MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

MADONNA REWIND: Prince Tribute 2016

I think a lot of the criticism was about them not choosing an African American artist with a soulful voice to do a tribute, which to some may be a fair criticism. But I think they were more going for an epic pop star giving a tribute to another epic pop star, considering there really aren't any left due to Michael Jacksons and Whitney Houstons death. There really isn't anyone left of that mega pop star level aside from Madonna (and arguably Cher). 

Also, I love Madonna so much, but her voice does not easily translate to Prince's musical style. That is in no way a criticism of her voice, which I freaking LOVE. But his voice was funky and to be honest, I don't think anyone can really do justice covering his songs.

The instrumentation and perhaps song selection was not great. I would have loved it if she preformed Love Song with a male singer doing Prince's part. Anyone else think that Love Song would have been cool to hear?

I think she should have turned the performance down and instead given a speech the same way she did for MJ at the VMAs in 2009, and then she could have introduced Stevie Wonder. Personally that's my viewpoint. 

And we should stop using "she was so full of emotions" as an excuse for her poor live vocals, really. Having some vocal lessons is more beneficial for her reputation at this point rather than directing yet another movie that nobody cares about. 

I think she was trying to hard to outsing sinnead, because she sounded more like sinnead than prince´s version...it´s really difficult to cover such a famous song, probably she should have used a less famous one...but as somebody has said, the criticism would have still be there, I really think some people wanted an african american one.

That said, her tribute was better than bruno mars´ who was simply imitating him. D´angelo, Lenny kravitz.. have done good renditions too.

Why is it at the time when everyone was watching it live, everyone here was praising it and saying it was beautiful? But now everyone says it was awful? It seems to me people are influenced by the negativity of the media and social media instead of making up their own mind whether they like something. Everyone has to go along with the crowd and is scared to have an alternative opinion. A dance song would have been nice, but maybe not appropriate so soon after Prince's death. I thought her vocals were lovely and heart felt and she didn't deserve all the hate and ridicule. 

I think it's a very beautiful performance, the entrance, the throne, the outfit, the color palette, the cane and the rosary, she was the only true superstar who indeed had a relationship with Prince, but the song selection was too iconic from Sinead O. There were too many past cultural references attached to this song.

I've never cared if Madonna hits the note or not or is in perfect pitch all the time, that's not what she's about, and I'm a Stan for everything she does, I have always admired her determination to conquer whatever challenge comes across her but this time she was trying too hard, which in the end is perfectly fine by me. 

@Sanctuary I love Love Song, but I'm not sure if the audience would have had any reference to this song to connect with. 

As stated before, the emotion in her singing was very nice and she looked on point. Not crazy about the video montage from tour and her vocals could have been much better. I was very upset by the crazy social media backlash though.

5 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

And we should stop using "she was so full of emotions" as an excuse for her poor live vocals, really. Having some vocal lessons is more beneficial for her reputation at this point rather than directing yet another movie that nobody cares about. 

Except that her vocals weren't poor. A bit shaky and very raw, yes, but NC2U by Sinead has this agressive slightly out-of-tune vibe and Madonna went for it, too. Problem is that it's totally against her usual singing style, so it sounded weird. I loved it.

39 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

Except that her vocals weren't poor. A bit shaky and very raw, yes, but NC2U by Sinead has this agressive slightly out-of-tune vibe and Madonna went for it, too. Problem is that it's totally against her usual singing style, so it sounded weird. I loved it.

Then explain this atrocity where she sounded dry as hell. Whose singing style was she imitating here? Oops I forgot. This is actually HER OWN SONG and not a cover. 

I loved it then and still love it now. It's not one of her finest vocal performances, but who cares. It was heartfelt, sincere, and you could see she was clearly emotional. 

I DO wish she would've chosen a different song, as Sinead just owns it, but I can understand why she went that route. She's never been one to take the predictable road, so why would she start now. 

The vitriol and hatred thrown at her afterwards was disgusting. I guess I'm just still shocked at the intensity of dislike that people have for this woman. It's cruel and just so unfair. 

The comparison with Sinead's powerful performance of the song was inevitable and clearly not in her favour , but her tribute was so honest for the critics to be  so harsh .The inclusion of purple rain was a great choice in my opinion

If she went with another song, say an uptempo one, she would just have gotten criticism from another direction. That she tried to make it all about herself, she was disrespectful, etc. The choice of the song was perfect because of its lyrics. She sang it beautifully and she conveyed how much she missed him and how devastated she was by his loss. That's the point of a tribute. It's not a tour or a regular TV appearance.

2 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Then explain this atrocity where she sounded dry as hell. Whose singing style was she imitating here? Oops I forgot. This is actually HER OWN SONG and not a cover. 

Why should I explain this? I totally agree with you.

I only talked about the tribute and nothing else.

I adore Madonna but it was terrible the complete wrong song she murdered it.

Imagine the backlash had she rolled around on the floor in purple lace and sang Erotic City.  Or wore assless yellow pants... Or sang Pussy Control.  Or sang her Like a Prayer Prince duet (Love Song).  Or had she not mentioned Purple Rain at all.  She would have been lambasted, ostracized from public life and thrown out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Her tribute was emotional, poignant and honest.  Obviously, she was there mourning her friend and not for the publicity moment.  The hatred for Nothing Compares to U is a very non-Prince, dick move.  Prince wrote and sang more than 1000 songs (that true fans actually know about)... so those who do not associate one of those songs with its Creator are casual fans at best.  Nothing Compares to U is on nearly every one of Prince's "best of" compilations.  So why pretend that it is less of a Prince songs than Little Red Corvette?

Imagine if Madonna were to die.  Would we all get pissed about an honest, emotional tribute?   If Prince would have sang Who's that Girl, Take a Bow or This Used to Be My Playground, would we be offended that he didn't choose Like a Prayer or Like a Virgin?  Would people be angry if Britney or Gaga sang Ray of Light "too slowly" or with alternate instrumentation?  Would radio stations and television stations have been focussed on the race or star power of the artist paying tribute?  BET in particular ignored all that Prince was when they attacked his grieving friend for her honesty.  

Madonna did a tremendous job as she was there solely to mourn a vacancy in both the music industry and her own personal life.   M was there to honor the man, his work and his legacy..... and that is exactly what she did.   I felt that she was singing to Prince himself that night and she came across as a fan, a collegue and a friend.  

I liked the whole thing

that's all

I think she sounds beautiful here.  I guess I have odd tastes when it comes to her vocals. I don't consider myself an apologist because there are definitely aspects of her career that I don't like. However, I've noticed that when fans really hate certain live performances of hers such as TPOG at VH1 Fashion Awards and this Prince tribute, I tend to genuinely enjoy them.  A "bad" live vocal for me is her Coachella performance.

6 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

This is a bad vocal performance, she has plenty of them in the golden years too, like WTGT and BAT post Japan. Not to mention the atrocity of the ROL era (bar Oprah).

You act like it's new, it's not. 

This said, the Prince tribute was great vocally + the performance overall was respectful and heartfelt.

On 7/5/2017 at 3:28 PM, FeTuoni said:

Am I the only one who thinks she sounds good? NC2u is a really difficult song to sing. And I think she did a hell of a job. Especially considering the occasion, the emotion and the adrenaline. Of course people would give her shit. Madonna can never win. I'm glad she went up there and paid homage to her peer/friend/collaborator. People would be all over... say... THE WEEKND who was fumbling the lyrics to FUCKING PURPLE RAIN.

23 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I thought it was honest, emotional and beautiful.  Was well received and praised at the time but once all the Madonna haters who thought she had no right to be there, spewed on her all over Twitter etc,  she was then criticised for everything.    It obviously meant a great deal to her, she showed him such respect and the backlash she received before the event for being chosen to perform plus also the disgusting comments well after the event was shameful in my opinion.   Even suggesting she did not know Prince etc.  The pure emotion she showed plus the shaking and tears in her eyes was real and true.  She looked beautiful too.  

THIS.

I thought it was beautiful, heartfelt, and just the right tone for the moment.

I never understood those wanting some big dance performance. She was really one of the first to tribute him, as it had only been a few weeks since he died. I don't think a big dance medley would have made sense, nor felt right. I can understand that 'other show' doing all their tributes as they did as it was nearly a few more weeks later and it made more sense. But this was still so close to his death. If felt more like a eulogy, and rightfully so. And, this wasn't just a peer of each others time in the industry...it was someone she personally knew (and spoke to often from what has been said).

Would I like to see her have a stronger band and musical direction overall? Sure. But I thought it was still quite sufficient for the time given. Now, if they had more rehearsal time, and had given her a longer performance time, I would have loved to see Stevie at his piano doing a full rendition of "Purple Rain" with her. I also would have loved to see some of Prince's musical colleagues also join her, but as she said, she offered and it was too soon for them (and that's understandable).
All that being said, I think it hit just the right tone for the time given to pull it off. AND, given the lyrics and meaning of "Nothing Compares 2U", it was the perfect song choice.

To this day though, the negativity afterward was just downright disrespectful - to both Madonna and Prince. I get that M will cop criticism for everything she does, but the kind of things said by so many were just disgusting and uncalled for. Period. No excuse for it. And what BET pulled with that ad for their show still pisses me the fuck off. Just wrong on EVERY level. Regardless of whether anyone 'liked' what she did or not... you just don't pull that kind of shit after something like this.

4 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

And what BET pulled with that ad for their show still pisses me the fuck off. Just wrong on EVERY level. Regardless of whether anyone 'liked' what she did or not... you just don't pull that kind of shit after something like this.

Yes, what they did to her can't be forgiven. 

11 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Why is it at the time when everyone was watching it live, everyone here was praising it and saying it was beautiful? But now everyone says it was awful? It seems to me people are influenced by the negativity of the media and social media instead of making up their own mind whether they like something. Everyone has to go along with the crowd and is scared to have an alternative opinion. A dance song would have been nice, but maybe not appropriate so soon after Prince's death. I thought her vocals were lovely and heart felt and she didn't deserve all the hate and ridicule. 

THIS too.

3 hours ago, sul8323 said:

Imagine the backlash had she rolled around on the floor in purple lace and sang Erotic City.  Or wore assless yellow pants... Or sang Pussy Control.  Or sang her Like a Prayer Prince duet (Love Song).  Or had she not mentioned Purple Rain at all.  She would have been lambasted, ostracized from public life and thrown out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Her tribute was emotional, poignant and honest.  Obviously, she was there mourning her friend and not for the publicity moment.  The hatred for Nothing Compares to U is a very non-Prince, dick move.  Prince wrote and sang more than 1000 songs (that true fans actually know about)... so those who do not associate one of those songs with its Creator are casual fans at best.  Nothing Compares to U is on nearly every one of Prince's "best of" compilations.  So why pretend that it is less of a Prince songs than Little Red Corvette?

Imagine if Madonna were to die.  Would we all get pissed about an honest, emotional tribute?   If Prince would have sang Who's that Girl, Take a Bow or This Used to Be My Playground, would we be offended that he didn't choose Like a Prayer or Like a Virgin?  Would people be angry if Britney or Gaga sang Ray of Light "too slowly" or with alternate instrumentation?  Would radio stations and television stations have been focussed on the race or star power of the artist paying tribute?  BET in particular ignored all that Prince was when they attacked his grieving friend for her honesty.  

Madonna did a tremendous job as she was there solely to mourn a vacancy in both the music industry and her own personal life.   M was there to honor the man, his work and his legacy..... and that is exactly what she did.   I felt that she was singing to Prince himself that night and she came across as a fan, a collegue and a friend.  

Beautifully stated.

3 hours ago, sul8323 said:

:clap:

22 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

To this day though, the negativity afterward was just downright disrespectful - to both Madonna and Prince. I get that M will cop criticism for everything she does, but the kind of things said by so many were just disgusting and uncalled for. Period. No excuse for it. And what BET pulled with that ad for their show still pisses me the fuck off. Just wrong on EVERY level. Regardless of whether anyone 'liked' what she did or not... you just don't pull that kind of shit after something like this.

Totally!!! Disrespectful and uncalled for, people being mean just by the sake of being assholes.