MadonnaNation.com Forums

On 09/07/2017 at 9:08 PM, Jamesy said:

Off tangent a bit but kinda related - Like A Prayer album was originally scheduled for a Christmas 1988 release. Officially announced to the press in the last quarter of that year (along with album title). It's title and Christmas release date are mentioned at the end of an interview piece in the December issue of "Fame" magazine btw which came in early November'88!

According to the article, the album was going to be released "shortly after January 1" 1989, whereas the single was scheduled for a Christmas release...

14 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

That's not what I remember hearing at the time. Madonna's rabbi was the one who suggested Frozen, so she went with that. Warner wanted Ray of Light as the first single.

No, Madonna definitely wanted "Ray of Light" (she told Molly Meldrum this in an interview early in 1998).  It was then that she admitted that she was "terrible" at choosing lead singles.  Warner Brothers held a listening party for all of the heads of the various branches of the company across the world in late 1997 and they were the ones who decided that "Frozen" would work best as a lead single.  I'm sorry to contradict you!  In the interview, Molly suggested that "Frozen" was a "bold choice" for a lead single.  Madonna expressed surprise ("Really?") and said that she thought ROL would have been a bolder choice.  She felt that "Frozen" was a good bridge between her older style and her new music.

14 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Frozen was breath of fresh air. It was the perfect introduction to "the new Madonna" and her new sound. Plus, ROL made the perfect summer single right after.

Except it was winter in the southern hemisphere :beret:

15 hours ago, jonski43 said:

But there is also an official remix of Easy Ride although it did surface later. However, I remember, at the time, they did seem to be trying anything after it was clear the album was tanking hence Remix and Revisited and remixes of many tracks that never got a proper release such as the italo remixes of Nobody Knows Me. 

:hotmess:

Anyone know why Burning Up was dropped from UK release even though it was released worldwide? We got Lucky Star as the second single after Everybody nearly a year before she filmed a video for its release in the US. She even performed Burning Up when she came here so clearly the intention was there. Just Warner's UK doing there own thing? 

Yeah but only one by Tracy Young and she has a lot of private mixes in her collection. I think another possibility was that all these mixes were supposed to appear on Remixed and Revisited but were later dropped. Still, Mother and Father was the one that had promo releases making the rounds.

13 hours ago, jonski43 said:

There was also talk of Love Makes The World Go Round being a single very early on but that could have come from the fact that she performed it at Live Aid.

Also, I remember around the time of BAT there was talk of the live version of LAV and Holiday being released but that may have been because the videos were released to promote TOD? I thought it was odd to release live versions of songs but I really wanted the BAT version of LAV. 

As for TB, the video was only for international release, wasn't it? She did the 'Make my video' competition on MTV for the US version, I thought. I was disappointed with the simplicity of the set at first.

Yeah and it's quite apparent they were saving it till the end of the era, possibly to serve as the b-side to Where's the Party. (Note: White Heat and Jimmy Jimmy have already been used, yet LMTWG never appeared as b-side on any release)

9 hours ago, muscleguy35 said:

also remember that superstar was suppost to be a single? From interscope page It had a released date, tracklist and pre-order availability: SEE BELOW> Unfortunately ended up as a 1-track promo only in Brazil - Maybe thats a good thing as I don't see it as single material considering other better tracks off MDNA. 

INTERSCOPE RECORDS MADONNA – SUPERSTAR EP

The long-awaited Superstar EP will be released January 7, 2013 on iTunes and Amazon.com. It will include remixes by Eddie Amador and Bimbo Jones.

Tracklist:

1. Superstar (Radio Edit)
  2. Superstar (Eddie Amador Club Mix)
  3. Superstar (Bimbo Jones Mix)
  4. Superstar (Eddie Amador Radio Edit)
  5. Superstar (Instrumental)

Check the info page at https://torresinterscope.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/madonna-superstar-remixes-2/

Wow....just when you thought the single choices couldn't get any worse...

This song is quite honestly my least favorite Madonna song of all time. Not even B-Day Song is as dreadful as this song. Tragic.

13 hours ago, jonski43 said:

As for TB, the video was only for international release, wasn't it? She did the 'Make my video' competition on MTV for the US version, I thought. I was disappointed with the simplicity of the set at first.

I was a crazy die-hard fan in 1986 - and I can remember reading many times in the Summer of that year about OYH being the next single. The Daily Mirror in the UK published photos from the shoot of the video (mentioning it as the "next single") and then to my astonishment - True Blue came out. I couldn't understand it!

It was widely reported at the time that this was never originally intended - and that it happened because of pressure from US radio. TB was getting played and needed to be the next single, according to every report.

And yes - the TB video back then, did appear at the time as something not typical of Madonna's videos. I can remember seeing it for the first time and being so surprised and a bit disappointed. She did look stunning - but it was a strange video, coming after Papa Don't Preach! 30 years on - I think it's beautiful.

The story at the time was that MTV just didn't like it - and then their contest idea came up. I am gonna have to dig old news reports for more on this.

You can see though that the MTV contest came AFTER the release of the official video - and the winning MTV video wasn't shown until a month or more after the TB official video.

Remember also that in these peak years of Madonna's career - EVERYTHING was USA centred. Record company divisions around the world often did their own thing, quite often I'm certain without Madonna or her management being remotely aware of it. And MTV-America was MTV - outside of USA, MTV barely existed to any significant degree. MTV-Europe didn't even exist in 1986.

47 minutes ago, Carta said:

According to the article, the album was going to be released "shortly after January 1" 1989, whereas the single was scheduled for a Christmas release...

Yes would have been a fascinating addition to all the controversy - had the original plan came good, and LAP came at CHRISTMAS!

The outrage might have been even more off the scale!

Pat Leonard's test pressing of the album btw is dated January 1989 - and although there are contradictions in her book, producer of the video Sharon Oreck discusses initial filming of the video happening at the end of 1988.

We know though that the Pepsi ad was not filmed until 1989 - I wonder if this deal had anything to do with release being pushed back.

1 hour ago, Carta said:

No, Madonna definitely wanted "Ray of Light" (she told Molly Meldrum this in an interview early in 1998).  It was then that she admitted that she was "terrible" at choosing lead singles.  Warner Brothers held a listening party for all of the heads of the various branches of the company across the world in late 1997 and they were the ones who decided that "Frozen" would work best as a lead single.  I'm sorry to contradict you!  In the interview, Molly suggested that "Frozen" was a "bold choice" for a lead single.  Madonna expressed surprise ("Really?") and said that she thought ROL would have been a bolder choice.  She felt that "Frozen" was a good bridge between her older style and her new music.

I didn't know this! Can you post the interview?

3 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I didn't know this! Can you post the interview?

I did a quick search on YouTube for it, but it's not coming up.  It was recorded for Channel V (Australia) early in 1998.  When I track it down, I'll post a link to it.  I have it on VHS, but that doesn't help...!  :beret:

1 hour ago, Jamesy said:

Yes would have been a fascinating addition to all the controversy - had the original plan came good, and LAP came at CHRISTMAS!

The outrage might have been even more off the scale!

Pat Leonard's test pressing of the album btw is dated January 1989 - and although there are contradictions in her book, producer of the video Sharon Oreck discusses initial filming of the video happening at the end of 1988.

We know though that the Pepsi ad was not filmed until 1989 - I wonder if this deal had anything to do with release being pushed back.

Instead, it was huge over Easter, so with the imagery involving crosses and stigmata, it probably generated even more controversy than it would have, had it been released over Christmas (possibly!).

The Pepsi ad featured the blond streak in her hair (a "test" for her Breathless Mahoney hair colour), so it's an absolute certainty that the LAP video was filmed before the Pepsi commercial (probably only just, though - my guess is that they were both filmed in January 1989 - I'm not sure about Sharon Oreck's comments/timeline.  They might have shot some scenes just before Christmas, 1988).

26 minutes ago, Carta said:

The Pepsi ad featured the blond streak in her hair (a "test" for her Breathless Mahoney hair colour), so it's an absolute certainty that the LAP video was filmed before the Pepsi commercial (probably only just, though - my guess is that they were both filmed in January 1989 - I'm not sure about Sharon Oreck's comments/timeline.  They might have shot some scenes just before Christmas, 1988).

According to Sharon's book - the burning crosses outdoor scenes were shot on December 12th 1988 - I just had a look there!

4am that day she says Madonna is out in the cold dancing lol!

Also according to the book - the casting for the black saint was done at the offices of "O Pictures" (Oreck's company) in early December.

"O Pictures" produced many many of Madonna's music videos in the 1980s btw - her book about her work  (from a few years ago) is quite a good read! I've also spoken to her privately a few times and she is very lovely.

3 hours ago, Carta said:

Interesting. Obviously Frozen was the safest choice. Glad Ray of Light was the second single tho. One of her best ever!

12 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Yeah but only one by Tracy Young and she has a lot of private mixes in her collection. I think another possibility was that all these mixes were supposed to appear on Remixed and Revisited but were later dropped. Still, Mother and Father was the one that had promo releases making the rounds.

Yeah and it's quite apparent they were saving it till the end of the era, possibly to serve as the b-side to Where's the Party. (Note: White Heat and Jimmy Jimmy have already been used, yet LMTWG never appeared as b-side on any release)

Wow....just when you thought the single choices couldn't get any worse...

This song is quite honestly my least favorite Madonna song of all time. Not even B-Day Song is as dreadful as this song. Tragic.

i do remember though Easy Ride being rumored to be a single but it was confusing because like you said Mother & Father had its one remix being released then all of a sudden a radio rip of a remix by johnny rocks was posted. then after it was obvious no more singles were being released tracy young releases her easy ride remix. lol i think maybe they were trying to test the waters. as for superstar, i do not remember it being even rumored to be a single, just that promo single in south america but i do remember a report saying her new video was to feature a "terror bride" look and was gonna reference terrorists or something. who knows. some rumors are not remotely true while others are later proven absolutely true.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:03 PM, Shane said:

I remember as a child hearing Where's The Party on my local radio station quite a bit.  This was after LIB was peaking in airplay.  I wonder if this was just in my area.

I also remember a bit of airplay for Don't Stop in the fall of 1995.

Nope. WTP was a big radio hit all over the world. Spotlight was denied a single release in order to move more copies of YCD even though it received decent airplay in most countries. 

Oh yeah I guess that makes sense if Spotlight were a single it would kill YCD sales. It's not really the strongest Madonna song and is similar to past hits so it's probably for the best.

On ‎10‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 0:18 AM, Supernatural said:

Heard WTP in NY on the radio for many years, as a kid I assumed it had been a single. Never heard Don't Stop though.

WTP even charted..

9 minutes ago, Supernatural said:

Oh yeah I guess that makes sense if Spotlight were a single it would kill YCD sales. It's not really the strongest Madonna song and is similar to past hits so it's probably for the best.

Spotlight would have been amazin single!

The Open Your Heart/True Blue switch is interesting.  After hitting number one with a ballad (LTT) that sounded little like anything else on radio at the time (and NOTHING like her own previous work), it's pretty obvious that anything released off of True Blue would have been a top ten smash.

I think they actually undershot with Madonna in terms of what they released (compared to Jackson siblings and George Michael for example).  She could have notched another top ten single or two in the 1985-87 years.  Perhaps she sold more albums by holding back a little, though.

13 minutes ago, Shane said:

The Open Your Heart/True Blue switch is interesting.  After hitting number one with a ballad (LTT) that sounded little like anything else on radio at the time (and NOTHING like her own previous work), it's pretty obvious that anything released off of True Blue would have been a top ten smash.

I think they actually undershot with Madonna in terms of what they released (compared to Jackson siblings and George Michael for example).  She could have notched another top ten single or two in the 1985-87 years.  Perhaps she sold more albums by holding back a little, though.

I think we're massively lucky to have got five singles from TB - I was amazed when I saw the ad for LIB single.

M said herself she gets bored quickly. She only recorded two videos for the LAV album and disappeared after Live Aid musically even though LAV album was suddenly huge worldwide and the first album was re-charting. She could have really milked that but went off and did a small play and wrote the True Blue album instead.

Most of the time, I think it's M that's moved the projects along. She was fed up with Borderline hanging around so long and angry that Lucky Star got released and pushed back the release of LAV. Most artists would have continued riding the wave of current success. She could have performed Lucky Star at the MTV awards but she performed LAV instead that wasn't even released.

Look at Hard Candy. The Miles Away video was a crap live one that was released weeks after the single. Rescue Me only got a crap compilation video too.

I remember Smash Hits printing the lyrics of Bad Girl as the second single from Erotica when in fact Deeper and Deeper was released...I also remember an interview (I think it was The Face) where she spoke of WIFLFAG being the second single from Music. I was confused when Radio 1 started playing Don't Tell Me.

And obviously there was the business of the sticker on Hard Candy mentioning The Beat Goes On.

22 minutes ago, Fever said:

I remember Smash Hits printing the lyrics of Bad Girl as the second single from Erotica when in fact Deeper and Deeper was released...I also remember an interview (I think it was The Face) where she spoke of WIFLFAG being the second single from Music. I was confused when Radio 1 started playing Don't Tell Me.

And obviously there was the business of the sticker on Hard Candy mentioning The Beat Goes On.

In-store promos for the Erotica album said "contains Erotica and Bad Girl" so BG was originally the second single.

I remember reading in The Sun newspaper after the Ray Of Light single was released that Nothing Really Matters would be the next single.

14 minutes ago, nightcutter said:

In-store promos for the Erotica album said "contains Erotica and Bad Girl" so BG was originally the second single.

This is so odd. I mean I love Bad Girl but it doesn't really scream second single material to me (same as WIFLFAG). I'm glad they chose other/better songs instead.

To this day it still makes me sad that we never got a video/single for the duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful). It's a damn good song which is quite underrated I feel. Can you imagine a video for this? They both looked so hot during that time and Ricky just scored his first #1 hit. I'm sure Be Careful would have been a worldwide smash for them. I think it was supposed to be a single at some point but I don't know why it never got released. Ricky Martin even included it on his first Greatest Hits Compilation, so he must love it as well. Oh well...another missed opportunity.

20 hours ago, Showdown said:

i do remember though Easy Ride being rumored to be a single but it was confusing because like you said Mother & Father had its one remix being released then all of a sudden a radio rip of a remix by johnny rocks was posted. then after it was obvious no more singles were being released tracy young releases her easy ride remix. lol i think maybe they were trying to test the waters. as for superstar, i do not remember it being even rumored to be a single, just that promo single in south america but i do remember a report saying her new video was to feature a "terror bride" look and was gonna reference terrorists or something. who knows. some rumors are not remotely true while others are later proven absolutely true.

Madonna actually asked the audience at On Stage & On the Record whether the next single (after American Life) should be Hollywood, Mother and Father or Love Profusion.

I think Mother and Father was always a strong single contender. I also know where the Easy Ride rumor came from. It came from MadonnaTribe. I went through their news archive and they were mentioning that official remixes for M&F and Easy Ride have been commissioned but that they don't know whether those were meant for the remix album or for a single.

My guess is that the single was going to be Mother and Father to promote Remixes and Revisited and the remix for Easy Ride was going to be the b-side.

56 minutes ago, cjc said:

I remember reading in The Sun newspaper after the Ray Of Light single was released that Nothing Really Matters would be the next single.

That is true. Nothing Really Matters was originally chosen as 3rd single. However, for some reason they went for The Power of Good-Bye as third US single and used DW/SFL to bridge the gap between ROL and TPOG as transitional single in Europe...really odd. I think that was M's doing. DW/SFL was her favourite track and she wanted it as a single. I'm sure Warner favoured NRM, TPOG and Sky Fits Heaven.

45 minutes ago, DagIN said:

This is so odd. I mean I love Bad Girl but it doesn't really scream second single material to me (same as WIFLFAG). I'm glad they chose other/better songs instead.

To this day it still makes me sad that we never got a video/single for the duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful). It's a damn good song which is quite underrated I feel. Can you imagine a video for this? They both looked so hot during that time and Ricky just scored his first #1 hit. I'm sure Be Careful would have been a worldwide smash for them. I think it was supposed to be a single at some point but I don't know why it never got released. Ricky Martin even included it on his first Greatest Hits Compilation, so he must love it as well. Oh well...another missed opportunity.

I think that is due to the fact that Bad Girl was one of the most critically acclaimed songs from Erotica. 

Oh yes I totally agree about Be Careful! That would have been a huge smash for her. Possibly another #1 but she was clearly busy preparing the ROL Tour and The Next Best Thing at that time and Beautiful Stranger was also just around the corner. 

1 hour ago, Fever said:

She did mention that WIFLFAG was going to be the next single. I remember that.