MadonnaNation.com Forums

Does anyone have knowledge on some of the songs that were SUPPOSED to be singles at one time or another ? 

I know madonna had wanted LOVE SONG to be a single and Prince would not do a video ....

also Amazing was to supposed to be a single and Madonna nixed it 

She wanted Candy Shop to be a single.

Also read, and for a long time expected, Unapologetic Bitch to be a single from RH.

An indicator for a future single release is usually the fact that they weren't wasted as b-sides. 

Over and Over and possibly Love Don't Live Here Anymore. Into the Groove and Gambler were never meant for an actual single release. The latter was pushed by Geffen Records and probably resulted in Over and Over's cancellation. The remixes  for that single are the one that was later released on YCD I believe. In comparison: Stay, Pretender and Shoo-Bee-Doo were always meant to serve as b-sides.

Where's the Party was probably going to be a single but was ultimately cancelled in favor of Who's That Girl.

I think either TDDUP or Spanish Eyes (maybe both) were originally meant to be singles instead of Oh Father and Dear Jessie. The former was only released because David Fincher talked her into it and the latter probably because it was released around X-Mas and because M and her label saw the lukewarm reaction to more serious material like Oh Father. Note how both, Spanish Eyes and TDDUP were released as b-sides to both singles.

Now I'm Following You and Sooner or Later were scheduled as singles but cancelled in favor of Justify My Love and The Immaculate Collection

I heard Thief of Hearts was rumored but I highly doubt it.

Forbidden Love was going to be the final single from Bedtime Stories and Don't Stop was going to be the b-side.

I Want You (possibly with Forbidden Love as b-side) was going to be the lead single from Something to Remember.

Apparently Skin was going to be the final single from Ray of Light. Swim was probably going to be the b-side or a single contender as well. Both of these were saved from damnation as b-sides but Skin had a club remix commissioned.

Amazing was Warner's choice as 4th single, whereas Impressive Instant was Madonna's choice. Sabotage on Madonna's part and the overall dispute between both parties resulted in both single's cancellation.

Madonna wanted Candy Shop to be the lead single from Hard Candy but Warner preferred 4 Minutes. I'm pretty sure Beat Goes On was a strong single contender as well but that is pure speculation.

Madonna also said she wanted Falling Free to be a single from MDNA.

6 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

An indicator for a future single release is usually the fact that they weren't wasted as b-sides. 

Over and Over and possibly Love Don't Live Here Anymore. Into the Groove and Gambler were never meant for an actual single release. The latter was pushed by Geffen Records and probably resulted in Over and Over's cancellation. The remixes  for that single are the one that was later released on YCD I believe. In comparison: Stay, Pretender and Shoo-Bee-Doo were always meant to serve as b-sides.

Where's the Party was probably going to be a single but was ultimately cancelled in favor of Who's That Girl.

I think either TDDUP or Spanish Eyes (maybe both) were originally meant to be singles instead of Oh Father and Dear Jessie. The former was only released because David Fincher talked her into it and the latter probably because it was released around X-Mas and because M and her label saw the lukewarm reaction to more serious material like Oh Father. Note how both, Spanish Eyes and TDDUP were released as b-sides to both singles.

Now I'm Following You and Sooner or Later were scheduled as singles but cancelled in favor of Justify My Love and The Immaculate Collection

I heard Thief of Hearts was rumored but I highly doubt it.

Forbidden Love was going to be the final single from Bedtime Stories and Don't Stop was going to be the b-side.

I Want You (possibly with Forbidden Love as b-side) was going to be the lead single from Something to Remember.

Apparently Skin was going to be the final single from Ray of Light. Swim was probably going to be the b-side or a single contender as well. Both of these were saved from damnation as b-sides but Skin had a club remix commissioned.

Amazing was Warner's choice as 4th single, whereas Impressive Instant was Madonna's choice. Sabotage on Madonna's part and the overall dispute between both parties resulted in both single's cancellation.

Madonna wanted Candy Shop to be the lead single from Hard Candy but Warner preferred 4 Minutes. I'm pretty sure Beat Goes On was a strong single contender as well but that is pure speculation.

Madonna also said she wanted Falling Free to be a single from MDNA.

Till Death Do Us Part is pure gold. Her voice sounds AMAZING. The 80's-ness of the music is EPIC. It has that personal narrative that I just absolutely love to hear in Madonna songs. It may not be a popular opinion, but I'll just go ahead and put it out there. I think TDDUP was the best song on that album and that album had A LOT of great songs. 

TDTUP would've been a #1 

the video would've been magic

Love Spent and I'm Addicted were a wasted single choice.  as was Beatiful Killer. even I Fucked Up would've been a stronger single choice than GMAYL

1 hour ago, MaddyFanatic said:

TDTUP would've been a #1 

Love Spent and I'm Addicted were a wasted single choice.  as was Beatiful Killer. even I Fucked Up would've been a stronger single choice than GMAYL

Yup. I thought the same thing about Love Spent and I'm Addicted. 

Wow. So many Chicago peeps. 🤗

14 hours ago, MaddyFanatic said:

TDTUP would've been a #1 

Erm.. TDTUP is indeed her 10th #1 on Billboard Hot 100.

She was the first woman in music history to achieve 10 number 1 hits.

Edit: Apology to MaddyFanatic, and thanks to albert for the correction. I was confused by the acronyms.

13 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

According to discogs site, over and over was released as a seven inch single in Italy and Philippines. 12"was also released in Italy. The b-side was borderine.

Don't know why it was only released n those two countries.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

According to discogs site, over and over was released as a seven inch single in Italy and Philippines. 12"was also released in Italy. The b-side was borderine.

Don't know why it was only released n those two countries.

LDLHA was also released as a regional single. I think they were planning on releasing those two earlier but when the Geffen Records singles and Into the Groove got in the way they pushed them back. Later, in 1986 they were doing test phases in selected markets to see if it was still worth it. I suppose they decided against it (especially with Live To Tell being just around the corner) but I mean...even if you look at the LAV trackless it's so apparent which songs were meant to be A-sides and which songs were going to be b-sides lol.

I remember reading in a gossip column (I think it was Liz Smith) that Madonna was going to be at a particular studio filming the video for Now I'm Following You, then of course nothing came of it. But they must have come close with that one.

I think she wanted I Love New York for the second single. 

7 hours ago, horn said:

Erm.. TDTUP is indeed her 10th #1 on Billboard Hot 100.

She was the first woman in music history to achieve 10 number 1 hits.

TDTUP is "Till Death Do Us Part" from the 'Like A Prayer' album. You're confusing it with TUTBMP, as in "This Used To Be My Playground".

Impressive Instant would've been a great single, imagine how the video would've looked?!

22 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

Impressive Instant would've been a great single, imagine how the video would've looked?!

I think Madonna sometimes picks songs like these because they offer a lot of options visually. Warner is thinking about radio play. 

Impressive Instant would have been huge.  Shame.

1 hour ago, Supernatural said:

I think Madonna sometimes picks songs like these because they offer a lot of options visually. Warner is thinking about radio play. 

Completely agree and the video would have been great. 

36 minutes ago, Skin said:

Impressive Instant would have been huge.  Shame.

Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, animalinstinct said:

Flashy and fast AF. Oh, one can only dream. 

3 hours ago, albertogerard said:

TDTUP is "Till Death Do Us Part" from the 'Like A Prayer' album. You're confusing it with TUTBMP, as in "This Used To Be My Playground".

:rotfl: Silly me! I was confused by the acronyms.

Thanks for the correction. :horn: 

6 hours ago, Supernatural said:

I remember reading in a gossip column (I think it was Liz Smith) that Madonna was going to be at a particular studio filming the video for Now I'm Following You, then of course nothing came of it. But they must have come close with that one.

Yup. I mean the single already had a few test pressings from what I've heard.

6 hours ago, loowee said:

I think she wanted I Love New York for the second single. 

LMAO either that or Let It Will Be (Paper Faces Remix). I'm pretty sure Get Together was her overall favorite...or was it Future Lovers?

I remember as a child hearing Where's The Party on my local radio station quite a bit.  This was after LIB was peaking in airplay.  I wonder if this was just in my area.

I also remember a bit of airplay for Don't Stop in the fall of 1995.

4 hours ago, Shane said:

I remember as a child hearing Where's The Party on my local radio station quite a bit.  This was after LIB was peaking in airplay.  I wonder if this was just in my area.

I also remember a bit of airplay for Don't Stop in the fall of 1995.

I remember hearing Don't Stop on the radio in summer '95 too! HN had already been out for a while and I remember thinking how odd it was they were playing DS instead. I paid attention to Madonna's chart peaks back then and assumed they were "rushing" DS since HN wasn't a big hit.....of course I was completely wrong...lol.

It's a shame Impressive Instant wasn't released. Yes, it would've been a risk but I really think people would've been receptive to that kind of release from her at that time. The possibilities are endless for an II video.....could've been one of her best! At the very least, she could've had a big MTV hit on her hands. 

13 hours ago, albertogerard said:

Wouldn't it be "TDDUP?"

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

I remember hearing Don't Stop on the radio in summer '95 too! HN had already been out for a while and I remember thinking how odd it was they were playing DS instead. I paid attention to Madonna's chart peaks back then and assumed they were "rushing" DS since HN wasn't a big hit.....of course I was completely wrong...lol.

It's a shame Impressive Instant wasn't released. Yes, it would've been a risk but I really think people would've been receptive to that kind of release from her at that time. The possibilities are endless for an II video.....could've been one of her best! At the very least, she could've had a big MTV hit on her hands. 

II has to be one of the biggest lost opportunities. It would have been a sizesble hit for her as it was peak Midas touch era.

Its a shane as that style of song was so alien at the time however it became such a blue print during the later 2000s when the US finally moved beyond its RnB dirge.

the song literally blew my mind when I heard it as a 17 year old, and was an early pre cursor to my love of electronics.

On Saturday, July 08, 2017 at 0:23 AM, Sanctuary said:

Till Death Do Us Part is pure gold. Her voice sounds AMAZING. The 80's-ness of the music is EPIC. It has that personal narrative that I just absolutely love to hear in Madonna songs. It may not be a popular opinion, but I'll just go ahead and put it out there. I think TDDUP was the best song on that album and that album had A LOT of great songs. 

TDDUP is my favorite from album as well. Just feel it's a very special and heartfelt track. 

Amazing got to promo stage but M dropped it from the live show so Warner's couldn't film it for a video. Impressive instant even won a fan poll to be the 4th single!

NIFY got several dance mixes made. 

IWY was going to be the first single but there were contract issues hence video but no release. 

As for candy shop, wasn't it reported that M was disappointed at a listening party that people didn't go for it and preferred other songs.

Santa Baby with Supernatural as the b side was intended for an 88 release.

I don't remember any rumours about WTP being planned as a single especially as YCD was meant to be released at Christmas 86. 

M wanted Bedtime story to be the first single. 

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

Santa Baby with Supernatural as the b side was intended for an 88 release.

Sorry gotta quash this one. Was discussed at length years ago on other forums - urban myth due to confused info about a promo cassette which turned out to be fake.

Never ever was the case that Santa Baby (A&M Records 1987 track) would be a single a year affer its release, with a WB "Like a Prayer" reject song as b-side. Sorry!

Off tangent a bit but kinda related - Like A Prayer album was originally scheduled for a Christmas 1988 release. Officially announced to the press in the last quarter of that year (along with album title). It's title and Christmas release date are mentioned at the end of an interview piece in the December issue of "Fame" magazine btw which came in early November'88!