MadonnaNation.com Forums

She actually can (or could) sing live. 

She had a little something on her voice. Had she actually put effort on her voice, she could've made herself sound decent.

10 hours ago, dylanciccone_ said:

After the comments on her singing live, I guess she decided to last night.

And her,body is AMAZING.

10 hours ago, dylanciccone_ said:

After the comments on her singing live, I guess she decided to last night.

Whitney is shook! Queen of melisma and growling! Xtina who?

But seriously her voice has a lot of character to it and her vocal style has definitely inspired many pop stars post-00.

:lol:

Mime 20 years 

Be lazy as a doormat 

Don't ever make any input in your career 

Be a train wreck 

And then,  when you try a little bit, everyone will applaud :lmao:

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

Mime 20 years 

Be lazy as a doormat 

Be a train wreck 

Exactly. We really live an era where people like to value and encourage mediocrity. Which is why Britney still has a career, why the Kardashian poison public space for 10 years, why any anorexic girl with a popular Instagram account is now considered a model. This context of mediocrity favored the election of Trump.

We can enjoy her absurd career,  but really,  she's useless and absurd. Yes,  got a big amount of money invested in her career and the result there's like six hits we all love.  But really... 

Britney's voice was good. If the story was true that the record company forced her to sing a different way, then that explains a lot.

2 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Exactly. We really live an era where people like to value and encourage mediocrity. Which is why Britney still has a career, why the Kardashian poison public space for 10 years, why any anorexic girl with a popular Instagram account is now considered a model. This context of mediocrity favored the election of Trump.

Yes. Exactly what's wrong with the world. People who made Paris Hilton a name are the same ones who went to vote for Trump.

My sister saw Britney several years ago at msg. She said that she was sometimes dancing strange. My cousin also attended last mtv awards. She Indicated that she was obviously lip syncing too. 

Britney doesn't bother me because feel compassion toward her. She clearly had mental issues and is tightly controlled. Some of her gay fans are a different story. They can be very annoying and have poor taste. lol 

Remember when she tried to sing her live single live but realised its nothing without madonna

On 1 July 2017 at 6:22 AM, Nikki said:

i hate those types of "voices" with the bland little extras like xtina always does. that's what they always hear on x factor/thevoice

Same here. Hated Britney's version of Happy Birthday.  Did all of those annoying, unnecessary off melody riffs that those talent shows convince people is part of being a great singer and showing range.  Truth is, it is MUCH more difficult to stay on melody within the key.  I also think Mariah and Christina would be much better singers without doing that.  

On 30/06/2017 at 9:32 PM, Martin B. said:

This is the most insulting thing with Britney and some other poptarts: they are so lazy and put so little effort and pride into what they do. Britney has a small voice, but if she put in a little effort, she would sing no worse than J.LO. The length of her career is an insult to all the pop artists who have worked but have not managed to exceed the 5 years of standard success. Britney presents herself on stage in the same way as a person who does her work for strictly financial reasons: she carries out her work without passion and without the will to execute it well.

21 hours ago, karbatal said:

Mime 20 years 

Be lazy as a doormat 

Be a train wreck 

18 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Martin B and Karbatal,  you are both spot on.  

Britney is a sweet and harmless girl who I think people have a soft spot on.  I know I do and never can dislike her in any way despite thinking she is unprofessional, lazy and protected.   Also she has some great pop singles that have stood the test of time.  But, the excuses that are given for her is unbelievable.   She is a professional singer who has made millions yet never bothers to sing live anymore and is always on auto pilot.  It really was brought home how little expectations is put on her when Madonna was treated like dirt by some critics at the Billboard awards after singing live and emotionally in the Prince tribute and Britney mimed to a tape of her hits while dancing around like a stripper at a club at the same awards and was praised by the exact same critics.  The praise was because she had some energy, her body looked good and she was not a train wreck.  No wonder she never sings live because no body expects her too.  Gets a free pass all the time. 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Britney is a sweet and harmless girl who I think people have a soft spot on.  I know I do and never can dislike her in any way despite thinking she is unprofessional, lazy and protected.   Also she has some great pop singles that have stood the test of time.  But, the excuses that are given for her is unbelievable.   She is a professional singer who has made millions yet never bothers to sing live anymore and is always on auto pilot.  It really was brought home how little expectations is put on her when Madonna was treated like dirt by some critics at the Billboard awards after singing live and emotionally in the Prince tribute and Britney mimed to a tape of her hits while dancing around like a stripper at a club at the same awards and was praised by the exact same critics.  The praise was because she had some energy, her body looked good and she was not a train wreck.  No wonder she never sings live because no body expects her too.  Gets a free pass all the time. 

It's called MISOGYNY.  Women are expected to look young,  sexy and dumb.  If you dare anything different they will scrutinise you and mark all the flaws as it they were a sin. If you fit the cliche like Britney or Beyonce you are praised and all is in your favour.  

Had Madonna been in her 20s or 30s and mimed When Doves Cry in lingerie,  all would have clapped. 

38 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It's called MISOGYNY.  Women are expected to look young,  sexy and dumb.  If you dare anything different they will scrutinise you and mark all the flaws as it they were a sin. If you fit the cliche like Britney or Beyonce you are praised and all is in your favour.  

Had Madonna been in her 20s or 30s and mimed When Doves Cry in lingerie,  all would have clapped. 

Great points.

The funny thing is that Madonna looked beautiful at the Billboard awards in the purple suit.   She looked far more attractive than Britney did.  Also, I think Madonna has always got criticism for everything.  When she dresses sexy, she is described as a slut and bad role model etc.  Happened all the time in the 80's.  People were ready to trash the life out of her if she dressed sexy at that tribute although Prince did throughout his career.  Then when she sang in the purple suit in such a raw, emotional and lovely performance, they trashed her for that too.  I know I sound like a whiny Madonna fan but it is so noticeable. She never gets any excuses made for her and she does not expect them or play for them.   Still, I would rather her be the true professional that she is than be a fraud/dreadful performer like so many others even though they don't cop the same criticism.  We are all always proud to be fans of hers. 

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Same here. Hated Britney's version of Happy Birthday.  Did all of those annoying, unnecessary off melody riffs that those talent shows convince people is part of being a great singer and showing range.  Truth is, it is MUCH more difficult to stay on melody within the key.  I also think Mariah and Christina would be much better singers without doing that.  

this is OT, and has nothing to do with britney because she's a sweet girl and im happy she has her good moment. But at the same this proves just how bad the music industry is nowadays. 

I find it so disrespectful to see that when someone does these vocal styles, the "social consensus" is to put them on a high pedestal. everything else they do doesn't matter. they can be lazy, annoying, pretentious, do nothing interesting or creative.. all of that is allowed because of ONE thing, like it's their free pass. (and we're talking about pop culture here, not the opera)

it's enough for many people to claim they're more talented than say Madonna even though from a creative standpoint she's much more intriguing.

There's also another thing that feels really wrong about all of this.. men are NEVER judged harshly for their vocals. I saw rolling stones performances and mick jagger can't sing for SHIT. he doesnt even try. does anyone care? no. but female singers aren't respected in any way unless they do these annoying vocal aerobics a la xtina OR just happen to have a big powerful voice. they can be very creative and interesting, but not being known as having a big voice is enough for a woman to be written off as a whore or untalented.

(edit: I made this post without seeing the newer replies here. you all already pointed out what I did here, so we're in agreement :))

On 6/30/2017 at 8:38 AM, karbatal said:

She should have been a one hit wonder,  to be quite honest.  Since the second single her whole career is absurd. 

A one hit wonder for ...Baby One More Time or Toxic? 

Toxic demolishes ...Baby One More Time in all aspects of recurrent plays. 

12 hours ago, mimimong said:

Remember when she tried to sing her live single live but realised its nothing without madonna

I can't help but observe that her performing from 1999-2004, including 3 out of the 4 vmas, is a replication of Janet Jackson's style.

5 hours ago, zmcvb said:

A one hit wonder for ...Baby One More Time or Toxic? 

Toxic demolishes ...Baby One More Time in all aspects of recurrent plays. 

Please we don't need Britney apologists who log in a Madonna forum to defend her. What a waste of time and space :lmao:

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

Please we don't need Britney apologists who log in a Madonna forum to defend her. What a waste of time and space :lmao:

Well if her music catalog is going to be used in a Broadway show, which is reportedly the case, while also simultaneously being an impossibility for the musical catalogs of Beyonce, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera and, as we all found out, the Spice Girls, she probably had more than six good songs.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:38 AM, karbatal said:

She should have been a one hit wonder,  to be quite honest.  Since the second single her whole career is absurd. 

In retrospect, it also looks like the former teen pop star kick-started the dubstep trend in pop which Rihanna, Taylor Swift and others rode.

Edited by zmcvb
accuracy

During her peak, Britney was good. She mimed in some shows, not all the time, but she built her career mostly on being a good performer (dancing most of it). 

I'll take her at her peak over the no-star-quality pop starlets of today who can sing but has no emotions and can't dance either.

On 7/2/2017 at 1:19 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Someone mentioned in an early Britney thread before that perhaps the reason for this is that the media were responsible for Britney's breakdown and descent. Since there's guilt perhaps on their part, they put kid gloves when treating her after that.

7 hours ago, karbatal said:

Resultado de imagen de sure jan gif

Britney rarely gets the credit for introducing dubstep to mainstream American pop with the wobble bass of 2007’s Freakshow. So her embrace of its EDMed-up iteration brostep on 2011’s Femme Fatale was less about trend-jacking and more about picking up where she left off.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/aug/24/britney-spears-10-of-the-best

Despite the shaved heads and the husbands and the sweatpants, Britney Spears has always been known in the pop world for the progressive sounds in her songs. Her most inventive album was 2007's Blackout, which was released at a time when Ms. Spears was, well, receiving all sorts of publicity for everything but her music. The twelve tracks -- some of the raciest Spears has ever recorded -- are also the most intriguing in her catalogue to date. This one, "Freakshow," was well ahead of its time because of one helluva hook, built around, of all things, a wobbly bass line.

http://www.westword.com/music/when-pop-goes-dubstep-six-pop-songs-propelled-by-the-undeniable-whomp-of-the-wobbly-bass-5697707

By this time,dubstep's influence had reached the U.S. pop scene, too, most notably with Britney Spears' track “Freakshow.” Critics immediately noticed the influence of dubstep sounds and "wobble" bass effects.

https://books.google.com/books?id=P9IiBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT29&lpg=PT29&dq=By+this+time,dubstep's+influence+had+reached+the+U.S.+pop+scene,+too,+most+notably+with+Britney+Spears'+track+“Freakshow.”+Critics+immediately+noticed+the&source=bl&ots=yDAGCdoKxN&sig=pMBZ_V9oTbSwHq0t6luPvIrUwv4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCsaDooe7UAhUBWCYKHSw_BZUQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=By this time%2Cdubstep's influence had reached the U.S. pop scene%2C too%2C most notably with Britney Spears' track “Freakshow.” Critics immediately noticed the&f=false

Most critics rightfully credit Britney for starting the dubstep trend in pop music during the late 2000s and early 2010s, way, way after her days as a teen pop-bubblegum princess years a decade earlier, so there's not much that can be done about that.

More pertinent (and worrying/distressing/disappointing/unfathomable/bothering/troubling/upsetting to some?) is the fact that one of the best performers of her generation P!nk, has around the same amount of dates as Britney (10) for her set of concerts this summer and may gross less than Britney. In 2017.