bow") and hard ("Secret") R&B, electronica ("Bedtime Story"), strong hip hop influence ("Human Nature"), trip hop ("I Want You"), an acoustic Spanish ballad ("You'll See"), and a full-on classic musical -- she proved she could do it ALL these few years. Such an incredible artist.

And many of the music videos that were filmed during this time period are top notch and very artistic. Was just watching all her nineties videos a few days back. They're still extremely impressive and timeless...

Cody Banks    0

After being her first single in FOREVER not to go Top 20, I think she purposely skipped it.

My favourite thing about the project was the title, drawing attention to that beautiful, sad, moving track