Teens filmed and mocked disabled drowning man in disturbing video

jaron

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40680895?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/teens-disabled-drowning-man-film-mock-laugh-video-florida-pond-jamel-dunn-a7852206.html?cmpid=facebook-post

A 32-year-old man drowned in a lake as a group of teenagers laughed and filmed him, video footage released by police appears to show.

Jamel Dunn, of Cocoa, Florida, died after wading into a fenced off pond following cries for help which went ignored.

Brevard County State Attorney’s office released the video to Florida Today, and said that although the incident was a "tragedy", the young people involved in the video do not appear to have broken any laws.

The teenagers, thought to be aged between 14 and 16, can be heard laughing behind the camera as the father-of-two shouted for help, before he disappeared under water.

One shouted: “Get out the water, you gonna die.” Another can be heard saying: “Ain’t nobody fixing to help you, you dumb b***h.”

Another teen asked his peers if they were “scared to see a dead person” as a scream is heard in the background. Moments later one announced “he just died”, before the rest erupted in laughter. They left the park shortly after without reporting the incident to the authorities.

Yvonne Martinez, spokesperson for Cocoa Police Department, said: “He started to struggle and scream for help and they just laughed. They didn’t call the police. They just laughed the whole time.”

His fiancé had reported Mr Dunn missing, and a family friend notified the police after finding the video online. 

The teens were later identified and questioned by detectives, though it is unlikely they will be charged, given that they were not directly involved in his death. "Good Samaritan" laws cannot be applied to the case, police said.

In a statement released to Florida Today, the State Attorney’s office said they were “deeply saddened and shocked at both the manner in which Mr Dunn lost his life and the actions of the witnesses".

“While the incident depicted on the recording does not give rise to sufficient evidence to support criminal prosecution under Florida statutes, we can find no moral justification for either the behaviour of persons heard on the recording or the deliberate decision not to render aid to Mr Dunn," the statement added.

____________________-

This is absolutley horrible. I have no words

Utterly appalling and heartless.  I wish there was a way these teens could be charged.  This is part of the world at the moment which is so alarming and frightening.  People would rather film things on their mobile phones rather than help.  The fact these sorry excuses for human beings were mocking and laughing at this poor man is chilling.  

Wait what? These pussies of state authorities are seriously saying these people cannot be charged? Isn't there a law in the U.S. like failure to render assistance in case of emergency? No one is asking them to help the guy if they were too afraid to risk their own life or health by getting in the lake themselves. But they could have easily called 911. The least thing they could have done. Instead they decided to film the accident and make horrible remarks about a dying man. "They were not directly involved with his death"? No, they did not push him under water themselves. BUT they did let him die, doing nothing. These guys need to be shamed for their disgusting behavior. I hope Karma is gonna get them big time.

The 16 yo should be punished by law actually. But in the US the youth criminal law must be different to european and also inbetween the US states. At least some arrest should be possible. Will follow this case

May those assholes who stood by watching, laughing while documenting with their fucking phone a person dying get the same if not worse death in the very near future. Zero mercy for assholes, especially laughing teenagers responsible for someone's death while too busy witnessing someone's suffering. Despicable excuse for humans. Who are their parents? From what stinky orifice those pricks came out?? What brought them up, mobile phone apps? Shitty useless in-bred parents by any chance?

Maybe those kind of vicious heartless people instead of being sentenced to a stupid useless jail term where they will do nothing useful and never learn anything good, should be used for scientific research purposes. The same way truly innocent animals like cats, dogs, monkeys, mice, rats, guinea pigs, to mention a few, are used for scientific research or for cosmetic testing.

And can we get rid of this insane mania of documenting everything on a fucking ugly chocolate bar-looking device such as those horrendous stupidphones? (smartphones my ass)

Disgusting, but I'm not surprised. People have less and less humanity. Happily, sooner or later, evolution will rid the planet of the human species. A more intelligent species will replace us.

this one really touched me.. maybe because it represents what I find so disappointing in the world today.. people just not caring about anyone other than themselves or their own agenda (to again, pat themselves on the back)

and what's wrong with the law in the US? these people are not even gonna get a penalty? no jail time? nothing? they're deliberately not helping a disabled man (or any man) out of the water and  are making a mockery out of it. the family of this man has to sue them. i wanna say i feel sorry for the parents, but part of me thinks they're just as bad. did they even send out a message or an apology..anything about visiting the family of the drowned DISABLED man? something? anything?

So damn sick and what a surprise that it happened in Florida! The Good Samaritan laws in the U.S. are flimsy. These rotten kids and their parents need to be named and shamed! Their spawn are sociopaths!

Teens who taunted a disabled man as he drowned and filmed his death were under no legal obligation to help him, experts say 

"Generally, throughout the U.S., there is no duty to rescue"

4 minutes ago, jaron said:

Teens who taunted a disabled man as he drowned and filmed his death were under no legal obligation to help him, experts say 

Makes me sick to the stomach. These teens are heartless, cruel, evil horrors.   They should be thrown in a lake with hungry crocodiles and nobody should lift a finger to help them.  The fact they were mocking him plus laughing at his struggling and death, did nothing and showed no remorse later is beyond disgusting. 

What vile creatures.  How can another human being not only watch, but film and laugh at a dying man crying for help?  Repulsive!!  I'm beyond disgusted.  

25 minutes ago, jaron said:

america the land of the free the home of the brave

17 hours ago, jaron said:

The 16 yo should be punished by law actually. But in the US the youth criminal law must be different to european and also inbetween the US states. At least some arrest should be possible. Will follow this case

It has nothing to do with their age. It's in the article.

It's not that they had to help him, I get it, fear is free. Buy the fact that they had the cold blood to film it and talk and laugh about it....SICK

And they didn't even bother to report it afterwards....GOD

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I hope someone takes care of those worms, like in the good old days.

On Friday, police changed course and said they planned to charge the juveniles with failure to report a death, a misdemeanor charge. Police said it is an obscure law that has not been used.

Very sad and utterly frustrating

Despicable act

We live in a world where in one instance you have to fear the police shooting unarmed people for no reason and in another things like this happening and nobody does anything. Those teenagers must be corrected. Where are the parents in today's society. No doubts more hooked up on those smartphones than their own kids are. Sick times

What are their parents thinking? Are they supporting them? Or despairing at their actions? If I had a child that stood by and let a man drown I can't imagine the anguish and non resolution I'd be feeling.

I hope they get jail time.

I cannot believe something like that actually happened! They just laughed after one of them said 'he is dead'? Then they left and put the video online? I feel sick! Humanity is fucking doomed