MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

MADONNA REWIND: Prince Tribute 2016

the music wasn't good enough.  sounded like a cheap karaoke track.  she would've been better off singing NCTU as a piano/violin track.

She seemed rushed and nervous 

too bad she didn't take a try @ Take Me With U or Baby Im A Star

but the Purple rain part was nice.  maybe no Stevie Wonder needed 

I love the song that she chose. Loved the look. Loved the atmosphere. Loved the emotion. But at certain parts the vocals were far from great. She has done a lot worse (ROL fiasco on MTV awards), but she could have killed it had she trained more her vocals/was less nervous...

I think we all love her voice, but a lot of times it's her actual vocal tone that screws it up imo.

A few bum notes are okay if a performer is totally in2 it...but a lot times she produces a weird sound
and comes off sounding like hard work while not a whole lote of volume is coming out.

Granted she was never a vocal power house, but she used to more than make up 4 it with a certain
charm & spirit & emotion...

And then she has these moments where it sounds like she's not even trying, which puzzles me the most,
like in that Express Yourself clip (okay those were weird circumstances)...but also in her uptempo
guitar performances...As if she doesn't even care. Which is weird cuz she's supposed 2 b this perfectionist.

And having edited and overdubbed her concert recordings 4 decades now, I wonder what goes on in her head.

Or is it like in that Friends episode where Phoebe gets 2 hear the edited Smelly Cat ad :lol:

"U guys I totally sounds great!" :rotfl:

Yet Celine fully lip synced at the same show on the same night and received praise from everyone. :rotfl: 

She sounded fine... sounded like Madonna singing live on a televised awards show with tears streaming down her face. The social media/news cesspit chomping at the bit to destroy her performance surely did nothing to help ease her nerves.

I hate that Prince is gone and I hate the beating Madonna takes for still being here.

The collision of the two things makes it difficult to rate this performance beyond intention; a tasteful tribute to one of the few legitimate peers M had on this planet.

39 minutes ago, Mattress said:

She sounded fine... sounded like Madonna singing live on a televised awards show with tears streaming down her face. The social media/news cesspit chomping at the bit to destroy her performance surely did nothing to help ease her nerves.

I hate that Prince is gone and I hate the beating Madonna takes for still being here.

The collision of the two things makes it difficult to rate this performance beyond intention; a tasteful tribute to one of the few legitimate peers M had on this planet.

and ur avatar is killing me

I'm weeping

Crying and shivering in a corner #Suedehead

15 hours ago, Mattress said:

Mattress, Always love what you post.  What you said about hating Prince being gone and Madonna getting a beating for still being here is so true. It is heart breaking that we have lost every other superstar who become legends in the 80's  - MIchael Jackson, Prince, Whitney, George Michael.  Madonna is the beacon of light left and she keeps getting trashed on Twitter etc. She has endured that her whole career and still does.  The fact vicious fools were trashing her involvement BEFORE she even performed was heartless, ignorant and cruel.  

I think her vocal performance was ok considering the circumstances. The only thing I would criticize is the song selection and the form of presentation, it was all a bit literal for my taste and didn't really capture the eccentric powerful essence of Prince. You don't have to go Gaga and do a clowneske Circus show but a little more energy would have been great. 

On 07/07/2017 at 11:26 AM, Sanctuary said:

OMG. I love you @Jazzy Jan

:kiss2:  Love you too Sanctuary

I know many did not like her singing with Stevie Wonder but I loved seeing her with one of her idols.  Two amazing and true superstars together honouring another superstar they loved. 

Related image

On 5.7.2017 at 10:31 PM, Illuminati said:

I never really cared for the "Purple Rain" segment, but I love the "Nothing Compares 2 U" part.

Maybe it's not perfect vocally, but there's something about her voice which totally gets me. Full of emotion, devastation and sadness. Everything comes from her heart and it shows in her vocals imo. When she starts the line "I know that living with me baby was sometimes hard", it's indeed a bit hard to listen to, but I love it overall. 

Agree about the arrangment though. Those casio keyboard drum sounds are awful.

They've been present since the MDNA tour. Thanks to fucking Kevin Antunes who is one hell of a terrible producer. His mixes sound like cheap ass karaoke tracks.

On ‎5‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 10:43 PM, techno101 said:

C-A-N-D-Y...

actually, she coulve done candy shop + sexy M.F. medley..

On July 6, 2017 at 0:06 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

Then explain this atrocity where she sounded dry as hell. Whose singing style was she imitating here? Oops I forgot. This is actually HER OWN SONG and not a cover. 

She had a cold or flu here. Even her speaking voice at the March was very hoarse and raspy, nothing like she usually sounds.  I don't think it's fair to lump this in with the Prince tribute which was very nice vocally.  She was lucky she could get any sound out given how bad her throat was. I don't think it's fair to hold this up as her standard performance because she was sick and usually sounds nothing like this. 

14 hours ago, acko said:

I think we all love her voice, but a lot of times it's her actual vocal tone that screws it up imo.

A few bum notes are okay if a performer is totally in2 it...but a lot times she produces a weird sound
and comes off sounding like hard work while not a whole lote of volume is coming out.

Granted she was never a vocal power house, but she used to more than make up 4 it with a certain
charm & spirit & emotion...

And then she has these moments where it sounds like she's not even trying, which puzzles me the most,
like in that Express Yourself clip (okay those were weird circumstances)...but also in her uptempo
guitar performances...As if she doesn't even care. Which is weird cuz she's supposed 2 b this perfectionist.

And having edited and overdubbed her concert recordings 4 decades now, I wonder what goes on in her head.

Or is it like in that Friends episode where Phoebe gets 2 hear the edited Smelly Cat ad :lol:

"U guys I totally sounds great!" :rotfl:

You hate everything she does. You hold her to an impossible standard with your cruel nasty posts. How do you know she wasn't trying? Of course you will blame me for being over sensitive, but sick of your bullying posts with all your misspellings. You think you are funny but you are just gross. 

I find the instrumentsl super chessy

Again as we saw on the rebel heart tour there is soemthing wrong with her band/harmonies, its all digital and she prob only sings to instrumentsl versions

On 7/6/2017 at 7:25 AM, Glindathegood said:

Why is it at the time when everyone was watching it live, everyone here was praising it and saying it was beautiful? But now everyone says it was awful? It seems to me people are influenced by the negativity of the media and social media instead of making up their own mind whether they like something. Everyone has to go along with the crowd and is scared to have an alternative opinion. A dance song would have been nice, but maybe not appropriate so soon after Prince's death. I thought her vocals were lovely and heart felt and she didn't deserve all the hate and ridicule. 

I was gonna say.....the tone of this thread is surprising to me because I remember a COMPLETELY different story that night and the days immediately following. She was getting praised to the high heavens for the tribute....not outside of the Madonna fan community obviously...lol...but here? YES. She was praised by most if I recall. I don't care what anyone says, as it's proven time and time again......people DO tend to follow the crowd. I wish someone would pull up the thread from the day MDNA leaked. I distinctly remember even the most vile of members saying it's her "best since ROL"......but as soon as that HUGE drop in sales from week 1 to week 2 happened and was heavily covered by the media, the whole tone changed. This Prince tribute is the same situation. I guess we're all guilty of it sometimes but it's just a shame to see as from here on out MOST things she does are going to be mocked and criticized outside of the fan base....not to be a negative Nancy but it's true. She's gonna have to "pull a ROL + LAP" combined in order to overcome that as she ages. It's unfortunate that a lot of her fans aren't going to be able to handle that and most likely will abandon her (as we've seen already) in order to be "cool".

It really didn't matter what she chose to perform. She was going to get slammed regardless. She was even before she performed anything! At the time, I thought (my wish) for her to do Controversy in a similar outfit to her BBMA '13 appearance would've been too much and considered "disrespectful" but hell....she was covered from head to toe and sang a ballad and received some of the worst criticism I've ever seen her receive so maybe she should've went the other direction. A tribute to his VMA's '91 performance perhaps? People acted as if Madonna was going to be the ONLY artist selected to do a tribute to him when the truth is, there's room for her tribute and the "big voiced, soulful" tributes as well. She was just as worthy as ANYONE....in fact MORE SO than some that did do "appropriate" tributes (ie: blatantly copy) him. BET was absolutely disrespectful to her and Prince with their little remarks.

As for her voice, as someone else mentioned, it sounded like Madonna's award show performance voice. Certainly not the voice we were used to hearing on RHT but FAR from being anywhere near her worst vocal performance.  I hope she does a Prince cover on her next album and performs it EVERY night on tour. Fuck those people that have a problem with it. 

9 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

You hate everything she does. You hold her to an impossible standard with your cruel nasty posts. How do you know she wasn't trying? Of course you will blame me for being over sensitive, but sick of your bullying posts with all your misspellings. You think you are funny but you are just gross. 

Seriously...get help...u either have mental issues or ur a troll.

4 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I was gonna say.....the tone of this thread is surprising to me because I remember a COMPLETELY different story that night and the days immediately following. She was getting praised to the high heavens for the tribute....not outside of the Madonna fan community obviously...lol...but here? YES. She was praised by most if I recall.

IKR? Most people here were stanning hard for this performance. I said something about the shaky notes and people jumped on me. Also you guys were saying Nothing Compares 2 U was a smart choice because she could avoid the Prince comparisons and the message suited the tribute.

A year later and now everyone on madonnanation is like "the performance was meh and she picked the wrong song..." WTF? :rotfl: 

53 minutes ago, loowee said:

IKR? Most people here were stanning hard for this performance. I said something about the shaky notes and people jumped on me. Also you guys were saying Nothing Compares 2 U was a smart choice because she could avoid the Prince comparisons and the message suited the tribute.

A year later and now everyone on madonnanation is like "the performance was meh and she picked the wrong song..." WTF? :rotfl: 

Thats Madonna fans for ya! finicky and indecisive. one minute they love something...the next minute they hate it and vice versa. 

""Come on, bash! Let your ideas gooooo with the floowww hey hey heeeeyyy""

Madonna fans new anthem.

And sorry but you people are overreacting. She received tons of positive media coverage after the tribute. The only ones who dissed it were a small but loud part of Prince fans + those BET bitches. 

The comments under the tribute video on Youtube are all positive too. 

PS: @Kurt420 I WANT MORE TEA!! MORE MORE MORE! :clap:

12 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Good grief stop being such a drama queen. He is not a bully and he is certainly not a hater troll. He is a huge longtime loyal loon fan, FACT. You're more of a troll with your occasional meltdowns and breaks from the forum. Put him on ignore if you're going to get TRIGGERED anytime you see him post. 

7 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I was gonna say.....the tone of this thread is surprising to me because I remember a COMPLETELY different story that night and the days immediately following. She was getting praised to the high heavens for the tribute....not outside of the Madonna fan community obviously...lol...but here? YES. She was praised by most if I recall. I don't care what anyone says, as it's proven time and time again......people DO tend to follow the crowd. I wish someone would pull up the thread from the day MDNA leaked. I distinctly remember even the most vile of members saying it's her "best since ROL"......but as soon as that HUGE drop in sales from week 1 to week 2 happened and was heavily covered by the media, the whole tone changed. This Prince tribute is the same situation. I guess we're all guilty of it sometimes but it's just a shame to see as from here on out MOST things she does are going to be mocked and criticized outside of the fan base....not to be a negative Nancy but it's true. She's gonna have to "pull a ROL + LAP" combined in order to overcome that as she ages. It's unfortunate that a lot of her fans aren't going to be able to handle that and most likely will abandon her (as we've seen already) in order to be "cool".

It really didn't matter what she chose to perform. She was going to get slammed regardless. She was even before she performed anything! At the time, I thought (my wish) for her to do Controversy in a similar outfit to her BBMA '13 appearance would've been too much and considered "disrespectful" but hell....she was covered from head to toe and sang a ballad and received some of the worst criticism I've ever seen her receive so maybe she should've went the other direction. A tribute to his VMA's '91 performance perhaps? People acted as if Madonna was going to be the ONLY artist selected to do a tribute to him when the truth is, there's room for her tribute and the "big voiced, soulful" tributes as well. She was just as worthy as ANYONE....in fact MORE SO than some that did do "appropriate" tributes (ie: blatantly copy) him. BET was absolutely disrespectful to her and Prince with their little remarks.

As for her voice, as someone else mentioned, it sounded like Madonna's award show performance voice. Certainly not the voice we were used to hearing on RHT but FAR from being anywhere near her worst vocal performance.  I hope she does a Prince cover on her next album and performs it EVERY night on tour. Fuck those people that have a problem with it. 

THIS.

God bless you Kurt420. 

Hi @Kurt420 while I agree on many of the points you made in your post. I also think we can't make generalisations about people's perception changing over time, while its true that many people change based on the public acceptance of Madonna's projects, others might not. 

In my case, I have been in this ride since the Borderline/Lucky Star singles, and believe me, if i gave importance to what people think about M, I would have quitted a long long time ago (since the Minnie Mouse on helium voice and Chubby days). There were Madonna projects, that because of my age, state of mind, what I was going through, not paying enough attention to... weren't as impactful as they are today, for example I didn't connect with the BS Album when it came out and now is one of my definitive favourites, there are performances that I just liked and now they marvel me and make me think: why didn't I perceived the magnificence of the performance in its time? I adored and lived for the ROL Album when it came out, it was my guiding light and my church and now its not on even on my top 5 albums... There's this case with the LFL Grammies performance where Madonna made a strut where she looked super heavy, then she pushed the minotaurs back looking super weird, she immediately corrected those dance steps for the next performance, I loved it anyway, but if you ask me, the Brits performance with its iconic fall was far a much better presentation than the Grammies one. I the case of the Prince Tribute I didn't love it then and I don't love it now, its not a case of supporting M or not, IMHO its is a case of things connecting and clicking with you or not, but in any case that doesn't make me less of a Stan for everything that is Madonna. 

I have never understood the ageism issue, I can´t even understand people criticizing and valuing people by their age, don't they realize that they are getting old too??? For me turning your back on Madonna because she's getting older and uncool is like turning you back on your parents because of the same issue, it is just idiotic, at least in my country "older artists" are greatly admired... I really don't want another ROL or LP, I want M to keep experimenting, presenting new amazing things as the RH Album and RH era... 

I stopped caring a long time ago if the world is fair to Madonna or not, obviously I would love her to have the recognition she deserves. I don't care if Britney or Beyonce or you name it, are media darlings and they have a free pass, they are not her peers just because they are on the same industry, I find it even disrespectful to make any kind of comparison between any pop star and M, She is a category on its own, an unique artist, a crusader and she's going to have a bigger resistance than the other puppets in the business... there is a copy from an Apple TV add that i can place the name of Madonna just in front of it: 

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

And thats exactly what happens with M... 

Sorry I really needed to vent... 

:inlove::inlove:

12 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

And now this same mentality is creeping into Rebel Heart as well. With Living For Love being a frequent target of maligning. And it's so laughable considering the orgasms that song gave this forum when it dropped. 

It was an underwhelming performance let's be honest. And choosing to sing Purple Rain/Nothing Compares 2 U was a a big mistake as her voice just isn't powerful enough. I agree with others in that she should have gone the dance route and performed Kiss or I Wanna Be Your Lover. And I'm not bashing her, just giving an honest opinion on someone whose career I have followed for decades. Most of the time she hits the spot and sometimes she falls flat. Simply a fact.

3 minutes ago, Elysium said:

It was an underwhelming performance let's be honest. And choosing to sing Purple Rain/Nothing Compares 2 U was a a big mistake as her voice just isn't powerful enough. I agree with others in that she should have gone the dance route and performed Kiss or I Wanna Be Your Lover. And I'm not bashing her, just giving an honest opinion on someone whose career I have followed for decades. Most of the time she hits the spot and sometimes she falls flat. Simply a fact.

"Simply a fact."  So even though half of the people like it, your opinion somehow is "simply a fact."  Ok.  And "her voice just isn't powerful enough."  Could you at least give specifics?  Do you find her pitchy?  Off key?  Do you think she didn't hit the notes?

Is her voice "not powerful enough" to sing Like A Prayer?  

25 minutes ago, Shane said:

"Simply a fact."  So even though half of the people like it, your opinion somehow is "simply a fact."  Ok.  And "her voice just isn't powerful enough."  Could you at least give specifics?  Do you find her pitchy?  Off key?  Do you think she didn't hit the notes?

Is her voice "not powerful enough" to sing Like A Prayer?  

Like a Prayer is her song though sang with her might.

Following Sinaed and Prince on Nothing compares 2 U and Purple Rain was a mistake vocally. Hence the big backlash.

22 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Like a Prayer is her song though sang with her might.

Following Sinaed and Prince on Nothing compares 2 U and Purple Rain was a mistake vocally. Hence the big backlash.

Fair enough.  I'll just agree to disagree.  I don't believe that the woman who sang the entire score of Rice-Webber's Evita and won them an Oscar in the process was making some big mistake by covering Purple Rain and Nothing Compares 2 U.  If others feel her voice isn't powerful enough, that she made a tragic error and should simply stick to dance tunes, more power to you.  To each our own.

The only fact in my opinion is that she put her soul in this tribute 

well, about the fans' reaction on the forum -- fans tend to positively overact about any new release/song/performance/photo etc.... everything is best ever, amazing, brilliant etc, and with time they get the perspective.

That said, I just think that it's a bit inappropriate (for the lack of a better word) to do a tribute to a brilliant instrumentalist/vocalist with a shaky vocal performance.... emotional or not...

Guest ESchneider

Prince tribute was fine. It's a shame race was made an issue, yet again