MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

MADONNA REWIND: The "Something To Remember" era

You know I was listening to the Something To Remember album the other day from start to finish on a long car journey and it took me right back to that era. 

1. Such a well constructed and sequenced album. Apart from one ("Spanish Eyes") or possibly two ("The Look Of Love") glaring omissions, the tracklisting is virtually perfectionata. 

2. Wonderful artwork and visuals. Okay, so "You'll See" was essentially "Take A Bow" part 2 but the world was still thirsty for that storyline and let's not forget that in some markets (the UK for instance), "You'll See" was a far bigger hit than "Take a Bow". 

3. I know people make fun of the LDLHA video but because I'm in that mood I watched the video again and actually it's lovely. 

4. Still not sure the world needed "Oh Father" 1996, but hey ho. 

5. "One More Chance" would have been a UK Top 10 hit if she had shot a video. 

So let's tawk. 

Such a beautiful album.   Unlike other artists whose ballads are often over blown or middle of the road, Madonna's are lush, emotional and gorgeous.  You'll See is possibly the best break up song ever as is triumphant, strong and true.  Also perfect vocals and a song that the GP also loved.  Plus the video was magnificent. Was a success as a sequel video too and the visuals were perfect, especially the Autumn scenes. 

I would possibly add Promise to try but mainly because it is such a touching song and one of my personal favourites.  It is the best ballad collection of all time in my view. 

It's interesting she went rnb with BS and ballads with this. And they were all huge WW success.

26 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Such a beautiful album.   Unlike other artists whose ballads are often over blown or middle of the road, Madonna's are lush, emotional and gorgeous.  You'll See is possibly the best break up song ever as is triumphant, strong and true.  Also perfect vocals and a song that the GP also loved.  Plus the video was magnificent. Was a success as a sequel video too and the visuals were perfect, especially the Autumn scenes. 

I would possibly add Promise to try but mainly because it is such a touching song and one of my personal favourites.  It is the best ballad collection of all time in my view. 

Promise To Try! Yes, and maybe even Inside Of Me. 

The track I really enjoy at the moment is Something To Remember itself. I wonder how it would have done if it had been released with a lush video as a follow-up to Vogue at the height of BAT/Breathless mania. 

Her best GH album and one of her best albums ever in general. 

OMC is a shit stain in her resume..and i don't know why Forbidden Love is there.

Continue :fag:

Apparently she was going to name it The Sleeping Pill.. very mid 90s easy listening feel, but a nice selection nonetheless. The sublime but criminally forgotten I'll Remember is there. And she looked beautiful and sophisticated during that era.

20 minutes ago, acko said:

OMC is a shit stain in her resume..and i don't know why Forbidden Love is there.

Continue :fag:

:lmao:

Here is the LAW of the LAND !! ! 

You PLAY with FIRE and you get BURNT ! 

I'll Remember is The Most Underrated Song In Madonna's Discography

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

This.

Plus Secret.

'I Want You' should've been the first single, she had a video for it and even some Junior Vasquez remixes were floating about. 

Wasnt there an issue with releasing it from Marvin Gayes legal team or something? 

The Look of Love should've been on there instead of that orchestral version of I Want You but that's my only complaint. 

I was and I'm still mesmerized by I Want You...  :bow:

I agree that FL was a little odd in that "softer" song selection. 

My favourite M compilation.

I think "Love Tried To Welcome Me" could've been included instead of "Forbidden Love".

1 hour ago, LVX said:

The Look of Love should've been on there instead of that orchestral version of I Want You but that's my only complaint. 

This.

I absolutely adore this album. It's so lush and comforting and it's beatifully sequenced. 

This album was released in November so it always reminds me of the holiday season. I actually put it on when I'm decorating my house for Christmas lol. 

The repeat of I Want You is perplexing. As is One More Chance. Which is kind of like her Hey You of the 90's. But it's still a gorgeous collection nonetheless. 

I think she could've had 2 top 10s off of this album had I Want You been pushed and marketed better. You'll See was a pretty big hit for her so she had the right momentum. I remember hearing it everywhere at the time and it was very well liked by non Madonna fans. My mom and sister STILL love that song. 

17 minutes ago, IsaacHarris said:

The ultimate:

FUCK YES. 

I don't care what anyone says. I LOVE this video. There's some haunting and enchanting about it. And she's so gorgeous here it hurts. 

The fact that this album sold so much is a testament to the fact that Madonna makes amazing ass ballads just as much as she makes amazing dance music.

3 hours ago, Suedehead said:

There is nothing underrated about I'll Remember, it spent 24 weeks on the Hot 100 and was still charting when Secret was released in September '94. It was a huge hit.

Back to the topic at hand, sublime is the perfect way to describe this era. She looked magnificent, she sounded magnificent and she moved a bucketload of units in all major markets. It was very smart of Warners to have this campaign in place whilst she disappeared for 12 months to record and shoot Evita.

Madonna was everywhere during this era. Her appearance at the MTV Awards to collect her Best Female Video trophy was all over the media thanks to her stunning look that night and hilarious run in with Courtney Love. She gave a lot of interviews, print and television. I felt like Something to Remember finally put the Sex backlash to bed and it started to feel like a distant memory finally.

Finally I've always maintained that her image for this era is up there with her best. From the Versace shoot that was used for the album cover and print campaign to the NME cover, You'll See video and MTV Awards appearance it is up there with her best. She looked absolutely fucking stunning. As a fan I felt really proud and really satisfied, she kicked ass.

I think Suedehead meant that's it's underrated in a sense that IR is overlooked when looking back on her Great body of work. Plus in Europe it was a big flop.

1 hour ago, acko said:

I think Suedehead meant that's it's underrated in a sense that IR is overlooked when looking back on her Great body of work. Plus in Europe it was a big flop.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Illuminati said:

My favourite M compilation.

My favorite Madonna compilation as well! Just listened to it again a few days ago. 

3 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

The ultimate:

Always thought this was a fantastic, understated video.

She looked gorgeous too....

8 hours ago, LVX said:

no.