MadonnaNation.com Forums

jonski43    0
1 hour ago, nightcutter said:

In-store promos for the Erotica album said "contains Erotica and Bad Girl" so BG was originally the second single.

Wasn't it switched as Erotica failed to get to number one so they went for an uptempo number?

Also, wasn't the Bad Girl video supposedly going to be X-rated but was scrapped because of all the furore surrounding the SEX book?

But no, it never seemed like single material at all. I didn't like until it was released and I saw the video. Since then it's been one of my favourite singles ever!

Erotica and American Life were so similar in eras when they initially underperformed so the record company went mad switching singles, videos and commissioning lots of remixes. It's normally the best time for fans as we get more versions and videos! 

Gus    0
2 hours ago, DagIN said:

To this day it still makes me sad that we never got a video/single for the duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful). It's a damn good song which is quite underrated I feel. Can you imagine a video for this? They both looked so hot during that time and Ricky just scored his first #1 hit. I'm sure Be Careful would have been a worldwide smash for them. I think it was supposed to be a single at some point but I don't know why it never got released. Ricky Martin even included it on his first Greatest Hits Compilation, so he must love it as well. Oh well...another missed opportunity.

Ricky wanted it as the second single and even asked Madonna to film a video but she refused, official excuse was that she had a busy schedule and also the Beautiful Stranger single, but the rumor was that she was still pissed at Tommy Mottola for rushing her to finish the song quickly(Mottola spoke about Madonna storming out of the recording studio angry cause he told her that they had to finish the song that very same day), so Ricky ended up releasing "She's all i ever had" wich peaked at #2 i think...

cjc    0

If the Veronica Electronica project had happened would there have been a new song released as a single to promote the album. Maybe a reworking of one the demos or a brand new song?

Showdown    0
5 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Madonna actually asked the audience at On Stage & On the Record whether the next single (after American Life) should be Hollywood, Mother and Father or Love Profusion.

I think Mother and Father was always a strong single contender. I also know where the Easy Ride rumor came from. It came from MadonnaTribe. I went through their news archive and they were mentioning that official remixes for M&F and Easy Ride have been commissioned but that they don't know whether those were meant for the remix album or for a single.

My guess is that the single was going to be Mother and Father to promote Remixes and Revisited and the remix for Easy Ride was going to be the b-side.

well, remember that there was a planned American Life remix album AFTER Remixed & Revisted during the tour. what i think happened was that they had searched the archives, commissioned remixes (remember Nevins had remixed Bedtime Story and there were several other oldies being remixed as well) for the box set but when that got cancelled they didnt wanna waste some of it so they tacked Your Honesty on R&R along with some mixes and probably planned to release more AL mixes during the tour and used some photos for Nobody Knows Me magazine. my theory anyway. it was too weird how all of a sudden stuff started getting randomly released.

Rugbyguy    0
17 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Wasn't it switched as Erotica failed to get to number one so they went for an uptempo number?

Also, wasn't the Bad Girl video supposedly going to be X-rated but was scrapped because of all the furore surrounding the SEX book?

But no, it never seemed like single material at all. I didn't like until it was released and I saw the video. Since then it's been one of my favourite singles ever!

Erotica and American Life were so similar in eras when they initially underperformed so the record company went mad switching singles, videos and commissioning lots of remixes. It's normally the best time for fans as we get more versions and videos! 

Bear in mind just because the sticker said 'featuring Erotica and Bad Girl' doesn't necessarily mean it was intended as the second single. In this particular case it just means it was always intended as a single. 

Rugbyguy    0
12 hours ago, Showdown said:

well, remember that there was a planned American Life remix album AFTER Remixed & Revisted during the tour. what i think happened was that they had searched the archives, commissioned remixes (remember Nevins had remixed Bedtime Story and there were several other oldies being remixed as well) for the box set but when that got cancelled they didnt wanna waste some of it so they tacked Your Honesty on R&R along with some mixes and probably planned to release more AL mixes during the tour and used some photos for Nobody Knows Me magazine. my theory anyway. it was too weird how all of a sudden stuff started getting randomly released.

Wow I've been on forums for years and have never ever heard that American Life was intended to have its own remix album. The fact they canned that pisses me off just about as much as Madonna canning Veronica Electronica. 

S.E.X.    0
33 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

Wow I've been on forums for years and have never ever heard that American Life was intended to have its own remix album. The fact they canned that pisses me off just about as much as Madonna canning Veronica Electronica. 

Rehashed and Reductive is basically the American Life remix album. All in all, the mixes were quite good though. Your Honesty was completely random and the VMA performance only tacked onto it to attract potential buyers.

S.E.X.    0
15 hours ago, cjc said:

If the Veronica Electronica project had happened would there have been a new song released as a single to promote the album. Maybe a reworking of one the demos or a brand new song?

I think either Revenge, one of Sasha's tracks or maybe Mysore Style.

Rugbyguy    0
1 minute ago, S.E.X. said:

Rehashed and Reductive is basically the American Life remix album. All in all, the mixes were quite good though. Your Honesty was completely random and the VMA performance only tacked onto it to attract potential buyers.

Your Honesty was Caresse Henry's doing as she was disappointed that Warners canned the box set that was set for a late '03 release (yet another stupid decision). She pushed hard for its inclusion to give something back to the fans. 

cjc    0
8 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

Your Honesty was Caresse Henry's doing as she was disappointed that Warners canned the box set that was set for a late '03 release (yet another stupid decision). She pushed hard for its inclusion to give something back to the fans. 

As much as I like Your Honesty surely a leftover from American Life would have fitted better.

Showdown    0
2 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

there was one planned for that summer tho...like a legit one not an EP but a legit remix album

jonski43    0
4 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Bear in mind just because the sticker said 'featuring Erotica and Bad Girl' doesn't necessarily mean it was intended as the second single. In this particular case it just means it was always intended as a single. 

It's not from that. I think it's been mentioned several times over the years about the backlash and so Deeper and Deeper was switched to become the second single.

Hopefully, someone can remember more. 

S.E.X.    0
3 hours ago, Showdown said:

there was one planned for that summer tho...like a legit one not an EP but a legit remix album

I know...but R&R is basically what was left of it. I don't get why that was released in the end but not the actual remix album. Makes absolutely no sense to be honest...

5 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Interesting! I have no idea who she is but bless ha!

Sanctuary    0
4 hours ago, Runaway Lover said:

But Your Honesty is a gem.

^^ This. 💎💎💎💎💎

20 minutes ago, S.E.X. said:

I know...but R&R is basically what was left of it. I don't get why that was released in the end but not the actual remix album. Makes absolutely no sense to be honest...

She was Madonna's former manager. She was found dead in her apartment one day.

S.E.X.    0
54 minutes ago, Runaway Lover said:

She was Madonna's former manager. She was found dead in her apartment one day.

Omg WHAT? That's terrible I literally didn't know about that...wow!

Guy Oseary is truly ruthless. Lock him UP!

MrK1ngB33    0

Wow I'm loving this thread !!! Keep it going guys !  I believe The beat goes on was going to be a single - not sure why it was switched to give it to me which is good but the beat goes on is better 

Showdown    0
20 minutes ago, S.E.X. said:

Omg WHAT? That's terrible I literally didn't know about that...wow!

Guy Oseary is truly ruthless. Lock him UP!

she actually committed suicide RIP and a year or two later her sister made a horrible comment saying it was due to M.

cjc    0
1 minute ago, MrK1ngB33 said:

Wow I'm loving this thread !!! Keep it going guys !  I believe The beat goes on was going to be a single - not sure why it was switched to give it to me which is good but the beat goes on is better 

Wonder if it was going to be the 4th single then the flop of Miles Away killed it off?

Showdown    0
41 minutes ago, cjc said:

Wonder if it was going to be the 4th single then the flop of Miles Away killed it off?

i remember before Miles Away was released shortly after Give It 2 Me Mtribe had said during rehearsals she wasnt sure if she was gonna film a video for Heartbeat or Beat Goes On. personally i hate beat goes on but either one of those songs could've been another top 10 as a second single riding off the success of 4 Minutes in the US

S.E.X.    0
42 minutes ago, cjc said:

I think Warner wanted it as second single but M preferred Give It 2 Me. They still promoted it on the sticker because of the Kanye feature. 

There were rumors about BGO being chosen as 3rd single for the US market, while Miles Away was chosen to be the next single in Europe. Not sure how much about that is true, though.

I personally think, that GI2M was not a good second single and the video was incredibly boring and lazy considering that it was one of her favorite tracks on the record.

53 minutes ago, Showdown said:

she actually committed suicide RIP and a year or two later her sister made a horrible comment saying it was due to M.

Oh wow that's terrible :/

Oh yeah of course her sister would pull something like that. UGH

S.E.X.    0
3 minutes ago, Showdown said:

i remember before Miles Away was released shortly after Give It 2 Me Mtribe had said during rehearsals she wasnt sure if she was gonna film a video for Heartbeat or Beat Goes On. personally i hate beat goes on but either one of those songs could've been another top 10 as a second single riding off the success of 4 Minutes in the US

Beat Goes On, Heartbeat, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You and She's Not Me had quite a lot of potential in my opinion. 

Showdown    0
Just now, S.E.X. said:

I personally think, that GI2M was not a good second single and the video was incredibly boring and lazy considering that it was one of her favorite tracks on the record.

Oh wow that's terrible :/

Oh yeah of course her sister would pull something like that. UGH

to be clear it was Carese's sister not M's. but of course im sure it was hard on her sister and when you're grieving you'll grasp at straws. it was very sad because she worked SO hard for M and rumor has it she was fired for having an affair with someone else in her staff. you can see her briefly in IGTTYAS. then during Confessions Angela Becker and Guy became her managers. then allegedly Angela was fired after she was dating Stuart. SO many rumors tbh!

Rugbyguy    0
6 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Her manager at the time