Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Carta said:

No, Madonna definitely wanted "Ray of Light" (she told Molly Meldrum this in an interview early in 1998).  It was then that she admitted that she was "terrible" at choosing lead singles.  Warner Brothers held a listening party for all of the heads of the various branches of the company across the world in late 1997 and they were the ones who decided that "Frozen" would work best as a lead single.  I'm sorry to contradict you!  In the interview, Molly suggested that "Frozen" was a "bold choice" for a lead single.  Madonna expressed surprise ("Really?") and said that she thought ROL would have been a bolder choice.  She felt that "Frozen" was a good bridge between her older style and her new music.

Interesting. Obviously Frozen was the safest choice. Glad Ray of Light was the second single tho. One of her best ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Yeah but only one by Tracy Young and she has a lot of private mixes in her collection. I think another possibility was that all these mixes were supposed to appear on Remixed and Revisited but were later dropped. Still, Mother and Father was the one that had promo releases making the rounds.

Yeah and it's quite apparent they were saving it till the end of the era, possibly to serve as the b-side to Where's the Party. (Note: White Heat and Jimmy Jimmy have already been used, yet LMTWG never appeared as b-side on any release)

Wow....just when you thought the single choices couldn't get any worse...

This song is quite honestly my least favorite Madonna song of all time. Not even B-Day Song is as dreadful as this song. Tragic.

i do remember though Easy Ride being rumored to be a single but it was confusing because like you said Mother & Father had its one remix being released then all of a sudden a radio rip of a remix by johnny rocks was posted. then after it was obvious no more singles were being released tracy young releases her easy ride remix. lol i think maybe they were trying to test the waters. as for superstar, i do not remember it being even rumored to be a single, just that promo single in south america but i do remember a report saying her new video was to feature a "terror bride" look and was gonna reference terrorists or something. who knows. some rumors are not remotely true while others are later proven absolutely true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 8:03 PM, Shane said:

I remember as a child hearing Where's The Party on my local radio station quite a bit.  This was after LIB was peaking in airplay.  I wonder if this was just in my area.

I also remember a bit of airplay for Don't Stop in the fall of 1995.

Nope. WTP was a big radio hit all over the world. Spotlight was denied a single release in order to move more copies of YCD even though it received decent airplay in most countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah I guess that makes sense if Spotlight were a single it would kill YCD sales. It's not really the strongest Madonna song and is similar to past hits so it's probably for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 0:18 AM, Supernatural said:

Heard WTP in NY on the radio for many years, as a kid I assumed it had been a single. Never heard Don't Stop though.

WTP even charted..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Supernatural said:

Oh yeah I guess that makes sense if Spotlight were a single it would kill YCD sales. It's not really the strongest Madonna song and is similar to past hits so it's probably for the best.

Spotlight would have been amazin single!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Open Your Heart/True Blue switch is interesting.  After hitting number one with a ballad (LTT) that sounded little like anything else on radio at the time (and NOTHING like her own previous work), it's pretty obvious that anything released off of True Blue would have been a top ten smash.

I think they actually undershot with Madonna in terms of what they released (compared to Jackson siblings and George Michael for example).  She could have notched another top ten single or two in the 1985-87 years.  Perhaps she sold more albums by holding back a little, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shane said:

The Open Your Heart/True Blue switch is interesting.  After hitting number one with a ballad (LTT) that sounded little like anything else on radio at the time (and NOTHING like her own previous work), it's pretty obvious that anything released off of True Blue would have been a top ten smash.

I think they actually undershot with Madonna in terms of what they released (compared to Jackson siblings and George Michael for example).  She could have notched another top ten single or two in the 1985-87 years.  Perhaps she sold more albums by holding back a little, though.

I think we're massively lucky to have got five singles from TB - I was amazed when I saw the ad for LIB single.

M said herself she gets bored quickly. She only recorded two videos for the LAV album and disappeared after Live Aid musically even though LAV album was suddenly huge worldwide and the first album was re-charting. She could have really milked that but went off and did a small play and wrote the True Blue album instead.

Most of the time, I think it's M that's moved the projects along. She was fed up with Borderline hanging around so long and angry that Lucky Star got released and pushed back the release of LAV. Most artists would have continued riding the wave of current success. She could have performed Lucky Star at the MTV awards but she performed LAV instead that wasn't even released.

Look at Hard Candy. The Miles Away video was a crap live one that was released weeks after the single. Rescue Me only got a crap compilation video too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Smash Hits printing the lyrics of Bad Girl as the second single from Erotica when in fact Deeper and Deeper was released...I also remember an interview (I think it was The Face) where she spoke of WIFLFAG being the second single from Music. I was confused when Radio 1 started playing Don't Tell Me.

And obviously there was the business of the sticker on Hard Candy mentioning The Beat Goes On.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fever said:

I remember Smash Hits printing the lyrics of Bad Girl as the second single from Erotica when in fact Deeper and Deeper was released...I also remember an interview (I think it was The Face) where she spoke of WIFLFAG being the second single from Music. I was confused when Radio 1 started playing Don't Tell Me.

And obviously there was the business of the sticker on Hard Candy mentioning The Beat Goes On.

In-store promos for the Erotica album said "contains Erotica and Bad Girl" so BG was originally the second single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading in The Sun newspaper after the Ray Of Light single was released that Nothing Really Matters would be the next single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nightcutter said:

In-store promos for the Erotica album said "contains Erotica and Bad Girl" so BG was originally the second single.

This is so odd. I mean I love Bad Girl but it doesn't really scream second single material to me (same as WIFLFAG). I'm glad they chose other/better songs instead.

To this day it still makes me sad that we never got a video/single for the duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful). It's a damn good song which is quite underrated I feel. Can you imagine a video for this? They both looked so hot during that time and Ricky just scored his first #1 hit. I'm sure Be Careful would have been a worldwide smash for them. I think it was supposed to be a single at some point but I don't know why it never got released. Ricky Martin even included it on his first Greatest Hits Compilation, so he must love it as well. Oh well...another missed opportunity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Showdown said:

i do remember though Easy Ride being rumored to be a single but it was confusing because like you said Mother & Father had its one remix being released then all of a sudden a radio rip of a remix by johnny rocks was posted. then after it was obvious no more singles were being released tracy young releases her easy ride remix. lol i think maybe they were trying to test the waters. as for superstar, i do not remember it being even rumored to be a single, just that promo single in south america but i do remember a report saying her new video was to feature a "terror bride" look and was gonna reference terrorists or something. who knows. some rumors are not remotely true while others are later proven absolutely true.

Madonna actually asked the audience at On Stage & On the Record whether the next single (after American Life) should be Hollywood, Mother and Father or Love Profusion.

I think Mother and Father was always a strong single contender. I also know where the Easy Ride rumor came from. It came from MadonnaTribe. I went through their news archive and they were mentioning that official remixes for M&F and Easy Ride have been commissioned but that they don't know whether those were meant for the remix album or for a single.

My guess is that the single was going to be Mother and Father to promote Remixes and Revisited and the remix for Easy Ride was going to be the b-side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cjc said:

I remember reading in The Sun newspaper after the Ray Of Light single was released that Nothing Really Matters would be the next single.

That is true. Nothing Really Matters was originally chosen as 3rd single. However, for some reason they went for The Power of Good-Bye as third US single and used DW/SFL to bridge the gap between ROL and TPOG as transitional single in Europe...really odd. I think that was M's doing. DW/SFL was her favourite track and she wanted it as a single. I'm sure Warner favoured NRM, TPOG and Sky Fits Heaven.

45 minutes ago, DagIN said:

This is so odd. I mean I love Bad Girl but it doesn't really scream second single material to me (same as WIFLFAG). I'm glad they chose other/better songs instead.

To this day it still makes me sad that we never got a video/single for the duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful). It's a damn good song which is quite underrated I feel. Can you imagine a video for this? They both looked so hot during that time and Ricky just scored his first #1 hit. I'm sure Be Careful would have been a worldwide smash for them. I think it was supposed to be a single at some point but I don't know why it never got released. Ricky Martin even included it on his first Greatest Hits Compilation, so he must love it as well. Oh well...another missed opportunity.

 

I think that is due to the fact that Bad Girl was one of the most critically acclaimed songs from Erotica. 

Oh yes I totally agree about Be Careful! That would have been a huge smash for her. Possibly another #1 but she was clearly busy preparing the ROL Tour and The Next Best Thing at that time and Beautiful Stranger was also just around the corner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fever said:

I remember Smash Hits printing the lyrics of Bad Girl as the second single from Erotica when in fact Deeper and Deeper was released...I also remember an interview (I think it was The Face) where she spoke of WIFLFAG being the second single from Music. I was confused when Radio 1 started playing Don't Tell Me.

And obviously there was the business of the sticker on Hard Candy mentioning The Beat Goes On.

She did mention that WIFLFAG was going to be the next single. I remember that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nightcutter said:

In-store promos for the Erotica album said "contains Erotica and Bad Girl" so BG was originally the second single.

Wasn't it switched as Erotica failed to get to number one so they went for an uptempo number?

Also, wasn't the Bad Girl video supposedly going to be X-rated but was scrapped because of all the furore surrounding the SEX book?

But no, it never seemed like single material at all. I didn't like until it was released and I saw the video. Since then it's been one of my favourite singles ever!

Erotica and American Life were so similar in eras when they initially underperformed so the record company went mad switching singles, videos and commissioning lots of remixes. It's normally the best time for fans as we get more versions and videos! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DagIN said:

To this day it still makes me sad that we never got a video/single for the duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful). It's a damn good song which is quite underrated I feel. Can you imagine a video for this? They both looked so hot during that time and Ricky just scored his first #1 hit. I'm sure Be Careful would have been a worldwide smash for them. I think it was supposed to be a single at some point but I don't know why it never got released. Ricky Martin even included it on his first Greatest Hits Compilation, so he must love it as well. Oh well...another missed opportunity.

 

Ricky wanted it as the second single and even asked Madonna to film a video but she refused, official excuse was that she had a busy schedule and also the Beautiful Stranger single, but the rumor was that she was still pissed at Tommy Mottola for rushing her to finish the song quickly(Mottola spoke about Madonna storming out of the recording studio angry cause he told her that they had to finish the song that very same day), so Ricky ended up releasing "She's all i ever had" wich peaked at #2 i think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Veronica Electronica project had happened would there have been a new song released as a single to promote the album. Maybe a reworking of one the demos or a brand new song?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Madonna actually asked the audience at On Stage & On the Record whether the next single (after American Life) should be Hollywood, Mother and Father or Love Profusion.

I think Mother and Father was always a strong single contender. I also know where the Easy Ride rumor came from. It came from MadonnaTribe. I went through their news archive and they were mentioning that official remixes for M&F and Easy Ride have been commissioned but that they don't know whether those were meant for the remix album or for a single.

My guess is that the single was going to be Mother and Father to promote Remixes and Revisited and the remix for Easy Ride was going to be the b-side.

well, remember that there was a planned American Life remix album AFTER Remixed & Revisted during the tour. what i think happened was that they had searched the archives, commissioned remixes (remember Nevins had remixed Bedtime Story and there were several other oldies being remixed as well) for the box set but when that got cancelled they didnt wanna waste some of it so they tacked Your Honesty on R&R along with some mixes and probably planned to release more AL mixes during the tour and used some photos for Nobody Knows Me magazine. my theory anyway. it was too weird how all of a sudden stuff started getting randomly released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Wasn't it switched as Erotica failed to get to number one so they went for an uptempo number?

Also, wasn't the Bad Girl video supposedly going to be X-rated but was scrapped because of all the furore surrounding the SEX book?

But no, it never seemed like single material at all. I didn't like until it was released and I saw the video. Since then it's been one of my favourite singles ever!

Erotica and American Life were so similar in eras when they initially underperformed so the record company went mad switching singles, videos and commissioning lots of remixes. It's normally the best time for fans as we get more versions and videos! 

Bear in mind just because the sticker said 'featuring Erotica and Bad Girl' doesn't necessarily mean it was intended as the second single. In this particular case it just means it was always intended as a single. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Showdown said:

well, remember that there was a planned American Life remix album AFTER Remixed & Revisted during the tour. what i think happened was that they had searched the archives, commissioned remixes (remember Nevins had remixed Bedtime Story and there were several other oldies being remixed as well) for the box set but when that got cancelled they didnt wanna waste some of it so they tacked Your Honesty on R&R along with some mixes and probably planned to release more AL mixes during the tour and used some photos for Nobody Knows Me magazine. my theory anyway. it was too weird how all of a sudden stuff started getting randomly released.

Wow I've been on forums for years and have never ever heard that American Life was intended to have its own remix album. The fact they canned that pisses me off just about as much as Madonna canning Veronica Electronica. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

Wow I've been on forums for years and have never ever heard that American Life was intended to have its own remix album. The fact they canned that pisses me off just about as much as Madonna canning Veronica Electronica. 

Rehashed and Reductive is basically the American Life remix album. All in all, the mixes were quite good though. Your Honesty was completely random and the VMA performance only tacked onto it to attract potential buyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cjc said:

If the Veronica Electronica project had happened would there have been a new song released as a single to promote the album. Maybe a reworking of one the demos or a brand new song?

I think either Revenge, one of Sasha's tracks or maybe Mysore Style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S.E.X. said:

Rehashed and Reductive is basically the American Life remix album. All in all, the mixes were quite good though. Your Honesty was completely random and the VMA performance only tacked onto it to attract potential buyers.

Your Honesty was Caresse Henry's doing as she was disappointed that Warners canned the box set that was set for a late '03 release (yet another stupid decision). She pushed hard for its inclusion to give something back to the fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

Your Honesty was Caresse Henry's doing as she was disappointed that Warners canned the box set that was set for a late '03 release (yet another stupid decision). She pushed hard for its inclusion to give something back to the fans. 

As much as I like Your Honesty surely a leftover from American Life would have fitted better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Your Honesty is a gem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Rehashed and Reductive is basically the American Life remix album. All in all, the mixes were quite good though. Your Honesty was completely random and the VMA performance only tacked onto it to attract potential buyers.

there was one planned for that summer tho...like a legit one not an EP but a legit remix album

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Bear in mind just because the sticker said 'featuring Erotica and Bad Girl' doesn't necessarily mean it was intended as the second single. In this particular case it just means it was always intended as a single. 

It's not from that. I think it's been mentioned several times over the years about the backlash and so Deeper and Deeper was switched to become the second single.

Hopefully, someone can remember more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Showdown said:

there was one planned for that summer tho...like a legit one not an EP but a legit remix album

I know...but R&R is basically what was left of it. I don't get why that was released in the end but not the actual remix album. Makes absolutely no sense to be honest...

5 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Your Honesty was Caresse Henry's doing as she was disappointed that Warners canned the box set that was set for a late '03 release (yet another stupid decision). She pushed hard for its inclusion to give something back to the fans. 

Interesting! I have no idea who she is but bless ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Runaway Lover said:

But Your Honesty is a gem.

^^ This. 💎💎💎💎💎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×