Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Recommended Posts

Confessit    0
5 minutes ago, JWAD said:

I remember the original plan for the second Greatest Hits compilation was to be in 1999, to coincide with the cancelled 1999 tour. Originally The Video Collection 92:99 (it became 93:99 after Erotica was removed and TPOGB was added) was to be a dual disc (CD/DVD) with only 14 tracks, so this would have had space for 2 new songs at least and would have most likely been singles. 

 

Interesting !!!

If she had done that then more gems from her early 90s work would of been captured like TUTBMP and fever that were great hits.

 

 

Edited by Confessit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonski43    0
37 minutes ago, JWAD said:

Love Don't Live Here Anymore was supposed to be released in the UK in August 1996. HMV used to have booklets of upcoming releases and I remember it was included. One More Chance was released in March which was the same time as LDLHA. I reckon it was nixed due to the performance in the US but it would have probably been a hit here, even OMC got to number 11. Another reason might be to build momentum with Evita, with You Must Love Me being release two months later in October.

The LDLHA remixes were great and the Mark! mix was getting played by Pete Tong a lot. 

It would have been a hit in the UK and more successful than Oh Father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWAD    0
1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

The LDLHA remixes were great and the Mark! mix was getting played by Pete Tong a lot. 

It would have been a hit in the UK and more successful than Oh Father. 

I think Oh Father did very well for a single released the week of Christmas 95 and reaching no.16. I think the plan was similar to The Immaculate Collection to give us additional single releases in the UK, like we got the 1991 re-releases of Holiday and Crazy for You. Back then M was still a huge singles artist and I think this is the reason we also got Oh Father and One More Chance but sadly the cancelled LDLHA. This would have resulted in 4 singles from STR, the same as TIC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWAD    0
2 hours ago, Confessit said:

Interesting !!!

If she had done that then more gems from her early 90s work would of been captured like TUTBMP and fever that were great hits.

 

 

I think also with it being a Dual Disc we would have gotten the 92:99 original DVD track list but slightly altered for the CD. I reckon the CD would have included: 

CD:

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper

Bad Girl

Rain

Secret

Take A Bow

Bedtime Story

Human Nature

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Frozen

Ray of Light

Drowned World

The Power of Good-Bye

Nothing Really Matters

Beautiful Stranger

New Song

New Song

 

IMG_9914.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curtains    0

-Madonna: Physical Attraction was released as a promo single in the US in 1983. Otherwise it was released as a double A-Side with Burning Up.

-Like a Virgin: Over and Over was released as a single in Italy and the Philippines in 1985. Love Don't Live Here Anymore was released as a single in Japan the same year in March 1986. The full release of both singles was cancelled due to the single release of Gambler and Live to Tell respectively.

-True Blue: The title track was initially not supposed to be released as a single, but got released due to US' radio demand. Where's the Party was released as a single in the Philippines, and got radio airplay in the US. Its full release was cancelled due to Who's That Girl's soundtrack's release.

-You Can Dance: Spotlight was only released as a single in Japan and in Philippines, and as a promo single in Spain and in Hong Kong in 1988. It got airplay in some other places as well, but it never got a worldwide release (probably in order to sell copies of You Can Dance).

-Like a Prayer: Pray for Spanish Eyes was released as a promo single in Spain in 1990.

-I'm Breathless: Now I'm Following You and Sooner or Later were set to be the third and fourth singles of the album respectively. That was cancelled due to The Immaculate Collection and its singles' release. The former still got a promo release in the US in September 1990.

-Erotica: Bad Girl was going to be the second single of the album, but Deeper and Deeper was released instead (supposedly, due to Erotica's numbers not being as high as expected).

-Bedtime Stories: Some radio stations decided to play Don't Stop instead of the title track when it was released in 1995. Warner wanted it as the fourth single of the album, but Madonna was against it, and Human Nature was released instead. Forbidden Love was planned to be released as the fifth single of the album, but the release was cancelled due to Something to Remember being around the corner. It was instead put on that same compilation.

-Something to Remember: I Want You was set to be the lead single of the compilation, but it didn't happen due to legal reasons. Only a US promo cassette was issued as a result. Love Don't Live Here Anymore's release was cancelled in the UK due to it flopping in other parts of the world.

-Evita: Buenos Aires was supposed to be the fourth single of the soundtrack, but it never happened as Warner didn't wanted to release it (same with Evita Remix EP). Instead, it was released as a promo single in the US and Germany in 1997.

-Ray of Light: Madonna wanted Ray of Light as the lead single, but Frozen was released instead. Warner wanted Sky Fits Heaven as the album's third single, but Madonna prefered Drowned World, which was released instead in non-US countries to fill the gap between ROF and TPOGB's releases. Little Star as a promo single in the UK, it was released as a double A-side single elsewhere. Skin was planned to be the album's sixth and final single, but that got cancelled due to Nothing Really Matters flopping and Beautiful Stanger's single release. It still got a promo release in May 2000 in the US.

-Music: What It Feels Like for a Girl was going to be the album's second single, but Don't Tell Me was released instead. There were also plans for a fourth single: Madonna wanted Impressive Instant, while Warner wanted Amazing. Madonna removed the latter from the DWT's setlist, so that they could not promote it with a video. In the end, Impressive Instant was released as a promo single in the US, the UK and Australia, while Amazing was released as a promo single in Germany, Spain and Colombia.

-American Life: Nobody Knows Me was to be released as the third single of the album. However, the singles didn't performed well, so the whole singles' releases was rushed. It was instead released as a promo single in the US and the UK. Mother and Father was also released as a promo single in 2005 in the US.

-Confessions on a Dancefloor: Initially, only 3 singles were planned to be released. Madonna wanted Hung Up, Get Together and Jump to be released, while Hung Up, Sorry and Jump was what Warner planned (they went with the latter). Get Together was released between Sorry and Jump due to the album's success.

-Hard Candy: Madonna wanted Candy Shop as the lead single, but 4 Minutes was released instead. Beat Goes On was to be released after Give It 2 Me and before Miles Away in case the era was successful. It never materialized.

-MDNA: Masterpiece was released as Radio Single in the UK, and as a promo single in the US and the Netherlands. Madonna wanted Gang Bang as the third single from the album, with Orbit's mix being used for radio. However, Quentin Tarantino refused to shoot the music video for it, so she went with Turn Up the Radio instead. Superstar was set to be the album's worldwide 4th single. However due to the cancellation of the music video, it only got issued as a promo single in Brazil. Madonna also said that she wanted Falling Free to be a single, but it was too "unconventional".

-Rebel Heart: Devil Pray was to be released as a single between Ghosttown and Bitch I'm Madonna in case the era was successful. In the end, it was only released as a promo single in France. Hold Tight was also released as a radio single in Italy instead of Bitch I'm Madonna.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
muscleguy35    0
On 22/08/2017 at 9:10 PM, JWAD said:

I remember the original plan for the second Greatest Hits compilation was to be in 1999, to coincide with the cancelled 1999 tour. Originally The Video Collection 92:99 (it became 93:99 after Erotica was removed and TPOGB was added) was to be a dual disc (CD/DVD) with only 14 tracks, so this would have had space for 2 new songs at least and would have most likely been singles. 

 

theres one called that .. platinum or something like that- but doubt its official - she has the cover with the geisha look -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
muscleguy35    0
On 22/08/2017 at 11:26 PM, Curtains said:

-Madonna: Physical Attraction was released as a promo single in the US in 1983. Otherwise it was released as a double A-Side with Burning Up.

-Like a Virgin: Over and Over was released as a single in Italy and the Philippines in 1985. Love Don't Live Here Anymore was released as a single in Japan the same year in March 1986. The full release of both singles was cancelled due to the single release of Gambler and Live to Tell respectively.

-True Blue: The title track was initially not supposed to be released as a single, but got released due to US' radio demand. Where's the Party was released as a single in the Philippines, and got radio airplay in the US. Its full release was cancelled due to Who's That Girl's soundtrack's release.

-You Can Dance: Spotlight was only released as a single in Japan and in Philippines, and as a promo single in Spain and in Hong Kong in 1988. It got airplay in some other places as well, but it never got a worldwide release (probably in order to sell copies of You Can Dance).

-Like a Prayer: Pray for Spanish Eyes was released as a promo single in Spain in 1990.

-I'm Breathless: Now I'm Following You and Sooner or Later were set to be the third and fourth singles of the album respectively. That was cancelled due to The Immaculate Collection and its singles' release. The former still got a promo release in the US in September 1990.

-Erotica: Bad Girl was going to be the second single of the album, but Deeper and Deeper was released instead (supposedly, due to Erotica's numbers not being as high as expected).

-Bedtime Stories: Some radio stations decided to play Don't Stop instead of the title track when it was released in 1995. Warner wanted it as the fourth single of the album, but Madonna was against it, and Human Nature was released instead. Forbidden Love was planned to be released as the fifth single of the album, but the release was cancelled due to Something to Remember being around the corner. It was instead put on that same compilation.

-Something to Remember: I Want You was set to be the lead single of the compilation, but it didn't happen due to legal reasons. Only a US promo cassette was issued as a result. Love Don't Live Here Anymore's release was cancelled in the UK due to it flopping in other parts of the world.

-Evita: Buenos Aires was supposed to be the fourth single of the soundtrack, but it never happened as Warner didn't wanted to release it (same with Evita Remix EP). Instead, it was released as a promo single in the US and Germany in 1997.

-Ray of Light: Madonna wanted Ray of Light as the lead single, but Frozen was released instead. Warner wanted Sky Fits Heaven as the album's third single, but Madonna prefered Drowned World, which was released instead in non-US countries to fill the gap between ROF and TPOGB's releases. Little Star as a promo single in the UK, it was released as a double A-side single elsewhere. Skin was planned to be the album's sixth and final single, but that got cancelled due to Nothing Really Matters flopping and Beautiful Stanger's single release. It still got a promo release in May 2000 in the US.

-Music: What It Feels Like for a Girl was going to be the album's second single, but Don't Tell Me was released instead. There were also plans for a fourth single: Madonna wanted Impressive Instant, while Warner wanted Amazing. Madonna removed the latter from the DWT's setlist, so that they could not promote it with a video. In the end, Impressive Instant was released as a promo single in the US, the UK and Australia, while Amazing was released as a promo single in Germany, Spain and Colombia.

-American Life: Nobody Knows Me was to be released as the third single of the album. However, the singles didn't performed well, so the whole singles' releases was rushed. It was instead released as a promo single in the US and the UK. Mother and Father was also released as a promo single in 2005 in the US.

-Confessions on a Dancefloor: Initially, only 3 singles were planned to be released. Madonna wanted Hung Up, Get Together and Jump to be released, while Hung Up, Sorry and Jump was what Warner planned (they went with the latter). Get Together was released between Sorry and Jump due to the album's success.

-Hard Candy: Madonna wanted Candy Shop as the lead single, but 4 Minutes was released instead. Beat Goes On was to be released after Give It 2 Me and before Miles Away in case the era was successful. It never materialized.

-MDNA: Masterpiece was released as Radio Single in the UK, and as a promo single in the US and the Netherlands. Madonna wanted Gang Bang as the third single from the album, with Orbit's mix being used for radio. However, Quentin Tarantino refused to shoot the music video for it, so she went with Turn Up the Radio instead. Superstar was set to be the album's worldwide 4th single. However due to the cancellation of the music video, it only got issued as a promo single in Brazil. Madonna also said that she wanted Falling Free to be a single, but it was too "unconventional".

-Rebel Heart: Devil Pray was to be released as a single between Ghosttown and Bitch I'm Madonna in case the era was successful. In the end, it was only released as a promo single in France. Hold Tight was also released as a radio single in Italy instead of Bitch I'm Madonna.

 

INTERSCOPE RECORDSMADONNA – SUPERSTAR EP
The long-awaited Superstar EP will be released January 7, 2013 on iTunes and Amazon.com. It will include remixes by Eddie Amador and Bimbo Jones.
Tracklist:
    1    Superstar (Radio Edit)
    2    Superstar (Eddie Amador Club Mix)
    3    Superstar (Bimbo Jones Mix)
    4    Superstar (Eddie Amador Radio Edit)
    5    Superstar (Instrumental)
Listen to the album version of “Superstar” (from MDNA) here:

Then we got instead the Promo from Brazil!! 

Spotlight should've been released as a single worldwide as it was a brand new track right after the hot fever still on from just having finished the tour in Turin but guess she just wanted to push records sales - missed big chance to have cake and eat it! 

With a good remix production Don't Stop would've been a dance floor hit - Human Nature was a genius choice as a single (And Iconic Video) - 

Thank God Frozen and ROL gave M again a UK#1 and shame Skin was only a promo single - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gus    0
On 22/8/2017 at 7:24 PM, JWAD said:

I think also with it being a Dual Disc we would have gotten the 92:99 original DVD track list but slightly altered for the CD. I reckon the CD would have included: 

CD:

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper

Bad Girl

Rain

Secret

Take A Bow

Bedtime Story

Human Nature

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Frozen

Ray of Light

Drowned World

The Power of Good-Bye

Nothing Really Matters

Beautiful Stranger

New Song

New Song

 

IMG_9914.JPG

Erotica was removed from the video collection only because Wallmart wasn't going to carry it that way, so i don't think a dual disc would've changed that.

I guess they could've included Erotica on the international version but they were never known for their great realeses...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
functions_X    0

HO-LY-FUCK!!! This is brand new information, at least for me

Coming from Pat Leonard himself:

" At the end the label and Madonna's manager weren't so confident about the song Like a Prayer. They tried hard to talk her out of it as a first single. They lost."

Who on earth wouldn't be confident about Like a Prayer?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cocolattee    0
On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, jonski43 said:

The LDLHA remixes were great and the Mark! mix was getting played by Pete Tong a lot. 

It would have been a hit in the UK and more successful than Oh Father. 

I absolutely ADORE the LDLHA remixes
I really wish those would have received an official release (not promo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carta    0
On 8/23/2017 at 8:26 AM, Curtains said:

-Ray of Light: Madonna wanted Ray of Light as the lead single, but Frozen was released instead. Warner wanted Sky Fits Heaven as the album's third single, but Madonna prefered Drowned World, which was released instead in non-US countries to fill the gap between ROF and TPOGB's releases. Little Star as a promo single in the UK, it was released as a double A-side single elsewhere. Skin was planned to be the album's sixth and final single, but that got cancelled due to Nothing Really Matters flopping and Beautiful Stanger's single release. It still got a promo release in May 2000 in the US.

-Music: What It Feels Like for a Girl was going to be the album's second single, but Don't Tell Me was released instead. There were also plans for a fourth single: Madonna wanted Impressive Instant, while Warner wanted Amazing. Madonna removed the latter from the DWT's setlist, so that they could not promote it with a video. In the end, Impressive Instant was released as a promo single in the US, the UK and Australia, while Amazing was released as a promo single in Germany, Spain and Colombia.

 

In the UK, the official release was TPOG/LS (i.e. a double A-side single).  That's how it appeared on the charts at the time, too.

Regarding "Amazing", it was released as a promo single in Australia and got a decent amount of airplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carta    0
On 9/14/2017 at 1:06 PM, functions_X said:

HO-LY-FUCK!!! This is brand new information, at least for me

Coming from Pat Leonard himself:

" At the end the label and Madonna's manager weren't so confident about the song Like a Prayer. They tried hard to talk her out of it as a first single. They lost."

Who on earth wouldn't be confident about Like a Prayer?!

There was a bit of concern at the time about the fact that the verses were so slow and that for the first half of the song, it's quite stop/start.  She wasn't expected to succeed with LTT, either, since it stopped in the middle of the song, but she proved the naysayers wrong on both occasions :beret:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Showdown    0
6 hours ago, Carta said:

In the UK, the official release was TPOG/LS (i.e. a double A-side single).  That's how it appeared on the charts at the time, too.

Regarding "Amazing", it was released as a promo single in Australia and got a decent amount of airplay.

Hmm I've never heard Sky Fits Heaven being considered a single but I guess it makes sense since there were remixes that appeared on the Drowned World single

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Confessit    0
39 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

So why Tarantino refused to shoot the video for "Gang Bang"?

Because he doesn't direct pop videos.

Too be honest im not sure just how reliable it is he was even asked.

I think the fans wanted it and it got back to Madonna and she reacted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish Madonna would release at least 4 singles from every album..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2017 at 4:40 AM, jonski43 said:

The LDLHA remixes were great and the Mark! mix was getting played by Pete Tong a lot. 

It would have been a hit in the UK and more successful than Oh Father. 

True, those LDLHA remixes, they are awesome. Proud to have those under her belt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
S.E.X.    0
On 17.9.2017 at 1:59 PM, Runaway Lover said:

I just wish Madonna would release at least 4 singles from every album..

Same...it's a shame she stopped bothering about singles since Music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2017 at 1:54 PM, Showdown said:

Hmm I've never heard Sky Fits Heaven being considered a single but I guess it makes sense since there were remixes that appeared on the Drowned World single

Rolling Stone reported (If I remember correctly) that the  writer of the poem the song is based on & who is NOT credited with co-writing "Sky Fit's Heaven" agreed to the no credit as long as Madonna didn't release the song as a single. Something to do with a Gap commercial. Long story short, to avoid a nuisance lawsuit, plans for a single release were scrapped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PetrusPan    0

Falling Free is such a big loss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
S.E.X.    0
42 minutes ago, albertogerard said:

Rolling Stone reported (If I remember correctly) that the  writer of the poem the song is based on & who is NOT credited with co-writing "Sky Fit's Heaven" agreed to the no credit as long as Madonna didn't release the song as a single. Something to do with a Gap commercial. Long story short, to avoid a nuisance lawsuit, plans for a single release were scrapped. 

This song was a wasted opportunity. Definitely would have been a better single than DW/SFL (although one of her best songs of all time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gus    0
54 minutes ago, albertogerard said:

Rolling Stone reported (If I remember correctly) that the  writer of the poem the song is based on & who is NOT credited with co-writing "Sky Fit's Heaven" agreed to the no credit as long as Madonna didn't release the song as a single. Something to do with a Gap commercial. Long story short, to avoid a nuisance lawsuit, plans for a single release were scrapped. 

Madonna's publicist confirms that two lines in the chorus of "Sky Fits Heaven," a song on Madonna's new "Ray of Light" album, are taken from a 1993 TV ad for the Gap starring poet Max Blagg.

Blagg's poem included the lines, "Sky fits heaven so fly it, Child fits mother so hold your baby tight." Madonna's song includes both lines, changing the first to "Sky fits heaven so ride it."

Representatives for Madonna say Blagg agreed to a deal where he was paid for the use of the lyrics, but gets no credit on the track. Blagg was unavailable for comment.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1431615/madonna-gets-lyrical-help-from-gap-ad-freezes-for-frozen/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetrusPan said:

Falling Free is such a big loss.

 

:think:

 

1 hour ago, S.E.X. said:

This song was a wasted opportunity. Definitely would have been a better single than DW/SFL (although one of her best songs of all time).

I remember a lot of fans speculating that "SFH" would be the third single and some surprise that "DW/SFL" was being given the single treatment outside North America, though it does seem to have a special place in her heart -- opening the DWT, brought back on CT, getting a one-off on RHT -- so I'd guess it was M herself who pushed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sul8323    0
5 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Same...it's a shame she stopped bothering about singles since Music

American Life and Confessions had a bunch of singles....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Showdown    0
5 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

American Life and Confessions had a bunch of singles....

Yeah that were just tossed out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×