MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

MADONNA REWIND: Prince Tribute 2016

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think it's a very beautiful performance, the entrance, the throne, the outfit, the color palette, the cane and the rosary, she was the only true superstar who indeed had a relationship with Prince, but the song selection was too iconic from Sinead O. There were too many past cultural references attached to this song.

I've never cared if Madonna hits the note or not or is in perfect pitch all the time, that's not what she's about, and I'm a Stan for everything she does, I have always admired her determination to conquer whatever challenge comes across her but this time she was trying too hard, which in the end is perfectly fine by me. 

@Sanctuary I love Love Song, but I'm not sure if the audience would have had any reference to this song to connect with. 

7 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

And yes, @Sanctuary I agree with Love Song. A performance with Lenny Kravitz would've been divine. 

I just really like Love Song and think it would have been cool to hear a Madonna song the we've never heard live before, but that is the selfish inner Madonna fan in me. LOL. Yes, Lenny Kravitz would have been PERFECT for that duet.  She probably would have been criticized for using one of her songs, but let's get realm she's critized every time she sneeze, so who the f&ck cares. LOL. I love how strong peapple feel about this thread. I did not think it was going to blow up so hard. I love the diversity of opinions of all Madonna fans. We are truly a big tent. 

15 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

And we should stop using "she was so full of emotions" as an excuse for her poor live vocals, really. Having some vocal lessons is more beneficial for her reputation at this point rather than directing yet another movie that nobody cares about. 

Love you on here Crystal Coffin and I do see your point.  I always feel that too many excuses are given for professional performers in general but do feel that in this occasion,  Madonna was incredibly emotional and nervous and it was very touching and true.  She has received dreadful backlash for daring to want to do the Prince tribute, she adored him as a friend and colleague and this was sincerely from her heart.  Prince, MJ and Madonna were considered the Holy Trinity of pop and now she is the only superstar to emerge from the 80's left.    She adored Prince and wanted the honour him.  I personally thought it was beautiful and seeing the absolute bucketing on twitter/social media etc that she got was horrible.  Remember at the same awards,  Britney mimed completely to her hits and was praised non stop.  Madonna basically has to always be perfect and is bashed to high heaven all the time.  This is one time where I think that emotion can be taken into account.  It was not just a live performance as she was very emotional about the loss of Prince as a friend and peer. 

11 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Love you on here Crystal Coffin and I do see your point.  I always feel that too many excuses are given for professional performers in general but do feel that in this occasion,  Madonna was incredibly emotional and nervous and it was very touching and true.  She has received dreadful backlash for daring to want to do the Prince tribute, she adored him as a friend and colleague and this was sincerely from her heart.  Prince, MJ and Madonna were considered the Holy Trinity of pop and now she is the only superstar to emerge from the 80's left.    She adored Prince and wanted the honour him.  I personally thought it was beautiful and seeing the absolute bucketing on twitter/social media etc that she got was horrible.  Remember at the same awards,  Britney mimed completely to her hits and was praised non stop.  Madonna basically has to always be perfect and is bashed to high heaven all the time.  This is one time where I think that emotion can be taken into account.  It was not just a live performance as she was very emotional about the loss of Prince as a friend and peer. 

OMG. I love you @Jazzy Jan

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

I really think we can't compare this performance with Madonna's great performances, emotional or not, a true grieving friend, or the last standing icon, she was struggling and worried all the way trough the song, and IMHO it had to do with trying to hard to succeed in a tricky scenario, and honestly that's fine. 

I'm not judging her, I will never do and I've defended her for the last 34 years, but being objective I can't say this was a good representation of Madonna's amazing performance abilities. We saw her being truly vulnerable and emotional on the Rebel Heart Tour when the Rocco situation was going on and she was delivering magic. 

I do understand she was emotionally affected by the loss of a friend and I do consider the harsh criticism and backlash to be truly cruel and unnecessary and like trough out all her career unjustified.

In the end this doesn't diminish my love or  my admiration for her, nothing could ever do, it only brings me closer by seeing she's human like the rest of us. 

I do have to say, though, that the audio filmed from inside the arena sounded very strong. Her voice often seems richer with that echo-ey/reverb-y/in-house sound when listening to bootlegs of her live performance audio.  Then you hear the soundboard/official audio, and it's often 'flattened out' (so to speak).

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Britney getting praised for that is so puzzling that I just pretend it didn't happen.

Just rewatched this and am honestly confused as to what people don't like about her vocal performance.  I'm reading all of these horrible comments on YouTube and honestly it just seems like people have heard that "Madonna can't sing" for so many years that they just regurgitate the line.

The vocal sounds lovely to me.  Do people think she isn't hitting certain notes?  Since so many people on here seem to detest her singing, what is it that you don't like?  Do you find her pitchy, whiny, off key? What is the specific reason that you find Madonna's singing to be poor?

I love this performance (and the C-A-N-D-Y opening) and the costume.

I need an mp3 of this and am too dumb to make one :madgemanson:

7 hours ago, Shane said:

Britney getting praised for that is so puzzling that I just pretend it didn't happen.

Just rewatched this and am honestly confused as to what people don't like about her vocal performance.  I'm reading all of these horrible comments on YouTube and honestly it just seems like people have heard that "Madonna can't sing" for so many years that they just regurgitate the line.

The vocal sounds lovely to me.  Do people think she isn't hitting certain notes?  Since so many people on here seem to detest her singing, what is it that you don't like?  Do you find her pitchy, whiny, off key? What is the specific reason that you find Madonna's singing to be poor?

It's crazy... lovely indeed.

I thought it was a great performance. She looked lovely and sounded great. Couple of bum notes here and there but the good far out weighed the bad in this case. Who cares what critics or trolls have to say, madonna has a fabulous career and life and they don't. I think fans should stay away from social media comments. I can say wholeheartedly that I've never scrolled down to read the comments sections on her videos, performances or social media posts. I don't want to read negative things about an artist that I love and I don't want to be affected by it because it hurts me. I urge all of you to do the same and just enjoy the precious time left that we have with Madonna and enjoy the moment.

the music wasn't good enough.  sounded like a cheap karaoke track.  she would've been better off singing NCTU as a piano/violin track.

She seemed rushed and nervous 

too bad she didn't take a try @ Take Me With U or Baby Im A Star

but the Purple rain part was nice.  maybe no Stevie Wonder needed 

I love the song that she chose. Loved the look. Loved the atmosphere. Loved the emotion. But at certain parts the vocals were far from great. She has done a lot worse (ROL fiasco on MTV awards), but she could have killed it had she trained more her vocals/was less nervous...

I think we all love her voice, but a lot of times it's her actual vocal tone that screws it up imo.

A few bum notes are okay if a performer is totally in2 it...but a lot times she produces a weird sound
and comes off sounding like hard work while not a whole lote of volume is coming out.

Granted she was never a vocal power house, but she used to more than make up 4 it with a certain
charm & spirit & emotion...

And then she has these moments where it sounds like she's not even trying, which puzzles me the most,
like in that Express Yourself clip (okay those were weird circumstances)...but also in her uptempo
guitar performances...As if she doesn't even care. Which is weird cuz she's supposed 2 b this perfectionist.

And having edited and overdubbed her concert recordings 4 decades now, I wonder what goes on in her head.

Or is it like in that Friends episode where Phoebe gets 2 hear the edited Smelly Cat ad :lol:

"U guys I totally sounds great!" :rotfl:

Yet Celine fully lip synced at the same show on the same night and received praise from everyone. :rotfl: 

She sounded fine... sounded like Madonna singing live on a televised awards show with tears streaming down her face. The social media/news cesspit chomping at the bit to destroy her performance surely did nothing to help ease her nerves.

I hate that Prince is gone and I hate the beating Madonna takes for still being here.

The collision of the two things makes it difficult to rate this performance beyond intention; a tasteful tribute to one of the few legitimate peers M had on this planet.

39 minutes ago, Mattress said:

She sounded fine... sounded like Madonna singing live on a televised awards show with tears streaming down her face. The social media/news cesspit chomping at the bit to destroy her performance surely did nothing to help ease her nerves.

I hate that Prince is gone and I hate the beating Madonna takes for still being here.

The collision of the two things makes it difficult to rate this performance beyond intention; a tasteful tribute to one of the few legitimate peers M had on this planet.

and ur avatar is killing me

I'm weeping

Crying and shivering in a corner #Suedehead

15 hours ago, Mattress said:

Mattress, Always love what you post.  What you said about hating Prince being gone and Madonna getting a beating for still being here is so true. It is heart breaking that we have lost every other superstar who become legends in the 80's  - MIchael Jackson, Prince, Whitney, George Michael.  Madonna is the beacon of light left and she keeps getting trashed on Twitter etc. She has endured that her whole career and still does.  The fact vicious fools were trashing her involvement BEFORE she even performed was heartless, ignorant and cruel.  

I think her vocal performance was ok considering the circumstances. The only thing I would criticize is the song selection and the form of presentation, it was all a bit literal for my taste and didn't really capture the eccentric powerful essence of Prince. You don't have to go Gaga and do a clowneske Circus show but a little more energy would have been great. 

On 07/07/2017 at 11:26 AM, Sanctuary said:

OMG. I love you @Jazzy Jan

:kiss2:  Love you too Sanctuary

I know many did not like her singing with Stevie Wonder but I loved seeing her with one of her idols.  Two amazing and true superstars together honouring another superstar they loved. 

Related image

On 5.7.2017 at 10:31 PM, Illuminati said:

I never really cared for the "Purple Rain" segment, but I love the "Nothing Compares 2 U" part.

Maybe it's not perfect vocally, but there's something about her voice which totally gets me. Full of emotion, devastation and sadness. Everything comes from her heart and it shows in her vocals imo. When she starts the line "I know that living with me baby was sometimes hard", it's indeed a bit hard to listen to, but I love it overall. 

Agree about the arrangment though. Those casio keyboard drum sounds are awful.

They've been present since the MDNA tour. Thanks to fucking Kevin Antunes who is one hell of a terrible producer. His mixes sound like cheap ass karaoke tracks.

On ‎5‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 10:43 PM, techno101 said:

C-A-N-D-Y...

actually, she coulve done candy shop + sexy M.F. medley..

On July 6, 2017 at 0:06 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

Then explain this atrocity where she sounded dry as hell. Whose singing style was she imitating here? Oops I forgot. This is actually HER OWN SONG and not a cover. 

She had a cold or flu here. Even her speaking voice at the March was very hoarse and raspy, nothing like she usually sounds.  I don't think it's fair to lump this in with the Prince tribute which was very nice vocally.  She was lucky she could get any sound out given how bad her throat was. I don't think it's fair to hold this up as her standard performance because she was sick and usually sounds nothing like this. 

14 hours ago, acko said:

I think we all love her voice, but a lot of times it's her actual vocal tone that screws it up imo.

A few bum notes are okay if a performer is totally in2 it...but a lot times she produces a weird sound
and comes off sounding like hard work while not a whole lote of volume is coming out.

Granted she was never a vocal power house, but she used to more than make up 4 it with a certain
charm & spirit & emotion...

And then she has these moments where it sounds like she's not even trying, which puzzles me the most,
like in that Express Yourself clip (okay those were weird circumstances)...but also in her uptempo
guitar performances...As if she doesn't even care. Which is weird cuz she's supposed 2 b this perfectionist.

And having edited and overdubbed her concert recordings 4 decades now, I wonder what goes on in her head.

Or is it like in that Friends episode where Phoebe gets 2 hear the edited Smelly Cat ad :lol:

"U guys I totally sounds great!" :rotfl:

You hate everything she does. You hold her to an impossible standard with your cruel nasty posts. How do you know she wasn't trying? Of course you will blame me for being over sensitive, but sick of your bullying posts with all your misspellings. You think you are funny but you are just gross. 

I find the instrumentsl super chessy

Again as we saw on the rebel heart tour there is soemthing wrong with her band/harmonies, its all digital and she prob only sings to instrumentsl versions

On 7/6/2017 at 7:25 AM, Glindathegood said:

Why is it at the time when everyone was watching it live, everyone here was praising it and saying it was beautiful? But now everyone says it was awful? It seems to me people are influenced by the negativity of the media and social media instead of making up their own mind whether they like something. Everyone has to go along with the crowd and is scared to have an alternative opinion. A dance song would have been nice, but maybe not appropriate so soon after Prince's death. I thought her vocals were lovely and heart felt and she didn't deserve all the hate and ridicule. 

I was gonna say.....the tone of this thread is surprising to me because I remember a COMPLETELY different story that night and the days immediately following. She was getting praised to the high heavens for the tribute....not outside of the Madonna fan community obviously...lol...but here? YES. She was praised by most if I recall. I don't care what anyone says, as it's proven time and time again......people DO tend to follow the crowd. I wish someone would pull up the thread from the day MDNA leaked. I distinctly remember even the most vile of members saying it's her "best since ROL"......but as soon as that HUGE drop in sales from week 1 to week 2 happened and was heavily covered by the media, the whole tone changed. This Prince tribute is the same situation. I guess we're all guilty of it sometimes but it's just a shame to see as from here on out MOST things she does are going to be mocked and criticized outside of the fan base....not to be a negative Nancy but it's true. She's gonna have to "pull a ROL + LAP" combined in order to overcome that as she ages. It's unfortunate that a lot of her fans aren't going to be able to handle that and most likely will abandon her (as we've seen already) in order to be "cool".

It really didn't matter what she chose to perform. She was going to get slammed regardless. She was even before she performed anything! At the time, I thought (my wish) for her to do Controversy in a similar outfit to her BBMA '13 appearance would've been too much and considered "disrespectful" but hell....she was covered from head to toe and sang a ballad and received some of the worst criticism I've ever seen her receive so maybe she should've went the other direction. A tribute to his VMA's '91 performance perhaps? People acted as if Madonna was going to be the ONLY artist selected to do a tribute to him when the truth is, there's room for her tribute and the "big voiced, soulful" tributes as well. She was just as worthy as ANYONE....in fact MORE SO than some that did do "appropriate" tributes (ie: blatantly copy) him. BET was absolutely disrespectful to her and Prince with their little remarks.

As for her voice, as someone else mentioned, it sounded like Madonna's award show performance voice. Certainly not the voice we were used to hearing on RHT but FAR from being anywhere near her worst vocal performance.  I hope she does a Prince cover on her next album and performs it EVERY night on tour. Fuck those people that have a problem with it.