MadonnaNation.com Forums

Jamesy    0

Oh and - kinda in reverse but...

True Blue was not originally intended to be a single. 

OYH was announced as the 3rd single off that album after PDP - and the video was shot in the Summer of 1986 (pictures appeared in the press at the time).

True Blue was reportedly rush-released because of demand from US radio - and OYH pushed back.

Gus    0
17 minutes ago, Jamesy said:

Off tangent a bit but kinda related - Like A Prayer album was originally scheduled for a Christmas 1988 release. Officially announced to the press in the last quarter of that year (along with album title). It's title and Christmas release date are mentioned at the end of an interview piece in the December issue of "Fame" magazine btw which came in early November'88!

One of my favorite magazines from that era!

Fame USA December 1988 page 97 preview 400.jpg

Fame USA December 1988 page 97 preview 400-1.jpg

Gus    0
Just now, Jamesy said:

Me too! 

Did you know - this piece was also issued as a limited edition hardback book (!) - "Madonna at Ringside" by Harry Crews. Quite a collectable that is!

https://www.amazon.com/Madonna-At-Ringside-Harry-Crews/dp/0935716564

I didn't! Looks amazing!

Aside from the gorgeous pictures, i love the side of her that the story reflects...

S.E.X.    0
2 hours ago, Jamesy said:

Sorry gotta quash this one. Was discussed at length years ago on other forums - urban myth due to confused info about a promo cassette which turned out to be fake.

Never ever was the case that Santa Baby (A&M Records 1987 track) would be a single a year affer its release, with a WB "Like a Prayer" reject song as b-side. Sorry!

Off tangent a bit but kinda related - Like A Prayer album was originally scheduled for a Christmas 1988 release. Officially announced to the press in the last quarter of that year (along with album title). It's title and Christmas release date are mentioned at the end of an interview piece in the December issue of "Fame" magazine btw which came in early November'88!

They should have tacked Santa Baby onto that lame The Look of Love single as b-side. Now THAT could have probably increased its sales a LOT, especially because TLOL was released in December 1987.

Confessit    0
4 hours ago, Jamesy said:

OYH was announced as the 3rd single off that album after PDP - and the video was shot in the Summer of 1986 (pictures appeared in the press at the time).

True Blue was reportedly rush-released because of demand from US radio - and OYH pushed back.

Wow that's really interesting!

Id of thought True Blue was always intended to be a single!

Showdown    0

wasnt Easy Ride going to be the summer single and also promote Re-Invention?

7 hours ago, Jamesy said:

Interesting.

It was odd. Open Your Heart was first single material. 

S.E.X.    0
1 hour ago, Showdown said:

wasnt Easy Ride going to be the summer single and also promote Re-Invention?

Mother and Father, most likely. It had official remixes commissioned.

jonski43    0
17 minutes ago, S.E.X. said:

Mother and Father, most likely. It had official remixes commissioned.

But there is also an official remix of Easy Ride although it did surface later. However, I remember, at the time, they did seem to be trying anything after it was clear the album was tanking hence Remix and Revisited and remixes of many tracks that never got a proper release such as the italo remixes of Nobody Knows Me. 

:hotmess:

Anyone know why Burning Up was dropped from UK release even though it was released worldwide? We got Lucky Star as the second single after Everybody nearly a year before she filmed a video for its release in the US. She even performed Burning Up when she came here so clearly the intention was there. Just Warner's UK doing there own thing? 

functions_X    0

didn't M also want Ray of Light to be the lead single and not Frozen?

and of course, the worst disaster ever avoided - Vogue was supposed to be just a b-side for "Keep It Together" :wacko:

21 hours ago, Shane said:

I remember as a child hearing Where's The Party on my local radio station quite a bit.  This was after LIB was peaking in airplay.  I wonder if this was just in my area.

I also remember a bit of airplay for Don't Stop in the fall of 1995.

Heard WTP in NY on the radio for many years, as a kid I assumed it had been a single. Never heard Don't Stop though.

10 hours ago, Jamesy said:

I remember Entertainment Tonight saying Madonna's upcoming album was called Express Yourself. Don't know if they had the wrong info or if that was the title at some point.

36 minutes ago, functions_X said:

didn't M also want Ray of Light to be the lead single and not Frozen?

That's not what I remember hearing at the time. Madonna's rabbi was the one who suggested Frozen, so she went with that. Warner wanted Ray of Light as the first single.

10 hours ago, Jamesy said:

I never heard this, but it makes sense. True Blue always felt out of place in the single run for that album. Add to that a cheap, rushed looking video.

functions_X    0
2 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

That's not what I remember hearing at the time. Madonna's rabbi was the one who suggested Frozen, so she went with that. Warner wanted Ray of Light as the first single.

oh, maybe that's what got me confused, I remember somebody wanted ROL... Frozen was one of the best choices of M's career

I agree about the video for True Blue. It really stood out and not in a good way, compared to PDP and OYH.

1 minute ago, functions_X said:

oh, maybe that's what got me confused, I remember somebody wanted ROL... Frozen was one of the best choices of M's career

Frozen was definitely a risky choice. It's a beautiful song, but doesn't scream "single." I remember hearing it on the radio and not liking it at first because it was so different from anything she had done and what radio was playing. On repeated listening, it sounded better. I'm glad radio embraced it.

functions_X    0
Just now, frzndrwnwrld said:

Frozen was definitely a risky choice. It's a beautiful song, but doesn't scream "single." I remember hearing it on the radio and not liking it at first because it was so different from anything she had done and what radio was playing. On repeated listening, it sounded better. I'm glad radio embraced it.

I remember that back in the day it completely changed M's career, in a positive way.... maybe more so due to the video, than the song?

Frozen was breath of fresh air. It was the perfect introduction to "the new Madonna" and her new sound. Plus, ROL made the perfect summer single right after.

nightcutter    0

Before Live To Tell was even heard of I read a piece in a music mag that said Madonna's next single was already in the wings and would be a girl-group, 50s inspired song. I would say they had to have been referring to TB itself. Its a great track and perfect single material and the title track so the idea it wasn't going to be a single is of no sense to me. Obviously Warner changed the schedule in the end.

jonski43    0
8 minutes ago, nightcutter said:

Before Live To Tell was even heard of I read a piece in a music mag that said Madonna's next single was already in the wings and would be a girl-group, 50s inspired song. I would say they had to have been referring to TB itself. Its a great track and perfect single material and the title track so the idea it wasn't going to be a single is of no sense to me. Obviously Warner changed the schedule in the end.

There was also talk of Love Makes The World Go Round being a single very early on but that could have come from the fact that she performed it at Live Aid.

Also, I remember around the time of BAT there was talk of the live version of LAV and Holiday being released but that may have been because the videos were released to promote TOD? I thought it was odd to release live versions of songs but I really wanted the BAT version of LAV. 

As for TB, the video was only for international release, wasn't it? She did the 'Make my video' competition on MTV for the US version, I thought. I was disappointed with the simplicity of the set at first.

cjc    0

Would love to know if Spotlight was considered for a wider release.

I believe Love Don't Live Here Anymore was supposed to be released in the UK but was cancelled due to its low chart position in the USA and I wonder if the poor  performance of Oh Father and One More Chance in the UK had anything to do with it.

Buenos Aires was supposed to be the 4th single from Evita. Hard to guess how it would have performed.

When Skin was supposed to be thr 6th single from Ray Of Light I remember it was supposed to have an unreleased song as B-side. I cannot remember the name but I have never seen it listed on any list of unreleased songs.

Light rumours about Mother and Ftaher.

Light rumours about Push which I doubt as it was only 1 of only 2 songs from Confessions not performed on the tour.

Sanctuary    0
9 minutes ago, cjc said:

Would love to know if Spotlight was considered for a wider release.

I believe Love Don't Live Here Anymore was supposed to be released in the UK but was cancelled due to its low chart position in the USA and I wonder if the poor  performance of Oh Father and One More Chance in the UK had anything to do with it.

Buenos Aires was supposed to be the 4th single from Evita. Hard to guess how it would have performed.

When Skin was supposed to be thr 6th single from Ray Of Light I remember it was supposed to have an unreleased song as B-side. I cannot remember the name but I have never seen it listed on any list of unreleased songs.

Light rumours about Mother and Ftaher.

Light rumours about Push which I doubt as it was only 1 of only 2 songs from Confessions not performed on the tour.

Maybe her management didn't think it was a strong single??? 

muscleguy35    0

also remember that superstar was suppost to be a single? From interscope page It had a released date, tracklist and pre-order availability: SEE BELOW> Unfortunately ended up as a 1-track promo only in Brazil - Maybe thats a good thing as I don't see it as single material considering other better tracks off MDNA. 

INTERSCOPE RECORDS MADONNA – SUPERSTAR EP

The long-awaited Superstar EP will be released January 7, 2013 on iTunes and Amazon.com. It will include remixes by Eddie Amador and Bimbo Jones.

Tracklist:

1. Superstar (Radio Edit)
  2. Superstar (Eddie Amador Club Mix)
  3. Superstar (Bimbo Jones Mix)
  4. Superstar (Eddie Amador Radio Edit)
  5. Superstar (Instrumental)

Check the info page at https://torresinterscope.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/madonna-superstar-remixes-2/